• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Frozen House On Lodge Road

linesmachine

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not so much "happened to me" as "happened to my Dad." Which is even weirder since the guy is as straight thinking as they come, atheist and logic obsessive previous Bank Manager. This story, to my utter delight, was first hinted at over the Christmas dinner. My Dad was scoffing at my website (paranormalcamping*com -[Mod Edit: No current URL found so the link has been updated via the Wayback Machine to here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150201090009/http://www.paranormalcamping.com/] blatant plug, but it's true) when my Mum piped up with "Why you don't you tell him about the cottage?" At which point he got all quiet, evasive and downright weird. I couldn't get a response out of him and my Mum seemed reluctant to push it. I let it drop...

...until Sunday night when my parents came over for dinner. We decided on take out and Dad and I went into town, ordered an Indian and then waited in the pub next door. I plied him with alcohol and he finally told the story.

Back in 1983 I was five. My parents had just had an offer accepted on a house, an old pile in Messing, Essex. It was December and my grandparents came over, everyone was talking about when we would move. My Dad, although not yet completing on the house, had a set of keys and the house was being sold as empty. He decided we should all go over to the house to show my grandparents. So we did. When we arrived, to my mothers absolute horror the place had been badly damaged by burst pipes and ice expanding hadbust the valves on the taps, letting water cascade out and then freeze. Basins and sinks were full of frozen water, the floor like an ice rink. Part of the ceiling had collapsed in the living room. It was actually uninhabitable. My Dad paniced, phoned his solicitor and put the purchase on hold. He phoned the estate agent and they organised for a plumber to meet him their the next morning to assess the damage and see what needed to be done by the owners to make it acceptable for the sale to go through. Both my Mum and Dad were thinking the damage was such that they might pull out.

The next day the plumber came round, picked up my Dad and they went off together. Within the hour they were back. My Dad apparently just went straight to his favourite chair and sat down in silence. My Mother couldn't get anything out of him. In the evening my Mum put us kids to bed and begged him to say what had happened, how bad was the house? He replied that he and the plumber had gone to the house, opened the front door and to his astonishment there was no ice, no water, no collapsed ceiling, no broken taps, nothing. The plumber seemed confused and then said "to be honest, I was wondering how anything could have frozen cause it was 12 degrees yesterday.

What makes this interesting is that four adults entered the house and all saw the same thing. My brother, apparently slipped on the frozen ice that covered the kitchen floor. My Grandmother broke a "stalagtite" off the kitchen tap etc etc. My father picked up a piece of plaster that had fallen in and his leather gloves in the car glove box still had white powder on them afterwards.

They bought the house, and a few other random things happened but nothing as mad as that.

Just thought I'd share it, as it's a pretty cool story. Not sure I'm allowed to identify the house on street view...am I?

Last edited by a moderator:
obvious question, is it possible on visiting the damaged house they actually got the wrong house?

ChrisBoardman said:
obvious question, is it possible on visiting the damaged house they actually got the wrong house?

It's an individual detached house on a country lane. Also, they had the Estate Agent's keys and had to let themselves in on both occaisions. So unless it's a combination of same key/lock + wrong house then...well it seems unlikely.

Oh screw it, here's the house https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=co5+9t ... m&t=h&z=20

There's nothing like it nearby. It doesn't look OLD much anymore coz it's been done up so much.

ChrisBoardman said:
And the keys fitted? And it hadn't been cold weather?

Great story! I don't suppose that there are any signs that it might have happened to the house at some time in the past?

Fantastic story ... google streetview

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 1.09.34 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
is it normal though to have the estate agents keys before the sale completes ?

HenryFort said:

Nope. My Dad worked for a building society called the Halifax. They also had estate agencies at the time and the house was being sold through one of them. Thus he was allowed to do his viewings on the house and when his offer was accepted he asked if he could use the keys to get access for a guy to do the survey.

ah yes you mentioned that ... original house looks pretty old and ... atmospheric too

"to be honest, I was wondering how anything could have frozen cause it was 12 degrees yesterday.

Didn't anyone notice the lack of sub-zero temperatures at the time?

