• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Reverse Haunted House

I was being facetious, but - has it always been desirable?
It's just a farming village. I'd say it was desirable in Bronze/Iron age times though because it overlooks the river crossing. Coming more up to date, there are several farms and it used (apparently) to have a butcher, cobbler, fishmonger etc etc. Now we don't even have a post office. It's within three miles of the nearby market town though, so an easy ride to take your goods in for sale and to shop.

So, yep, I'd say this has always been regarded as a good place to live.

Exhumation has never bothered me and has never led to a haunting (sadly).
- Glad to hear this, @Verbal Earthworm! I confess I do have a medieval finger bone from a disturbed grave (long story - mass burial, spoil heap, discarded bones, goth tendencies, deep pockets, profound guilt).

With regard to the original post I live in a supposedly haunted house that has been nothing but welcoming. It's an Edwardian end of terrace, nothing particularly spooky about it but the previous tenants were friends of friends and we had no end of questions about the ghost when we first moved in. Had we seen it? Had we heard it? How's the ghost? Apparently they were absolutely terrorised by it! I'm quite sensitive to atmospheres but I actually feel like this house or its previous occupants are happy to have us there. Most of our junk is the right period for the house though, so maybe they feel like we fit! The old tenants were quite troubled, so it led us to think that they were haunting the house, rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
- Glad to hear this, @Verbal Earthworm! I confess I do have a medieval finger bone from a disturbed grave (long story - mass burial, spoil heap, discarded bones, goth tendencies, deep pockets, profound guilt).

With regard to the original post I live in a supposedly haunted house that has been nothing but welcoming. It's an Edwardian end of terrace, nothing particularly spooky about it but the previous tenants were friends of friends and we had no end of questions about the ghost when we first moved in. Had we seen it? Had we heard it? How's the ghost? Apparently they were absolutely terrorised by it! I'm quite sensitive to atmospheres but I actually feel like this house or its previous occupants are happy to have us there. Most of our junk is the right period for the house though, so maybe they feel like we fit! The old tenants were quite troubled, so it led us to think that they were haunting the house, rather than the other way around.

Your friends of friends sound like our neighbours. I wonder if ghosts react to new occupants in the same way as the living do to people they don't like. We can quite easily rub each other up the wrong way, so perhaps we can do the same to spirits? Therefore, as you aren't "troubled", the dead have no reason to disturb the living.

This is getting uncomfortably close to the only truly fortean experience I've ever had - but now is not yet the time.
The family home was specifically built for my father when he became Farm Manager. As an agricultural dwelling it was exempted from Green Belt planning and we had no neighbours and no indication of any previous building existing on the spot. Obviously I can't say what the site was like eg 800 years ago. The girl I encountered in my bedroom wasn't a ghost (within my preconceptions of what a ghost is - like dead for example), she just shouldn't or couldn't have possibly been there.
Ironically when we moved years later into a farm cottage (a house used as a Poor School (and orphanage ?) in the1750's, split into three), I had no strange feelings there at all.
Yes, the building where I heard the 'whistling ghost' in the empty cafe at night after public had gone home, is a totally bland, characterless, modern building stuck on what was just farmland before and, to my knowledge, not bang on the site of a long lost farmhouse or even barn or outbuilding. Just slapped down in an old field. Although the ghost, I wasn't told at the time I heard it but have since discovered, is thought to be a specific person who volunteered there and has only been dead a decade or so... Nothing 'old' is there. And quite how they think they know who it is, I dunno. But although creepy at night when we are the only ones in the building, it's not deeply 'atmospheric' as such. Not sure if I volunteered at such a place it's the precise place in my life I'd choose to revisit...

I definitely want to be young and slim again when I'm a ghost, too. What's the point of being an old ghost?

The haunting traditionally occurs when the dead person's grave is disturbed and their rest interrupted.

So it's not the fact that they're dead and buried in a place that makes it haunted, it's whether the grave has been interfered with. They don't like it.

This doesn't worry the archaeologists. Or does it? We should ask.
I grew up living a few metres away from a graveyard. There'd been a church on that site since the 10thC. And it was an unusually large graveyard in fact, now I think of it, the largest non municipal one I know.

As a kid, one favourite pastime was to go and chat to the gravedigger as he worked (in the days before JCBs digging the holes). And he'd often find grave furniture, bones, gold rings etc, or so he told us. People less squeamish in the 1960s so they'd frequently leave the dug up bones scattered around the roses (now the rose beds are all long gone due to being high maintenance I guess). When my husband, who lived in the Midlands, came up to see me there around 1980, I took him to the graveyard to show him the entire skulls, finger bones, teeth, etc... Also can remember an entire section of Victorian graves vanishing overnight and now the most recent burials are there.

But they have now moved on to a new part of the graveyard. Where the 1930s/40s unmarked graves are. How do I know they're the 1930s/40s unmarked burials? My grandparents were there. No longer. They've been grubbed up. (Vicar assuming no-one left locally who knows where the bodies are, quite literally). I went there one day last year to mum's grave and realised where my grandps had been, near a yew tree, now a brand new grave... The ones with stones have been left - for now. But I guess they're next. Precise burial records for that part of the graveyard were lost in the War. So I think the vicar was capitalising on the fact and assumed with no records and barely anyone left alive from the 1930s... My grandma died in 1939 and grandad in the mid 50s. I couldn't see any obvious bones, but I think people are more squeamish these days so those things are probably binned or summat. (Imagine hoiw many ghosts might live in the church rubbish bin).

