• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sikh Thread

Some Buddhist monks like to get high .. Nepalese Temple Ball is a method where they get three round balls, two of them hashish and one of them opium then bury the lot in a hessian sack ... the opium increases the potency and after they dig it all back up, they use the hashish to make incense sticks for "meditation" purposes.

Sounds like pretty intense meditation!

Even the Sikh thread turns into an Islam thread! I was friends with a Sikh at school. Great guy.

Yeah, pretty much all the Sikhs I've known have been great guys and gals!

She started it!

Yeah, sorry, my bad.

Frideswide: Alcohol is haram.

that is like saying that no christian wears mixed fibres....... it may well be forbidden but only to those who choose to obey it. And not even to all those who call themselves fundamentalist - this group like all the others chooses what to do and not do for cultural reasons which aren't wholly to do with The Religion, especially as interpreted by non-members.

The point of the questioning is to find out which religion @Quake42 is running so shit scared of that it cannot just be named. Or there could be another reason for the verbal coyness of course! Do tell Quake!

Let's keep that in the Islam thread.

Why? It was a comment made in this thread.

Try flagging it up for a mod in the re-organisation thread? Mods do a grand job editing and slicing and splicing and I'm sure they'll cope.

Trying just to stop people posting in a thread doesn't usually work!
Let's keep that in the Islam thread.

is that aimed at me or are you referring back down the thread?

I don't think it can be me you mean - I'm talking about a posting on this thread, and my most recent post is in response to one by someone called Xanatic* who /does/ mention islam - although my post doesn't.

The mods do wonders slicing, splicing, pruning and planting threads which are flagged up for them in, for example, the reorganisation thread. Seems to work better than just calling out hopefully for action.

Relax, Frideswide, it was just meant as a throwaway jokey comment. Sorry if it derailed the thread.

I was just trying to keep things on topic here. I want to learn about sikhs. Of course Quake was talking about islam.

I was just trying to keep things on topic here. I want to learn about sikhs.

From what I know about it, Sikhism seems a very interesting religion. I'd like to visit the Golden Temple someday.

I'm curious how open the sikhs are about the religion being deliberatly made up, more or less. I'm afraid I have little first hand knowledge of sikhs.

I might have misphrased that. I don't know if they are willing to aknowledge that or not.

I keep misreading the thread title as the Slk Thread!

(That is all.)

I'm curious how open the sikhs are about the religion being deliberatly made up, more or less. I'm afraid I have little first hand knowledge of sikhs.

From the Siks I've known, their faith seems, like Judaism, to be as much - perhaps more - about shared history and culture than religious belief.

I'm curious how open the sikhs are about the religion being deliberatly made up, more or less.
The same could be said of any other religion.

For most their beginnings are lost in the mists of time.

sikh-temple-pray-for-san-berdoo_brian.jpg

The San Bernardino sign was ordered before the temple was vandalized but it did not go up until after.

A Sikh temple in Buena Park was vandalized by someone who apparently thought it was a Muslim house of worship, and the facility's leader is demanding the incident be investigated as a hate crime.

”The Gurdwara [Singh Sabha] was vandalized during Sunday early hours, and a hateful graffiti was seen on the walls of the Gurdwara and also a truck parked in the parking lot. The graffiti included the phrase, “F@#k ISIS,” and the words “Islam” and other reference of gangs,” says the Washington-based Sikh Council on Religion and Education in a statement.

“We are of the opinion that this is a hate crime and that this is a direct result of a possible backlash from the San Bernardino killings,” Inderjot Singh, president of the gurdwara, told India West, referencing the Dec. 2 massacre of 14 people, allegedly by ISIS supporters.

A quick primer for haters or those who skipped comparative religion: Sikhism is a monotheistic dharma which originated during the 15th century in the Punjab region of South Asia. Its followers, known as Sikhs, rarely seeks converts. Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion that originated during the seventh century in what is now Saudi Arabia. Its followers, known as Muslims, do seek converts. The confusion likely stems from the facts some Sikhs and Muslim men wear turbans.

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/brodie...-anti-muslim-vandalism-at-sikh-temple-6825855

...and the bloody great dome on the roof.

If someone is dumb enough to spray offensive graffiti, I doubt they'll understand or care about the differences between religions.

Teen brutally stabs store clerk to death in second attack on Sikhs in Fresno in a week

Police are seeking a teenager who stabbed a Sikh store clerk to death last week in California.

Surveillance video shows the suspect, who appears to be in his late teens, lurking outside the Fresno shop New Year’s Day until customers left, reported KFSN-TV.

The teen, who appears to be white, thin and about 5 foot 7 inches tall, then went inside, called Gurcharan Singh Gill toward him and stabbed the clerk as he approached.

Gill pushed himself away and grabbed a golf club, but the teen knocked him to the ground and walked over to the cash register and tried unsuccessfully to open it.

The suspect grabbed something from a store shelf and walked out, leaving Gill to die from his wounds.

Authorities announced a $10,000 reward, including an $8,000 contribution from the city’s Sikh community and $2,000 from Crimestoppers, for information leading to an arrest.

The incident is being investigated as a hate crime, although Gill does not wear the traditional turban that has made other Sikhs a mistaken target of anti-Muslim violence. ...

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/tee...n-second-attack-on-sikhs-in-fresno-in-a-week/

A secular Sikh?

I think you mean a non-practising or non-observant Sikh.

Every Sikh I have known has been secular in the sense that they believe in the separation of Church and state. They are not seeking to have a religious government.

