• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

mynameisearl

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Sometime ago i watched a movie called THE SHOUT ( 1978) . A man who believes he has the power to KILL with a horrifying DEATH SHOUT. I went to a book shop in london where we got on to the subject of the film, he showed me a book by a RUSSIAN AUTHOR who wrote a book on the subject. Can it be done ? is it crap, We all know some singers can break a fine wine glass but SHOUT.... EARL .... :?:

In the film, Alan Bates' character has learned his killer shout from the Australian Aborigines, but I don't know how authentically researched the script was.

The 1978 film's based on a short story by Robert Graves, from around 1930...it's this thing called FICTION.

There's also a killer shout in Dune.

I love the Alan Bates film, The Shout.
I wonder though, about what inspired the Graves short story, & if it in fact, has any general basis in Aboriginal mythology?

Strange coincidence here: One of my favorite books is "Hospital of the Transfiguration" by Stanislaw Lem, and I was just researching it yesterday when I discovered it had been made into a film.

Searching to answer my own question in the first paragraph above, I have come to know that The Shout and Hospital of the Transfiguration were made by the same director! :D

As an artist myself, I think the interpretation of literature in film allows for a completely different conclusion of purpose........but I did find this analysis of the Graves story, however student-ish it may be helpful.

http://www.bookrags.com/shortguide-shout/

Personally, I do hypothetically believe training oneself to make vocal sounds that trigger some kind of fatal reaction is possible, given what we know now about aural warfare. It is rather far fetched from a rational perspective though, to create such a sound with the human body.

licata1708 said:
I love the Alan Bates film, The Shout.
I wonder though, about what inspired the Graves short story, & if it in fact, has any general basis in Aboriginal mythology?

ALAN BATES, in the film has if iam not mistaken a PRIMARK trench coat on , and his dodgey fillings, which iam told was his downfall for his love for mars bars....... earl... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
licata1708 said:
Personally, I do hypothetically believe training oneself to make vocal sounds that trigger some kind of fatal reaction is possible, given what we know now about aural warfare. It is rather far fetched from a rational perspective though, to create such a sound with the human body.

But surely any damaging sound generated by a person would be just as likely to do damage to (or kill) that person themselves?

I think the whole premise of this concept is built around surprise - making a sufficiently disturbing noise that it shocks the victim into dying of a heart attack (or something) - the sound itself does not disrupt any organs.

Mythopoeika said:
licata1708 said:

But surely any damaging sound generated by a person would be just as likely to do damage to (or kill) that person themselves?

I think the whole premise of this concept is built around surprise - making a sufficiently disturbing noise that it shocks the victim into dying of a heart attack (or something) - the sound itself does not disrupt any organs.

Good point about the suprise being the element, not the sound disrupting any organs.

I guess it all comes down to mythology. :)
And mars bars.....

I don't know if it was so much the deafening sound that killed as the supernatural force behind it. Like a top volume death curse.

Can't tigers paralyze prey by emitting certain vocalizations?

I found this on elephants:

It was during a zoo visit in 1984 that Payne discovered low-frequency communication among land animals. Standing near the elephant cages, she felt a throbbing in the air—she compares it to "being in a car with the windows rolled up wrong"—and recalled her experience singing in a choir near a large pipe organ, where she could barely hear the sound in the lower registers but "the pressure was huge."

She suspected that the elephants were communicating with low-frequency vocalizations, and investigation proved that the animals were indeed rumbling at between 5 and 30 hertz. Subsequent field research revealed that infrasound plays a significant role in coordinating complex elephant societies over great distances. In the evening on the Namibian savanna, with a sound-reflecting temperature inversion overhead, a loud elephant call may fill an area as large as 300 square kilometers.

which also mentions this:

Biologist William Barklow of Framingham State College has found that hippo calls are partly infrasonic and are transmitted both above and below water. Elizabeth von Muggenthaler of North Carolina's Fauna Communications Research Institute has identified low-frequency vocalizations in okapi and giraffes, and has found intriguing twin vocalizations in Sumatran rhinos and humpback whales. Infrasound also has other uses, von Muggenthaler notes: A tiger's roar contains an 18 hertz component that induces feelings of terror in humans and can paralyze prey for up to 10 seconds.

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues ... d-tweeters (source)

[/quote]

H_James said:
Can't tigers paralyze prey by emitting certain vocalizations?

Certainly rings a bell (awful pun intended :) ) I think Dolphins do the same.

In the DC comics world of superheros, amongst Superman, Batman and the rest, is a superheroine called the Black Canary who, since the 1960s (she's been around since the 40s but was originally powerless) has had the superpower of...well...shattering things, knocking people out generally turning rooms upside down with a sonic screech. I'm not sure she's ever killed anyone with it, but one suspects this is more through policy than inability.

A version of her civilian identity, Dinah Lance, appeared in an episode of Smallville.

Back