• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Moment An 'Advanced' Alien Race Makes Contact—It's Game Over

There is an idea that earth people are the invaders of the solar system since tardigrades on our probes and satellites live in space.

Imagine landing on Mars and a giant earth tardigrade from radiation exposure attacks the Mars landing party.
Hmm I think someone already has.

Being a pay grade above tea lady really takes the air out of the crème puff, since he comes across very believable.
No question that he 'comes across very believable'.....

The issue is that Pope statedly claims he was head of a UK equivalent to the U.S. 'Project Bluebook', when in truth, the Ministry of Defence confirmed to myself and one other person, in writing - my copy:

MoD_Pope-1.jpg

If you need proof of Pope's assertions, which are ... 'at variance with established facts', see, for example, his own introduction in the following lecture, at 6:40 into the video:

NICK POPE UFO LECTURE

With all due respect, that memo is over 20 years old, perhaps I'm missing something, or he has done more work in this field since that time.
I have the greatest respect for Mr. Pope, he gets the facts out there, as I've said before he is continually on our History Channel.
The great Stanton Friedman and J. Allen Hynek are no longer with us and Pope has taken their place.

Pope was only on the MOD UFO desk from 1991 to 1994. He seems to have been involved in the earliest stages of Project Condign, the UK MOD's version of Project Bluebook; but he was not involved in the final report.

Project Condign seems to have been written by a relatively small group within the MOD, and came to some pretty strange conclusions, particularly that many UAPs are caused by plasma-based natural phenomena. This is probably not true, and seems to reflect the personal theory of a single (unnamed) individual, who was not Nick Pope. Perhaps Pope might have done a better job, but he doesn't seem to have been given a chance.

I actually think the idea ETs would be advanced enough that peaceful contact is assured is wishful thinking.

We could never even begin to imagine the workings of an alien mind. They could have cultural reasons to see all other life as a threat and a few relativistic missiles sent from the depths and we are gone.

Put it this way, if we somehow stumbled across a method of FTL or warp travel tomorrow, anything out there will be in for a shock.

RitisPope was only on the MOD UFO desk from 1991 to 1994. He seems to have been involved in the earliest stages of Project Condign, the UK MOD's version of Project Bluebook; but he was not involved in the final report.

Project Condign seems to have been written by a relatively small group within the MOD, and came to some pretty strange conclusions, particularly that many UAPs are caused by plasma-based natural phenomena. This is probably not true, and seems to reflect the personal theory of a single (unnamed) individual, who was not Nick Pope. Perhaps Pope might have done a better job, but he doesn't seem to have been given a chance.
I read this conclusion a while back and it has always lingered in my mind. By “plasma-based natural phenomenon “ do they mean earth lights (see separate thread) and is all this related to British investigations into the foo fighters of WW2? I can see how someone might link the two and draw a conclusion

Yeah, maybe foo fighters were 'plasma-based phenomena'. The WWII bomber fleet flew at unprecidented heights and at relatively slow speeds, so they may have been able to observe natural atmospheric phenomena that modern jet liner pilots are travelling too fast to notice.

Before ufologist Stanton Friedman died, he was on the History Channel TV about UFOs and said the question is not are they here, but the question is what do they want since they could have dispatched humans a long time ago.

I guess I might be a one in a billion since I have seen a nighttime and daytime UFO in my younger years.

To me this has been a curse since like Stanton Friedman, I have been trying to figure out what do they want.

If UFOs are hostile, I would not be here posting this note.

Before ufologist Stanton Friedman died, he was on the History Channel TV about UFOs and said the question is not are they here, but the question is what do they want since they could have dispatched humans a long time ago.

I guess I might be a one in a billion since I have seen a nighttime and daytime UFO in my younger years.

To me this has been a curse since like Stanton Friedman, I have been trying to figure out what do they want.

If UFOs are hostile, I would not be here posting this note.
I bet they are just as curious as we are about other planets and life -
After all, we are constantly visiting other planets, collecting samples, investigating terrain, etc.
It mystifies me that Stephen Hawking felt that other civilizations would probably not be friendly.

I bet they are just as curious as we are about other planets and life -
After all, we are constantly visiting other planets, collecting samples, investigating terrain, etc.
It mystifies me that Stephen Hawking felt that other civilizations would probably not be friendly.

But do they have to be one or the other? Even in terms of human contact this hasn't always been clear. IIRC The US made treaties with the Comanche not realising that chiefs were not responsible for each and every adult member of their "tribe". Hence a treaty made in good faith by both sides ended in chaos when some individuals decided on, what was to them a perfectly reasonable cattle raid.

