• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Newly published research examines the Tesla Valve - a fluidic device that affords the ability to control fluid flows. This rarely mentioned aspect of Tesla's work holds promise for simple and inexpensive applications in fluids management.
Scientists Explore Tesla Roads Not Taken – And Find Potential New Utility in 100-Year-Old Invention

A valve invented by engineer Nikola Tesla a century ago is not only more functional than previously realized, but also has other potential applications today, a team of researchers has found after conducting a series of experiments on replications of the early 20th-century design.

Its findings, reported in the journal Nature Communications, suggest that Tesla’s device, which he called a “valvular conduit,” could harness the vibrations in engines and other machinery to pump fuel, coolants, lubricants, and other gases and liquids.

Now known as the Tesla Valve, the patented device has inspired strategies for directing streams within flow networks and circuits.

“It’s remarkable that this 100-year-old invention is still not completely understood and may be useful in modern technologies in ways not yet considered,” explains Leif Ristroph, an associate professor in New York University’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and the paper’s senior author. “While Tesla is known as a wizard of electric currents and electrical circuits, his lesser-known work to control flows or fluid currents was truly ahead of its time.” ...

The Tesla Valve — a series of interconnected teardrop-shaped loops — was designed to pass flows of fluid in only one direction and with no moving parts. The device provides a clear path for forward flows, but the route is slower for reverse flows — but this latter drawback in fact points to a potential, unrealized benefit in circumstances when flows need to be controlled rather than unleashed. ...
FULL STORY:
https://scitechdaily.com/scientists...ential-new-utility-in-100-year-old-invention/

PUBLISHED RESEARCH REPORT:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23009-y

Was watching a video out of curiosity, and happened to come across this video on the same platform. . .

Don't know where to post it, so maybe someone could place it in the right place. Really interesting delve into the makeup of our universe, maybe FT'ers will find it just as fascinating as what Tesla did, and possibly dig up even further additions to it?

Last edited:
Was watching a video out of curiosity, and happened to come across this video on the same platform. . .

Don't know where to post it, so maybe someone could place it in the right place. Really interesting delve into the makeup of our universe, maybe FT'ers will find it just as fascinating as what Tesla did, and possibly dig up even further additions to it?

That was interesting but made my brain hurt.

Reactions: Sid
Sunday - I was watching a programme on TV (could have been on the 'Blaze Tv channel?'), it was about crop circles.
My mind was on something else at the time, but I happened to look up just when this crop circle image popped up on screen, and it reminded me instantly with the curious image of the Tesla numbers triangle image, which I thought was a bit more than just a rather strange coincidence ~ i.e.
Untitled.png
*Compared to Tesla's numbers circle. Tesla.jpg

Sunday - I was watching a programme on TV (could have been on the 'Blaze Tv channel?'), it was about crop circles.
My mind was on something else at the time, but I happened to look up just when this crop circle image popped up on screen, and it reminded me instantly with the curious image of the Tesla numbers triangle image, which I thought was a bit more than just a rather strange coincidence ~ i.e.
View attachment 53305*Compared to Tesla's numbers circle. View attachment 53306

Assuming they’re man-made, many of the designs have had mathematical bases - fractals such as Mandelbrot & Julia Set have featured, so the makers clearly have mathematical knowledge.

1647873949362.png

Resurfaced Nikola Tesla writings about machines with their 'own mind' eerily predict rise of AI

Century-old writings by American inventor Nikola Tesla seem to predict the development of artificial intelligence, foreshadowing the rise of the groundbreaking tech.

"I purpose to show that, however impossible it may now seem, an automaton may be contrived which will have its ‘own mind,’" Tesla wrote in June 1900," and by this I mean that it will be able, independent of any operator, left entirely to itself, to perform, in response to external influences affecting its sensitive organs, a great variety of acts and operations as if it had intelligence."

The comments were published in "The Century Magazine" in an essay titled "The Problem of Increasing Human Energy."

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/resurf...with-their-own-mind-eerily-predict-rise-of-ai

maximus otter

Nikola Tesla’s historic Wardenclyffe lab site at risk after devastating fire

Back in 2012, a crowdfunding effort on Indigogo successfully raised the funds necessary to purchase the Wardenclyffe Tower site on Long Island, New York, where Serbian inventor Nikola Tesla once tried to build an ambitious wireless transmission station.

tesla5CROP-800x533.jpg

Nikola Tesla's Wardenclyffe plant on Long Island circa 1902 in partial stage of completion.

The goal was to raise additional funds to build a $20 million Tesla Science Centre there, with a museum, an educational center, and a technological innovation program. The nonprofit group behind the project finally broke ground this April after years of basic restoration work—only to experience a devastating setback last week, two days before Thanksgiving, when a fire broke out.

Over 100 firefighters from 17 local departments responded and battled the flames throughout the night, as residual embers led to two additional outbreaks.

While an investigation is ongoing as to the cause of the fire, Fire Chief Sean McCarrick said that they had ruled out arson. According to project architect Mark Thaler, there was nothing flammable in the lab that could have caused the fire, although the back buildings had wood-frame roofs.

The original brick building, designed by Stanford White, is still standing, although there is considerable damage to the structure of the roof, steel girders, chimney, cupola, and a portion of a wall. Some elements have been irreparably destroyed, but fortunately all museum artifacts in TSC's collection were stored offsite.

