• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yeah - I think the problem with it has always been the deep, lingering doubt that perhaps it wasn't a fake. You see this still with the Turin Shroud in particular - no matter what tests are conducted, and results gleaned, there will still be those who believe it's the shroud of Christ. With the Voynich manuscript, there are those who believe it's a repository of "lost" or hidden knowledge, and no matter what anyone proves about it, in their minds that's what it will remain, like their own "questing beast".

...and it is very pretty.

I'm sure I'll find a gm hybrid in their if I look at enough online pages!

Kath

stu neville said:
Yeah - I think the problem with it has always been the deep, lingering doubt that perhaps it wasn't a fake. You see this still with the Turin Shroud in particular...
Don't think I'd accept it's the same phenomenon really: despite all the tests, experiments and analysis, the VM does appear to be of the period it is claimed to be of (Elizabethan), and had a clear provenance, so the fact that it hadn't been deciphered before now -assuming Rugg is right- didn't mean that it would never be deciphered into something meaningful and interesting.

Meanwhile every test the SoT has been subjected to has indicated that it simply cannot be what it is claimed to be. Under those circumstances, believing that the VM might be something interesting, is far less of a leap of faith than continuing to believe that the SoT is Christ's grave-wrapping despite the evidence to the contrary.

Of course, if people carry on insisting the VM is of ET origin, or a copy of texts from a super-ancient civ., once Rugg's analysis becomes better-known, then it will be the same phenomena as the SoT... :D

I was just using the TS as an example: you're right that it's probably a bad direct comparison. Basically, in the eyes of some researchers the VM has become an article of faith as much as the TS to some other researchers. Again you're dead right that the age etc was much better in the case of the VM, but there will always be those who believe that mainstream science is explaining away something special, of which I suppose we all accuse it to a degree with our own pet subjects :).

The VM and Kelley

If we admit that the VM was really made in elizabethan era and that Kelley actually fabricated it, some questions still remain:

Was it made with or without Dee’s direct help? Kelley used Dee’s library in Mortlake and Bohemia, without Dee’s permission, so, is it possible that Kelley had used Cardano’s books and notes to compose the VM?

Is the content of the VM mere gibberish? Is it possible that it contains some of the experiments with angels? Is it the infamous St. Dunstan book that Kelley had stolen form a grave before meet Dee?

Is it possible that, after have been “translated” using a Cardano’s grille, it was still in enochian?

Furthermore; by placing our own interpretations on meaningless gibberish we may yet learn something profound.

Oh, don't you just want to tell me to shut up? I even annoy myself.

MrHyde said:
Furthermore; by placing our own interpretations on meaningless gibberish we may yet learn something profound.
...and so is born yet another religion. :D

"Furthermore; by placing our own interpretations on meaningless gibberish we may yet learn something profound."

Or we could just sell books and make money.
See also Nostradamus under this heading...

:)

If you'r out to get money out of people with a hoax, the table & grille method of production seems an awfully labourious way of producing the script!!!:confused:

Well they didn't have pooters back then!;)

It'd have to appear complicated so as to look authentic.

How do we know for sure that the gibberish it turns out to be is simply an encoded message?
Personally I would feel disappointed if it did turn out to be gibberish as it was cool that some things couldn't ber known and that we knew what they were.

This theory doesn't have to stay a theory Escargot - it's potentially provable. If they used the same grille and table consistently then the relationship between the syllables in each word and their relative positions on the table is constant. When you see the same syllable in a different word it's only a question of wether it's an overlap with the same cell on the grid or wether it's a duplication in another cell. We don't know the positions of the holes in the grille relative to each other, but there are a finite number of combinations. It's a very complex mathematical problem but one that would yeild to raw processing power.

Even if it needed an insane amount of time to solve, eg the equivalent of a PC running constantly for a century, you could get around that by doing SETI style distributed processing, Voynich fans could download an application that runs in the background.

In truth I don't think it would take that long, given the limitations of the day I doubt that it's creators used a table that was really that big - they're going to be referencing it and writing alternately so it needs to be something small enough to sit on the table close to the scribe.

