• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Tomorrow morning it will be an hour later! Only it will feel an hour too early! And then Monday morning . . . :yawn:

I woke up last Sunday morning with the Sunday scaries. Must change my outlook somehow.

I woke up last Sunday morning with the Sunday scaries. Must change my outlook somehow.
Perhaps we should start a thread called 'The Sunday Cosies', where we post our recollections of those long Sunday in summer when all family obligations were completed and we could play outside for the rest of the day?

I'd spend most summer Sundays in the woods behind our house, building dens and sneaking food from the house so we could pretend to be intrepid explorers, carrying our supplies with us as we ventured into the interior.... And then at school on Monday, we'd all get together at break time and go over our adventure (usually with 'added peril' like nearly being seen by someone!)

I'd spend most summer Sundays in the woods behind our house, building dens and sneaking food from the house so we could pretend to be intrepid explorers, carrying our supplies with us as we ventured into the interior.... And then at school on Monday, we'd all get together at break time and go over our adventure (usually with 'added peril' like nearly being seen by someone!)
You lot really were the Famous Five weren't you?

Perhaps we should start a thread called 'The Sunday Cosies', where we post our recollections of those long Sunday in summer when all family obligations were completed and we could play outside for the rest of the day?

When I was 10/12, if I cycled to the next village a mile and a half away it felt like another country.

Interesting to read how TV themes revive memories.
In 1975, teen me hated school and mornings, so when a local TV station started showing "Monty Python's Flying Circus" late-ish on Sunday, my Sunday Dread became Sunday Bittersweet. I looked forward to it as the best thing on TV. But oh, when the music for the closing credits played, such a death knell for freedom and sleeping late.

The only reason for tolerating Sing Something Simple was that the frequency was then handed over to Radio One and I could listen to the Chart Show as a reward. Back in the day, anyway.
It was other way round: the Chart Show finished, there was a quick news summary and then Sing Something Dirge-like began.

If you didn't spring up to hit the off-switch the adults would hear the dread strains and you were stuck with it.

It was other way round: the Chart Show finished, there was a quick news summary and then Sing Something Dirge-like began.

If you didn't spring up to hit the off-switch the adults would hear the dread strains and you were stuck with it.
I concur. Chart show was on whilst I was having my Sunday Bath (don't worry, I since dropped the habit), and then Sing Something Simple began for the 'grown ups' who'd spent the previous hour or so saying 'that's not real music, you can't hear the words!' And then muttering something about long haired layabouts.

Perhaps this was later in the 80s - to my recollection it was Sing Something Simple between 4.30 and 5, and the Chart Show between 5 and 7.

We're all correct on this. It depends on when we were (avoiding) listening.

From Wiki:

In the sixties it was broadcast at 7pm. following on from 'Pick of the Pops' introduced by Alan Freeman.

In later years - particularly in the 1980s - in the days when Radio 2's FM frequencies were sometimes leased to Radio 1, the programme would be broadcast directly before the Top 40.

Nah, this isn't right. Sing Summat Shite started just after 7pm well into the early/mid '70s.
My interest in pop music lasted up to about 1974 when I was 14 or so I dunno what happened to SSS after that.

Probably continued traumatising @JamesWhitehead until Cliff Adams died in 2000.

We're all correct on this. It depends on when we were (avoiding) listening.

From Wiki:

Nah, this isn't right. Sing Summat Shite started just after 7pm well into the early/mid '70s.
My interest in pop music lasted up to about 1974 when I was 14 or so I dunno what happened to SSS after that.

Probably continued traumatising @JamesWhitehead until Cliff Adams died in 2000.
I was listening in the sixties - probably from 1967 or so up to well into the 70's and it was certainly after The Hit Parade all through that time. I remember when My Sweet Lord was Number One (and that, Google tells me, was 1971), and SSS was on after that. Maybe they are using 'The sixties' to mean right through into the 70's?

I was listening in the sixties - probably from 1967 or so up to well into the 70's and it was certainly after The Hit Parade all through that time. I remember when My Sweet Lord was Number One (and that, Google tells me, was 1971), and SSS was on after that. Maybe they are using 'The sixties' to mean right through into the 70's?
Yup, i reckon Wiki has it wrong. I do remember SSS being on at a different time at some point though, mid-afternoon perhaps.
I'm wondering if someone is mixing up DDD with the equally execrable Charlie Chester show Sunday Soapbox.

Now THERE'S a can of worms.:meh:

This thread has dredged up long-forgotten Lovecraftian horrors from the darkest recesses of my mind. Things like Grand Hotel, Your Hundred Best Tunes and Friday Night is Music Night to name but three.
How about 'The Organist Entertains' ? That was going until a few years ago. Not on Sunday night though. It got rescheduled, then cut in half, then finally vanished into the ether. I wonder what Nigel Ogden does with his organ these days?

Last edited:
How about 'The Organist Entertains' ? That was going until a few years ago. Not on Sunday night though. It got rescheduled, then cut in half, then finally vanished into the ether. I wonder what Nigel Ogden does with his organ these days?

From Wiki -
The 30 minute programme focused on the organ in its many guises, and played recordings and live broadcasts of theatre organs, pipe organs and electronic organs around the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.

I have found nothing quite so entertaining as a skilful organ demonstration. :nods:

That sounds like me and my brother and his friend.Our favourite tree is still standing up in the woods 40+ years later-just a bit bigger now.
Happy times.

My word my dad liked Klaus Wunder!icht, that is if I have the name right. He had a record of his.

Remember, your parents had been through The War.

Remember, your parents had been through The War.
Yes, after the War, the horrors of Sing Something Simple were nothing.
Interesting to read how TV themes revive memories.
In 1975, teen me hated school and mornings, so when a local TV station started showing "Monty Python's Flying Circus" late-ish on Sunday, my Sunday Dread became Sunday Bittersweet. I looked forward to it as the best thing on TV. But oh, when the music for the closing credits played, such a death knell for freedom and sleeping late.
I only have to hear the TV theme to White Horses or Robinson Crusoe to be taken right back to long school summer holidays! These were the only two programmes on during the day back when I was a child, so we'd watch this and then be outside to play.

This was in the weekly work newsletter. I thought of this thread immediately.

https://news.exeter.ac.uk/faculty-o...-emails-and-blurred-boundaries-study-reveals/

From that article:

"Survey results of 650 respondents show that people experience energy dips on Sunday evenings and an increase to their energy levels on Monday mornings, which researchers believe can contribute to experiencing the Sunday Night Blues.

Interviews with professionals from across the media industry have shown that triggers of the blues – or Sunday Scaries as they’ve also been dubbed – can include receiving emails over the weekend, unfinished work from the week before and self-imposed pressure to perform."

For me, in my current job I don't look at any emails when away from work, rarely think about unfinished work, and do not pressure myself to perform.

It is simply that I really do not like my job and the effect it has on my mood and energy levels outside of work!

Yes, after the War, the horrors of Sing Something Simple were nothing.
:chuckle:

There was definitely a Wartime aspect to my teenage dislike of SSS which I couldn't back then articulate: a sense that the way all the songs were arranged and performed to sound very similar, uniform in fact, was deliberate.
As if it were tapping into a vein of Wartime propaganda about Pulling Together and Keeping Our Chins Up.

Back