• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Looks like an antler to me but given the urls involved I'm going to guess it's promotional blah for an as yet unreleased movie about Loch Ness. Everyone's been doing that sort of thing since the Blair Witch stuff trying to stir up a bit of a buzz with the old "is it real or is it fake" thing.

Trouble with a fake like that is that it's just too perfect, too much of a story. Genuine accounts (or accounts that strike me as genuine) don't usually have that much narrative consistency.

They can sue this guy and string him up after he gets his peice of nessie, but they can't stop him from physically going down into the water with the intent on doing that right?

One thing he will need to be careful about is that when he finds the deepest places, or the submerged caves (what have you) that he needs to be exremely quiet and whatnot. From the sightings, Nessie does not seem to be a curious creature that will come and 'check out' the submarine on its own. This guy will need to be sneaky.

Any sort of website where we can get daily/weekly updates once this thing hits the water? Very interesting!

Just get and read the new book just out by Steve Alten "the Loch" its up to date and answers all ye questions , accourding to the book all updates will be posted on the sites he links to here on the ongoing investigation of what the book tells you Nessie really is (which after reading , it most likely is this creature )

theloch.com/coast.htm
Link is dead. The (now empty book promotion) webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050829225433/http://www.theloch.com/contest.htm

film here

http://www.lochnessinvestigation.org/videx2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you read the book ? elaborate please , just what did you not like about it, I thought it was very well done. :?:

Its trashy cliched stuff. You can tell that from the overview on the site.

Looks interesting, I'd read it if it were on my desk right now but it appears to be fiction. Whats the explanation of what nessie could be, and how are they so confident its correct and the mystery is solved? Is it a book of fiction?

ITS WORTH A LOOK

fiction based on fact , with a lot of Scotlands history thrown in (in an exciting way I might add -hard to describe unless you read it) go to amazon books -read the reviews out of a possible 5 stars so far it has averaged 4 1/2 stars !! ( I give it 5 stars) here is one review - (from amazon book customer who read "THE LOCH" BY STEVE ALTEN- I have been a HUGE fan of Steve Alten and his boundless imagination ever since he published 'Meg' several years ago. My how time flies and Steve has continued to thrill and impress me over and over again. If you have read some of his earlier stuff, you KNOW he can spin a yarn about mythical, or even prehistoric monsters...but how will he do with one of the best known myths of the past 100 years? In a word: GREAT.

This story captures you virtually from the first page. Written in first person, I immediately found it engaging and it kept me highly interested in what would happen next. I could hardly turn the pages fast enough. I KNOW that sounds like a tired and overused cliche, but with Steve Alten, it simply is TRUE.

The entire Wallace family has deep roots in Scotland, and more specifically, in and around famous Loch Ness. The latest Wallace (Marine Biologist Zachary) intends to break these roots as he finds himself terribly estranged from his Father Angus, who would rather find warmth in the arms of virtually any woman other than his wife. Zach moves with his American Mother back to the States and because of a deep hatred of his Father, works twice as hard to prove himself -- not to his Dad, but to himself. Eventually he succeeds becoming world renown and teams with National Geographic to attempt to capture on film a living Giant Squid in the Sargasso Sea. The resulting tragic accident nearly kills Zach and plunges him into a bottomless pit which quickly spins out of control. Out of a job, home and with the sudden phobia of the water, Zach simply doesn't know where to turn, until his half brother unexpectedly shows up begging him to come back to Scotland and help support their Father who is on trial for murder.

This is where the story takes a turn from merely entertaining to a virtually scorching hot read as events continue to snowball out of control around the Trial of the Century in Great Britain. Has Angus sent for young Zach for moral support, or has he other dark nefarious plans in place? Well you can guess for yourself what it may be, but I'll wager you won't guess true. Is there something truly in the waters of the great Loch Ness that can scientifically be explained? According to Steve Alten and many others, the answer is a qualified YES. The really interesting part is exactly what *It* really IS. I must admit it took me by surprise. Don't believe in big myths like the Loch Ness Monster? You just might after you finish this book. Twists & turns enough to make you dizzy and a VERY engaging plot with a great novel written by someone with true storytelling talent makes The Loch one of those rare thrillers you cannot afford to miss. If you consider yourself a fan of Steve Alten's stuff, you will NOT be disappointed with this one. Caution: starting this will force you to miss work, sleep and who knows what else...but don't worry, you'll put the book down...after the NEXT chapter...or maybe the one after that...

