• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Excellent thread for me to start. As a long time lurker, I always enjoyed this one and wished it'd grow.

Off hat, I can think of one major story which was always unsettling and bizarre to me. It was the story about the women in the washing room basement of an old apartment complex in Washing State USA who saw a 5 or 6 ft tall orange shrimp in the water hole to the back of the apparently vast and poorly lit basement. Her account appeared in an early addition of FT, and her phone interview seemed oddly convincing. She even said it took a step at her while waving it's antennae. It added a strange creepiness that she had nothing to call the creature until years later when she observed brine shrimp in an aquarium.

Six foot shrimp. Mmm, good eatin'.

I'll probably dredge up some others later. As a parting note, has anyone tried contacting the guy with the dancing cow account? I had always thought that the story either had to have a logical explaination or be a real X-filer, because you'd have to be Stephen King on acid to come up with it spontaneously just to hoax the internet. I wonder if similar accounts exist, or if anyone's spoken with people from that area about it.

Ah, I got another. Better write it up now or forget.

Probably all poppycock, but when I was 13 or so I had a friend with a sort of low income family branch. One of his cousin lived in a shabby district of a southern mill town where alot of the houses were abandonded or in otherwise disrepair. One time while I was staying with him, his mother had to run something to this cousin's mother, and we were dragged along with her. The cousin, a girl, wasn't at home, but her sister was there and showed us her room; a sort of depressingly sparse space with a single, spartan bed, and difuse, malarial lights yellowed by dust over the bulb. After we left my friend started telling me a story his cousin had told him, he claims, when she warned him not to "dabble in the occult." At the time of the supposed occurence, the "Satanic Panic" was in effect, and some of the local kids had taken up superficial dabbling, probably as a form of defiance in the face of adult fears. This girl was among them and claimed to cast spells over pentagrams, the whole lot. She, accoridng to my friend, claimed that one night she had settled in for bed and just closed her eyes when she noticed a pegging sound just feet away. Upon opening her eyes, she witnessed a "goatman" with a babby carriage pacing the floor and looking pallidly off into distant space. She closed her eyes again in fear, and reflexively opened them to see that the goatman had appeared a step over in line closer to her bedside. Here it becomes even more UL-ish, but the girl screams for Jesus to banish the fiend and so it is. In the tale, she swears off all occult practices thenceforth.

Sounds an awful lot like a modern "warning tale," but the imagery is strange and freakish. Probably seems moreso to me because I was the room with its hollow, wooden floors and sick-yellow light.

Have at.

Vitrius said:
As a parting note, has anyone tried contacting the guy with the dancing cow account? I had always thought that the story either had to have a logical explaination or be a real X-filer, because you'd have to be Stephen King on acid to come up with it spontaneously just to hoax the internet. I wonder if similar accounts exist, or if anyone's spoken with people from that area about it.

Contacting the people involved would be interesting. I was thinking about the dancing cows just the other day; remembering that they seem familiar -- perhaps, from an advert? Perhaps, the cows were painted on the side of a delivery truck.

Oh, nevermind! i see that Diobolik had the same idea a few messages back.

I'm reminded of a rather odd story I came across years ago in a book called "The World's Greatest Mysteries." I've fished it out so I can quote it here. It apparently relates to the Tower of London.

In 1817, Edward Swifte, Keeper of the Crown Jewels, whose family lived with him in Martin Tower, saw an apparition like a glass tube as thick as a man's arm, filled with white and blue liquid, hovering above his supper table.

That's it. But that bizarre image stayed with me ever since. Has anyone come across it elsewhere?

(Edit: regarding the dancing cows, I did a search for images relating to dancing cows, and found this book cover, which, at first, I thought was the scene described in the story. Of course, looking closer, it's two girls, not two bulls, and one of them is the wrong colour, but still... I wanted to share it with you. http://www.mnhs.org/market/mhspress/0039.html )

MrHyde said:
And Mickey Mouse was standing on the other side, lifesize.
(sound of eyeballs getting really big all over the world, regardless of whether you believe it or not).

That's it I am offically freaked out now. Ghosties don't scare me, I'm not afraid of the dark but things like that where the normal is turned on it's head just absolutely terrify me......please stop posting stories about penguins and shrimps, I don't like it.......can't stop myself reading them though.