The only caveat that I can see with this approach is that you'd have to eliminate all of the 'erratic' words first, the ones that only appear once in the manuscript (eg the first word on each page in the 'botanical' section). Unless they were created by reserving certain cells in the grid for use once only (improbable) then they would have been introduced artistically and would have no place on the grid that you're reconstructing.

I can't believe I just thought that through - my brain hurts.

A couple of less mind numbing ruminations on the grid & grille theory:

It is consistent with the theory that the absence of corrections in the VM means that it is a copy, it just wasn't copied from a pre-existing manuscript as the originators of this theory thought.

The Voynich A & B dialects, which are associated with different scribes, could be consistent with two different grilles being used on the same grid.

Analysis of the VM has shown that it loosely obeys Zipf laws for word distribution in a natural language. This could be an accidental artifact of the way the scribes worked. My theory is that if the lettering in the grid was quite large to make all those funny characters clear, then the scribe might have been reaching across it to position the grille, and was therefore biased in favour of positions closer to him. The stupidly high frequency of some words could be down to the scribe getting lazy and moving the grille to the corner or row nearest him.

Blah.

it could be a puzzle book. like the ones we had back a couple of yrs ago. solve the clues and find the treasure
eg find the hare. (that sort of thing)

Do you have some easy on the brain web refs for the grid stuff BRF?

Kath

An article on the manuscript in this months ( July 2004 - Gene Doping cover feature ) Scientific American.

Havent read it properly yet, but the gist is manuscript = gibberish.

No, it was just a rumination I had that night, and quite possibly a brainfart at that.

Maybe you could piece it back together if you put enough work and processing time into it. But who'd want to?

Tangletwigs said:
An article on the manuscript in this months ( July 2004 - Gene Doping cover feature ) Scientific American.

Havent read it properly yet, but the gist is manuscript = gibberish.

I'll take the liberty of quoting it in full:

July 2004 issue

CRYPTOGRAPHY

The Mystery of the Voynich Manuscript

New analysis of a famously cryptic medieval document suggests that it contains nothing but gibberish

By Gordon Rugg

In 1912 Wilfrid Voynich, an American rare-book dealer, made the find of a lifetime in the library of a Jesuit college near Rome: a manuscript some 230 pages long, written in an unusual script and richly illustrated with bizarre images of plants, heavenly spheres and bathing women. Voynich immediately recognized the importance of his new acquisition. Although it superficially resembled the handbook of a medieval alchemist or herbalist, the manuscript appeared to be written entirely in code. Features in the illustrations, such as hairstyles, suggested that the book was produced sometime between 1470 and 1500, and a 17th-century letter accompanying the manuscript stated that it had been purchased by Rudolph II, the Holy Roman Emperor, in 1586. During the 1600s, at least two scholars apparently tried to decipher the manuscript, and then it disappeared for nearly 250 years until Voynich unearthed it.

Voynich asked the leading cryptographers of his day to decode the odd script, which did not match that of any known language. But despite 90 years of effort by some of the world's best code breakers, no one has been able to decipher Voynichese, as the script has become known. The nature and origin of the manuscript remain a mystery. The failure of the code-breaking attempts has raised the suspicion that there may not be any cipher to crack. Voynichese may contain no message at all, and the manuscript may simply be an elaborate hoax.

Critics of this hypothesis have argued that Voynichese is too complex to be nonsense. How could a medieval hoaxer produce 230 pages of script with so many subtle regularities in the structure and distribution of the words? But I have recently discovered that one can replicate many of the remarkable features of Voynichese using a simple coding tool that was available in the 16th century. The text generated by this technique looks much like Voynichese, but it is merely gibberish, with no hidden message. This finding does not prove that the Voynich manuscript is a hoax, but it does bolster the long-held theory that an English adventurer named Edward Kelley may have concocted the document to defraud Rudolph II. (The emperor reportedly paid a sum of 600 ducats--equivalent to about ,000 today--for the manuscript.)

Perhaps more important, I believe that the methods used in this analysis of the Voynich mystery can be applied to difficult questions in other areas. Tackling this hoary puzzle requires expertise in several fields, including cryptography, linguistics and medieval history. As a researcher into expert reasoning--the study of the processes used to solve complex problems--I saw my work on the Voynich manuscript as an informal test of an approach that could be used to identify new ways of tackling long-standing scientific questions. The key step is determining the strengths and weaknesses of the expertise in the relevant fields.

