• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
and Belle and Sebastien? Also The Flashing Blade and Thibaud, Desert Crusader!
I think these came later. As far as I remember, back in the early/mid 70's it was only White Horses and Robinson Crusoe, in alternate years. There may, of course, have been others that I just don't remember, because I was off out doing summer holiday things.
Wasn't The Flashing Blade part of a morning children's programme quite a lot later?

This is the name given to the feelings of dread/apprehension/tension/sadness/anger on a Sunday, when one knows the weekend is drawing to a close and the working week will begin the next day.

For me it is very real, tends to kick in abut 6.30PM, when I know I have just the evening left to pursue my creative and social interests before becoming that automaton again at 8.30am.
My job offers little in terms of satisfaction or salary.

These feelings can manifest as an inability to concentrate, a confusion of what to do, and lethargy, which then ends up with me browsing online without plan and achieving little.

It can be worsened by friends phoning on a Sunday evening, when I want to still gain something out of the weekend in terms of achievement,
If the call goes on longer than 15 minutes I get very agitated, even with close friends, and might snap at them.

Bizarrely though, this does not happen if I meet them in person for a drink or a meal.

I have to counter these feelings by leaving my phone alone, and reading a book, or watching a film, or exercising, or writing
Something concrete.

Does anyone else here experience this?

(I appreciate that not everyone's working week begins on a Monday morning.)
Interesting thread Vic. Thanks for posting - I’ve just picked up on this.

I guess we have all been this position at various times of our lives – education , work etc.

There was a period in my life during my primary school years, where I’d be in tears for most of Sunday, although I don’t ever remember disliking my primary school years, and I don’t remember anything bad happening in my life at that age - and I wasn’t a tearful type of kid either. Maybe something was going on, but I’ve blocked it out.

I have found however that if I give myself something to look forward to on the Monday evenings after work, my Sunday mood brightens. Currently it’s taking Mrs DT out for dinner. Nothing flash, just a bite to eat and a few beers in a local pub. In the summer months it was long country walks.

Maybe you can find a local group that meets on Monday evenings that you could go to.?. It might help.

Take care mate

Not only do I work through many weekends and have weekdays off instead, I enjoy my job and never have to drag my feet. :)

The only worrying aspect is the possibility of getting the early starts wrong. First shift starts before 6am.

Yesterday I somehow woke up for a 6am start at 5:50am. :omg:

That turn involves a first job at 06:23. I rang my manager, threw my clobber on, quickly coerced Techy into driving me over, and arrived at 06:13.

10 minutes to spare, not all that close really. :dunno:

As the twilight of Sunday weaves its mysterious web over people, my wife caught me by surprise by saying “ are we watching the Wonderful World of Disney “ ( 1954 ) which turned into Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color when color TV was introduced.

No matter what was going on in the world, this program was always on Sunday night at 6 P. M.

My wife said Sunday night made her think she was stuck 1954 for a few seconds.

As for me, I have this longing to telephone my mother who has been dead for many years because we always talked on Sunday.

My wife’s and my parents have been dead so many years, I have to look at their pictures to help me to remember.

Sunday night is definitely a different night than other nights of the week.

Wonderful World of Disney..No matter what was going on in the world, this program was always on Sunday night at 6 P. M..

Sunday night is definitely a different night than other nights of the week.
^this^ I can't believe that you had the same program on at the same time and night as I did as a kid (me being in Canada). My family would pull the tv into the kitchen doorway and watch it together while having supper.:popc: That was our Sunday evening routine.

Last edited:
^this^ I can't believe that you had the same program on at the same time and night as I did as a kid (me being in Canada). My family would pull the tv into the kitchen doorway and watch it together while having supper.:popc: That was our Sunday evening routine.
In the UK in the 70s we used to get "The Wonderful World of Disney" on early Saturday evening on BBC1. I was a huge fan of Disney animation and I always remember the disappointment when it was a live action episode, which was most weeks, and the excitement of anticipating the animated episodes. The day we got our first colour tv miraculously coincided with the special episode celebrating 50 years of Disney films - bliss!

My other Disney-related viewing highlights were "Disney Time" (every bank holiday with a variety of clips, animated or otherwise, and presented by some kid-friendly celeb) and the weekly kids' quiz show "Screen Test", which I hurried home from school to see. There was always a Disney clip on there, and more often than not it was an animated one.

This is fun to think about things I have not thought about in years.

I guess we were brainwashed by Disney.

Then there was the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello and her Mouseketeers and all the short stories like “ Spin and Marty “.

Annette as an adult suffered terribly from multiple sclerosis killing her at age 70.

This is fun to think about things I have not thought about in years.

I guess we were brainwashed by Disney.

Then there was the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello and her Mouseketeers and all the short stories like “ Spin and Marty “.

Annette as an adult suffered terribly from multiple sclerosis killing her at age 70.
Funny you should mention Annette Funicello. I don't think we got 'The Mickey Mouse Club' in the UK (as least, I don't recall it) and Annette Funicello was not a name I was familiar with. But back in the late 70s she was mentioned in one of my personal favourite 'mondegreens'.

A mondegreen is the name given to misheard song lyrics. This one arose from the song 'Ariel' by Dean Friedman. The lyrics referred at some point to watching a movie and described it with the line "Annette Funicello and some guy going steady".

Thanks to my old radio, the zany lyrics and Dean Friedman's twangy vocals, I heard the line as "we leapt on a cello and soon got going steady". To my teenage ears, it sounded a bit risqué, not to say kinky.

Many years later, I learned there had been a Disney ingenue called Annette Funicello.... and it finally fell into place. Haven't heard the song in years. I wonder why.