I'm not nitpicking here. People often say "secular" when they mean "non-practising", "agnostic" or even "atheist". But it doesn't mean the same thing. It's quite possible to be a devout religious believer but still secular. It's an important distinction.

I think you mean a non-practising or non-observant Sikh.

Every Sikh I have known has been secular in the sense that they believe in the separation of Church and state. They are not seeking to have a religious government.

I'm not nitpicking here. People often say "secular" when they mean "non-practising", "agnostic" or even "atheist". But it doesn't mean the same thing. It's quite possible to be a devout religious believer but still secular. It's an important distinction.

Yeah. I was clumsy in my use of words.

Look's like a deliberate provocation, obviously I don't agree with him being beaten to death though.

Police in the Indian city of Amritsar say a man suspected of trying to commit a sacrilegious act at Sikhism's holiest shrine has been beaten to death.

The incident took place during a prayer service at the city's Golden Temple on Saturday, according to local media.
The man allegedly barged into the inner sanctum, where Sikhism's holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib, is kept.
He then tried to touch a ceremonial sword placed next to the book, but was overpowered by guards and worshippers.
Sikhs regard the Guru Granth Sahib as not just the holy scripture of their religion but also as the living Guru, and believe it should be treated with respect as a human might be.
The scuffle took place at around 17:45 local time (11:45 GMT), and was captured on camera as evening prayers were being broadcast on television.

It is unclear exactly what happened next. Police said the man was found dead once officers arrived at the scene, and an investigation is under way.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-59715937

A plot to murder Sikh activists (one already killed), looks as if there was Indian Government involvement.

What US agents knew before a Sikh separatist was killed in Canada​

Photo of Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Canadian police are still investigating the June murder of Mr Nijjar

US prosecutors have charged an Indian man with a plot to kill at least four Sikh separatists in North America. The indictment links the case to the murder of a Canadian citizen earlier this year, and has prompted questions about what US agents knew in the days before his death.

On 18 June, Nikhil Gupta watched a video of a Sikh separatist leader who had been shot dead in Canada in his car, his bloody body slumped over the steering wheel. Mr Gupta then forwarded the video to a man he is accused of hiring as a hitman for another murder, in a different country. On the phone the next day, Mr Gupta told the man that the Canadian activist had been a "target", "#4, #3" on a list.

"We have so many targets," Mr Gupta said. "The good news is this: now no need to wait."

Those alleged conversations were outlined in an indictment unsealed by US prosecutors on Wednesday. The US Justice Department has charged Mr Gupta with an elaborate plot to assassinate a dual US-Canadian citizen based in New York, a plot allegedly directed by an Indian government employee.

While the target was not named by prosecutors, US media reported it was Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, a dual US-Canadian citizen and member of a US-based Sikh separatist group. That particular scheme was thwarted. The hitman in New York who Mr Gupta allegedly agreed to pay $100,000 was in fact an undercover agent.

But the 15-page charging document also provides new details on the attack that did succeed - the fatal shooting of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in British Columbia. These details raise fresh questions about that murder on Canadian soil, about who knew what, and when.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67582825

A plot to murder Sikh activists (one already killed), looks as if there was Indian Government involvement.

What US agents knew before a Sikh separatist was killed in Canada​

Photo of Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Canadian police are still investigating the June murder of Mr Nijjar

US prosecutors have charged an Indian man with a plot to kill at least four Sikh separatists in North America. The indictment links the case to the murder of a Canadian citizen earlier this year, and has prompted questions about what US agents knew in the days before his death.

On 18 June, Nikhil Gupta watched a video of a Sikh separatist leader who had been shot dead in Canada in his car, his bloody body slumped over the steering wheel. Mr Gupta then forwarded the video to a man he is accused of hiring as a hitman for another murder, in a different country. On the phone the next day, Mr Gupta told the man that the Canadian activist had been a "target", "#4, #3" on a list.

"We have so many targets," Mr Gupta said. "The good news is this: now no need to wait."

Those alleged conversations were outlined in an indictment unsealed by US prosecutors on Wednesday. The US Justice Department has charged Mr Gupta with an elaborate plot to assassinate a dual US-Canadian citizen based in New York, a plot allegedly directed by an Indian government employee.

While the target was not named by prosecutors, US media reported it was Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, a dual US-Canadian citizen and member of a US-based Sikh separatist group. That particular scheme was thwarted. The hitman in New York who Mr Gupta allegedly agreed to pay $100,000 was in fact an undercover agent.

But the 15-page charging document also provides new details on the attack that did succeed - the fatal shooting of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in British Columbia. These details raise fresh questions about that murder on Canadian soil, about who knew what, and when.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67582825

The saga continues.

An Indian man accused of conspiring to kill a US-based Sikh separatist leader has asked India's top court to intervene in his case.

Nikhil Gupta has been charged by the US government with trying to hire a hitman to assassinate Gurpatwant Singh Pannun. Mr Gupta is in jail in Prague and has asked the Indian Supreme Court to aid his release and help him get a fair trial.

His lawyer Rohini Musa has alleged that Mr Gupta has been detained illegally. She also claimed that the process to extradite Mr Gupta to the US had started.

"The extradition order has been passed against him. But the copy of the order has not been furnished to us," Ms Musa, who represents Mr Gupta's family, told the BBC. "There are reports that he has already been extradited. We have not been able to get any information from him and his whereabouts," she said.

The BBC has emailed the US Embassy in The Czech Republic for a response to these allegations.

Mr Gupta's family has also asked for an Indian advocate to represent him in the Czech Republic and the US.

In November, US prosecutors charged Mr Gupta with a plot to kill at least four Sikh separatists in North America, including Mr Pannun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-67725935

Back