The Invention Of Jesus

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Nah, don't buy it myself, During early persecution of Christians, they came in for a lot of abuse for their beliefs, but there are no records (as far as i am aware) of people calling out 'Jesus?- pish ! You made him up!' (remembering that when persecution began there were still plenty people around who would know if Jesus was a myth or not) I'm not particularly spiritual (though I believe in some higher power) , I believe in Jesus as a man (and by and large, a very nice and pleasant man!) But I agree that a myth was created AROUND Jesus and we will never know what he thought he really was or what he believed he stood for.:)
Skepticism wasn't exactly big business at the time. You didn't exactly hear people saying "Jupiter? Pish-you made him up, or Hercules? Pish-you made him up, either. It just wasn't done, probably because people were superstitious and didn't want to potentially offend a god they didn't even really know.

chicorea

Ephemeral Spectre
Skepticism wasn't exactly big business at the time. You didn't exactly hear people saying "Jupiter? Pish-you made him up, or Hercules? Pish-you made him up, either. It just wasn't done, probably because people were superstitious and didn't want to potentially offend a god they didn't even really know.
Yes, but how were the disputes between beliefs conducted back then ? "Your god it's just a shallow idol, mine is the Real Thi..." and then the guy was grilled by a lightning... It's a little weak as a point, you see. How to overthrow a superstition with another ? With few speech and lots of blades ? With false miracles ? With a Stevie Wonder song ?

sdoig

Junior Acolyte
Yes, but surely by using a familiar known setting, set a mere decade or two in the past, people would be bound to call them out on Jesus not existing! Jesus existed , of that I am certain. He himself set himself up to fulfill certain criteria expected of him, and after he died his followers made up a lot of other stuff.

But the core 'History' of Jesus - baptised by John The Baptist, preached (in a unique and confusing way - ie. parables) for a few years, gathered some followers, caused bother beside the temple and was crucified - isn't disputed by any reputable historians (again, that I have come across!)

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Yes, but how were the disputes between beliefs conducted back then ? "Your god it's just a shallow idol, mine is the Real Thi..." and then the guy was grilled by a lightning... It's a little weak as a point, you see. How to overthrow a superstition with another ? With few speech and lots of blades ? With false miracles ? With a Stevie Wonder song ?
Well, given that one of the few things the Roman Empire made a point of was religious tolerance. If you were prepared to pay your taxes, you could worship your own gods, provided you accepted that Roman Emperors were gods too. In cases of religious dispute, such as a demarcation dispute between priests whose deities seem to have governance over the same area or pursuit, the matter would be referred to the court system and ultimately if not resolved it would eventually on the desk of the Pontifex Maximus who was the final arbiter. No doubt there was also religious thuggery involved, but really the Jews of the day were much like the M.E. is today i.e. a hotbed of sedition and terrorism, tho they called the assassins Sicarii (as in Judas Sicarii/Escariot). Naturally it all ended in tears.
Trajan's Column.jpg