• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Falklands

Maybe Analis is referring to the Crimean War of the 19th century, though I think enough time has passed that you can't entirely blame the British for what's happening there now!

No, I meant the early involvment of Britain in the current crisis ; it was only later, after the coup d'État 2 years ago, that the EU became involved. In this story, it just followed the herd, the path had been cleared by the US, the British and the Poles.

On a second thought, you may have the EU interference in Ukraine begin with the negociations on the free-trade agreement. However, despite that they were quite agressive and definitely anti-Russian in mind, there is presently no evidence that they were conducted with the intent of a coup in mind.

Uh oh! When we've got out of the EU, we may have to leave the UN too...
Falklands Islands: Argentina celebrates UN decision to expand its maritime territory to include disputed 'Malvinas'
Decision by a UN commission to expand Argentina's maritime territory in the South Atlantic Ocean by 35 per cent hailed as 'game-changer'
By Our Foreign Staff
1:39PM BST 29 Mar 2016

Argentina's government celebrated on Monday a decision by a UN commission expanding its maritime territory in the South Atlantic Ocean by 35 per cent to include the disputed Falkland Islands and beyond.
The Argentine foreign ministry said that its waters had increased by 0.66 million square miles (1.7 million square kilometres) and the decision will be key in its dispute with Britain over the Islands.

Argentina lost a brief, bloody 1982 war with Britain after Argentine troops seized the South Atlantic archipelago that Latin Americans call the Malvinas.

The UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf sided with Argentina earlier this month, ratifying the country's 2009 report fixing the limit of its territory at 200 to 350 miles from its coast.
"This is a historic occasion for Argentina because we've made a huge leap in the demarcation of the exterior limit of our continental shelf," Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra said. "This reaffirms our sovereignty rights over the resources of our continental shelf."

Oil exploration is already pumping millions of pounds into the Falkland Islands economy.
Many islanders remain concerned about Argentina's claim as well as the potential for problems from rapid change brought by the new industry.

The UN commission's finding included the caveat that there is an unresolved diplomatic dispute between Argentina and Britain over the islands.

et bloody cetera...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...me-territory-to-include-Falkland-Islands.html

This isn't about drawing lines on a map, it's about who lives there, and for how long they've done so.

Great decision. Hooray for Argentina. Now if there is another war maybe this time The United Snakes will do the right thing and enforce "The Monroe Doctrine" and kick the Brits out of our hemisphere. Oh that's right, I forgot we're still a colony of Great Britain. "Long live Queen Bess, Queen of the Americas"

Argentina isn't in your hemisphere, Elsupremo. :p

I suspect that this decision has come about because quite a few UN members have harboured a grudge against the UK.
It's not a decision based on rationalisation and consideration of the historical facts.

We used to have a saying in the "Ghettos" of the U.S.A. , "Pimping ain't easy". Well neither is ruling the earth. You Brits are in denial, and I don't mean that River in Egypt. Nobody likes the winner.

In denial of what?
We really don't have an empire any more. We got over it years ago.
It's the others who seem to want an empire - the Americans, Russians, Argentinians...

You guys are an invisible financial empire. We are are your military. Rothschild is your banker. Go to YouTube and search "The Queen rules Canada" and you can hear her, first hand, laying down the law to those idiots to the north. It's so embarrassing to watch, but what can you expect from "Cheese Heads"

Argentina isn't in your hemisphere, Elsupremo. :p

I suspect that this decision has come about because quite a few UN members have harboured a grudge against the UK.
It's not a decision based on rationalisation and consideration of the historical facts.

But there can hardly be a Brexit from the UN and a Trade War or Real War with the UN.

What does the Ruling actually mean? I mean legally, a proper analysis of the decision is required and an examination of the options open to the UK.

The Islanders are looking for this:

The Falkland Islands have asked the UK to clarify the meaning
of an international commission judgement that would leave the islands surrounded by Argentina's territorial waters.

The decision, which is not yet final, follows a request by Argentina in 2009 to expand its maritime territory to include that of the islands, known as the Malvinas in Argentina. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35914839?ocid=socialflow_twitter

That's a good point - aren't they ignoring the right of the Falkland Islanders to have their own maritime territory?

