• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
...and of course, the house will be built on a Native American graveyard...in Enfield, Connecticut...

Must admit I'm not keen on the way modern horror in movies and TV are raiding "true life" cases, because more often than not they ignore what's supposed to have happened and just make stuff up (see The Amityville Horror, Emily Rose, The Conjuring, The Quiet Ones, Deliver Us From Evil, ad nauseam). I just hope nobody takes them as truth, or at least tracks down details of the account as it actually occurred.

Sky Living are promoting the drama in quite an original way. They took a normal house in Enfield and invited estate agents round to value the property while setting up effects and hidden cameras.

[

I'm torn over the ethics of that, on one hand it's a really mean prank to play on people, on the other hand, they did only target estate agents.

So what are people's opinions so far on The Enfield Haunting being shown on Sky Living atm?

We've seen the lot on Sky Snoop or whatever it is and yup, we loved it.

I've only seen Episode One and enjoyed it, although having read 'This House is Haunted' I kept finding myself saying 'well *that* didn't happen' - quite forgetting it was more drama than documentary.

I've only seen Episode One and enjoyed it, although having read 'This House is Haunted' I kept finding myself saying 'well *that* didn't happen' - quite forgetting it was more drama than documentary.
Haha! Me too! We have seen the whole thing now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Husband and I watched the whole thing. We both enjoyed first two episodes, but felt third episode spoiled it by just becoming too far fetched and too far on the side of it all being supernatural. This is when it became obvious that it was only 'based' on a real story.

Husband and I watched the whole thing. We both enjoyed first two episodes, but felt third episode spoiled it by just becoming too far fetched and too far on the side of it all being supernatural. This is when it became obvious that it was only 'based' on a real story.

L - how did you watch the 3rd one? I thought it is to be broadcasted next Sunday

Quite similar to but far more enjoyable and credible than the 2012 movie "When The Lights Went Out".

Sky Living has also recently shown the Channel 4 documentary Interview with a Poltergeist - quite balanced really and although my memory of the events as they unfolded on tv and the papers at the time left me very sceptical, watching this documentary changed my attitude slightly. I haven't seen the drama though but I assume some liberties are taken with the story!
Interview With a Poltergeist is available on Youtube as well

In this truly chilling audio, researchers working on the Enfield poltergeist case in 1977 record a deceased old man called Bill, talking through a young child. The child is 11 year old Janet Hodgson.

I think by this time Janet was acting up, and it was well documented she could put on a deep voice no bother. Probably the least convincing part of the case. If she hadn't seen The Exorcist she'd certainly heard about it.

I'm not sure if we discussed it in another thread years ago or not, but my auntie is the little girl at the center of the Bournemouth Poltergeist case which took place on Abbott Road, around 1981. I remember a rare still photo featured briefly in one of the Arthur C. Clarke series. The case was investigated by The Society for Psychical Research and the local police/social workers, it's a shame we can't upload .pdf's as the society were kind enough to email me the journal issue from 1983 which featured a thorough report of the case.

I've just uploaded it to a direct host for those interested, http://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/02/11/jspr-volume-52-1983-the-bournemouth-poltergeist/

Thanks for posting this - I'd not heard of this case before. Looking forward to reading this.

In this truly chilling audio, researchers working on the Enfield poltergeist case in 1977 record a deceased old man called Bill, talking through a young child. The child is 11 year old Janet Hodgson.

I remember hearing her speak like this years ago on another documentary - might have been in the early 90's. Fake or not, it has a creepy factor which is off the scale!

Kids (especially a young girl) speaking in an old-man voice is just wrong, on so many levels.

In the Interview with a Poltergeist documentary, a previous occupant of the house, Terry Wilkins confirms that his dad, Bill, had died in precisely the way Janet relays it (speaking as Bill) which was VERY creepy!

Not that much of a stretch to believe Janet knew about the house's previous tenants, though, especially in those days.

Yes of course that's possible but it's also the manner in which she (or Bill) tells the story of how he'd died that sounds so matter of fact and natural which makes it weird

Not that much of a stretch to believe Janet knew about the house's previous tenants, though, especially in those days.
It's not a stretch at all, and I'd further say that a lonely young teenager might relate to the point of quiet obsession with an old person dying in a chair in the very house in which she lives. That goes no way to proving she knew about Bill or the circumstances of his death. As always in such cases, we're stuck with trusting the judgement of those on the scene at the time, which usually means believing if we want to believe and dismissing if we don't.

unless i see a full body apparition on the ghost hunt, yes, but i have prepaid the hotel (over 300 quid) train tickets (surprisingly cheap) and the ghost hunt (£75) and there would be no refund, plus i have already arranged to see a friend ooop north.

Back