Bigfoot73 said:
"to be honest, I was wondering how anything could have frozen cause it was 12 degrees yesterday.

Didn't anyone notice the lack of sub-zero temperatures at the time?

My Dad struggles with this episode on many levels, and this is one of them. Why didn't anyone walk into the house and notice a huge temperature difference? apparently my mother made some comment at the time like "I'm really not dressed for this."

It's an oddity, but that kind of dream like, not noticing the obvious or being alarmed at huge irregularities seems somewhat common whilst experiencing all manner of Fortean stuff.

Great story. I love it. Such a shame they didn't take pictures.

HenryFort said:

When we were selling our house the estate agents had keys so they could show people round when we were at work.

Would you mind if I ask if you'd explain again exactly who went to the 'frozen' house? You mention that 'we' arrived, implying that you were there, but it's clear later on that you weren't. Was that you paraphrasing your Dad's words?

Four adults - your parents and grandparents and your brother? How old was he? Didn't he ever discuss to with you? Ws he told not to?

Not doubting your story, of course. You are a long-established and respectable poster and I don't think for a minute that you're making things up. ;)

I'm just trying to picture it all, ready for when I wake up at 3am to that dripping tap. :shock:

I'd have said that the wrong house was visited first time, except that a. the keys fitted and b. the weather wasn't cold enough to freeze the place up anyway. And your family don't sound like idiots or drunks.

What a mystery. Brr! :D

In an effort to keep the description to as few words as possible (I'm not a huge fan of lengthy, flowery descriptions) I maybe didn't make a few things clear, my fault. Let me address Escargot's points in order:

Would you mind if I ask if you'd explain again exactly who went to the 'frozen' house? You mention that 'we' arrived, implying that you were there, but it's clear later on that you weren't. Was that you paraphrasing your Dad's words?

So, it's 1983 and this house was on sale and it was vacant as the previous people had gone into a home. We as a family viewed it several times before putting in an offer and eventually having it accepted. The house was taken off the market, we were waiting for a survey to take place and everything was expected to slow down a bit as it was rapidly approaching Christmas. My Dad worked for the Building Society that was actually selling the house (the building society had an Estate Agency office too) and as such the seller allowed him to "do his own viewings" and then when the offer was accepted he asked if he could keep the keys over the Christmas period as the Estate Agency would be closed and he wanted to go in and measure a few rooms and also show his parents their new house. His parents arrived shortly before Christmas and the family all went together (my Mum and Dad, the two grandparents and my brother (aged 7) and me (aged 5) to show them the house. So we couldn't have gotten the wrong house, we'd been there a good few times already. And, of course, we had the keys.

Not doubting your story, of course. You are a long-established and respectable poster and I don't think for a minute that you're making things up.

People round here make stuff up all the time (imho) so I don't mind if I get doubted!

I'd have said that the wrong house was visited first time, except that a. the keys fitted and b. the weather wasn't cold enough to freeze the place up anyway. And your family don't sound like idiots or drunks.

Yeah, so it can't have been the wrong house. To be honest I think my Dad is at a total loss as to what actually happened. He said that the big issue for him was the fallen ceiling. Ice can melt and dissapear, but plaster doesn't fix itself.

so i guess you have no recollection because it wasnt remarked upon afterwards that the house had miraculously fixed itself up ... perhaps thats it ... you bought a fixer-upper !

HenryFort said:
so i guess you have no recollection because it wasnt remarked upon afterwards that the horse had miraculously fixed itself up ... perhaps thats it ... you bought a fixer-upper !

Lol. To be honest I remember the house fairly well (we were there for a number of years) but I have no recollection of the ice incident, I was too young I guess.

liveinabin1 said:
Great story. I love it. Such a shame they didn't take pictures.

This was the pre-digital era when you didn't take photos of every little thing because of the expense of developing it. I wish I'd taken more photos of our pets - none of the three pics I have are in focus.