Baby God's Eye?

The first purported decryption of the Voynich manuscript came in 1921. William R. Newbold, a professor of philosophy at the University of Pennsylvania, claimed that each character in the Voynich script contained tiny pen strokes that could be seen only under magnification and that these strokes formed an ancient Greek shorthand. Based on his reading of the code, Newbold declared that the Voynich manuscript had been written by 13th-century philosopher-scientist Roger Bacon and described discoveries such as the invention of the microscope. Within a decade, however, critics debunked Newbold's solution by showing that the alleged microscopic features of the letters were actually natural cracks in the ink.

The Voynich manuscript appeared to be either an unusual code, an unknown language or a sophisticated hoax.

Newbold's attempt was just the start of a string of failures. In the 1940s amateur code breakers Joseph M. Feely and Leonell C. Strong used substitution ciphers that assigned Roman letters to the characters in Voynichese, but the purported translations made little sense. At the end of World War II the U.S. military cryptographers who cracked the Japanese Imperial Navy's codes passed some spare time tackling ciphertexts--encrypted texts--from antiquity. The team deciphered every one except the Voynich manuscript.

-------------------
In 1978 amateur philologist John Stojko claimed that the text was written in Ukrainian with the vowels removed, but his translation--which included sentences such as "Emptiness is that what Baby God's Eye is fighting for"--did not jibe with the manuscript's illustrations nor with Ukrainian history. In 1987 a physician named Leo Levitov asserted that the document had been produced by the Cathars, a heretical sect that flourished in medieval France, and was written in a pidgin composed of words from various languages. Levitov's translation, though, was at odds with the Cathars' well-documented theology.

Furthermore, all these schemes used mechanisms that allowed the same Voynichese word to be translated one way in one part of the manuscript and a different way in another part. For example, one step in Newbold's solution involved the deciphering of anagrams, which is notoriously imprecise: the anagram ADER, for instance, can be interpreted as READ, DARE or DEAR. Most scholars agree that all the attempted decodings of the Voynich manuscript are tainted by an unacceptable degree of ambiguity. Moreover, none of these methods could encode plaintext--that is, a readable message--into a ciphertext with the striking properties of Voynichese.

If the manuscript is not a code, could it be an unidentified language? Even though we cannot decipher the text, we know that it shows an extraordinary amount of regularity. For instance, the most common words often occur two or more times in a row. To represent the words, I will use the European Voynich Alphabet (EVA), a convention for transliterating the characters of Voynichese into Roman letters. An example from folio 78R of the manuscript reads: qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy. This degree of repetition is not found in any known language. Conversely, Voynichese contains very few phrases where two or three different words regularly occur together. These characteristics make it unlikely that Voynichese is a human language--it is simply too different from all other languages.

The third possibility is that the manuscript was a hoax devised for monetary gain or that it is some mad alchemist's meaningless ramblings. The linguistic complexity of the manuscript seems to argue against this theory. In addition to the repetition of words, there are numerous regularities in the internal structure of the words. The common syllable qo, for instance, occurs only at the start of words. The syllable chek may appear at the start of a word, but if it occurs in the same word as qo, then qo always comes before chek. The common syllable dy usually appears at the end of a word and occasionally at the start but never in the middle.

A simple "pick and mix" hoax that combines the syllables at random could not produce a text with so many regularities. Voynichese is also much more complex than anything found in pathological speech caused by brain damage or psychological disorders. Even if a mad alchemist did construct a grammar for an invented language and then spent years writing a script that employed this grammar, the resulting text would not share the various statistical features of the Voynich manuscript. For example, the word lengths of Voynichese form a binomial distribution--that is, the most common words have five or six characters, and the occurrence of words with greater or fewer characters falls off steeply from that peak in a symmetric bell curve. This kind of distribution is extremely unusual in a human language. In almost all human languages, the distribution of word lengths is broader and asymmetric, with a higher occurrence of relatively long words. It is very unlikely that the binomial distribution of Voynichese could have been a deliberate part of a hoax, because this statistical concept was not invented until centuries after the manuscript was written.