Vitrius said:
Excellent thread for me to start. As a long time lurker, I always enjoyed this one and wished it'd grow.
It gets resuscitated quite often. I'm sure Dan would be proud. :D

Off hat, I can think of one major story which was always unsettling and bizarre to me. It was the story about the women in the washing room basement of an old apartment complex in Washing State USA who saw a 5 or 6 ft tall orange shrimp in the water hole to the back of the apparently vast and poorly lit basement. Her account appeared in an early addition of FT, and her phone interview seemed oddly convincing. She even said it took a step at her while waving it's antennae. It added a strange creepiness that she had nothing to call the creature until years later when she observed brine shrimp in an aquarium.

Is this the story?

I wonder if similar accounts exist...
This one has some interesting parallels, no?

Originally posted by Elisheva
Contacting the people involved would be interesting. I was thinking about the dancing cows just the other day; remembering that they seem familiar -- perhaps, from an advert? Perhaps, the cows were painted on the side of a delivery truck.
I emailed the guy who wrote "Muppett Nightmare" and "Black-eyed Kids" but never got a response. I doubt he ever read it because he said he had thousands of emails to look over and now his site is down. BTW,am I the only one who pictures the dancing cows as looking like actual flesh-and-blood cows and not cartoons?

Some events that have always struck me as odd:

Sometime in the 1970s - one witness driving his car near Chard (Somerset) saw a man with a dog walk stright out into the road in front of him. He had no time to slow down and so hit them. He then was suprised to see them both flip over the car as it made contact, and that they looked alot like some sort of cardboard cut-out. As is the usual case with such road 'ghosts', when the motorist stopped to see what had happened, the road behind his car was completely empty.

1966 - Man travelling by car at night saw his headlight beams suddenly bend at right angles in the distance. Looking to one side, he saw the the beams seemed to point towards an object in a nearby field, which then flew away (Wycheproof, Victoria, Australia).

1966 - woman was woken by barking dogs at 5.30am and saw a human-like entity 5 foot 6 inches tall wearing a yellow jacket and trousers with no discernable pockets or fasteners. It's head was huge and moon-shaped, the back of which appeared to be flat when viewed from the side. It also had straggly 'mud-coloured' hair, very broad shoulders and walked with a stiff mechanical movement with it's arms held firmly to it's sides and without bending it's legs.

I also recall another incident where two women travelling by car at night had their engine stall, after which there was a rain of brown slime, followed by a foul smell, and a weird lighting display. As this was oging on they noticed that the cows in a nearby field were standing completely motionless and that all of the grass was standing bolt upright. (Will try to track that one down for a locale).

Jerry, no rush, but I was wondering if you could share with us the sources you got these experiences from. These are the kind of stories I thrive on. :wow: The ones that don't fit into any known category like ghosts or ufo's, or that have elements of more than one category within them.

Bannik said:
This one has some interesting parallels, no?

Why did I follow this link to THAT painting? Will I sleep tonight? :eek!!!!:

BTW,am I the only one who pictures the dancing cows as looking like actual flesh-and-blood cows and not cartoons?

Excellent question. I imagine the cows as realistically drawn, but obviously graphics.

Bannik said:
Jerry, no rush, but I was wondering if you could share with us the sources you got these experiences from. These are the kind of stories I thrive on. :wow: The ones that don't fit into any known category like ghosts or ufo's, or that have elements of more than one category within them.

The first event I described was, IIRC, described FT quite some time ago. The second was from John A. Keel's 'The Complete Guide To Mysterious Beings', and the third is somehwere in the Gazeteer of Strange Events which resides at the back of Janet and Colin Bord's 'Modern Mysteries of the World'. (IMHO, this last book is worth buying just for the Gazeteer alone, if you're interested in alot of anomalous events which don't necessarily fit any catagory). I tend to present them here in reduced form because that's the style I use for my Fortean Timeline.

Thanks, Jerry.

Has anyone come across it elsewhere?
Darrenxyz, that and a similar case are mentioned in this post. That whole thread is worth a read I think.

Bannik said:
Darrenxyz, that and a similar case are mentioned in this post. That whole thread is worth a read I think.

Ah, nicely done. I like threads like this which tie other threads together. :)

I do to, so I thought I'd link to this thread as well, as it's also about high strangeness cases.

I think my favorite for this thread must be my favorite of all.
Gef The Talking Mongoose.
It seems so normal, An isolated household, Mum, Dad, a daughter and a talking mongoose....

Some put it down to a polty case but I have read many polty cases from all over the world, ok the cultural milleu and explaination changes, but they all have a basic similarity. (same for abductions)

An attention seeking disorder?? But why so darn `weird`??

