• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Climate activist Greta Thunberg was only a few hundred yards away from my house today, as she led a modest protest march opposing any expansion to Farnborough airport.
I had no idea we had a celebrity in town, until I saw her and some marchers on Sky News an hour ago.

https://news.sky.com/video/climate-...st-the-farnborough-airport-expansion-13057659

If you'd known you could have asked her if she'd happy to hog the limelight and get awards while genuine environmental activists in the developing world risk death every day.

If you'd known you could have asked her if she'd happy to hog the limelight and get awards while genuine environmental activists in the developing world risk death every day.
I'm actually on the side of those opposing further airport expansion - at least until a cleaner, greener method of aircraft propulsion is rolled out.
If I hadn't been out visiting my sister and then shopping with my wife in Camberley, I would certainly have tagged along with the marchers in Farnborough and listened to what Greta had to say.

I'm actually on the side of those opposing further airport expansion - at least until a cleaner, greener method of aircraft propulsion is rolled out.
If I hadn't been out visiting my sister and then shopping with my wife in Camberley, I would certainly have tagged along with the marchers in Farnborough and listened to what Greta had to say.

I'm no friend of airport expansion! I just can't stand that holy child!

Climate activist Greta Thunberg was only a few hundred yards away from my house today, as she led a modest protest march opposing any expansion to Farnborough airport.
I had no idea we had a celebrity in town, until I saw her and some marchers on Sky News an hour ago.

https://news.sky.com/video/climate-...st-the-farnborough-airport-expansion-13057659

Did she do any swindiing while she was there?

You’ve just painted yourself as a leftie/tofu-eating/guardian-reading/freedom-hating member of the wokarati.

I bet you use the internet/have a car/like to heat your home [continued p.94]

I'm no friend of airport expansion! I just can't stand that holy child!
Me neither. To me there is something about her that just doesn't seem right. I can't explain it or put my finger on it. It's almost as if she has been put there to say to say or do what she does. She doesn't ever, to me at least, sound credible.

I'm also against all airport expansions. It just leads to more pollution, more noise for the many and more disruption for those near the flight paths. I used to live in London as a kid and the noise from the aircraft was unbearable. Now there's even more flights than ever. Sleep matters.

Me neither. To me there is something about her that just doesn't seem right. I can't explain it or put my finger on it. It's almost as if she has been put there to say to say or do what she does. She doesn't ever, to me at least, sound credible.

I'm also against all airport expansions. It just leads to more pollution, more noise for the many and more disruption for those near the flight paths. I used to live in London as a kid and the noise from the aircraft was unbearable. Now there's even more flights than ever. Sleep matters.
Is she living in the UK now? Doesn't Sweden have environmental issues or does she get more attention in the Anglosphere?

Last edited:
Is she living in the UK now? Doesn't Sweden have an environmental issues or does she get more attention in the Anglosphere?

Indeed.

When do you ever see these statistics on TV or get 100 million hits on Social Media? These people don't get statues of them built at universities.

I don't believe that the holy child is in the pay of companies behind these murders but she is used by them to divert attention away from the deaths,

Environmental activists killed at a rate of one every other day in 2022 – report

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...y-other-day-in-2022-global-witness-report-aoe

Indeed.

When do you ever see these statistics on TV or get 100 million hits on Social Media? These people don't get statues of them built at universities.

I don't believe that the holy child is in the pay of companies behind these murders but she is used by them to divert attention away from the deaths,

Environmental activists killed at a rate of one every other day in 2022 – report

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...y-other-day-in-2022-global-witness-report-aoe
She was essentially a teenager having tantrums because the world isn't fair but because her tantrums were about climate change and she had Green parents with money she got to have her tantrums on the big stage. Apparently now as an adult she is bewildered at the lack of change resulting from her tantrums and has now got involved in the politics of Gaza.

History may be on her side but I am skeptical of claims that young people are more eco-conscious because of her actions as they spend half their lives on Ryanair and Easyjet whilst glued to mobile devices made from precious metals mined in developing countries etc.

Last edited:
Don't think the poor little rich girl needs a job especially as she expects others
to pay the cost of her ideas,

Don't think the poor little rich girl needs a job especially as she expects others
to pay the cost of her ideas,
I think the main point is, that if we don't do something we are going to pay the cost, I was at the inlaws place in Calabria last year they had a humdinger of a heatwave worse than anyone can remember, that on top of the previous summer which was very hot, I have never felt heat like that before, of course in Summer it tends to get hot in Calabria but so far people manage to cope the sea is cool(ish) but the concern is that eventually parts will not be habitable in the summer months and that's just southern Europe

If only some of us could be half as brave to do the speaking up that Greta has done at such a young age.
According to some commenters here, it sounds like they resent that she has spoken up at all. That attitude is pretty sad.
The younger generation is going to have to deal with the mess we and the past population has rendered. We'll be dead. She's a god damned powerhouse for her generation. Good on her.

If only some of us could be half as brave to do the speaking up that Greta has done at such a young age.
According to some commenters here, it sounds like they resent that she has spoken up at all. That attitude is pretty sad.
The younger generation is going to have to deal with the mess we and the past population has rendered. We'll be dead. She's a god damned powerhouse for her generation. Good on her.
The issue is not so much her age (though that does mean she has no life experience to back up her opinions).
It's more to do with her lack of education and knowledge about the subject.

