• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Falklands

You do not know what you are talking about.

a) Do you know what an 'absolute monarchy' means? There has never been one in the UK.
b) The commonwealth is a voluntary organisation.
c) It's actually called the Commonwealth--and not all members are former colonies.
d) The Monroe Doctrine was dead as a doornail by the 80s.
e) Do you have any idea what the United States covertly and overtly did to their 'fellow Americans' in 'their own backyard'?
f) The U.S. provided vital intelligence but no 'military aid' in the conventional sense of the term.

Books: read some before soiling the intellectual swimming pool.
Doesn't the Queen have the power to dissolve parliament and call for new elections? Can't she do the same in Australia and Canada The Canadians ought to be ashamed to call themselves American as a matter of fact, the United States ought to invade Canada for being too British

The defence of South Georgia may have been even more epic: 22 Marines held off an invasion force for two hours, shooting down a Puma and forcing the withdrawal of an Argentine corvette.

But, whatever the reasons for official silence on the matter...

...this MacGuffin doesn't really appear to make much sense to me. You could give an invasion force a seriously bloody nose and still tick all the boxes for that 'necessary story' - it doesn't quite add up.

We're not an absolute monarchy - they were a Fascist junta. And no - we don't ignore the sins of the British Empire: we write endless books about them and beat ourselves up on a regular basis - in fact, we were probably agonising over the sins of Empire at the very same time the Argentinians were using cattle prods on the mothers of the missing and throwing teenagers out of helicopters.

Anyways, you're way too late - the boys fucked them all the way to hell and back.
You British haven't truly been beat up until I beat you up. "To be or not to be" IS THAT A QUESTION? Sounds like a statement to me

We let the British come in our yard and beat up fellow Americans.
The Argentinians aren't 'fellow Americans'. Yes, they're from the same continent...:rolleyes:

Anyone from North or South America are my fellow Americans except perhaps people from the United States or Canada since we are held spell bound by anything British. You guys have been off your game lately. I remember when I was a kid being culturally imperialized by the original Bond and British Rock Invasion. Lucky for me we had Motown.

Anyone from North or South America are my fellow Americans except perhaps people from the United States or Canada...
I thought YOU were from the United States?

Unbelievable!
Bringing up kids to ignore history is unforgivable.
Spain and Argentina seem to be conflated together.

Excellent new documentary, new revelations about how close things were between defeat and victory at a few critical points. Soldiers and sailors who served in the war speak, not just the senior officers, ordinary rankers as well. The overview is important but the guy who lost 23 of his mates in an attack, his perspective needs to be heard as well.

Falklands War: The Untold Story

On the 40th anniversary of the conflict, senior commanders and ground troops reveal how a series of mistakes nearly cost Britain its hard-won victory over Argentina in the South Atlantic

Documentaries | Sun 27 Mar, 9pm | 69 mins | 28 days left

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/falklands-war-the-untold-story

You may enjoy this propaganda for Argentinian kids:

Made it to 8 minutes, by which time l was laughing so much that a little wee came out.

l particularly loved the SHAR with the cackling pilot and the skull and crossbones below the cockpit.

maximus otter

Excellent new documentary, new revelations about how close things were between defeat and victory at a few critical points. Soldiers and sailors who served in the war speak, not just the senior officers, ordinary rankers as well. The overview is important but the guy who lost 23 of his mates in an attack, his perspective needs to be heard as well.

Falklands War: The Untold Story

On the 40th anniversary of the conflict, senior commanders and ground troops reveal how a series of mistakes nearly cost Britain its hard-won victory over Argentina in the South Atlantic

Documentaries | Sun 27 Mar, 9pm | 69 mins | 28 days left

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/falklands-war-the-untold-story
Thanks for that. Watched it last night and listened intently to what these guys were saying, Argentinian as well as British.

This is my kind of history, hearing the experiences and perspectives of individuals.

I wouldn't bank on it. The Argies have started sabre-rattling again about The Falklands.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-uk-refusal-to-talk-about-future-of-falklands

I'm not really sure this constitutes sabre-rattling, though. It seems much more reasoned, and much less bellicose, than expressions of the official Argentinian stance have ever been in the past - and, given the anniversary, it's kind of unsurprising that they'd be pushing their own viewpoint.

The UK and my country...collaborate on key issues of the international agenda such as the pandemic and the protection of human rights – and, above all, we share fundamental values and a vision of a rules-based world order. And yet, in the South Atlantic agenda, we behave as if the conflict took place just yesterday.

