• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bear Grylls is on the same diet after giving up Veganism:

Bear Grylls says he's 'embarrassed' that he used to promote being vegan and now doesn't 'go near' vegetables

"I've found a counterculture way of living, of embracing red meat and organs — natural food just like our millennia of ancestors would have eaten for hundreds of thousands of years," he said. "I've tried to listen to my body more, tried to listen to nature, and I don't miss vegetables at all. I don't go near them and I've never felt stronger, my skin's never been better, and my gut's never been better."

https://www.businessinsider.com/bear-grylls-said-embarrassed-he-used-to-be-vegan-2023-5#:~:text=Celebrity survivalist Bear Grylls said,-changer" for his health.

So there you are, can't say I would want to go into the cubicle after him. It
seems the obsession with what other people and celebrities eat is a very 21st Century thing as I don't recall interviews in Smash Hits asking what the 80s pop stars ate.
Didn't Led Zeppelin eat lobster...or is it too soon..?

We had relatives who followed a period of veganism with a sudden lurch to offalism. The fact they did this in unison, as a family, seemed to confirm that one dominated and the others followed.

It could be a physical craving that asserts itself after abstaining, of course, though we tended to attribute both phases to exhibitionism. :thought:

We had relatives who followed a period of veganism with a sudden lurch to offalism. The fact they did this in unison, as a family, seemed to confirm that one dominated and the others followed.

It could be a physical craving that asserts itself after abstaining, of course, though we tended to attribute both phases to exhibitionism. :thought:
I occasionally 'crave' onions, decent tomatoes, crusty bread and sometimes eggs if I haven't had any for a while, but none of the things I thought I would really miss like chicken/lamb/coffee and now cheese. Very odd.

I occasionally 'crave' onions, decent tomatoes, crusty bread and sometimes eggs if I haven't had any for a while, but none of the things I thought I would really miss like chicken/lamb/coffee and now cheese. Very odd.
Hard cheese is so bad for the body. I gave up eating it a few years ago after suffering hives and seeing an Ayurvedic doctor who gave me a list of what not to eat. It also included anything that contained wheat and definitely no tomatoes and also no onions or garlic both of which can be used for proper medicinal purposes if needed. At now 66 years old I am now the healthiest I've ever been. It was a struggle at first to read every label and find foods I could eat but now I eat healthier than I've ever eaten.

I've been veggie for around 50 years. It's been so long I can't imagine my eating meat, fish or eggs. I don't care what anyone else eats, I just can't imagine myself eating it. I have no desire to do so either. I don't crave any of it and I've been healthy my whole life but more so these last few years. I haven't needed to see a doctor since I was 15 except for the on line medical advice about me having hives a few years back which was via the NHS was it may go or it may get worse and there's no real cure. I saw an Ayurvedic doctor and took the tablets he gave me and the impossible itching that made a mosquito bites seem trivia went in 3 days and the welts went after a few weeks.

Also the idea that a veggie diet means less energy than meat eaters is rollocks. It's in part not eating the right foods and in part the desire to eat meat being subtly suppressed. The largest and most powerful creatures on earth are veggie. Would any argue with an angry rhino or elephant?

The food thing and what to eat and what not to eat is mainly not so much due to the foods themselves but rather more about how those foods have been adulterated and chemically changed. Especially hard wheat. Wheat is now unrecognisable to the wheat of by gone years. It's the same for hard cheese. It's all about shelf life and profits. As always, follow the money.

Last edited:
I guess I’m lucky enough to have witnessed the legend himself.

1714263271078.jpeg

I've been vegetarian since 1958.
I know it's best to eat very little cheese, lots of veg, all sorts of beans and lots of mushrooms!
I do take a cheap multi vitamin pill every day , mainly for the iron.
I've had very little time off work, (full time teacher), brought up my son on my own, live alone and keep my small house and garden clean and tidy all by myself.
Oh, and I still go in the sea when it reaches 15 degrees. I'm the wrong side of 75, by the way.
Eating meat may be what our ancestors had to do , but it's CRUEL.
Yes, nature is intrinsically cruel, but we humans don't have to be.
We can surely rise above it!