Expert Reasoning

In summary, the Voynich manuscript appeared to be either an extremely unusual code, a strange unknown language or a sophisticated hoax, and there was no obvious way to resolve the impasse. It so happened that my colleague Joanne Hyde and I were looking for just such a puzzle a few years ago. We had been developing a method for critically reevaluating the expertise and reasoning used in the investigation of difficult research problems. As a preliminary test, I applied this method to the research on the Voynich manuscript. I started by determining the types of expertise that had previously been applied to the problem.

----------------------
The assessment that the features of Voynichese are inconsistent with any human language was based on substantial relevant expertise from linguistics. This conclusion appeared sound, so I proceeded to the hoax hypothesis. Most people who have studied the Voynich manuscript agreed that Voynichese was too complex to be a hoax. I found, however, that this assessment was based on opinion rather than firm evidence. There is no body of expertise on how to mimic a long medieval ciphertext, because there are hardly any examples of such texts, let alone hoaxes of this genre.

Several researchers, such as Jorge Stolfi of the University of Campinas in Brazil, had wondered whether the Voynich manuscript was produced using random text-generation tables. These tables have cells that contain characters or syllables; the user selects a sequence of cells--perhaps by throwing dice--and combines them to form a word. This technique could generate some of the regularities within Voynichese words. Under Stolfi's method, the table's first column could contain prefix syllables, such as qo, that occur only at the start of words; the second column could contain midfixes (syllables appearing in the middle of words) such as chek, and the third column could contain suffix syllables such as y. Choosing a syllable from each column in sequence would produce words with the characteristic structure of Voynichese. Some of the cells might be empty, so that one could create words lacking a prefix, midfix or suffix.

English adventurer Edward Kelley may have concocted the document to defraud Rudolph II, the Holy Roman Emperor.

Other features of Voynichese, however, are not so easily reproduced. For instance, some characters are individually common but rarely occur next to each other. The characters transcribed as a, e and l are common, as is the combination al, but the combination el is very rare. This effect cannot be produced by randomly mixing characters from a table, so Stolfi and others rejected this approach. The key term here, though, is "randomly." To modern researchers, randomness is an invaluable concept. Yet it is a concept developed long after the manuscript was created. A medieval hoaxer probably would have used a different way of combining syllables that might not have been random in the strict statistical sense. I began to wonder whether some of the features of Voynichese might be side effects of a long-obsolete device.

The Cardan Grille

It looked as if the hoax hypothesis deserved further investigation. My next step was to attempt to produce a hoax document to see what side effects emerged. The first question was, Which techniques to use? The answer depended on the date when the manuscript was produced. Having worked in archaeology, a field in which dating artifacts is an important concern, I was wary of the general consensus among Voynich researchers that the manuscript was created before 1500. It was illustrated in the style of the late 1400s, but this attribute did not conclusively pin down the date of its origin; artistic works are often produced in the style of an earlier period, either innocently or to make the document look older. I therefore searched for a coding technique that was available during the widest possible range of origin dates--between 1470 and 1608.

A promising possibility was the Cardan grille, which was introduced by Italian mathematician Girolamo Cardano in 1550. It consists of a card with slots cut in it. When the grille is laid over an apparently innocuous text produced with another copy of the same card, the slots reveal the words of the hidden message. I realized that a Cardan grille with three slots could be used to select permutations of prefixes, midfixes and suffixes from a table to generate Voynichese-style words.

A typical page of the Voynich manuscript contains about 10 to 40 lines, each consisting of about eight to 12 words. Using the three-syllable model of Voynichese, a single table of 36 columns and 40 rows would contain enough syllables to produce an entire manuscript page with a single grille. The first column would list prefixes, the second midfixes and the third suffixes; the following columns would repeat that pattern. You can align the grille to the upper left corner of the table to create the first word of Voynichese and then move it three columns to the right to make the next word. Or you can move the grille to a column farther to the right or to a lower row. By successively positioning the grille over different parts of the table, you can create hundreds of Voynichese words. And the same table could then be used with a different grille to make the words of the next page.

