• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sikh Thread

a) The parents must have known the rules beforehand and could have clarified the issue with the bangle [which happens to be no jewellery, just jewellery-shaped and worn :roll: ]
b) If the rule states no jewellery, than that is the rule. I say tomato you say tomatoe [or whatever], a bangle is a bangle by any name.
c) I mean I could come to school with a gun and proclaim that it might look like one and work like one but that I belong to a church where this is our link to god!

The school is a place of learning. It should be even more restrained as nothing should distract from learning.
I remember my school, no dress-code whatsoever, not hair not tattoos or piercing, everything was allowed.
I had my most exciting times in 1984 with my gothic mates, going smoking in our "smoking room", shocking the little 'uns, checking out the boys and generally doing teenage things. I don't remember anything about learning or doing homework, school was a place to "hang out" and meet mates.

I am easily distracted, very easily.
So I studied many years later than I should have and found out about myself that in order to learn anything, I have to listen and not be distracted.
I had to sit away from friends in order to achieve this.

Now, do I really believe that a simple bangle could jeopardise this tranquility necessary to listen?
Apart from it probably making annoying "cling -clong" noises on the table when writing, no. Not by itself.
However letting her off will automatically open the floodgates. I mean why can she and the others can't?
What's easier, forbidding all jwellery apart from stud-earrings or making a tedious list of exceptions?
Its simple practicality.

Xanatico said:
I believe the french have banned all religious symbols, such as wearing crosses and headscarfs. Which certainly seems like going too far to me.

It's not just religious symbols, Xanatico, it's religion in schools altogether.

The entire national education system is completely secular, no religious assemblies, etc. The religious symbols rule is just an extension of this, not any sort of "political correctness".

The French have separated Church and State, there's no religious element to their political or legal systems either, no swearing on Bibles, allegiances to God, etc.

My problem is that I feel they have gone too far, in also trying to remove religion from the students so to speak. Telling the teachers they cannot wear crosses is one thing, they are after all representatives of the school. But having the students do the same, that is going too far in my opinion.

jefflovestone said:
That's the point I've been trying to make throughout this. Whilst there are some pretty-looking, ornate Kara*, by-and-large, they're generally purposely plain dull objects with very little aesthetic value - the antithesis of jewelery.
Yeah - whilst discussing this kind of thing recently at my college (at which I should add there are no such restrictions,) a Sikh student made the point that a stainless steel watch strap is completely acceptable at most schools, despite being shinier and more ornate, by dint of having a watch attached to it. Go figure*.

Stud earrings - because in theory they can't get tangled in things or easily ripped out. For a lively discussion on this, talk to my aunt about her visit to Gibraltar and just what a baboon with a penchant for shiny things can get at.

As for Yith's golden clown shoes, I'm afraid Health and Safety will put paid to them pretty quickly.

*Surely if form and function are to become the main criteria than kids up and down the country will suddenly become very interested in Bauhaus ;).

stuneville said:
As for Yith's golden clown shoes, I'm afraid Health and Safety will put paid to them pretty quickly.

*Curses and reluctantly removes said footwear whilst shaking his head sadly*

Back to the drawing board...

Would it be against her faith to attach a small watch to it? I'd like to see them handle that.

Do they really enforce a ban on all religious items? Iwonder if they make pupils take off their shirts/blouses to prove that they are not wearing crucifixes around their necks?

I'm not saying that they should do that, just that they have no way of knowing how many pupils are wearing crosses, scaffulars, pentagrams etc.

ramonmercado said:
I'm not saying that they should do that, just that they have no way of knowing how many pupils are wearing crosses, scaffulars, pentagrams etc.
Exactly. What the spirit (no pun intended) of such regulations regarding jewellery embodies is that pupils or students shouldn't wear copious amounts of pure bling - which in a school environment is a risk, be it of crime or physical injury should it get caught, yada yada. Once you get onto faith related stuff it's rather murkier, though AAFIK no mainstream religion demands that children or teens wear massive quantities of precious metals, or even just stuff from Elizabeth Duke at Argos. When I was at school, the guideline was that so long as it was out of sight, and you took it off for games etc, then pretty much anything was OK, but that it was worn at the wearer's own risk - and today there's not much wrong with that as principles go, as far as I'm concerned.

After all, if it's crime about which heads, governors and parents are concerned, then surely their kids toting a £300 mobile phone is somewhat more of a priority?

stuneville said:
Surely if form and function are to become the main criteria than kids up and down the country will suddenly become very interested in Bauhaus ;)

A lot of the kids in schools and colleges have already got 'form'. ;)

ramonmercado said:
Would it be against her faith to attach a small watch to it? I'd like to see them handle that.

I'd have thought it was against the point of the thing. Her Kara would be then more of a reminder of how long she's got left in double maths than a reminder to be a good person.

jefflovestone said:
stuneville said:
Surely if form and function are to become the main criteria than kids up and down the country will suddenly become very interested in Bauhaus ;)

Terror Couple Kill Colonel certainly sounds like it could involve 15yr old schoolkids nowdays.

Pun upon pun...

theyithian said:
jefflovestone said:
stuneville said:

Terror Couple Kill Colonel certainly sounds like it could involve 15yr old schoolkids nowdays.

Pun upon pun...

A lot of Bauhaus lyrics would fit this theme: 'a kick in the eye', 'a flash of youth shoot out of darkness, factory town' ...

Pc and two others hurt in Sikh cultural centre

A police officer and two other people suffered head injuries during a protest outside a Sikh community centre.