That's a good point - aren't they ignoring the right of the Falkland Islanders to have their own maritime territory?

Its based (afaiaa) on the Law of the Sea and International Agreements, some of which go back centuries. THats why an informed legal opinion is required for the sake of the Islanders.

The Falkland Islands have been left without the protection of a British frigate or destroyer for the first time since the conflict in 1982, The Independent can reveal.

The Royal Navy has been committed to providing a “permanent presence” of a major warship in the South Atlantic since a naval taskforce liberated the Falkland Islands from Argentinian occupation 34 years ago.

However a manpower crisis, a need to deploy vessels to monitor Russian naval movements closer to home and a string of engine problems with the Royal Navy’s much-vaunted Type 45 destroyers has meant that no warship has been dispatched to the South Atlantic since a frigate returned from the region in November 2015. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-first-time-since-1982-conflict-a6964491.html

So The Independent can give itself a pat on the back for bringing this to Argentina's attention and potentially risking another conflict .. well done The Independent!.

.. that's right Yithian, it's only the nuclear subs there now ..

Careless talk costs lives.

So The Independent can give itself a pat on the back for bringing this to Argentina's attention and potentially risking another conflict .. well done The Independent!.

.. that's right Yithian, it's only the nuclear subs there now ..

Careless talk costs lives.

I think the Argies might have noticed the absence of RN ships!

Great documentary about Falklands Combat Medics on History Channel 2 right now. First time I've seen it.

I knew that over forty sailors/soldiers had been killed on Sir Galahad but I didn't know that 165 had been seriously injured.

Combatants/Combat Medics from both sides interviewed.

Including an Argentinian who as a POW worked in the British Field Hospital as he was already a trainee surgeon.

Israel sold weapons to Argentina at height of Falklands War, reveal declassified Foreign Office files
91565126_File_photo_dated_08-06-82_of_the_Landing_Ship_Logistic_RFA_Sir_Galahad_ablaze_after_the_Arg-large_trans++DKGDQpemwFDOZcDYGh2bvg_gwKn_iff3lLkaGqwx5Kc.jpg

RFA Sir Galahad after being set ablaze by bombs dropped from Skyhawks during the Falklands War.
Israel sold weapons to Argentina at the height of the Falklands Warin 1982, according to newly declassified Foreign Office files.

British diplomats cited evidence that Israel had supplied the Argentine military junta with arms that were used against the Task Force during the campaign to liberate the islands.

Israeli military exports before the war included the Skyhawk jets that would later be used to bomb British warships, killing dozens of soldiers, sailors and marines.

Four British warships were sunk by bombs dropped from Skyhawks, including RFA Sir Galahad, a troop carrier that was set ablaze while anchored in Bluff Cove, killing 48 sailors and soldiers. Simon Weston, the badly burned veteran, was among the survivors. Another four ships were damaged by Skyhawks. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...to-argentina-at-height-of-falklands-war-reve/

My opinion of Israel has been going downhill for years. Stuff like this doesn't improve things.

(I had a shitty day today. Then a holidaying Orthodox Jewish family got on my bus, and I thought, "It would be just my luck if we're all blown up by ISIS..." :()

A chink of light?
Argentina and UK to work 'more closely' on Falklands

Argentina and Britain have agreed to co-operate more closely on a range of issues around the disputed Falkland Islands, including trade and security.
Direct flights between Argentina and the islands, which Buenos Aires calls Las Malvinas, will also resume.

The agreements would not affect the Falklands' sovereignty, the UK said.
Both Argentina and the UK claim the islands in the South Atlantic - with about 3,000 inhabitants - as their own, having fought a war over them in 1982.

This is the most positive development in relations between Argentina and Britain for more than 15 years, says the BBC's diplomatic correspondent Paul Adams.

Wednesday's joint statement was agreed following a series of high-level meetings in Buenos Aires between Argentinian President Mauricio Macri and other senior officials, and UK Foreign Office minister Sir Alan Duncan.
The two sides pledged to work toward removing "restrictive measures" around the oil and gas industry, shipping and fishing affecting the Falkland Islands in the coming months.