We've not really seen language like the above in previous claims - and I'm not sure I see anything in that article that suggests the current Argentinian administration is after a conflict.

I'm not really sure this constitutes sabre-rattling, though. It seems much more reasoned, and much less bellicose, than expressions of the official Argentinian stance have ever been in the past - and, given the anniversary, it's kind of unsurprising that they'd be pushing their own viewpoint.

We've not really seen language like the above in previous claims - and I'm not sure I see anything in that article that suggests the current Argentinian administration is after a conflict.
I am no war monger but the reality is that the present Falklands garrison of heavily-armed Marines with helicopters and jet fighters plus nuclear sub/s would decimate any attempted Argentine invasion even before one or both of the British carriers arrived with air support and reinforcements

Personally as a British citizen I believe we were right to fight the military junta in 1982 but should always negotiate with any democratic Argentine government for some sort of joint sovereignty of the Falklands as a step to eventually leaving them to Argentina

There was something on our local BBC news (South East) night before last where they stated that a recent survey showed 25% of "young people" had never heard of the Falklands war. Rather sloppy reporting but it reinforces my opinion that the teaching of history is getting worse. (Try asking them about the cod war!)

Personally as a British citizen I believe we were right to fight the military junta in 1982 but should always negotiate with any democratic Argentine government for some sort of joint sovereignty of the Falklands as a step to eventually leaving them to Argentina

That's good of you.

I'll let the Falkland Islanders know what you've decided should happen to them... eventually.

The occupants of the Falklands don't want to be ruled by Argentina.

Beaten to it by the above posts but didn’t the Islanders have a referendum in which 90+% wanted to remain British? That should count for something it's a pretty big majority.

Yes, but the UK taxpayer over 8,000 miles away has to pay millions of pounds each year for their defence. I do not mean an immediate handover but something much more like the Good Friday agreement in Ireland that would happen over a long period of time.

For example:

"McSmith reports that the military in the area will cost the UK £61 million ($96 million) in 2012-13, which is expected to increase by £2 million ($3.14 million) each year.

While in the grandiose world of military budgets that might not be that much, when you look at the cost per British citizen on the Falklands, it works out at more than a whopping £20,000 or $31,000 (and that is only the defense budget, other costs will be born on other budgets)."

https://www.businessinsider.com/falkland-islands-cost-2012-2?r=US&IR=T

The UK should never tolerate an aggressive invasion by a hostile fascist dictatorship/junta, but should look at working with a peaceful democracy for a long term solution. We also have a contracting military and there in the future may come a point where we are no longer able to defend these islands.

Last edited:
Yes, but the UK taxpayer over 8,000 miles away has to pay millions of pounds each year for their defence. I do not mean an immediate handover but something much more like the Good Friday agreement in Ireland that would happen over a long period of time.

For example:

"McSmith reports that the military in the area will cost the UK £61 million ($96 million) in 2012-13, which is expected to increase by £2 million ($3.14 million) each year.

While in the grandiose world of military budgets that might not be that much, when you look at the cost per British citizen on the Falklands, it works out at more than a whopping £20,000 or $31,000 (and that is only the defense budget, other costs will be born on other budgets)."

The UK should never tolerate an aggressive invasion by a hostile fascist dictatorship/junta, but should look at working with a peaceful democracy for a long term solution. We also have a contracting military and there in the future may come a point where we are no longer able to defend these islands.

On a 92% turnout, 99.8% voted to stay British.

There are lots of far less critical places where £61M could be trimmed from UK expenditure.

maximus otter

For example:

The UK should never tolerate an aggressive invasion by a hostile fascist dictatorship/junta, but should look at working with a peaceful democracy for a long term solution
If there was an invasion, the local population would be wiped out or forced to leave suddenly.
If there was any kind of gradual takeover as you propose above, the local population would ultimately be forced out and replaced.
Either way, it wouldn't be nice.

Also... the British aren't just stumping up this cost for the benefit of the islanders. Britain wants to retain its access to the South Pole.

Indeed. How much do the occupants benefit from any potential mineral/oik/gas finds though? Does it all go to the private company which "owns" the Falklands? Shades of the East India Company.

Indeed. How much do the occupants benefit from any potential mineral/oik/gas finds though? Does it all go to the private company which "owns" the Falklands? Shades of the East India Company.
Like Argentina would be any different?

Back