• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ray Alan Time-Slip Case (Chesterfield; 1969)

I tried to search for him and found a family tree on Family Search, which is a free genealogy site, but they for some reason won't accept me as a member any more! If anyone can register with them they should be able to contact the family through that site.

I'm only getting the headline and no actual detail...? (using a mac)
I am as well now.

It said that Ray kept the cigarette packet and the coin that was given to him as change and that he found that it gave him inspiration in his job and became a sort of good luck charm.
Ray's family knew all about the incident he'd had in Chesterfield.

I am as well now.

It said that Ray kept the cigarette packet and the coin that was given to him as change and that he found that it gave him inspiration in his job and became a sort of good luck charm.
Ray's family knew all about the incident he'd had in Chesterfield.
Curious but unless we have a solid source for this new information then unfortunately it can't be considered trustworthy

The Australian case has vanished from the net but I transcribed this from my original print-out:

FUTURE TIME SLIP IN AUSTRALIA
Posted originally on Anthony Peake website ca 2013, but no longer available.
Punctuation and spelling improved.
Hi,
I have also had an experience similar to these [previous posts]. I live in Australia and
at the age of 23 travelled from Sydney in one state to the Sunshine Coast in another. At that
time the highway was pretty much single lane, passing through most towns. During my
holiday on the sunny coast I overheard some people talking of the great time-cutting bypass
around Newcastle, which is quite a large city. I was excited to try it on the way back,
assuming that I must have missed the exit on my way up the coast, as I tended to be a bit of
a day-dreamer, listening to my music up loud. Anyway, I made sure I paid close attention
on my way back, and some distance outside a small town called Raymond Terrace, sure
enough, there was my bypass. It was terrific, must have cut my time by about an hour.
Some months later, I travelled back up the coast for a holiday with my then partner. It
was shortly after the Newcastle earth quake, because we both made mention of what was
happening on the news. It was another great time-saving trip there and back.
It wasn't until later when we had an argument with someone regarding the new
Newcastle bypass, who was adamant that it didn't exist, it was only in the planning stage,
that I suppose we kind of wondered who was the “crazy” one, because we knew it was
there. I had personally driven on it three times – twice with my partner.
The next time we went up the coast on holiday, we couldn't find the bypass exit, we
even ended up turning around to try and find it, but it wasn't there. It wasn't until years later
that it came into existence in the entirety of which we drove. So I suppose the question is,
did we experience a time slip or alternate universe, or was it an act of “consciousness?” I
truly believed the road existed, and so it did, to the extent that I passed on my belief to my
partner, who in turn shared in the experience. Because it wasn't until there was doubt in my
mind as to its reality that it was no longer there... I don't know.
Pixieanne
Note:
The 1989 Newcastle earthquake occurred in Newcastle, New South Wales on
Thursday, 28 December. The shock measured 5.6 on the Richter magnitude scale and was
one of Australia's most serious natural disasters, killing 13 people and injuring more than
1989 Newcastle earthquake - Wikipedia

The Telly Savalas case... rings a bit of a bell but not sure if I have seen anything specific about it. Will have a look.
Hi this story interested me because i once read stephen kings"skeleton crew" about a "fantastical short cut". I looked on google maps and also read the history of the road changes here
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...e/news-story/9d60ce7db28666fd5915d362765a4841
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Highway_(Australia)
the 2nd photo shows what was in existence "below" newcastle by 1989 and the 1st way way before.There was plenty of modern highway.
Some of the hard evidence doesnt match up with the story.I wonder if they indeed did take a bypass but mis-read the signs and later when searching searched in the "right place" for the bypass which actually wasn,t built then as stated.
I often muddle up places and things from many years ago myself,including the stephen king book which i thought was an F scott Fitzgerald short story for some reason!!
I found this whole Ray Alan story and your post inspiring!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 19.04.35.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 19.04.35.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 18.53.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 18.53.57.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
the old woman who ran the place wouldn't accept his money at first (decimal coinage had just come in), or she gave him his change in 'old' money- something along those lines.
That in itself is not strange, although I don't know if anyone thought it was: I was a very young child when decimal currency began and I remember that some old people were suspicious of it and didn't like using it, even after it became official in 1971.

That in itself is not strange, although I don't know if anyone thought it was: I was a very young child when decimal currency began and I remember that some old people were suspicious of it and didn't like using it, even after it became official in 1971.
No I don't think that he thought that was necessarily strange as such, just that it stuck in his mind that she'd been a bit awkward with him over it.

I also remember older people sort of 'translating' in their heads, so if something cost 15p they'd stop for a moment and look at it, and then say 'that's three shillings.' IIRC price labels had both decimal and pounds shillings and pence prices on for quite a while.

I also remember older people sort of 'translating' in their heads, so if something cost 15p they'd stop for a moment and look at it, and then say 'that's three shillings.' IIRC price labels had both decimal and pounds shillings and pence prices on for quite a while.
My mother used to ask me to translate the weird money into proper coinage. Don't think she ever came to terms with the stuff.

I was only around 20 but I had to stop for a moment to figure out whether something was maybe a bit expensive or not. At least a pound remained a pound, anyway!

I was only around 20 but I had to stop for a moment to figure out whether something was maybe a bit expensive or not. At least a pound remained a pound, anyway!
And the old one and two shillings (often with King George VI on) were still kept in circulation for many years after (used as 5p and 10p) so that would have given some familiarity to you old-uns folk.

And the old one and two shillings (often with King George VI on) were still kept in circulation for many years after (used as 5p and 10p) so that would have given some familiarity to you old-uns folk.
Yes, it helped a lot. At least we never had those awful Euros to deal with.

Yes, it helped a lot. At least we never had those awful Euros to deal with.
Actually, thinking about it, considering that at the time 12 pence was now all of a sudden 5 pence and 24 pence was now 10 pence, it does make me wonder how you managed.

A different breed back then!

Actually, thinking about it, considering that at the time 12 pence was now all of a sudden 5 pence and 24 pence was now 10 pence, it does make me wonder how you managed.

A different breed back then!
Don't think I would find it so easy now I'm ancient..

Back