What would be our interaction with a hive mind be like? An agreement with a Queen, a cooperation with workers and an unfortunate incident with a soldier?

An intelligence similar to a plant or fungal colony may be virtually immortal which may alter their view of transient life forms. Lord knows what evolved AI would be like and what view it would take of other beings.

There may be dangers in contact that we haven’t imagined yet – and of course there could be benefits.

And I'm still using Earth based analogies.

Personally I’m in full support of our evolved robot/tardigrade overlords. :)

But do they have to be one or the other? Even in terms of human contact this hasn't always been clear. IIRC The US made treaties with the Comanche not realising that chiefs were not responsible for each and every adult member of their "tribe". Hence a treaty made in good faith by both sides ended in chaos when some individuals decided on, what was to them a perfectly reasonable cattle raid.

What would be our interaction with a hive mind be like? An agreement with a Queen, a cooperation with workers and an unfortunate incident with a soldier?

An intelligence similar to a plant or fungal colony may be virtually immortal which may alter their view of transient life forms. Lord knows what evolved AI would be like and what view it would take of other beings.

There may be dangers in contact that we haven’t imagined yet – and of course there could be benefits.

And I'm still using Earth based analogies.

Personally I’m in full support of our evolved robot/tardigrade overlords. :)
Yes, as I've said before - twenty years ago I asked a computer expert on his opinion, just what could possibly come along after the computer.
He replied that there was only one thing, and that is the robot, and all these years later I see he was correct. Robots are the future.
A friend of mine has a few robots which clean her huge home, sometimes they wake her up at night while they are busy cleaning the bathroom!

Here's a Twitter poll from a rationalist website:

Respondents mostly agreed to estimate a high chance of having internal status hierarchies (78%), being artificial (68%), trying to talk to us (64%), having morals (64%), and being descended from land animals (60%). Respondents mostly agreed on a low chance of being green (27%), once having had a nuke war (34%), and having internal conflicts (34%). They mostly agreed on a middle estimate (46%) on how much morals we’d share with them.

https://www.overcomingbias.com/2022/04/hello-alien-polls.html

I don't get this:

Here are the main ways I disagree: Any aliens arriving here now on Earth must be very old; recent origin would be an incredible timing coincidence. As we don’t see them elsewhere in the sky, they have somehow prevented themselves from greatly changing nearby galaxies. This suggests they are green, and have a world government to enforce green rules.

Which suggests their reason for visiting: to get us to go along with their green rules. And a way to do that is to look very impressive but not talk to us, as talking would likely reveal things about them we’d hate.

Hanson is an interesting chap, and has influenced my thinking in many ways; I often disagree strongly with him, however. Here I largely agree with him, for once.
Any aliens arriving here now on Earth must be very old; recent origin would be an incredible timing coincidence.
This is correct. We are unlikely to be at exactly the same development level as any aliens that are nearby, because of the effects of chance and the long history of the universe. So they are probably hundreds of thousands or millions of years ahead of us.
As we don’t see them elsewhere in the sky, they have somehow prevented themselves from greatly changing nearby galaxies. This suggests they are green, and have a world government to enforce green rules.
This seems very reasonable; a civilisation that is millions of years ahead of us could conceivably have altered the galaxy significantly in many, detectable ways, but we don't see this. So they appear to be conservation-minded, and averse to galaxy-spanning megaprojects and interstellar bypasses. We seem to be safe from the sort of construction projects favoured by the Vogons in The Hitchhiker's Guide, for example.

-----------------
Elsewhere Hanson suggests that we simply don't see the evidence for alien civilisations because they haven't got here yet; by the time we do start seeing evidence for advanced civilisations, it is probably too late, since the actual aliens will be arriving soon. That only works if alien spacefarers can travel at significant fractions of the speed of light, something which does not seem certain by any means.

Last edited:
If aliens haven't visited us yet, what are these strange flying machines we have been seeing in our skies for more than the last century?
Unless, as I'm sure you have probably all discussed, they are actually time machines coming back from some future time?
I know the UFO I saw was certainly eons ahead of our technology, at least I believe that. It was like watching a science fiction movie.

If aliens haven't visited us yet, what are these strange flying machines we have been seeing in our skies for more than the last century?
Unless, as I'm sure you have probably all discussed, they are actually time machines coming back from some future time?
I know the UFO I saw was certainly eons ahead of our technology, at least I believe that. It was like watching a science fiction movie.
Future time? Parallel world? It's all the same. I favour subterranean mole people.