And why did so many people take it seriously???

Gef the talking mongoose

Gef the Talking Mongoose has a number of features in common with fairy and witch traditions; and also an analog in the Bell Witch (also usually labeled a poltergeist despite aberrant features) case in Tennessee.

Common phenomenology - common cause? Maybe; or maybe the fairy and witch traditions influenced the interpretation of distinct phenomena or the form that a hoax or delusion took; or maybe the ETs exile their practical jokers to earth...

One of the things I love is the way, when you spread it all out, you can see that it's all the same thing but at the same time, it's all wildly weirdly different and then you start analyzing the patterns you see and wondering if the patterns are real or you create them and then you start wondering what real is -

Nothing keeps the brain limber like Forteana!

Dancing Cows

I can't find the original post!:confused:
BTW,am I the only one who pictures the dancing cows as looking like actual flesh-and-blood cows and not cartoons?
I picture them as real cows, which is quite freakish, but I also can't resist the temptation to picture them as Gary Larsen (Far Side) cows, which I find hilarious.

Gef the Talking Mongoose

Gef is one of my favorite stories. I read about it once when I was very young (8, maybe?) and it's always stuck in my memory. I can't even remember now what the book was and I didn't come across another reference until about a year or two ago, but it always stuck in my mind.

Especially when I started hearing a sound in the ceiling of my room which sounded like an animal about that size moving around! It would scratch and thump around every night and keep me awake, just waiting for Gef to say "hi":eek:, until I discovered it was just a rather large possum who had found a way in between floors (the house was built partly into the side of a hill, and I was in the basement anyway).

I have also always enjoyed the Bell Witch story, and always think of it when I eat hazel nuts (which I love).

Really? I always think about when I'm asleep with my mouth open. Well, obviously I don't, but I do afterwards. And shudder.

"I got him whilst he was sleeping", remember?

Hi

I think anyone who likes this thread will also like this one. It's subtler. The strangeness isn't quite so high, but it's one of my favorites.

Hell, it's probably in here somewhere, but...

What about the "flesh fall." Some one here knows more about it, since I've heard it mentioned.

Even the most prosaic solution might be rather greusome.

There have been a few reports of flesh and blood falls. Which one are you looking for?

Bump for raining flesh.

And while we're at it:

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/2003/jun/m28-002.shtml

Especially weird is the one about the trickster-like green man appearing in town. I wonder if it was a midget being a bit naughty actually. It appears beclawed predatory bigfoots are quite an item in South America. Also, one of the stories turns up on our very own IHTM board - and it features the infamous stickmen no less!

Now, rains of beclawed bigfoots and stickmen...it could happen.

I was told this by a friend, who apparently heard it on the local radio station.
A man was driving at night ( somewhere in Wiltshire I believe near Avebury, but I can't confirm it, who glanced out of his side window to see a disembodied skull looking at him and keeping pace with the car, he swore it was not his reflection but something outside the vehicle. I don't believe it, because I think if that happened a person driving would have slammed on the brakes, driven into a fence or otherwise had a bad accident, but it did make me shiver.

One of the phenomena that always interested me was "sky-lines". I read about them in one of my older paranormal books, but I can't remember which. Basically, sky-lines are finger-thick threads of... something... that sag down to touch the earth but seemingly have no end, soaring up into the sky as far as can be seen, remaining stationary for days or even weeks.

As I recall, one story had a couple of guys grabbing a sky-line from a roof and reeling it in for days, but still neither end came into view. Another had a piece being examined by some lab or other, the result being only that the line itself was composed of unknown hard outer coating and a jelly-like liquid centre. Sounds yummy...

Yes, I've read about that phenomenon too, although I can't remember which books now, and it does seem strange, these filamentary lines that seem to almost have no end and - seemingly - no source. Now I must see if I can dig out some sources for them.

Or the planes/trucks which leave long tangled streams of silver electrical tape for no good reason whatsover. Lots of reports from the early 70s of 'unmarked' planes dumping this stuff.

Dunno if this counts as high weirdness or some far out example of an alien encounter (dating as it does before the Grey paradigm steam rollered verything else):

WEIRD WISCONSIN
RICHARD D. HENDRICKS

March 16, 2004

Five seconds can change a young person’s life.