-------------------------
I drew up three tables by hand, which took two or three hours per table. Each grille took two or three minutes to cut out. (I made about 10.) After that, I could generate text as fast as I could transcribe it. In all, I produced between 1,000 and 2,000 words this way.

I found that this method could easily reproduce most of the features of Voynichese. For example, you can ensure that some characters never occur together by carefully designing the tables and grilles. If successive grille slots are always on different rows, then the syllables in horizontally adjacent cells in the table will never occur together, even though they may be very common individually. The binomial distribution of word lengths can be generated by mixing short, medium-length and long syllables in the table. Another characteristic of Voynichese--that the first words in a line tend to be longer than later ones--can be reproduced simply by putting most of the longer syllables on the left side of the table.

The Cardan grille method therefore appears to be a mechanism by which the Voynich manuscript could have been created. My reconstructions suggest that one person could have produced the manuscript, including the illustrations, in just three or four months. But a crucial question remains: Does the manuscript contain only meaningless gibberish or a coded message?

I found two ways to employ the grilles and tables to encode and decode plaintext. The first was a substitution cipher that converted plaintext characters to midfix syllables that are then embedded within meaningless prefixes and suffixes using the method described above. The second encoding technique assigned a number to each plaintext character and then used these numbers to specify the placement of the Cardan grille on the table. Both techniques, however, produce scripts with much less repetition of words than Voynichese. This finding indicates that if the Cardan grille was indeed used to make the Voynich manuscript, the author was probably creating cleverly designed nonsense rather than a ciphertext. I found no evidence that the manuscript contains a coded message.

This absence of evidence does not prove that the manuscript was a hoax, but my work shows that the construction of a hoax as complex as the Voynich manuscript was indeed feasible. This explanation dovetails with several intriguing historical facts: Elizabethan scholar John Dee and his disreputable associate Edward Kelley visited the court of Rudolf II during the 1580s. Kelley was a notorious forger, mystic and alchemist who was familiar with Cardan grilles. Some experts on the Voynich manuscript have long suspected that Kelley was the author.

My undergraduate student Laura Aylward is currently investigating whether more complex statistical features of the manuscript can be reproduced using the Cardan grille technique. Answering this question will require producing large amounts of text using different table and grille layouts, so we are writing software to automate the method.

This study yielded valuable insights into the process of reexamining difficult problems to determine whether any possible solutions have been overlooked. A good example of such a problem is the question of what causes Alzheimer's disease. We plan to examine whether our approach could be used to reevaluate previous research into this brain disorder. Our questions will include: Have the investigators neglected any field of relevant expertise? Have the key assumptions been tested sufficiently? And are there subtle misunderstandings between the different disciplines that are involved in this work? If we can use this process to help Alzheimer's researchers find promising new directions, then a medieval manuscript that looks like an alchemist's handbook may actually prove to be a boon to modern medicine.

-----------------------------------------------------------
GORDON RUGG became interested in the Voynich manuscript about four years ago. At first he viewed it as merely an intriguing puzzle, but later he saw it as a test case for reexamining complex problems. He earned his Ph.D. in psychology at the University of Reading in 1987. Now a senior lecturer in the School of Computing and Mathematics at Keele University in England, Rugg is editor in chief of Expert Systems: The International Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Neural Networks. His research interests include the nature of expertise and the modeling of information, knowledge and beliefs.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MORE TO EXPLORE:

The Voynich Manuscript: An Elegant Enigma. Mary E. D'Imperio. Aegean Park Press, 1978.

The Queen's Conjuror: The Science and Magic of Dr Dee. Benjamin Woolley. Flamingo/HarperCollins, 2002.

The Voynich Manuscript: An Elegant Hoax? Gordon Rugg in Cryptologia, Vol. 28, No. 1; January 2004.

More information about the Voynich manuscript can be found on the Web at:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/cs/staff/g.rugg/voynich/
http://www.voynich.nu/
http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~stolfi/voynich/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/philipneal–vms

Link

Emps

Central Europe: Is 16th-Century Voynich Manuscript A Hoax?