Great story OP and a very mysterious, but lovely house. I have never bought a house so I don't know if deeds would have recorded any rebuilding work. Too late now to look, of course.

staticgirl said:
Great story OP and a very mysterious, but lovely house. I have never bought a house so I don't know if deeds would have recorded any rebuilding work. Too late now to look, of course.

A couple of side notes. My Dad actually did return the next day with the plumber AND a camera. He wanted to have some documentation of the extent of the damage before the plumber did anything. Since the house purchase hinged on some of the damage issues and how serious they were he thought it wise. But of course, when he did go back with the plumber everything was fine.

I'll ask my Dad for more info this weekend, but I doubt deeds show that much anyway. Mine certainly don't detail the additions to my own house.

Only changes to the house that are large enough to require building permits are likely to leave a public paper trail, although sometimes "mechanical lien" paperwork that has to be filed will be generated. This has probably got more to do with how the work is financed (did you have to mortgage your house to fix your house?) than with what the work is.

In a case like this, in which a prospective buyer claims damage that needs to be fixed before closing or demands a price reduction for taking it as is, it'd generate internal paperwork, but only leave a publicly accessible paper trail if the courts got involved.

@PeniG: You are probably correct in that a paper trail would exist of some sort. However, my own house was built in the 1920s and part of it collapsed in the 60s. There's no paper trail of that incident or the subsequent rebuild, but a neighbour has photos showing the partial rebuild.

Over here (i.e. in the UK) the most likely form of paper trail comes from any written guarantees of work undertaken that might be deemed as adding value in some way. For instance, in my documentation is the invoice for dry rot treatment to the wooden floor, it comes with 20 years guarantee. Double glazing guarantees often feature too. I guess we have to remember that it's only been in the last 60 years or so that, when building, documented plans have been produced and could be included in the documentation. As my neighbour put it "Out here in the countryside, people didnt care so much about building regs so paper work got ignored too."

Anyway, that's a long way of saying "I Don't know."

Oh, and 1 more thing (Columbo style).

I'm largely a sceptic. I don't want to be a sceptic, I started www.paranormalcamping.com with a mate to make an effort to find out a bit more about what's what. All we've discovered so far is that most paranormal activity occurs in people's heads. I say most because there do (to us) appear to be some caveats to that.

What interests me so much about this event as described by my parents is that 4 grown adults all saw the same thing. That doesn't make any sense to me, I understand that group hysteria can do funny things, but it's an assumption too far to think it could make 4 adults see a whole situation that did not exist.

I wish I'd been old enough to appreciate it for what it is too.

Yes, I can imagine your frustration because you were there but you didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You were too young and as a child you wouldn't know how things were supposed to be, and anyway as 4 adults were there you'd have nothing to fear anyway. So you find out afterwards and think, dammit!

linesmachine said:
All we've discovered so far is that most paranormal activity occurs in people's heads.

Mmmm...well this is probably not the thread in which to take up this tangent, but I really don't agree with this statement. Certainly a lot of paranormal activity is perceived by only one individual and leaves no objective proof behind. But in the majority of events described here and elsewhere and in my personal experience, whenever two or more witnesses are present all that are capable of perceiving the event (e.g. have their attention focussed in the right direction) do so. Their perceptions and interpretations may differ but they generally agree that something really unusual has occurred. Which indicates that there is some kind of objective event. As in, for example, the event you yourself posted here.

I'm a sceptic too, with a lower case "s" - - orb photos and chilly spots in the living room don't cut it for me - - but I'm convinced from personal experience that things occur outside of people's heads that don't fit in the reductionist/materialist framework.

@iamSunDog: this might surprise you but I think you and I might be more in agreement than you think. Firstly; this does probably need its own thread. And secondly; there are things that I too cannot seem to explain which do seem to be very real world and not merely figments of our minds. The reason I posted my parents story about the house being iced up is for that very reason. These multiple witness events that leave physical evidence interest me the most. Chilly spots in old buildings.....less so!

My mum says the oldest part was 17 something but admits she's guessing. The funny shaped first floor extension was built by them in 1985 but its had a few face lifts since then judging from street view.

House in a parallel universe? Geez Linesmachine! And I thought strange things happened to me.. Weird.

Back