• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Fate of Glenn Miller

I wonder if this is the same documentary that was shown here in the UK awhile back?

Did not see that one.Is it now generally accepted that he died in Paris and the "disappearance"invented so as not to hand a propaganda coup to the Germans?
Is this the reason his family never pushed for a full official inquiry(which should have been held as standard practice as he was a serving officer).

As in so many other cases(Amelia Earhart for example)the truth is so mundane as against the proliferation of theories each more exotic than the other.

I remember seeing an interview (I think on a news programme, although it may have been a documentary - it was some years ago, anyway) with an American bomber crew member who claimed to have seen a small plane, which he believed to be Miller's, fly under his plane just as they dumped their excess load over the Channel (common practice for bombers that didn't use all their ordinance). Hadn't heard about the Paris theory before.

Glenn Miller

As a life-long Glenn Miller fan and collector I spent years debunking the "Glenn Miller died in a Paris house of ill repute" stories. I had no doubt that Glenn liked sex as much as any other normal male, but NOT when he was supposed to be rehearsing the band!

But then here came Glenn's younger brother Herb, in fairly recent years, claiming that Glenn died in Paris, right enough, of LUNG CANCER!

I can't see why Herbert, Glenn's band manager, would lie about that one.

Time for a bump - I came across this discussion of the case on the Straight Dope site.

The bomb accident does seem an attractive concept...

edit - which Ryn has already linked unto on the previous page. My bad.

Ah well, the thread's due an airing anyway :).

This 2014 Chicago Tribune review of a History Detectives (TV series) episode on the disappearance illustrates the possibility Miller's plane went down over the Channel as a result of known carburetor freeze-up issues, the poor weather conditions, and the fact the pilot wasn't certified for instrument flying.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-glenn-miller-tv-review-20140708-column.html

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Back