• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

The witness was Beryl Hickey, and the event took place in Mandurah, Western Aurstralia in 1930. The creature is described as having large ears, a slit mouth, and bulging eyes. It's skin looked as if it were wet or covered in oil. It stood about half a metre high.

It sounds like a baby kangaroo to me.I wonder how much they had to drink that night?

From the Humanoid Database, a encounter with a rather sarcastic alien:
Location. Hyeres-Toulon France
Date: October 15 1954
Time: unknown

Jean Reppelline and Raymond Ottaviani were motorcycling between Toulon and
Hyeres when a flying saucer landed on stick like legs; it was discoidal with a
cupola, and with 2 protrusions like ears. Out stepped a man in glowing gray
coveralls. Ottaviani asked; "Are you a Martian?" "No, I'm French" was the reply.
"Where am I?" On being told, he re-entered the craft and ascended vertically.

And check out this talking bear

bump.
oh well. i'm pathetic. it must be the third or fourth time i try to bump this thread.
anyway, i don't care. bump!

ginoide said:
bump.
oh well. i'm pathetic. it must be the third or fourth time i try to bump this thread.
anyway, i don't care. bump!

You won't catch any grief from me. This thread is a hoot. :)

Sleeping, Flying Frisbee Cats and a White Stick-Man!

I stumbled upon the following only a few days after this thread re-surfaced, and if this isn't gibbering insanity, I don't know what is. Sorry about the length, but I love it when an account snowballs and gives us several ghost/fortean/paranormal stories for the price of one, and I tried to include the "extras".

Artist and writer Robert Lee Eskridge, born 1891, was a world traveller. As a young man he lived in Rikitea, the modest capital of the Gambier Islands, a small archipelago on the Tropic of Capricorn w*a*y* out in the Pacific. His book _Manga Reva_ (1931) is mainly concerned with Father Honore Laval's self-made "empire" in the Gambiers, but he also writes of extremely odd events that occurred to him and his friend Tom, the latter a materialistic American.

Eskridge had encountered some spooky phenomena during his stay, and he and Tom argued occasionally about "the other world." One evening Tom let it slip that he had had unusual encounters of his own, and at Eskridge's insistence he elaborated.

One night, when walking to the farm where his girlfriend lived, Tom spotted a "monstrous black dog" ambling toward him. It passed Tom "quite close," yet the American was certain that "there is no such dog on the whole island of Manga Reva, or any of the other islands of the Gambier." The local natives called it _ure ere ere te Manga Reva_, "The Black Dog of Manga Reva."

Another evening Tom had an argument with his girlfriend, an islander named Pindini. He decided to spend the night in a shack on the native farm rather than travel home. During the night "the sound of heavy footsteps" approached the shack, stopping right outside the door. After a long moment the steps left as they had come. Tom jumped out onto the porch; the moon was bright and there were no trees nearby, "you can see for at least a mile in every direction." There was no one to be seen.

The next night Pindini came out to the shack to make up. The couple went to sleep, and the footsteps woke them (and Pindini's pet dog). The dog seemed paralyzed with fear, though its fur stood up straight. Despite Pindini's pleas Tom rushed outside. Again no one was there. "I heard the steps start again and go heavily away even as I stood staring at emptiness."

Tom's third "encounter" was the strangest of all, occurring on Christmas Eve on his first year in the Gambiers (early 1920s). Pindini's family had gone to midnight mass, and Tom took in a restful moment by lying in the grass near Eskridge's house, listening to the ocean's roar. "Suddenly about three feet over my head a thing, a black thing about as big as a cat, flew past like a shot." The object passed by again, close enought to touch, and Tom saw that it WAS a cat -- a cat curled up as if asleep before a fire, yet whipping through the air like a feline Frisbee. It flew up to the top of a tree on Eskridge's property and vanished.

Wait! There's more. About a week after Eskridge's and Tom's discussion, Eskridge had a restless night. He rose eventually and stepped out onto his porch, watching ragged clouds sweep across the moon.

"Suddenly beside me, close beside me, flashed a gray cat, apparently fast asleep. It lay curled up, suspended in mid-air. I jumped. It flew with an abrupt movement beside me, so close that it touched me. I felt it distinctly. Then it dashed around me and circled out into the vagueness of the garden beyond."

Gobsmacked, Eskridge stumbled back inside and locked the door.