I went to a vegetarian boarding school, and like eating and cooking vegetarian meals ... as well as meat dishes.
I've heard all the reasons why people are vegetarian and vegan; the ethics, the health benefits etc. All really valid ... for them.
People and their reaction to foodstuffs are all unique to that person; they may have Chron's disease, they may feel great after abstaining from meat etc. It's your body and not mine to diss.
Y'all do what suits y'all and so on.
But forcing someone to follow your own choice - by emotional or anecdotal methods - is as misguided as me insisting that I've been eating meat all my life and I've been okay so everyone should do it.
I can understand the urge to sermonise something that you believe in wholeheartedly but, like religion, it's an individual choice.

Hard cheese is so bad for the body. I gave up eating it a few years ago after suffering hives and seeing an Ayurvedic doctor who gave me a list of what not to eat. It also included anything that contained wheat and definitely no tomatoes and also no onions or garlic both of which can be used for proper medicinal purposes if needed. At now 66 years old I am now the healthiest I've ever been. It was a struggle at first to read every label and find foods I could eat but now I eat healthier than I've ever eaten.
Out of interest, what's wrong with tomatoes then?

LESS LUST
FROM LESS
PROTEIN:
LESS FISH
BIRD,MEAT
CHEESE
EGG:BEANS
PEAS:NUTS
and SITTING.
He was some kind of nut who didn't like people having sex, so he thought that removing foods that keep people healthy would make them too weak and apathetic to even think about having sex. Strange man.

I've been veggie for around 50 years. It's been so long I can't imagine my eating meat, fish or eggs. I don't care what anyone else eats, I just can't imagine myself eating it. I have no desire to do so either. I don't crave any of it and I've been healthy my whole life but more so these last few years. I haven't needed to see a doctor since I was 15 except for the on line medical advice about me having hives a few years back which was via the NHS was it may go or it may get worse and there's no real cure. I saw an Ayurvedic doctor and took the tablets he gave me and the impossible itching that made a mosquito bites seem trivia went in 3 days and the welts went after a few weeks.

Also the idea that a veggie diet means less energy than meat eaters is rollocks. It's in part not eating the right foods and in part the desire to eat meat being subtly suppressed. The largest and most powerful creatures on earth are veggie. Would any argue with an angry rhino or elephant?

The food thing and what to eat and what not to eat is mainly not so much due to the foods themselves but rather more about how those foods have been adulterated and chemically changed. Especially hard wheat. Wheat is now unrecognisable to the wheat of by gone years. It's the same for hard cheese. It's all about shelf life and profits. As always, follow the money.
I've also had to rule out tomatoes, onions and garlic as they were giving me IBS. Garlic is okay if roasted in a dish and then ignored or thrown away (eg with roasted potatoes) or in oil as you actually have to eat the garlic itself to have adverse effects. Raw onion completely out of the question but just about tolerable if cooked for two hours in a stew and I don't have the sauce. Likewise, shallots add great flavour to roasted potatoes but again have to be pushed to one side or chucked out. I also gave up cow's milk after they started to homogenise it and apparently science taels me this made no difference to intolerances and allergies but it did in my case.

Anyway, doesn't omitting these three base ingredients limit your available recipes? I know it does with my non-veggie, mostly cooked-from-scratch diet I don't share your vegetarian ethics but I do respect them and won't resort to insults and name-calling as seem to be the case everywhere these days.

I've also had to rule out tomatoes, onions and garlic as they were giving me IBS. Garlic is okay if roasted in a dish and then ignored or thrown away (eg with roasted potatoes) or in oil as you actually have to eat the garlic itself to have adverse effects. Raw onion completely out of the question but just about tolerable if cooked for two hours in a stew and I don't have the sauce. Likewise, shallots add great flavour to roasted potatoes but again have to be pushed to one side or chucked out. I also gave up cow's milk after they started to homogenise it and apparently science taels me this made no difference to intolerances and allergies but it did in my case.

Anyway, doesn't omitting these three base ingredients limit your available recipes? I know it does with my non-veggie, mostly cooked-from-scratch diet I don't share your vegetarian ethics but I do respect them and won't resort to insults and name-calling as seem to be the case everywhere these days.
Yes, I find that a little bit of raw onion is ok, but not too much. Cooked is fine though.

I didn't know that tomatoes caused ibs.