those tooth chaps

what concerns me most about this silliness is that it seems they've opened a slave market in inverness without telling me:

Our Scottish local

i will admit, i do love the idea of sinister water bailiffs in the employ of the mysterious Highland Authorities confiscating camera film and videotape from hapless holidaying college students.

adds: oh, and hello. i'm new, though i have been lurking around on and off for some time.

ruffready said:
Oh, you read the book ? elaborate please , just what did you not like about it, I thought it was very well done. :?:

Richard Freeman has read the book and from his review in Animals and Men (The C.F.Z. journal) he rather liked it. He says in the reveiw:

When a reveiw copy of The Loch landed on my doormat I sighed expecting another hack horror on a par with "the Crabs" or "the Rats". Imagine my surprise when I discovered a superbly written, gripping book, with a biologicly feasible monster.

Richard Freeman, Animals & Men 35, p56
© CFZ Communications 2005

When you consider Rich is a lake and river monsters expert so the book (and future film) may not be the useual shite that gets writain about lochness.

That said however when I lent it of Richard and read the first chapter or so I found that the way the scottish accents were writain down seemed to get in the way of the story for me (they did have a somewhat false feel to them) but I imagine that as you read more of the book you get used to it.

So is there any date on that submarine, when its going in? I imagine transporting it from the united states to there is a few week process in itself. Can anyone point me to more information about the sub?

WILL REMOTE-CONTROLLED NESSIE TOY WITH CRYPTOZOOLOGISTS?

NEW YORK (Wireless Flash) -- Cryptozoologists are fearing a new remote-controlled Loch Ness Monster toy could toy with their research.

The Takara toy company is releasing a radio-controlled "Nessie" that travels at five mph and dips underwater.

But the startling realism of the battery-operated critter has one cryptozoologist concerned the product could increase the number of hoaxed Nessie sightings.

Cryptid researcher Loren Coleman fears some pranksters might try to fool researchers by photographing the toy in shadow or fog, or without an obvious frame of reference such as a rock or a tree.

Although previous experiences with Bigfoot toys have prepared cryptozoologists to check for that possibility when examining photos of alleged sightings, Coleman says the Nessie toy will make it "more and more difficult to separate the wheat from the shaft (sic)."

Takara spokeswoman Lauri Abel isn't worried about hoaxed photos because, she points out, "In order to compare it to a real Nessie, you have to prove there IS a Loch Ness monster."

http://www.lorencoleman.com/wireless_flash4.html

Andy said:
WILL REMOTE-CONTROLLED NESSIE TOY WITH CRYPTOZOOLOGISTS?

NEW YORK (Wireless Flash) -- Cryptozoologists are fearing a new remote-controlled Loch Ness Monster toy could toy with their research.

The Takara toy company is releasing a radio-controlled "Nessie" that travels at five mph and dips underwater.

But the startling realism of the battery-operated critter has one cryptozoologist concerned the product could increase the number of hoaxed Nessie sightings.

Cryptid researcher Loren Coleman fears some pranksters might try to fool researchers by photographing the toy in shadow or fog, or without an obvious frame of reference such as a rock or a tree.

Although previous experiences with Bigfoot toys have prepared cryptozoologists to check for that possibility when examining photos of alleged sightings, Coleman says the Nessie toy will make it "more and more difficult to separate the wheat from the shaft (sic)."

Takara spokeswoman Lauri Abel isn't worried about hoaxed photos because, she points out, "In order to compare it to a real Nessie, you have to prove there IS a Loch Ness monster."

http://www.lorencoleman.com/wireless_flash4.html

Very interesting. But once we know exactly how the toy looks, we wont have any problems. We should be able to pick out the fake nessie toy if we know what it looks like and we know what color, and the exact way the neck is tiled and proportions to the head, etc.

Mr Colman is cranky cos he didnt get one for his birthday, thats what.

Human_84 said:
Very interesting. But once we know exactly how the toy looks, we wont have any problems. We should be able to pick out the fake nessie toy if we know what it looks like and we know what color, and the exact way the neck is tiled and proportions to the head, etc.