By Askold Krushelnycky

The Voynich manuscript has consistently foiled powerful computers and some of the world's best cryptographers, who have never managed to decipher the 16th-century encoded book. But now, as RFE/RL reports, one scientist says the manuscript could be a sophisticated hoax.

Prague, 20 July 2004 (RFE/RL) -- In 1586, the Holy Roman emperor, Rudolf II, purchased a thick, cryptic manuscript that he believed held the secret to wealth and long life.

The book -- 230 pages filled with strange illustrations of plants, planets, and women, accompanied by text written in an undecipherable encoded language -- has come to be known as the Voynich manuscript. But neither Rudolf's scholars -- nor scores of subsequent researchers and code breakers -- was ever able to decipher the book.

Now, a British scientist has said he believes that one of the world's oldest riddles may actually be a hoax. Gordon Rugg is a lecturer at the school of computing and mathematics at Britain's Keele University. "It's possible that there is a code buried deep in there. But I think my main advance has been to show that there is a possible solution to the manuscript, where before the only possibility that looked real was some massively complex code which was centuries ahead of its time -- and that's not a very plausible solution," he said.

A far more plausible solution, according to Rugg, is that the manuscript held no secrets of prosperity or eternal youth -- but that it did earn its author a handsome profit equivalent to ,000.

The author, Rugg says, was a notorious English alchemist and fraudster named Edward Kelley. Among his many dubious achievements, Kelley created what remains one of the most elaborate artificial languages ever made -- a language he described as the tongue of the angels.

The British hoaxer was visiting royal courts in Central Europe at the time the Voynich manuscript was sold. Among the courts Kelley visited was Rudolf's, in what is now the Czech Republic. Rugg cannot prove it was Kelley who sold the manuscript to Rudolf. But he believes the fraudster's presence in the region was no coincidence.

"He was a famous fraudster -- he claimed to be able to transmute base metal into gold. He did it so effectively that he actually became a baron at one point, and was then discovered and put in jail. So he's a known criminal, a known confidence trickster, who's created a rich, elaborate language and who just happens to be at Rudolf's court at the point when the Voynich manuscript appears," Rugg said.

After Rudolf's scholars failed to crack the code, the manuscript disappeared from view for 250 years. It was rediscovered in a Rome library in 1912 by a rare-book collector, Wilfrid Voynich, and now is kept at Yale University. It has baffled computers, linguists, and military code breakers ever since.

Rugg, who holds a Ph.D. in psychology, said he first became drawn to the riddle of the Voynich manuscript because of his interest in developing innovative problem-solving methodologies. "I was interested in it for several reasons. One is it's a real solid mystery, it exists, there's no doubt about its existence, unlike ghosts or UFOs," he said. "You can touch it, you can see it. It's a mystery because there didn't seem to be any possible explanation for it. It appeared to be too complex to be a hoax, it appeared to be not a natural language because it contained too many features that no human language contains."

Rugg said other codes created at the same time as the Voynich manuscript were easily cracked by cryptographers who had spent World War II deciphering German and Japanese secret codes. But the Voynich text remained a mystery. The reason, Rugg eventually deduced, was because the code used in the text was composed of random letters arranged in a meaningless pattern.

Conducting research, Rugg discovered systems -- such as the so-called Cardan Grille, invented in 1550 by an Italian mathematician -- that could be used to create a text that looked like a code but bore no meaning. "In essence, I taught myself to [create] hoax medieval texts that looked as though they were cipher texts," he said. "And when I started doing that, I found it was surprisingly easy to produce very complex-looking language using 16th-century techniques very quickly."

Rugg said his method has not proved the Voynich manuscript is a hoax but has demonstrated that it could be. He hopes to apply his method of looking for new approaches to unsolved problems to a range of engineering and medical mysteries, including finding ways to deal with Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2004/7/0375A8FA-707F-4DA1-9D61-65D670B01550.html

New Wired.Com Article

Scientific Method Man
Gordon Rugg cracked the 400-year-old mystery of the Voynich manuscript. Next up: everything from Alzheimer's to the origins of the universe.
By Joseph D'AgnesePage 1 of 4 next »

Two years ago, an Englishman named Gordon Rugg slipped back in time. Night after night he spread his papers on the kitchen table once his children had gone to bed. Working on faux parchment with a steel-nibbed calligraphic pen, he scribbled a strange, unidentifiable, vaguely medieval script. Transliterated into the Roman alphabet, some of the words read: "qopchedy qokedydy qokoloky qokeedy qokedy shedy." As he wrote, he struggled to get inside the mind of the person who had first scrawled this incomprehensible text some 400 years ago.