In those fleet but immeasurable moments, some find a cause to which they devote their entire lives. Some experience an inexplicable high from which they never come down, or for whom everything after is blighted. Others make one fatal mistake that snuffs out a life barely begun.

Recognition fails others who shamble into queue with other zombies plodding gerbil wheels. And for some, that moment brings questions that haunt the rest of their days.

Eau Claire River, west of Barstow Bridge (Photo: Richard Hendricks)

In June 1978, downtown Eau Claire’s South Barstow Street was pulsing with activity. Two thriving movie palaces with another one-half block off, several rowdy saloons thanks to the sensible drinking age of 18, pizza joints, a furniture outlet, book and antique stores, clothiers, and more. Like other downtowns, urban sprawl took a dagger to the city’s heart in the late 1980s, although in recent years life flutters anew.

The Eau Claire River bisects Barstow, North and South. The north has always been the rough side, with ancient barber shops, graceless wooden storefronts, and taverns where at the time a quarter would buy an eight ounce tapper of Walter’s and a shot of Jim Beam. Squalidly vibrant.

Night – clear and warm. Two cousins, Kevin and Tim, 20, and a friend, Steve, 19, fishing just west of the Barstow bridge, a few hundred feet upstream from where the river terminates at the Chippewa.

The trio fished four, five nights a week, sometimes dropping off dates before casting lines for a few hours. Two and three story buildings crowded the south bank; they sat on rocks in the shadow of hulking brick structures on the north. Feeble yellow light from the bridge – otherwise, a narrow, dark canyon. Time? The witching hour.

The three hunkered quietly, waiting for fish to take bait. Endless black water rolled.

Kevin noticed it first. Down river, a tree had fallen. Above it, some five or six feet, there it was, dangling. Words failed; he watched, disbelieving.

Then Tim’s attention tugged. Neither could say why – no movement, no light, no noise – but some internal warning sounded, causing each in turn to angle an eye downs tream . Tim saw it, glanced at Kevin still hooked down river. Tim swiveled back. Still there. Turning to Kevin: “You might think I’m crazy or something, but ... what is it?”

Steve – snagged now too.

No traffic rumbling over the bridge; only an eerie stillness.

It – a lighted entity mid-air. Not on the tree; the water; the bank. Six, seven feet tall, willowy, with a silvery, shimmering metallic look. Possibly a suit of some kind, wrinkled but tight. The suit, reflective, like burnished aluminum, cast no reflection in the water. Glowing softly – self illuminating.

Everything elongated; spidery long legs, long spindly arms, lengthy thin torso.

Atop, a close fitting helmet with an opaque face shield. Gloves, but none remembered feet. Kevin insisted it resembled an astronaut’s suit, but streamlined, not bulky.

Tim: “Never moved. It just looked like it was staring at us. I think that’s what unnerved Steve, is that he thought it was looking at him. But I don’t think it was staring at us.”

An immeasurable moment; the alluring luminous entity against a black sky, the trio transfixed. Then it turned ... took a step ... disappeared.

Kevin: “You couldn’t see no facial. Its head didn’t move, its arms didn’t move, ‘til it turned, a little bit, and it took one step like it would have went off that tree, and it was gone. It kind of moved sideways and gone, disappeared.”

That’s when Steve threw his fishing pole in the water, took off running.

Tim: “I didn’t have fear, but him taking off like that with the panic that he had there, it was like, ‘Whoa, wait a minute, maybe we should get out of here’.”

Kevin: “What really got us to go and run, was when it stepped off that tree, it disappeared. It didn’t drop into the water, it just disappeared.”

They tore away in their truck, slinging gravel. Kevin and Tim returned the next day to look for evidence. Nothing. For the longest time they wouldn’t return to fish. Steve never has.

Tim: “The first time we came back here fishing, we come out, set our worms down on the ledge, set our poles down, climbed up and hung our feet over the edge and just sat there and stared there. I don’t know for how long. We just looked.”

Over the years they’ve joked privately about the Aluminum Guy. Steve won’t talk. He fears a visit from Men in Black.

Kevin: “I don’t care if you think I’m crazy or not, I know what I seen.” Tim agrees: “It seemed very, very real.”

After a quarter century their experience still haunts. Quietly they’ve asked around – what was it? what does it mean? why us? – but the solution – if any – remains as elusive as dreams.

Richard D. Hendricks is the man behind the curtain at Weird Wisconsin and newsline editor of The Anomalist.

http://www.wisconsinite.net/ae/weird/issue03.php

Back