I used to love nothing more than a full bulb of roasted garlic, but I don't eat much anymore. As long as it's very soft when cooked though, it doesn't seem to cause me any problems.

I think I would struggle without fish and bread, although I don't eat as much bread as I used to.

Out of interest, what's wrong with tomatoes then?
I'm not sure exactly. I've come across different reasons from tomatoes deplete the body to them being toxic to the immune system.

Occasionally the desire for beans on toast wins out and afterwards I feel queasy for hours and my digestion seems suppressed for a day or two as if my stomach isn't then digesting food properly which I notice when it came out the other end.

The other food that @Paul_Exeter mentioned is milk. Homogenised milk especially is virtually indigestible. I sometimes buy raw milk which is easily digestible and incredibly healthy and has so much taste that it makes ordinary milk taste like water.

I'm not sure exactly. I've come across different reasons from tomatoes deplete the body to them being toxic to the immune system.

Occasionally the desire for beans on toast wins out and afterwards I feel queasy for hours and my digestion seems suppressed for a day or two as if my stomach isn't then digesting food properly which I notice when it came out the other end.

The other food that @Paul_Exeter mentioned is milk. Homogenised milk especially is virtually indigestible. I sometimes buy raw milk which is easily digestible and incredibly healthy and has so much taste that it makes ordinary milk taste like water.
Right.

Something else I've noticed; I cooked MrsF some soup this week (out of a tin)- I tried some to make sure it was hot and the amount of sugar in the stuff was frightening.
(Also a rip-off in my opinion- far cheaper and healthier to make a large homemade batch).

Same with salt in a lot of the vegan meats.

Right.

Something else I've noticed; I cooked MrsF some soup this week (out of a tin)- I tried some to make sure it was hot and the amount of sugar in the stuff was frightening.
(Also a rip-off in my opinion- far cheaper and healthier to make a large homemade batch).

Same with salt in a lot of the vegan meats.
I'm so fortunate to live in a town where there are so many places that make their own healthy foods from scratch.

I avoid anything veggie or vegan in a tin or packet as they all seem to contain not only loads of salt and sugar but loads of chemicals as well.

p.s.I realise that if I'd been born Inuit (Eskimo in the past ) I would have had to have eaten fish, seals etc because there was nothing else.
But I was born in Hampshire UK and so I can choose for myself what I eat.

By the way, I cooked meat for my ex-husband and two chilldren -though they've both recently turned veg.
I also buy my elderly cat the best fishy cat food -I reckon he costs more to feed than I do!
We all have choice.

forcing someone to follow your own choice - by emotional or anecdotal methods - is as misguided as me insisting that I've been eating meat all my life and I've been okay so everyone should do it.
A wise person once said that 'Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, It is asking others to live as one wishes to live'.

Some terrible bland tomatoes (and peppers) last night that ruined the meal.
I honestly don't know why I bother buying them.

Apparently it's because they're picked way too early, are a crossbreed that is more hardy (but tasteless) for transporting and are ripened with chemicals/gas.

The heirloom cultivar is supposed to be the best way to go, but I doubt there's any around here.

Some terrible bland tomatoes (and peppers) last night that ruined the meal.
I honestly don't know why I bother buying them.

Apparently it's because they're picked way too early, are a crossbreed that is more hardy (but tasteless) for transporting and are ripened with chemicals/gas.

The heirloom cultivar is supposed to be the best way to go, but I doubt there's any around here.
Grow your own? My Mum has a whole load of plants on the go at the moment.

He was some kind of nut who didn't like people having sex, so he thought that removing foods that keep people healthy would make them too weak and apathetic to even think about having sex. Strange man.
He stood out as a strange man even among the strange denizens of Central London.

Grow your own? My Mum has a whole load of plants on the go at the moment.
I wish I could, but have neither the room, sunshine or skill.
MrsF's mother grew some in their conservatory a few years ago. They were very good.

So this is a real story about a storm of controversy over a non-dairy cheese alternative winning an award.

After a vegan blue cheese won the Good Food Award, panicked dairy cheese makers forced the foundation to disqualify it​

Via Boing Boing

It comes from a company called Climax.

Now I don't know about you but I'm not putting the words Climax Cheese into my browser search.

Back