The next morning Tom visited and Eskridge told him what happened. A bit of role-reversal came into play: The materialistic American asked excitedly: "Bob, do you think it will happen again? Could I see it?" Meanwhile the "pro-ghost" Eskridge hoped it wouldn't happen; it was simply too bizarre for his nerves.

Nevertheless, after supper that night, the two men stood out on the porch, smoking cigarettes and waiting. And, yes, it gets worse:

Tom spotted something in the cookhouse (an open shed on Eskridge's land). Not a cat, it was manlike -- barely. "The figure was a line drawing, such a sight as a child might crudely sketch in white chalk on a blackboard." It left the shed and ran at the men swiftly, "faster than a frightened fish in the lagoon." It was not a _black_ stickman, at least: "It seemed to be drawn upon the air, the lines not luminous but white." Like the cat, it dashed into the garden and disappeared from view.

The men were left "speechless", "choking with emotion," barely able to talk except in "jerky sentences." As anyone would be!

Oi. I have to say those stickmen of whatever colour seem to be too prevalent for my liking. There are too many diverse accounts of encounters with these beings to brush them aside as imagined. Given that I am already afraid of stick insects, I hope to god never to encounter a stick-like man!

That mid-air cat, it wasn't grinning at all, was it? Like a certain Alice in Wonderland character?

If something were flitting back and forth past one . . . and it had the appearance of a small furry animal with pointed ears . . . I'd suggest it was a bat. And if it looked curled up as if asleep? Maybe one glimpsed a baby bat, clinging to its mother, curled up against her chest.

Of course, such an explanation makes Eskridge and friend Tom look like complete morons. Bats are usually the first mammals to reach oceanic islands, since the winds can carry them there. It's difficult to imagine two men living on Pacific islands for years without knowing what bats look and act like. I didn't quote everything Tom said, but he was quite adamant his flying phantom had no wings.

And if you mistake a bat for something else, why assume it to be something as bizarre as what they claimed? A winged cat maybe, that being a cryptozoo-fave. Or some floating ghost or witch cat. But a levitating, curled-up-as-if-asleep moggy?

I would suggest that Tom's story of the flying feline "caused" Eskridge's sighting, and the fact the two were waiting for something to happen out on the porch "caused" the stick-man sighting. Whether in a psychological or paranormal sense, however, I can't say.

Time to take a deep breath and tell what happened

Okay, this isn't easy for me to tell. I suffered severe ridicule as a child for talking about this but now perhaps you good folk might listen without laughing.

As a young child I awoke one night and sat up. My brother and sister who I shared the bed with were still asleep either side of me. I noticed the door leading to the landing was wide open and there, standing just outside the door, was something I later came to call a 'banshee.' There is no connection to the mythical banshee of Celtic lore, its just the name I gave it. It was about 7 feet tall, it's skin appeared to be like shiney, black leather. It's head was cuboid with pointed ears, pearcing blue eyes and very white fangs! I felt no fear at all and, after a few seconds, the 'banshee' raised it's arm in a wave, smiled.... and sank from sight through the floor.

I subsequently had many meetings with my 'banshee' but the strange thing to me is that that is the only time I actually saw it. I remember the contents of conversations but not actually having them. The main thing my 'banshee' tried to get across to me was that it was there to protect me as there were other entities intent on doing me harm.

To me this was reality. It happened and I didn't think it was strange at the time. About 10 years later my English teacher was talking about myths and legends and asked if anyone knew what a banshee was. I stuck my hand up and told everyone about the 'banshee' of my youth. I never lived it down!

Be gentle :)

I'm not laughing here, I've read stories of childhood "imaginary friends" who seemed all too real before. Does anyone recall the story of the sort of kangaroo-like imaginary friend who warned his charge's best friend while he was staying overnight? The best friend actually heard the growling voice and got quite scared! I'm sure it's about here somewhere, but from ages ago...

It sounds like a remembered dream - In reality, if something was 7 feet tall, and at the threshold looking into a darkened room, you should not have been able to see the eye color... please do put up a sketch if you can... it might be a character from a book or TV show you might have seen.

markbellis said:
It sounds like a remembered dream - In reality, if something was 7 feet tall, and at the threshold looking into a darkened room, you should not have been able to see the eye color... please do put up a sketch if you can... it might be a character from a book or TV show you might have seen.

remembered dream i dont think so and you really must stop dismissing things out of hand and you seem to think threes explanation an for everything there just some things that cannot be explanad and you need to be bit more open minded.