About 200 people gathered at the Sikh Cultural Centre in Dudley, West Midlands, to demonstrate over allegations that meat and alcohol were being served on the premises.

Violence erupted at about 1245 BST after some of the protestors forced their way into the building.

The three injured people are in a stable condition in hospital.

'Building vandalised'

West Midlands Police have not commented on the nature of the injuries but said some protestors were throwing missiles at officers.

A second police officer received minor dental injuries.

The Sikh religion forbids the use of alcohol and Sikhs are not allowed to eat meat.

A 28-year-old man arrested on suspicion of violent disorder was later released on police bail bending further inquiries.

The force said the demonstrators spent about five hours inside the centre, adding that "significant damage" was caused.

Ch Insp Deb Doyle said: "What started as a peaceful protest soon turned to violence when a minority of people started throwing missiles at officers and then forced their way inside the centre.

"Once inside they have vandalised the building and refused to leave until the centre managers agreed to ban the supply of meat and alcohol on the premises.

"I would urge those responsible for the violence to hand themselves in to their local police station immediately or face officers arresting them at home in the very near future."

Roads around the building were closed to allow emergency services access to the site and the building remains cordoned off while investigations are carried out.

Police said CCTV footage was seized from the site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-13587198

I was a bit surprised to read Sikhism forbids booze and meat... all the Sikhs I know enjoy a drink and I only know one veggie among them.

Quake42 said:
I was a bit surprised to read Sikhism forbids booze and meat... all the Sikhs I know enjoy a drink and I only know one veggie among them.

I'm surprised too.
A Sikh work colleague of mine eats meat and drinks booze occasionally.
He also doesn't wear a turban.
I think he may actually be an atheist or secular Sikh.

I also never met a non drinking Sikh. Our mate is into Heavy Metal and all the rest and others I knew where all going on about their hangovers after the weekend. Alas as there are obviously those that don't, it makes me laugh that they consider an allegation about something worth turning into actual violence. I know what I'd rather have.

India’s supreme court will hear arguments in an appeal early next year seeking to ban archetypal jokes about India’s minority Sikh community.

Sikh lawyer Harvinder Chowdhury, who has taken the case, said thousands of websites featured jokes portraying her 25 million strong community as “stupid, naive and foolish”.

The jokes, she stated, violated Sikhs’ fundamental “right to life and dignity”.

“Enough is enough, as we Sikhs have endured a lifetime of mockery,” Ms Chowdhury said from her office in the supreme court. “My children want to drop their Sikh surnames, because they face ridicule. These jokes are the bane of Sikhs. They have to go.”

The judges’ reaction, while admitting the unusual plea, was droll. “Many people [Sikhs] we know take these jokes sportingly,” they said. “They may not be an insult, but only some comic statement for amusement. You want all such jokes to stop, but Sikhs may themselves oppose it.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...-petition-seeking-to-ban-sikh-jokes-1.2450473

Even if you think you don't know any Sikh jokes, you probably do:

Eleven people were left dangling on a rope when a bridge gave way: ten were Sikh men, one was a girl.

One person had to be sacrificed for the survival of the rest.

The girl volunteered and made a really moving speech - which the men unanimously applauded.

Bags more Sikh funnies on the end of this link. :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-13587198

Visiting the various gurdwaras in Glasgow, the excellent and filling food is def veggie.

I don't /think/ any of the sikhs I know... well, I've never seen them drink at social things. Mr Uppal doesn;t sell alcohol in his shop at the end of the road which is quite unusual for Glasgow!

Visiting the various gurdwaras in Glasgow, the excellent and filling food is def veggie.

I don't /think/ any of the sikhs I know... well, I've never seen them drink at social things. Mr Uppal doesn;t sell alcohol in his shop at the end of the road which is quite unusual for Glasgow!

Having done some further reading on this, Sikhism forbids the use of alcohol and other intoxicants, but many Sikhs, particularly in the West but also in India, ignore this.

Unlike a certain other religion, having a beer is not seen as deserving of 80 lashes.

Sikhism also forbids the consumption of ritually slaughtered meat, but vegetarianism isn't required.

Unlike a certain other religion, having a beer is not seen as deserving of 80 lashes.

Many muslims in cultures where alcohol is normal also use it. Also some buddists. And christians and wiccans. Are you getting confused between what the books says - though shalt not wear mixed fibre garments for example - and what people choose to do?

What "certain other religion" are you talking about? Can't be any of the ones I've just listed or it would be an innacurate statement. :confused:

Many muslims in cultures where alcohol is normal also use it. Also some buddists. And christians and wiccans.

Not aware of anything in the Bible which bans the use of alcohol. Indeed, Jesus partook regularly himself!

Don't know about Buddhists, but I'm pretty sure Wiccans don't have any problems with it!

MY point was that many people in western cultures use it. And this is or isn't "against their religion" according to people who are fundies - so come on, 'fess up,

what is this "certain other religion" you felt you could not name?

Not aware of anything in the Bible which bans the use of alcohol. Indeed, Jesus partook regularly himself!

Don't know about Buddhists, but I'm pretty sure Wiccans don't have any problems with it!
Some Buddhist monks like to get high .. Nepalese Temple Ball is a method where they get three round balls, two of them hashish and one of them opium then bury the lot in a hessian sack ... the opium increases the potency and after they dig it all back up, they use the hashish to make incense sticks for "meditation" purposes.

Frideswide: Alcohol is haram.

Even the Sikh thread turns into an Islam thread! I was friends with a Sikh at school. Great guy.

She started it!

Back