Although I can see where some of the comments were coming, from even if I did not totally agree with them as such, there was something in the tone that left me feeling very uncomfortable. Why on earth did a bunch of adults need to express such negativity so forcefully? She has it seems touched a raw nerve, the comments taught me more about the commentators than the commented upon.

Not only that, I have a feeling that I've read somewhere that Greta is aspergic and I thought that on this forum we were understanding about neurally divergent folk?

Anyway unusually for me on this here forum I was left feeling really cross.

In 2018, she said that humanity would be wiped out by 2023 but deleted the tweet not long ago. There are small children who are terrified and living under a climate of fear thanks to her. Instead of getting the first steps of a proper education, kids are getting this sort of crap hammered into them before they can develop critical thinking skills.

Snopes has this to say…

Thunberg deleted a tweet that repeated an imprecise paraphrase of a climate scientist's 2018 seminar talk. While it is factual that she deleted this tweet, claims that the tweet argued humanity would end in 2023 are false. As such, we rate this claim as a "Mixture" of truth.

Moral of the story - Don’t believe everything climate ’experts’ say.

For me it is the fact that she is another "expert" with no expertise, not unlike me and many other people, but we don't get the publicity.

If she is aspergic, maybe that affects how she comes across in the media, I haven't seen much of her but she seems not to be able to countenance any view but her her own and I tend to turn off when I hear anybody like that whatever they are banging on about - they may be right they may not.

The climate is changing and we aren't helping it, that to me is certain. How much of it is down to human activity and what activity, is I think less certain and people who want to research that are less likely to get funding. "Greta's "Do the science." For me isn't an answer. Mind you there are worse than her, just stop oil, insulate Britain - take your pick and plenty on the other side as well.

Also I've not heard any solutions from her or many other climate activists other than ones that will cause a lot of hardship for a lot of people. (Again I may be wrong as I said I don't listen to a lot of stories about her) There needs to be a sensible look at the problem and the possible solutions and the effects of the "solutions" which may prove to just cause more problems in the future. We are set on a technological path if we abandon it lots of people will probably die. In my view we need to use the technology properly to try and resolve the issues.

I was born into a time when fewer people had cars, but public transport was safer, cheaper and better. When foreign holidays and air travel were not seen as a right. Food was seasonal and more was grown in this country. Milk, beer, and other drinks were sold in re usable bottles and people washed handkerchiefs and nappies. Blaming previous generations isn't helpful. I'm sure WWI and WW2 caused a lot of pollution and the Bloody Elisabethans chopped down all those oak trees to make ships. Every generation has made mistakes or come up with solutions that turned out to be wrong (Catalytic converters anyone?)

In my view (Another know nothing expert) we need to: incentivise reduction in population, Increase local food production. Provide efficient, safe, cheap public transport systems as people will use it if it is seen to work. Cut back on air travel and make more use of IT conferencing for business trips etc. on a small level re cycle glass by washing the bloody bottles not melting them down and making different bottles and I'm sure the same could be done with other packaging. On a larger level look at cheap ways to get into orbit and utilise space (free power, no gravity, all sorts of minerals) for heavy industry and take that pollution off Earth.

However most meaningful measures rely on those in power politically and commercially to make sacrifices and invest and it is far easier for them to tell me not to flush the loo as I'm killing the planet. I'm guessing that Greta and others like her are useful ambassadors for those solutions. My guess is that she is being exploited probably by both sides of the argument and if she isn't careful her lack of knowledge and experience is going to backfire on her and her cause and I'm not sure how she will be able to handle that. I respect her courage and the sincerity of her belief but I actually feel a bit sorry for her.

The issue is not so much her age (though that does mean she has no life experience to back up her opinions).
It's more to do with her lack of education and knowledge about the subject.
I find far more people spouting total BS denying climate change. No contest.
She consults with experts. I've not seen outright lies. (Everyone makes mistakes.) I see no evidence for her being uneducated. She seems to make a huge effort to learn. I can't say the same about climate denialists.

I find far more people spouting total BS denying climate change. No contest.
She consults with experts. I've not seen outright lies. (Everyone makes mistakes.) I see no evidence for her being uneducated. She seems to make a huge effort to learn. I can't say the same about climate denialists.

She's the great white saviour who diverts attention away from places where environmental activists are being murdered. She never puts herself at risk.

There are fascinating and well-founded rebuttals of the whole Sabine Hassenfelder / Greta-fronted mankind-is-to-blame school of thought by the excellent physicist Yong.

I highly recommend them (especially since Sabine was being so convincing about the directly-and-mainly-anthropogenic nature of climate change).

Yong is very good: please hear him out. There is undoubtedly doubt as to humanity being solely to blame for all this change...and if you haven't heard the water vapour hypothesis before, do listen twice

2004_35fb9026a5c0d9ba808d1c9333601613.png

For me, I don't consider Greta as being an expert. I don't think she's ever said she was.
I think she's calling out to the experts to do something. I don't think it requires her to come up with the 'how' - that is the experts job.

Agree or disagree with her doom-laden speeches, I think most - if not all - media and commenters are outraged that it's a young woman that is calling them out. Sir David Attenborough has been doing the same ever since he's been doing nature documentaries, in a less abrasive matter I grant you. Perhaps she felt that the polite *cough* 'Excuse me, but this animal is endangered ...' manner doesn't have any impact.

I have Aspergers and struggle to have patience with people apparently not seeing something that is obvious to me. I don't mind being corrected at all.

Back