There IS an explanation for everything. Possible explanations include magic, dreams, aliens, low frequency noise, ghosts, pranks and so on. What we cannot say is that we KNOW the explanation for everything.

I'm very unclear what reasons or arguments you are using to back up your command to board members to stop discussing and analysing the things we are interested in. danny_cogdon posted his experience for us all to enjoy and comment on. We could ask you if you have reasons WHY it can't be a remembered dream, with all the impact and intensity that implies?

Kath

becos it to me he may of been wake thats what it sounds like to me.

stonedog2 said:
There IS an explanation for everything. Possible explanations include magic, dreams, aliens, low frequency noise, ghosts, pranks and so on. What we cannot say is that we KNOW the explanation for everything.

I'm very unclear what reasons or arguments you are using to back up your command to board members to stop discussing and analysing the things we are interested in. danny_cogdon posted his experience for us all to enjoy and comment on. We could ask you if you have reasons WHY it can't be a remembered dream, with all the impact and intensity that implies?

Kath

i did not say to any one to stop discussing things. i said stop dismissing things out of hand i did not in any way or form tell anyone stop discussing things.

megadeth16 said:

I may be a grumpy old bastard, but...could you please put a bit more effort into your grammar and spelling? If you post here, reasonably we can assume that you wish to be understood - and this is not English as I know it.

Sorry, but - someone has to say it. :evil:

Zilch5 said:
megadeth16 said:

I may be a grumpy old bastard, but...could you please put a bit more effort into your grammar and spelling? If you post here, reasonably we can assume that you wish to be understood - and this is not English as I know it.

Well, this thread is titled "The Dog What Turned Into Green Mist".

It's not hard to guess that it's:

"Because it seems to me he may have been awake - That's what it sounds like to me."

I'm sure he's trying his best - and there is a lot of flawless prose that I can't make any sense of - cf. Post-modern literary criticism.

Mind you, it still doesn't mean he's right - It isn't just that there's an explanation for everything, there are lots of explanations for everything - we're quite open minded already - what we are doing is proposing and evaluating different explanations - one person says they saw something looking into a darkened room and could see it had bright blue eyes, and I think that's something you'd see in a dream, but in real life the eye color shouldn't have been that noticeable, so a good explanation is that it was a dream.

Also, about the flying cats - that does sound a lot more like a flying fox, which is a lot bigger than the bats in Europe and North America, and which the writer might not have seen before - If it hooked itself into a thin shrub or something it might have looked to him like it was sleeping in the air.

In light of recent posts, could posters please be reminded to keep discussions both civil and pertinent to the topic, thanks.

Zilch5 said:
megadeth16 said:

:roll:

I originally said:
In light of recent posts, could posters please be reminded to keep discussions both civil and pertinent to the topic, thanks.

...and I won't say it again.

Carry on, everyone ;)

Well - I DO apologize - but try as I might, I could not make sense of what he was saying.

This was NOT a personal attack - but, and I do love this mesage board and agree with its rules - but, but...but...sorry - I just was hoping for some clarity on the subject...

No need to commit seppuku - I find it helps if you read Megadeth aloud if you're trying to understand him - it's sort of like reading "Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames"

(Link* )

"Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques" translates as "And he who laughs at Occitanian Curates, will be plagued by frogs and blisters from the Meuse river." (Makes more sense than Nostradamus) but when read out is "Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock".
- anyway, back to Bats and Banshees....

*EDIT: Link shortened by WJ

gncxx said:
I'm not laughing here, I've read stories of childhood "imaginary friends" who seemed all too real before. Does anyone recall the story of the sort of kangaroo-like imaginary friend who warned his charge's best friend while he was staying overnight? The best friend actually heard the growling voice and got quite scared! I'm sure it's about here somewhere, but from ages ago...
gncxx - I believe the story you are talking about it this one titled "Mr Kangaroo."

Bannik said:
gncxx said:
gncxx - I believe the story you are talking about it this one titled "Mr Kangaroo."

Yes, that's it! Thanks very much. A great story of imaginary friend weirdness.

The following story, while not as bizarre as some of the others shared on this thread has always been one of my favorites, and I think it fits in here: A Curious Black Specter.

Hi, I’ve read through the whole of this thread and just wanted to say how brilliantly weird the stories are. These are my favourite kind of fortean mysteries, ones that cannot be shoehorned into the usual categories like ghosts, aliens, etc.

I’m inclined to believe that at least some of these can be put down to childhood misinterpretations or false memories, but who knows eh???

Back