Yes, as I've said before - twenty years ago I asked a computer expert on his opinion, just what could possibly come along after the computer.
He replied that there was only one thing, and that is the robot, and all these years later I see he was correct. Robots are the future.
A friend of mine has a few robots which clean her huge home, sometimes they wake her up at night while they are busy cleaning the bathroom!
Surely your friend should seriously try sleeping in a bed then - rather than a bath.:)

But what would other civilizations think of our planet?
The wars, overpopulation, polluted air and water, forest fires ongoing, devastating hurricanes and tornados, melting icecaps -
Surely they would be able to see all this from space?

They could have finished building a Dyson sphere on the other side of the galaxy last year and we won't know about it for 58,000 years (appx) assuming it isn't blocked from view by various other objects.

There could be very advanced civilisations that we don't know about.

If they have near light speed travel time will be very different for them when they are near light speed, I'm sure there are some SF stories about space travellers having a different society from those on their planet of origin and the places they visit - the twins paradox but where one twin spends most of his or her life at near lightspeed and visits their home planet every few years for them and centuries for their homeworld.

Bizarrely the spacefarers could have a technology behind that of the world they visit! They could be the same beings visiting us as were here decades or more ago who have spent (to them) a few years away and have popped back to see where we're at.

"Those hairless monkeys are still clubbing the shit out of each other, let's pop over to Tau Ceti and come back in a few months (decades or more to them) and see if they've done anything interesting."

Who are they?
Just some mole people who live underground and only come out in advanced flying vehicles.

But what would other civilizations think of our planet?
The wars, overpopulation, polluted air and water, forest fires ongoing, devastating hurricanes and tornados, melting icecaps -
Surely they would be able to see all this from space?
You'd have to think there'd be comedic value in observing a species trip over its own feet.

Oh do you mean Richard Shaver, who theorized that rocks held 'pictures' when cut apart?
I haven't heard about him for a long time!
Shaver, who proposed that the Earth's interior was occupied by an advanced species of evil creatures.

But are they machines? The ones I have seen did not seem so physical, and I think everyone uses their imagination to decide what they saw when they see something anomolous. Some of the things I have seen with others and we did not agree what they were, one friend insisted it was the "space brothers", but all we really saw was what looked like stars zipping around the sky in formation. The lights I saw when I was alone were more intricate and I got that there was a message but it took me a while to assimilate it. There are so many different things going on in the sky, nowadays it boggles my mind that anyone would report a UAP, because of drones and secret military craft, etc. And the government does not tell the truth about a lot of things. Just because they say they don't know what those lights or craft are does not mean they are telling the truth. I lived close to the base that tested the first "StarWars" equipment when Reagan was president. It was all lights and lasers in the sky and also the weird stars zipping around the sky, seemingly outside of the earth's atmosphere.

But are they machines? The ones I have seen did not seem so physical, and I think everyone uses their imagination to decide what they saw when they see something anomolous. Some of the things I have seen with others and we did not agree what they were, one friend insisted it was the "space brothers", but all we really saw was what looked like stars zipping around the sky in formation. The lights I saw when I was alone were more intricate and I got that there was a message but it took me a while to assimilate it. There are so many different things going on in the sky, nowadays it boggles my mind that anyone would report a UAP, because of drones and secret military craft, etc. And the government does not tell the truth about a lot of things. Just because they say they don't know what those lights or craft are does not mean they are telling the truth. I lived close to the base that tested the first "StarWars" equipment when Reagan was president. It was all lights and lasers in the sky and also the weird stars zipping around the sky, seemingly outside of the earth's atmosphere.
Well the large flying vehicle I saw with 3 other women was a solid large craft, with no smoke or sound of propulsion, with unbelievable capabilities.

There is an idea that earth people are the invaders of the solar system since tardigrades on our probes and satellites live in space.

Imagine landing on Mars and a giant earth tardigrade from radiation exposure attacks the Mars landing party.
There is a sci-fi movie where the locals on Mars are evolved (and humanoid looking) cockroaches.

There is a sci-fi movie where the locals on Mars are evolved (and humanoid looking) cockroaches.
Was that The Sandkings? The original novella gave me the shudders.

I remember reading a mountain of books in the late 80s / early 90s, covering most aspects of the UFO phenomena. I recall it being pointed out in several books, the aliens never seemed to posess technology for in advance of what was available at the time of the encounter and there were a spate of cases where biological samples were taken. Time Travelers in my opinion. The aliens are humans from the future harvesting DNA to supplement their own genetically depleted pool and are careful not to display anything too advanced so as not to influence their past .

Because of this, they pose no threat because to destroy us would bugger up their past.

I don't doubt this has been suggested before, but can't be bothered to read through the countless comments in all the UFO threads .

Back