They also said they would support a project to try to identify the remains of unknown Argentines soldiers who died during the war and were buried on the islands.

The Foreign Office said it was the first positive statement the two sides had agreed on since 1999.
The UK's Sir Alan Duncan said: "It's clear to me that Argentina is open for business. The measures agreed today demonstrate we can make progress through dialogue."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37362973

A very interesting of current (end-2016) military options

(try to ignore the comedy puppet and the lack of definite articles)

I remember an ongoing Steve Bell cartoon strip about a Falkland Penguin as a mascot onboard a nuclear-powered punt.

The Falklands penguins that would not explode
7 May 2017

The minefields laid in the Falkland Islands were intended to kill or maim British soldiers, but over the last 35 years they have become de facto nature reserves for penguins. For better or worse, however, the time has now come for their home to be demined, reports Matthew Teller.

I'm following a crunching gravel path leading up over a headland.

To one side stretches a sweeping curve of white sand, backed by tussocky dunes, the coarse grass mixed with a low-growing plant bearing tartly sweet red berries that the locals call diddle-dee.

They don't seem to be heavy enough to set them off
Esther Bertram, Falklands Conservation
But it's the sound that startles. Overlaying the booming ocean is a comical honking noise coming from thousands of Magellanic penguins. One, guarding its burrow beside the path, stretches its neck up at me, then lets out an ear-splitting, wing-waggling bray of displeasure.

I can see why these penguins are known locally as jackasses. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39821956

I remember an ongoing Steve Bell cartoon strip about a Falkland Penguin as a mascot onboard a nuclear-powered punt.

The Falklands penguins that would not explode
7 May 2017

The minefields laid in the Falkland Islands were intended to kill or maim British soldiers, but over the last 35 years they have become de facto nature reserves for penguins. For better or worse, however, the time has now come for their home to be demined, reports Matthew Teller.

I'm following a crunching gravel path leading up over a headland.

To one side stretches a sweeping curve of white sand, backed by tussocky dunes, the coarse grass mixed with a low-growing plant bearing tartly sweet red berries that the locals call diddle-dee.

They don't seem to be heavy enough to set them off
Esther Bertram, Falklands Conservation
But it's the sound that startles. Overlaying the booming ocean is a comical honking noise coming from thousands of Magellanic penguins. One, guarding its burrow beside the path, stretches its neck up at me, then lets out an ear-splitting, wing-waggling bray of displeasure.

I can see why these penguins are known locally as jackasses. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39821956

I recently read a news-type item -- put out by an outfit who I think could reasonably be reckoned to know what they're talking about -- informing that of the world's (per these bods) eighteen species of penguin, ten are in danger of extinction. Naively, I'd been imagining that penguins lived mostly in far-away places only minimally affected by human activities...

Anyway: if the Magellanic variety of penguin is in bother, here's one potential reason why.

I recently read a news-type item -- put out by an outfit who I think could reasonably be reckoned to know what they're talking about -- informing that of the world's (per these bods) eighteen species of penguin, ten are in danger of extinction. Naively, I'd been imagining that penguins lived mostly in far-away places only minimally affected by human activities...

Anyway: if the Magellanic variety of penguin is in bother, here's one potential reason why.

Thanks, ramon -- penguins are cool -- bugger the Brits and the Argies and all other humans !

Some 'Forgotten History' (although I think some of the details did leak out at the time, or later):
The secret battle of the Falklands War you have never heard about
By Gayle_Herald | Posted: June 14, 2017

This is the untold story of a 'secret battle' fought during the Falklands war, according to one military historian.
Author Ricky D Phillips says the Battle of Stanley has been ignored in the history books and is calling for the men who fought in it to receive the recognition they deserve.
On the 35th anniversary of the conflict, he shares his account of what really happened.

On April 2, 1982, 60 Royal Marines of the Naval Party 8901 who constituted the entire garrison for the Falkland Islands were overwhelmed by 80 Argentine Commandos.
They put up a mere token defence, fired off a few shots, killed one Argentine and wounded a few more and then surrendered.
That's the story you are supposed to know. It is the story that we – the British public – were all told.