The most pressing concern is that water from the firehoses saturated the brick walls, according to Thaler, since the upcoming colder winter temperatures could freeze that moisture and cause the brick work to break apart and collapse.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...yffe-lab-site-at-risk-after-devastating-fire/

maximus otter

"I purpose to show that, however impossible it may now seem, an automaton may be contrived which will have its ‘own mind,’" Tesla wrote in June 1900," and by this I mean that it will be able, independent of any operator, left entirely to itself, to perform, in response to external influences affecting its sensitive organs, a great variety of acts and operations as if it had intelligence."

Not for the first time, Nikola Tesla has hit the nail on the head there. Today, there's barely a news report, on TV or radio, which doesn't contain at least some mention of AI. We're all being led to believe that we're on the brink of some amazing world of true machine intelligence, but that's not how I see it.

As Tesla wrote, we are approaching the time when certain machines might perform as if they have intelligence. Given enough data and enough computing power, machines can give the appearance of understanding, but that's all it will be with current technology. The only machines that might threaten to take over the world will be those programmed (by humans) to do so!

Anyhow, on a slightly less philosophical note, I have finally managed to obtain on CD (I had the cassette many moons ago) the album Psychotic Supper, by the excellent group Tesla. They named themselves after the great man, and indeed, the second track on this album is Edison's Medicine (aka Man Out of Time) - an excellent song about how Tesla was not given the credit he deserved. In fact, another of this band's albums is named The Great Radio Controversy, so you can see where their interests lie!

Last edited:
Not for the first time, Nikola Tesla has hit the nail on the head there. Today, there's barely a news report, on TV or radio, which doesn't contain at least some mention of AI. We're all being led to believe that we're on the brink of some amazing world of true machine intelligence, but that's not how I see it.

As Tesla wrote, we are approaching the time when certain machines might perform as if they have intelligence. Given enough data and enough computing power, machines can give the appearance of understanding, but that's all it will be with current technology. The only machines that might threaten to take over the world will be those programmed (by humans) to do so!

Anyhow, on a slightly less philosophical note, I have finally managed to obtain on CD (I had the cassette many moons ago) the album Psychotic Supper, by the excellent group Tesla. They named themselves after the great man, and indeed, the second track on this album is Edison's Medicine (aka Man Out of Time) - an excellent song about how Tesla was not given the credit he deserved. In fact, another of this band's albums is named The Great Radio Controversy, so you can see where their interests lie!
He wasn't wrong, I am not getting caught up in all the AI hype because from what I have seen it's not actually what we would call intelligence, which involves a lot more than just regurgitating information and working to set parameters

All just a prank?

Tesla owners have been reminded to keep their eyes on the road after videos of drivers wearing Apple's virtual reality headset have gone viral.

US Secretary for Transport Pete Buttigieg posted on X (formerly Twitter) to say that all current vehicles require the driver to be engaged "at all times".

However, one driver admitted his video was a prank.

Tesla and Apple have been contacted for comment.

Videos posted online show people in the drivers seats of cars which have an autonomous mode, while wearing the Apple headset over their eyes.

One was reposted by Pete Buttigieg, who wrote: "Reminder - ALL advanced driver assistance systems available today require the human driver to be in control and fully engaged in the driving task at all times."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68215614

Not finger licking good.

A chicken shop owner in Greater Manchester who took on Tesla in a trademark dispute has been left £12,000 out of pocket after losing his case.

Amanj Ali, 41, owned the trademark "Tesla Chicken & Pizza", which he registered for a new takeaway. He then opposed electric car maker Tesla's bid to protect its trademark for food and drinks services in the UK. Tesla argued Mr Ali's trademark would take advantage of its reputation. The BBC has approached Tesla for comment.

Mr Ali owns Colorado's Chicken in Bury, and in May 2020 registered "Tesla Chicken & Pizza" with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) in class 43 for food and drink services. He said the inspiration for his trademark was the same as the motoring giant - the Serbian-American inventor and electrical engineer Nikola Tesla.

When asked why he wanted to name his business after Nikola Tesla, he said: "He was a kind of intelligent guy... in my young age, I was... reading about him, looking at his pictures."

Mr Ali said Tesla did not object to his trademark in the usual two-month period after registration when an opposition can be filed. But in November 2021, he got an email from the IPO.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-68173060

Not finger licking good.

A chicken shop owner in Greater Manchester who took on Tesla in a trademark dispute has been left £12,000 out of pocket after losing his case.

Amanj Ali, 41, owned the trademark "Tesla Chicken & Pizza", which he registered for a new takeaway. He then opposed electric car maker Tesla's bid to protect its trademark for food and drinks services in the UK. Tesla argued Mr Ali's trademark would take advantage of its reputation. The BBC has approached Tesla for comment.

Mr Ali owns Colorado's Chicken in Bury, and in May 2020 registered "Tesla Chicken & Pizza" with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) in class 43 for food and drink services. He said the inspiration for his trademark was the same as the motoring giant - the Serbian-American inventor and electrical engineer Nikola Tesla.

When asked why he wanted to name his business after Nikola Tesla, he said: "He was a kind of intelligent guy... in my young age, I was... reading about him, looking at his pictures."

Mr Ali said Tesla did not object to his trademark in the usual two-month period after registration when an opposition can be filed. But in November 2021, he got an email from the IPO.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-68173060
So, if nobody had placed objections within the two-month of the 'allowed' (but is it a strict condition?) period, as to his using the Tesla trademark, then surely that dismisses any objections thereafter?

Last edited:
So, if nobody had placed objections within the two-month of 'allowed' (but is it a strict condition?) period, as to his using the Tesla trademark, then surely that dismisses any objections thereafter?

I'm not sure, there are always legal options for those with deep pockets,

Back