• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

An understandable mistake.

Graffiti artwork on display in South Korea has been damaged by a couple who thought brushes and paint laid in front of the piece were for visitors' use.

"They thought they were allowed to do that as participatory art and made a mistake," the head of the exhibition in Seoul told Reuters news agency.

After staff spotted fresh brushstrokes CCTV footage identified the accidental vandals, a man and woman in their 20s. The untitled piece is estimated to be worth about $500,000 (£360,000). It was painted by US graffiti artist JonOne in front of an audience in Seoul in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56623734

An understandable mistake.

Graffiti artwork on display in South Korea has been damaged by a couple who thought brushes and paint laid in front of the piece were for visitors' use.

"They thought they were allowed to do that as participatory art and made a mistake," the head of the exhibition in Seoul told Reuters news agency.

After staff spotted fresh brushstrokes CCTV footage identified the accidental vandals, a man and woman in their 20s. The untitled piece is estimated to be worth about $500,000 (£360,000). It was painted by US graffiti artist JonOne in front of an audience in Seoul in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56623734
It looks no different. If anything, they may have enhanced it.

French artist Mathieu Tremblin replaces unsightly scrawled graffiti with smart, legible translations.

So this eyesore:

graff.png

becomes this:

graff2.png

What an improvement!

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/08/08/m...-typography-graphic-design-tag-clouds-france/

I got slightly obsessed with street art and graffiti when I was living in Barcelona back in 2018 - and a trawl round the city looking for gems became a sort of daily pilgrimage. I've got several hundreds of images - still to be sorted, mostly - but I'll only bore everyone with a few:

IMG_0162a.jpg

IMG_0680b.jpg

IMG_1148a.jpg

IMG_0535a.jpg

It was actually surprisingly difficult to get some of the images I wanted. I was staying right on the edge of El Born, and the majority were taken in and around that area and the Gothic Quarter - where the streets are very narrow and canyon like and there's huge contrast between the bright blue skies above and the sometimes deep shade at street level. I actually used a street map and compass to try and time the lighting for some scenes I knew I wanted to catch - even then, it was often a choice between gloom and glare.

The actress Yalitza Aparicio has a nice channel on YouTube where she shows aspects of mexican culture. I just watched one about the murals of Itzapalapa. What was interesting is that they are done on the roofs, and are meant to be seen from the teleferricos, the ski resort-style wagons going up the hills on wires.

Still - but not overly successfully - trying to get my head round night time street photography. Had a wander around Leith Walk last weekend with little in the way of decent results, but I did revisit a bit of street art dedicated to one old character well-known to Leithers of not so long ago:

DSCF1160a.jpg

Also - not a very interesting photo overall - but I do quite like this pesky little chap, and his heart's obviously in the right place:

DSCF1150a.jpg

Back