It is the story you will find in every book and on every website which deals with the Falklands War. It is a story which has stood for 35 years as 'established history'.
That story, might I say, is rubbish.

etc...

Finally, with Argentine forces surrounding them by the thousand, the Falklands' governor Rex Hunt agreed to talk to the Argentine commander, Admiral Busser.
He knew that his Marines could – and would - fight to the finish, and so he had to make a decision.
Looking at his officers, Majors Norman and Nott he ordered them to "Tell your men to stop fighting and to lay down their arms".

Later, in an interview with the Plymouth Herald, he said: "I didn't use the word 'surrender' because I knew it wasn't in the Marines' vocabulary."

It had been an epic defence but sadly an inconvenient one.
With the UK needing to look like it was taken by surprise and stomped over by a fascist junta – a necessary story if the world was to be on our side – the men and their story were denied.

Five military medals and 12 mentions in dispatches were recommended and even approved, none were granted.
When the people of the Falklands – knowing the true story – proposed to grant their own medal, the UK government silenced them.

Hoping that a bare minimum report of five enemy killed, 17 wounded, three prisoners and of course the destroyed Amtrac (only what they physically saw and could confirm) would at least be believed, Major Norman put this in his official report.
It was never published.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ply...35-years-ago/story-30387884-detail/story.html

People like to blame the Argentinians for being Facist as opposed to an absolute monarchy. The sins of the British empire are well documented and equally well ignored. The real reason for the war was to keep their former colonies in line. It's called the Common Wealth. Even the United Snakes had to violate our Monroe Doctrine to pay homage to the Queen How embarrassing! We let the British come in our yard and beat up fellow Americans. We even assisted the British with military aid. So did we agree that Argentina was getting too big and had you guys do our dirty work or vice versa. Either way, as far as I am concerned "Viva Argentina"

People like to blame the Argentinians for being Facist as opposed to an absolute monarchy. The sins of the British empire are well documented and equally well ignored. The real reason for the war was to keep their former colonies in line. It's called the Common Wealth. Even the United Snakes had to violate our Monroe Doctrine to pay homage to the Queen How embarrassing! We let the British come in our yard and beat up fellow Americans. We even assisted the British with military aid. So did we agree that Argentina was getting too big and had you guys do our dirty work or vice versa. Either way, as far as I am concerned "Viva Argentina"

You do not know what you are talking about.

a) Do you know what an 'absolute monarchy' means? There has never been one in the UK.
b) The Commonwealth is a voluntary organisation.
c) It's actually called the Commonwealth--and not all members are former colonies.
d) The Monroe Doctrine was dead as a doornail by the 80s.
e) Do you have any idea what the United States covertly and overtly did to their 'fellow Americans' in 'their own backyard'?
f) The U.S. provided vital intelligence but no 'military aid' in the conventional sense of the term.

Books: read some before soiling the intellectual swimming pool.

The defence of South Georgia may have been even more epic: 22 Marines held off an invasion force for two hours, shooting down a Puma and forcing the withdrawal of an Argentine corvette.

But, whatever the reasons for official silence on the matter...

...It had been an epic defence but sadly an inconvenient one.
With the UK needing to look like it was taken by surprise and stomped over by a fascist junta – a necessary story if the world was to be on our side – the men and their story were denied...

...this MacGuffin doesn't really appear to make much sense to me. You could give an invasion force a seriously bloody nose and still tick all the boxes for that 'necessary story' - it doesn't quite add up.

People like to blame the Argentinians for being Facist as opposed to an absolute monarchy. The sins of the British empire are well documented and equally well ignored...

We're not an absolute monarchy - they were a Fascist junta. And no - we don't ignore the sins of the British Empire: we write endless books about them and beat ourselves up on a regular basis - in fact, we were probably agonising over the sins of Empire at the very same time the Argentinians were using cattle prods on the mothers of the 'disappeared' and throwing teenagers out of helicopters.

Anyways, you're way too late - the boys fucked them all the way to hell and back.

Last edited:
Back