I always wondered what happened to those great 19thC gravestones. As I say, we lived metres away and my bedroom window looked out over the graveyard but I never saw the old stones being removed. But recently, mystery solved when I got chatting to an old farmer who does maintenance in the churchyard and he told me him and his dad were contracted to grub them all up one day (presumably I was at school so never saw it). They were told to leave one or two which had known descendants in the village. He said they were all piled against a wall or something but I've never seen em...

Basically, your tenure of a churchyard grave may be 100 years if you're lucky! Then you're quietly grubbed up and replaced.

There's 1000 years' worth of ghosts on that hill near my old house, I reckon.

I do a lot of research in local parish records and for some villages have spent years studying them. You get to know and love all the old family names, that crop up over and over. Village near here, about the same size as your's, has maybe 50 or less 19thC gravestones in the churchyard. Oddly, almost every single one is an unrecognisable to me surname, even though I know those records well. People who were maybe only there for a generation so maybe crop up in one marriage record and one or two burials. So, unmemorable, in terms of the old farming families who predominated. Others, have been there since the first page of the parish records and many of them had many kids and many generations lived and died there but not a single gravestone extant for that name. Not one. I've realised the stones you see in graveyards tell you almost nothing about who once lived in a place. Or even everything about wo could afford a stone as many no doubt had them but then got shifted.

ETA: My late friend asked to be buried in one of those green burial sites where they put a tree over you and the place will slowly revert to woodland. She told me it cost 500 quid and your family 'own' that plot in perpetuity so no grubbing up.

I think churches keep quiet about it but that has always been the reality. It's why you hatrdly see any 17thC or 18thC stones in graveyards - not cos they perished but because they were grubbed up, and turned upside down for paving stones or summat...

Last edited:
It's why you hatrdly see any 17thC or 18thC stones in graveyards - not cos they perished but because they were grubbed up, and turned upside down for paving stones or summat...
Funny thing, the cemetery where my parents want to be buried has old grave stones from late 1800's to early 1900's that, according to my dad, were originally used as ship's ballast. Kind of opposite to your idea.

Last edited:
I grew up living a few metres away from a graveyard. There'd been a church on that site since the 10thC. And it was an unusually large graveyard in fact, now I think of it, the largest non municipal one I know.

As a kid, one favourite pastime was to go and chat to the gravedigger as he worked (in the days before JCBs digging the holes). And he'd often find grave furniture, bones, gold rings etc, or so he told us. People less squeamish in the 1960s so they'd frequently leave the dug up bones scattered around the roses (now the rose beds are all long gone due to being high maintenance I guess). When my husband, who lived in the Midlands, came up to see me there around 1980, I took him to the graveyard to show him the entire skulls, finger bones, teeth, etc... Also can remember an entire section of Victorian graves vanishing overnight and now the most recent burials are there.

But they have now moved on to a new part of the graveyard. Where the 1930s/40s unmarked graves are. How do I know they're the 1930s/40s unmarked burials? My grandparents were there. No longer. They've been grubbed up. (Vicar assuming no-one left locally who knows where the bodies are, quite literally). I went there one day last year to mum's grave and realised where my grandps had been, near a yew tree, now a brand new grave... The ones with stones have been left - for now. But I guess they're next. Precise burial records for that part of the graveyard were lost in the War. So I think the vicar was capitalising on the fact and assumed with no records and barely anyone left alive from the 1930s... My grandma died in 1939 and grandad in the mid 50s. I couldn't see any obvious bones, but I think people are more squeamish these days so those things are probably binned or summat. (Imagine hoiw many ghosts might live in the church rubbish bin).

I always wondered what happened to those great 19thC gravestones. As I say, we lived metres away and my bedroom window looked out over the graveyard but I never saw the old stones being removed. But recently, mystery solved when I got chatting to an old farmer who does maintenance in the churchyard and he told me him and his dad were contracted to grub them all up one day (presumably I was at school so never saw it). They were told to leave one or two which had known descendants in the village. He said they were all piled against a wall or something but I've never seen em...

Basically, your tenure of a churchyard grave may be 100 years if you're lucky! Then you're quietly grubbed up and replaced.

I do a lot of research in local parish records and for some villages have spent years studying them. You get to know and love all the old family names, that crop up over and over. Village near here, about the same size as your's, has maybe 50 or less 19thC gravestones in the churchyard. Oddly, almost every single one is an unrecognisable to me surname, even though I know those records well. People who were maybe only there for a generation so maybe crop up in one marriage record and one or two burials. So, unmemorable, in terms of the old farming families who predominated. Others, have been there since the first page of the parish records and many of them had many kids and many generations lived and died there but not a single gravestone extant for that name. Not one. I've realised the stones you see in graveyards tell you almost nothing about who once lived in a place. Or even everything about wo could afford a stone as many no doubt had them but then got shifted.

