• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've just seen a trailer for this, where our heroes are being shown their new lodgings.

Mrs Hudson assumes they'll only need one bedroom and assures them that 'There's all sorts round here!' and that Mrs Turner next door's got - what?
She mee maws a bit and I can't understand! :lol:

Looking forward to it anyway. :D

'Married ones' :lol:

A 'three-patch problem', :yeay:

I laughed like a drain!

But it wasn't a pastiche (or even a piss-take) but a genuine 'homage'.

Brilliant entertainment! :D

Fast and complex enough to survive multiple re-runs too.
(What did I miss when I went for a pee?)

I was expecting to hate it ('cos I'm miserable like that; hate anything 'up-dated' ;) ) but I really enjoyed it; different enough not to be just another re-make, but keeping something of the atmosphere of the original too.
My 13 year old (who hasn't seen or read any Holmes, just listened to me going on :p) LOVED it.
Looking forward to the rest of them, definitely (which makes a change!)

I wasn;t sure i could take it seriously again after the 3-patch problem(!)

Mark Gatiss superbly creepy but he always does that well, Holmes dialogue a bit too much like a certain other clever character Moffatt writes, but i suppose it's not that surprising.

I'm still trying to decide if this is a bit too clever for it's own good, or strangely compelling in a watching a car crash kind of way.

overall enjoyed the new version.
got the cabby suspect fairly quickly.
(is it a reworking of a existing conan doyle story?)
(er yes A Study in Scarlet:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Study_in_Scarlet

lots of good gags though.
seemed strapped for cash though - same two women extras walked past 221b twice in the early part of show.
the modernization seemed to work well.

and there really is a Science of deduction website:
http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/

and watson's blog:
http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/

maybe it was just my head and an obvious way of trying to make Holmes a bit weird, but did anyone lese think his funny way of sitting was reminiscent of L in Death Note? who was a similarly deductive character?

Mal_Content said:
...seemed strapped for cash though - same two women extras walked past 221b in the early part of show...
There were some odd continuity things going on. When Holmes looked out of the window to see a police car draw up outside 221b the street was dark. He told LeStrade he'd follow rather than get in said car. Then he and Watson went outside in broad daylight and hailed a cab.. and then conducted their journey in darkness again.

I enjoyed it :).

I had a nagging sense of recognition throughout. There's something about the pace of it, and the comedy; even the youthful hero with the cheek and the cheekbones and the geeky chic - charming, attractive, but asexual . . . what is it reminding me of? And then it came to me! It's no surprise I suppose, given who's behind it, but I think Steven Moffat has created Sherlock Whoms. :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... -tv-review

stuneville said:
There were some odd continuity things going on... he and Watson went outside in broad daylight and hailed a cab.. and then conducted their journey in darkness again.
That's odd, because I watched the scene where they got in the cab, and the street seemed to be getting darker as I watched. By the time the cab got to the corner, I could swear that it was becoming twilight, and so I wasn't surprised at the gloom outside when they were riding toward their destination. Unfortunately, I'd been channel-hopping between that and Coast, and so missed the previous (night-time) scene.

WhistlingJack said:
Sherlock Holmes threads merged ;)
But a very clumsy thread title. Threads on different topics are what make up a message board, so a thread doesn't really need the word Thread or Topic in its title! How about "The Complete Sherlock Holmes"?

It's a nod to the titles of the various Holmes story collections - I had to call it something.

A shame this isn't another type of website.
"The Facebook of Sherlock Holmes" has a certain ring!

More continuity - Holmes arranged to meet Watson at the new flat at 7pm. When they met it was still light, although everyone was wrapped up in warm clothes. This suggests that it was really winter, when it would be dark at 7pm. :lol:

We did enjoy it though, despite anomalies such as Holmes' refusal to suit up at the crime scene.

Also, his bit of cruelty to the dying cabbie was an eye-opener! :shock:

I loved it.

Higher functioning sociopath? Fantastic.

I'm trying to find a repeat so I don't have to watch it on a stupid computer screen. Wish I'd taped it, but I'd forgotten it was starting.

Ravenstone said:
I'm trying to find a repeat so I don't have to watch it on a stupid computer screen.
Well, at least with iPlayer you can pause the action for any comfort breaks!

(Assuming you've got the bandwidth - my connection is marginal, so sometimes I have to give up and try again at a quieter time.)

We have Sky+ for just such emergencies. ;)

I didn't have high hopes, but I was satisfied and hungry for more by the end. Glad Mark Gatiss wasn't Moriarty, I always expect him to crack a joke in his serious roles and this role suits him better. Overall it was pleasing and clever without being alienating, just like the originals. I liked this more than what Mr Moffat did to Dr Jekyll.

escargot1 said:
It's not helping your memory much - you've posted that twice! ;)

You weren't listening first time. :lol:

Ravenstone said:
I loved it.

Higher functioning sociopath? Fantastic.

I'm trying to find a repeat so I don't have to watch it on a stupid computer screen. Wish I'd taped it, but I'd forgotten it was starting.

Can you plug your computer into your telly?
Took me ages to get that sorted but I can't believe I managed without it now.

I used a kworld dual digital TV tuner card in my PC to record the sherlock whilst I watched Coast.
(The Kworld card comes with utterly useless software BUT is cheap and works perfectly with Windows media centre - you simply tell WMC to record it and it does it (plus a little lee-way either side.))
Recording was fine with only a couple of glitches. Only grumble I have is the aspect ratio is off as I'm using a 1680x1050 samsung TV as the monitor. This can be fixed easily though by running WMC windowed and adjusting window size.

Peripart said:
A shame this isn't another type of website.
"The Facebook of Sherlock Holmes" has a certain ring!

Featuring Sherlock's brother, Myspace Holmes.

I'll get me deerstalker...

Back