• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
@Yithian what does it say behind the rubber band?

Caffeine Free! High AAAAAA!

:wide: I am, alas, non the wiser.

Granulated tea. Is this a widespread thing?

Has it helped?
I don't know, really. I just read somewhere that it might help.
I think the next thing I should do is ask my doctor if I can come off the amlodipine. That medication may be the underlying cause.

I normally only use Tesco's Finest or Morrison's Best Assam tea-bags, but ran out at Work today (Office @30C and 90% humidity). I went scavenging and found some organic (cynical marketing ploy playing on fear) Fairtrade (undercutting your fellow scratch-farmers through subsidies) bio-degradable (dissolves in water), unbleached (cardboard brown) tea-bags of indeterminate blend and vintage.
It was the best tea I've ever had. Dammit.

I recommend Twinings' English Breakfast.
A nice golden brew, strong enough to give you a boost but rounded and pleasingly smooth too.

I love Tea Vic. I’m a least a 10 to 12 cup a day man in the Autumn / winter months.

The last time I went to the companies Christmas bash, I was given a teapot as a secret Santa present :D .

I have asked before on this forum, but with no response, but why is it the British (and perhaps the Aussies and Kiwi’s) the only nation that adds milk to its Tea…?

I do have a theory but what does everyone else think…?

The Twinings' tea shop by the way is at the top end of Fleet Street - well worth a visit.

I have asked before on this forum, but with no response, but why is it the British (and perhaps the Aussies and Kiwi’s) the only nation that adds milk to its Tea…?
It's not very common in America, where if anything besides a sweetener goes into tea it's usually a squirt of lemon juice, but many Americans do like milk or cream in their tea. My wife does it regularly, and my Mother's side of the family did it occasionally, as do I. I draw the line, however, at the suggestion on a box of tea that said I might enjoy milk and lemon together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Tea Vic. I’m a least a 10 to 12 cup a day man in the Autumn / winter months.

The last time I went to the companies Christmas bash, I was given a teapot as a secret Santa present :D .

The Twinings' tea shop by the way is at the top end of Fleet Street - well worth a visit.
In my experience as an ex- regular now occasional tea drinker, milk takes away the bitterness of black tea varieties.

As

The Twinings' tea shop by the way is at the top end of Fleet Street - well worth a visit
Former members of the Empire drink primarily black tea (ie, not so much matcha, green, twig) and sometimes use milk. Tibetans put yak butter in their tea. Some Russians put milk or butter in. I have not run across any other culture that cuts their tea with milkfat.

I grew up with milky tea (and coffee for that matter), but after having it the Egyptian way ie no milk, lots of sugar and often a leaf or two of mint, that is the only way I can drink it now. AND it has to be in a glass, not a cup or mug. (I don't have the sugar these days though, only on occassion). I don't know for sure, but maybe in the heat of the middle east, milk wouldn't be very good. Although having said that, as you say they do use it in hot countries so I'm not sure. I certainly found it more thirst quenching when taken without milk though, and it really does taste better (to me) in a glass.

Former members of the Empire drink primarily black tea (ie, not so much matcha, green, twig) and sometimes use milk. Tibetans put yak butter in their tea. Some Russians put milk or butter in. I have not run across any other culture that cuts their tea with milkfat.
Going to coffee wasn’t there a trend of ‘bulletproof’ coffee which had butter in it?

Okay well it’s not really my theory, but I read the following in the 2010 very readable book “At Home” by Bill Bryson.

Coffee was introduced into Britain before teas was, but only the very wealthy could afford to drink it. Over time coffee merchants worked out if they adulterated the coffee, and bulked it up with anything they could (like sawdust and even mouse droppings apparently) they could afford to sell it more cheaply to a wider audience, and so increase their profit margins.

However by doing this, coffee started to taste very bitter, so people started to add cream then later milk into their coffee to lighten the taste.

By the time Tea was introduced into the country, most Britain’s were used to adding milk into their hot beverages, and continued to do so with Tea, and this why traditionally British people add milk to their morning cuppa’s.

Whaddya reckon.? Did Bryson make this up, or what. It sounds plausible to me.

Okay well it’s not really my theory, but I read the following in the 2010 very readable book “At Home” by Bill Bryson.

Coffee was introduced into Britain before teas was, but only the very wealthy could afford to drink it. Over time coffee merchants worked out if they adulterated the coffee, and bulked it up with anything they could (like sawdust and even mouse droppings apparently) they could afford to sell it more cheaply to a wider audience, and so increase their profit margins.

However by doing this, coffee started to taste very bitter, so people started to add cream then later milk into their coffee to lighten the taste.

By the time Tea was introduced into the country, most Britain’s were used to adding milk into their hot beverages, and continued to do so with Tea, and this why traditionally British people add milk to their morning cuppa’s.

Whaddya reckon.? Did Bryson make this up, or what. It sounds plausible to me.
Wouldn't suprise me at all Dick. They used to add all sorts of crap to bread as well.

Butter?! I just threw up a little bit.

I'm taking the day off tomorrow so it will have to wait until Monday. I might have some English Breakfast at home; I know I have some of the misnamed Irish Breakfast, which the Irish (and old Polaks like me) can enjoy all day. I wonder what might happen if I just use regular Lipton.
Up until now, I thought you were British. I too am an American and an old Polak from "Da Region" in NW Indiana. Occasionally my cups sing to me as a preliminary to the handle falling off or the cup cracking. I was raised drinking tea with milk and sugar.

Edit: My first set of in-laws were from the Ukraine, and drank hot tea in a glass with sugar and mint.

Last edited:
It's not very common in America, where if anything besides a sweetener goes into tea it's usually a squirt of lemon juice, but many Americans do like milk or cream in their tea. My wife does it regularly, and my Mother's side of the family did it occasionally, as do I. I draw the line, however, at the suggestion on a box of tea that said I might enjoy milk and lemon together.
I remember being laughed at in a café in New York city, when I asked for a little drop of milk in my tea.

“Whadda yer have in yer tea honey” I was asked. I’m guessing now that the café worker meant lemon, or maybe perhaps some mint, but I replied with “Oh just a little bit milk and no sugar please love” and the entire café was in hysterics.

Must of stereotyped myself :D

I remember being laughed at in a café in New York city, when I asked for a little drop of milk in my tea.

“Whadda yer have in yer tea honey” I was asked. I’m guessing now that the café worker meant lemon, or maybe perhaps some mint, but I replied with “Oh just a little bit milk and no sugar please love” and the entire café was in hysterics.

Must of stereotyped myself :D
New Yorker here and order tea with milk all the time. I think they may have been taken by your accent, not your beverage order. They would have laughed at mint.

Back