For many years I worked the Sunday-into-Monday midnight shift at our company, . (Rest of the week was dayshift). It cast a pall over the entire day, which you couldn't really explain to non-night people.
But I always made sure to have a big greasy meal & a lot of booze when I got home. Gave me something to look fwd. to.

Last edited:
I was surprised that NBC TV News talked on this Sunday night about the “ Sunday Scaries “ affecting about 75% of the U.S. population.

The news program suggested doing something that makes you happy on Sunday to relieve the stress.

It seems the “ Sunday Scaries “ are real.

My take is that the concept of Sunday Scaries is an extrapolation of natural apprehension about the week ahead, named and quack-medicalised to help sell spurious stress remedies; specifically, CBD products.

We have discussions on'ere about how miserable our Sundays were in times past. In the UK there'd be few shops or places of entertainment open, hardly any public transport and little on TV or the radio apart from religious programmes and the news.
As a grim Sunday drew to a close, we'd have a fresh week of school to worry about.

Sundays are much better now. However, for those who don't work weekends, Monday is still a challenge, especially for people in education. I'm thinking of both staff and students, and specifically teenage and older students who might be susceptible to advertising.

It's a growing market. There's even a brand of CBD gummy bears called 'Sunday Scaries'. I was surprised to note that Mr Ballen's popular YouTube storytelling channel hawks CBD gummies.

Pharmaceutical companies do this all the time. It's called 'disease mongering'.

Disease mongering is a tactic also used in mainstream advertising to great effect.

A famous example, taught to all sociology students, dates back to the 1930s when Horlicks invented 'night starvation'.
This troubling condition could be averted by taking a hot milky malt-flavoured drink at bedtime.
Sales soared.

Cynical, me? You bet. :nods:

Ambulant salespeople regularly board buses in Guatemala, hawking actual snake oil. You wouldn't believe what it cures! Just as well no-one believes them, or all them pharmaceutical multinationals would go out of business... Hmmm, a conspiracy?

I also wonder if snake oil does have any genuine medicinal uses, that were exagerated by the sellers.

Ambulant salespeople regularly board buses in Guatemala, hawking actual snake oil. You wouldn't believe what it cures! Just as well no-one believes them, or all them pharmaceutical multinationals would go out of business... Hmmm, a conspiracy?

I also wonder if snake oil does have any genuine medicinal uses, that were exagerated by the sellers.
There is no form of oil that can be derived from snakes. Snake oil was a totally made-up product. :chuckle:

There is no form of oil that can be derived from snakes. Snake oil was a totally made-up product. :chuckle:
WHAT! You mean they're LYING! You can't trust anyone! I wonder what those guys are selling, it cures everything from runny nose, muscle aches and skin infections to cancer. Lately I've even heard it cures covid

Work have moved me to weekends, so I can enjoy;

a) Fun days.
b) Stressful days.

But they are short staffed, so need me then.

“…in the late 19th century Americans stopped using the traditional Chinese snake oil and began taking oil from the readily available American rattlesnake. While this species has no measurable health properties, in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) fats were extracted from the Chinese water snake which a 1980s study found to be “full of omega-3 fatty acids.” Proven to reduce inflammation (which can lead to arthritis), omega-3 fatty acids also reduces blood pressure. The 1980s experiments were conducted by Professor Richard Kunin, a Californian psychiatrist with a background in neurophysiological research, who, according to an article in Scientific American, claims old snake oil salesmen might been peddling “rich sources of omega-3’s found in cold-blooded creatures inhabiting cooler environments.”

Testing his theory, Kunin procured snake oil from San Francisco's Chinatown and also “two live rattlesnakes” from which Kunin extracted the fat sacks. According to his 1989 analysis which was published in the Western Journal of Medicine, “Chinese water-snake oil contains 20 percent eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), one of the two types of omega-3 fatty acids most readily used by our bodies.” Rattlesnakes had only “8.5 percent EPA” and while salmon is a great source of omega-3’s, Kunin proved that it contains “a maximum of 18 percent EPA, lower than that of snake oil.”

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/snake-oil-0011317

maximus otter

“…in the late 19th century Americans stopped using the traditional Chinese snake oil and began taking oil from the readily available American rattlesnake. While this species has no measurable health properties, in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) fats were extracted from the Chinese water snake which a 1980s study found to be “full of omega-3 fatty acids.” Proven to reduce inflammation (which can lead to arthritis), omega-3 fatty acids also reduces blood pressure. The 1980s experiments were conducted by Professor Richard Kunin, a Californian psychiatrist with a background in neurophysiological research, who, according to an article in Scientific American, claims old snake oil salesmen might been peddling “rich sources of omega-3’s found in cold-blooded creatures inhabiting cooler environments.”

Testing his theory, Kunin procured snake oil from San Francisco's Chinatown and also “two live rattlesnakes” from which Kunin extracted the fat sacks. According to his 1989 analysis which was published in the Western Journal of Medicine, “Chinese water-snake oil contains 20 percent eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), one of the two types of omega-3 fatty acids most readily used by our bodies.” Rattlesnakes had only “8.5 percent EPA” and while salmon is a great source of omega-3’s, Kunin proved that it contains “a maximum of 18 percent EPA, lower than that of snake oil.”

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/snake-oil-0011317

maximus otter
Phew! My faith in ambulant Guatemalan salespeople is restored.

WHAT! You mean they're LYING! You can't trust anyone! I wonder what those guys are selling, it cures everything from runny nose, muscle aches and skin infections to cancer. Lately I've even heard it cures covid
Of COURSE it does. :nods:

I currently have Finest Snake Oil on special offer. PM me for details. :)

There was briefly a real snake-derived product on sale, made by chopping up and boiling snakes and skimming the grease off the finished mixture.
This sounds like an ancient folk remedy. Still wouldn't cure you though.

Back