By day, Rugg, a 48-year-old psychologist, teaches in the computer science department of Keele University, near Manchester, England. By night, as an intellectual exercise, he has been researching one of the world's great oddities: the Voynich manuscript, a hand-lettered book written in an unknown code that has frustrated cryptographers since its discovery in an Italian villa in 1912. How impregnable is the Voynich? During World War II, US Army code breakers - the guys who blew away Nazi ciphers - grappled with the manuscript in their spare time and came up empty. Since then, decoding the book's contents has become an obsession for geeks and puzzle nuts everywhere.

Then came Rugg. In three months, he cooked up the most persuasive explanation yet for the 234-page text: Sorry, folks, there is no code - it's a hoax! Lifelong Voynichologists were impressed with his reasoning and proofs, even if they were a little chagrined. "The Voynich is such a challenge," says Rugg, "such a social activity. But then along comes someone who says 'Oh, it's just a lot of meaningless gibberish.' It's as if we're all surfers, and the sea has dried up."

When the news of Rugg's breakthrough was published last winter, everyone missed the bigger story. Rugg cracked the Voynich not because he was smarter, but because he focused on what everyone else had missed. Then again, this came naturally to Rugg: He has made a career out of studying how experts acquire knowledge yet screw up nevertheless. In 1996, he and his colleagues developed a rigorous method for peering over the shoulders of experts - doctors, software engineers, pilots, physicists - watching how they work and think, testing their logic, and uncovering ways to help them solve problems.

Rugg calls it the verifier approach, and the Voynich was its first major test. If Rugg gets his way, verifiers will revolutionize the scientific method and help solve other seemingly unsolvable mysteries, such as the origins of the universe or the cause of Alzheimer's disease.

Rugg was hardly the first to dream of cracking the Voynich. Ever since the manuscript resurfaced - bookseller Wilfrid Voynich bought it from Italian Jesuits 92 years ago - a stream of formidable scholars have pored over it. Some make pilgrimages to Yale's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, where the volume resides. Others download JPEGs of the pages, which are available free on the Web.

Rugg saw something different and special about the manuscript: It would make a perfect beta test for the verifier approach. As he read about the Voynich and began applying his method - amassing knowledge about a problem and assessing the kinds of expertise applied so far are steps one and two - he saw that no one had seriously explored the idea that the book was a grand hoax. As Philip Neal, one of the world's leading Voynichologists, says, "It has been argued - I used to argue myself - that the phonetic structure was beyond the powers of a 16th-century forger to create, so that the text must be a real language or an unknown type of cipher."

Since none of the experts thought a hoax was plausible, no one had looked very hard for a hoax solution. To compound the problem, many Voynichologists were specialists: linguists, cryptographers, mathematicians, medievalists, and literary scholars. But the ideal Voynich expert - a code-breaking, medieval-savvy hoaxologist - probably didn't exist. And the resulting gap had allowed a major problem to go unsolved for the better part of a century.

This "expertise gap" is rife in academia, but few recognize it, let alone know how to correct for it. It starts with the best of intentions. Institutions want top-notch people, so they offer incentives to attract and groom experts. Young grad students learn early that if they want to carve out a niche, they must confine their interests to a narrow field. It's not enough to work in spinal cord regeneration; it must be stem cell-based solutions to the problem. That's great if a researcher just happens to stumble on a perfect stem cell cure. But as specialists get further from their core expertise, the possible solutions - what's been tried, what hasn't, what was never properly examined, what ought to be tried again - get even more elusive.

With the verifier approach, Rugg begins by asking experts to draw a mental map of their field. From there, he stitches together many maps to form an atlas of the universe of knowledge on the subject. "You look for an area of overlap that doesn't contain much detail," he says. "If it turns out there's an adjoining area which everyone thinks is someone else's territory, then that's a potential gap."