Even if we know what it looks like it will still cause problems, espicilly in loch ness and other large lakes which are the typical habitat of lake monsters because it can be hard, unless you have really good camera or photographic equipment to get close ups or non blurrey photos. The majority of non profesional monster hunters who will go to loch ness will just have normal cameras and it is very hard to tell from such photos or film weather the dark blur is a giant eel, a duck, an otter, a log, a braking wave or whatever without adding nessie toys, that may even look like a giant eel, to the mix.

Tried to find a photo of the nessie toy that will be out soon. I found a picture of the Loch, this'll have to do. Looks deep.

abbywide.jpg

Nessie Toy:
takara-usa.com/toys/jurassica/lochness.php
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Andy said:
Nessie Toy:

^ ^ ^ Straight from Andy's link....

This thing looks Very real!!, theres a quicktime movie of it on the site. Its not hard plastic, looks to be bendy and like rubber, neck movement and all!!

lochness_thumbs.jpg

Human_84 said:
Andy said:
Nessie Toy:

^ ^ ^ Straight from Andy's link....

This thing looks Very real!!, theres a quicktime movie of it on the site. Its not hard plastic, looks to be bendy and like rubber, neck movement and all!!

lochness_thumbs.jpg

That's awesome! I gotta get one of those!

^ ^ ^ Yeah me too. Imagine scaring the little kids down at the lake. Even if its not big, thats certainly not something you wanna swim with. And its not like someone can get mad at you for driving it around in the water, you can just say "I'm simply playing with my remote controlled toy, and I'm allowed to do that here. Thank you."

Good stuff. And I'm not worried about hoaxers with this thing, anyone who thinks nessie is 2 feet long has bigger issues.

I wouldn't buy one. It'd scare my sea monkeys, merman and that strange, delicate creature that rides around on a sea horse and bubbles "Yee Har!"

Anyone hear about the carcass discovered at the bottom of the loch 3 years ago , and filmed by divers . It was in one of the papers last week (accompanied by a typically grainy photo) , but I cant remember which one and it is bugging me . They said that divers are going to go back and see if they can get a DNA sample.

Looks more like a (crab/lobster?) claw than a tooth... although i can't imagine a crustacean killing a deer... :eek:

Sounds quite fake, anyway...

Quixote----William Louis McDonald was on coast to coast may 13th talking about the tooth

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2005/05/13

he's still offering the reward $$$ for the tooth which he thinks is from a giant eel-he said he will keep up the research and report all new findings at the web site you posted and on coast to coast-he's working for Steve Alten who wrote "The Loch" ( read the book if you can, its really good! )
The mysterious tooth was found by two college students lodged in the ribcage of a half eaten deer carcass on Loch Ness. The tooth was later confiscated by Scottish authorities. McDonald is currently offering a large reward for its return. Read more here.

LNM eel tooth story etc.

So what's the consensus on this then?

(Apologies if it has already been covered in another thread). The eel theory always struck as one of the more plausible possibilities....

The photo looks interesting but the story around the confiscation sounds fishy (pun intended)..

This story, you mean?

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/6/emw250178.htm

Loch Ness Boat Operators Identify Kill Zone

For several months rumors have been swirling around Loch Ness about a 4-inch barbed tooth, possibly belonging to a giant mutation of an eel species that inhabits the waterway

Loch Ness, Scotland (PRWEB) June 27, 2005 -- For several months rumors have been swirling around Loch Ness about a 4-inch barbed tooth, possibly belonging to a giant mutation of an eel species that inhabits the waterway, found in the mutilated carcass of a half-eaten deer back in March by two American college students. Now, several boat operators have come forward to speak with Nessie Investigator William McDonald, confirming the area where the deer was located is known to locals as a “kill-zone.”

McDonald last returned to Loch Ness in late December on an expedition funded by American author Steve Alten, whose latest release, The LOCH is a fictional account of the hunt for the monster, woven around McDonald’s latest research. “Alten got the science right, but truth is still stranger and more exciting to me than any fiction. I’m hoping to meet with the Highland Authorities very soon.”

Photos and video footage of the March incident can be found at www.LochNessTooth.com Mr. McDonald can be reached by phone at 480-330-7553 or by e-mail at email protected from spam bots

Media Contact:
Michael Drew
Promote-A-Book
850-747-8188
It's a piece of viral spam, to promote a new book.

There is no 'kill-zone' in Loch Ness.

Back