ETA: My late friend asked to be buried in one of those green burial sites where they put a tree over you and the place will slowly revert to woodland. She told me it cost 500 quid and your family 'own' that plot in perpetuity so no grubbing up.

I think churches keep quiet about it but that has always been the reality. It's why you hatrdly see any 17thC or 18thC stones in graveyards - not cos they perished but because they were grubbed up, and turned upside down for paving stones or summat...
This was a really interesting read, thanks for posting.

On the subject of why ghosts haunt where they haunt, I just read a really interesting book of first hand accounts of paranormal events experienced by police officers. It's called Credible Witness by Andy Gilbert (ex-copper).

One story relates how a young security guard at a retirement complex called the police because he'd seen an old couple ballroom dancing in the communal lounge. You might think "so what?" but the building hadn't yet been completed and there were no residents yet. Place was searched, coppers found nothing and no one, young security guard was so terrified by the incident he quit his job.

So what was that? Ghosts from the future?

I'd like to think that ghosts haunt places that had meaning for them in life. So sometimes this will be the place they died, but more often it will be houses/buildings where something significant happened to them, or where they were happiest. Both my parents, for example, died in the house they lived in all their married lives, but if they haunt anywhere, my father will haunt the outdoors and my mother will be found as a spectre roaming the frozen food section of the local M&S.

Presupposing ghosts exist, have any agency, etc etc.

On the subject of why ghosts haunt where they haunt, I just read a really interesting book of first hand accounts of paranormal events experienced by police officers. It's called Credible Witness by Andy Gilbert (ex-copper).

One story relates how a young security guard at a retirement complex called the police because he'd seen an old couple ballroom dancing in the communal lounge. You might think "so what?" but the building hadn't yet been completed and there were no residents yet. Place was searched, coppers found nothing and no one, young security guard was so terrified by the incident he quit his job.

Perhaps there was a dance hall there before.

I can't find a link to it now but the car park which serves the main shopping centre in Lancaster is built over an old graveyard. The graves were moved under the cover of night to avoid disturbing people. If I can find a link to it i will post it here. The car park is allegedly haunted.

...the car park which serves the main shopping centre in Lancaster is built over an old graveyard. The graves were moved under the cover of night... The car park is allegedly haunted.

holly_poltergeist.jpg

There were Indians in it...

maximus otter

I can't find a link to it now but the car park which serves the main shopping centre in Lancaster is built over an old graveyard. The graves were moved under the cover of night to avoid disturbing people. If I can find a link to it i will post it here. The car park is allegedly haunted.

Reminds me of the discovery of King Richard's grave in a Leicester car park.

A searcher decided to start with a reserved space marked 'R' and found him right away.

What're the chances, eh!

Interested to know if there had been any tales of hauntings around the car park where Richard's grave was found.

After all, it had been an old abbey - so many people buried there, monks ejected during Henry's dissolution so much high drama and emotion...plus the unacknowledged burial of a king. If the 'disturbed graves lead to hauntings' story has any traction, this should have been High Strangeness Central.

Interested to know if there had been any tales of hauntings around the car park where Richard's grave was found.

After all, it had been an old abbey - so many people buried there, monks ejected during Henry's dissolution so much high drama and emotion...plus the unacknowledged burial of a king. If the 'disturbed graves lead to hauntings' story has any traction, this should have been High Strangeness Central.

That weird soldier ghost husband saw was right in the middle of Leicester, I think. But most certainly 20thC not poor Dick 3. That is a good point re. the dissolution.

And wasn't the car park a former school playground? So that's a double whammy - pissed off monks, and also creepy little Victorian kiddy ghosts...

Without spoiling anything, may I recommend an episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense, which is on you tube and is called – in possession.

Without spoiling anything, may I recommend an episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense, which is on you tube and is called – in possession.

It may be a little dated for some tastes as it was first screened in the mid 1980's, but I remember watching this and it scared the bejesus out of me at the time - I re watched a few years back on you tube and it’s still fairly creepy.

It may be a little dated for some tastes as it was first screened in the mid 1980's, but I remember watching this and it scared the bejesus out of me at the time - I re watched a few years back on you tube and it’s still fairly creepy.

Right. I’m watching it again now and it’s really quite good. Give it a go

The BBC serialised “The Haunting of Shawley Rectory” earlier this year. It’s a Ruth Rendell story where (spoiler alert) the ghosts only manifest to certain people. Perhaps that’s why some people think a house is really haunted and others see and hear nothing in the same house.

The BBC serialised “The Haunting of Shawley Rectory” earlier this year. It’s a Ruth Rendell story where (spoiler alert) the ghosts only manifest to certain people. Perhaps that’s why some people think a house is really haunted and others see and hear nothing in the same house.
I was saddened to see Ms Rendell's obit. I knew she was quite old, but still, no more Ruth Rendell or Barbara Vine books--damn!
Does anyone know why she wrote some books as Barbara Vine?

From my undertanding a grave is allowed to remain untouched for a 100 years, this may be old legislation, or out of date. It's very interesting and worth an explore when I get 5 mins.

Back