So here's Rugg, studying the Voynich on his own and asking himself: If I were living in the 16th century and wanted to make a book that looked mysterious but was really gibberish, how could I do it cheaply and easily? He deliberately searched for low tech tools capable of generating text that seemed random. In his reading, he came across an encoding device called the Cardan Grille, first described in 1550 by Girolamo Cardano. (See "How to Create an 'Indecipherable' Manuscript")

Using such an encoder, Rugg figures it would take a smart fraudster an hour or two to write an entire page. A Voynich-size book might take about three or four months to create with illustrations. The time and effort would definitely be worth it: In the Elizabethan era, Rudolph II, the Holy Roman emperor, became fascinated with the beautifully wrought manuscript (he believed it was the work of 13th-century philosopher Roger Bacon) and paid 600 gold ducats for it - about $30,000 today.

More at:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/rugg.html?pg=2&topic=rugg&topic_set=

I seems to recall experiments having been done with a grille, and found that it just isn´t systematic enough. That if it had been done with a grille, you would expect more repetitions of the letters.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/075285996X/
ref=pd_ir_b/026-6069862-9190813

Voynich Manuscript: The Unsolved Riddle of an Extraordinary 16th Century Book Which Even Today Defies Interpretation
Gerry Kennedy, Rob Churchill

I have heard that this book is a good overview of all the theories. Can anyone comment? I am more interested in how people have perceived it over time than in looking for a translation.

Or is there a site which lists all the ideas?

M

http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20050223-000004.html
The Voynich Solution

By: Kaja Perina
Summary: A highly regular word and sentence structure could translate into a hoax for an ancient manuscript.

The Voynich manuscript has flummoxed cryptographers since its discovery in an Italian villa in 1912. Is it an elaborate cipher, an alchemical sourcebook, a treatise on extinct civilizations or a document in ancient Ukrainian with the vowels omitted? The 234-page tract is laced with watercolors of plants, astronomical drawings and naked sylphs, but it is the language that truly confounds scholars. Voynichese symbols resemble no known alphabet, but the word and sentence structure is highly regular: Certain syllables and words occur together frequently.

Too frequently, according to Gordon Rugg, who suspected a hoax in part because words appear multiple times in one sentence -- a degree of repetition not found in any language. Rugg demonstrated that a simple 16th-century device, a card with slots cut into it, could have been used to perpetrate a hoax. Known as the Cardan Grille, the device is applied to a table of text, from which one selects among prefixes, infixes and suffixes. The syllables can be endlessly combined, Scrabble-like, to form new words. At the same time, a degree of linguistic regularity is guaranteed because the syllables are selected from a finite amount of text.

Rugg is nonchalant about this breakthrough: "Whether I showed that a hoax was possible or proved that this is a hoax is irrelevant," says Rugg. "I wanted to show that the Verifier method is a way of looking at a problem that had been written off prematurely."

Rugg may have cracked the cryptic Holy Grail, but he's devised a consolation prize: encoded text that he calls the Ricardus manuscript. It's available on his Web site: http://mcs.open.ac.uk/gr768/thingsinpro ... rdus.shtml.

My theory for Voynich manuscript

Looking at the scans of the manuscripts I can't stop thinking at the fake text web designer put in page template, wihch goes like :

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in

In fact, it means nothing but it is only there to help in page set up. I also notice that the text is pretty well justify for an hand written text. Anyone who have made any calligraphy could tell you how difficult it is to justify a text whitout breaking the spacing between letter.

My guess would be this manuscript is a first sketch of another (never released ? ) book. I am not an expert in ancient document but if someone could tell us if templates of books was done at the time of the manuscrit it could be interesting.

A nice thought - but I'm pretty certain that no one "Greeked" text in old manuscripts as a demo. Except the Greeks, of course. It was much too labour-intensive.

We seem to be as far as ever from a solution to this one. The linguistics boffins say it doesn't conform to any human language, so we fall back on the notion that it was an intended mystification. Yet it seems too earthy to me to be a grimoire. I've always resisted the idea it was an early example of obsessive, schizoid outsider-art. So far as I can gather, the first publication of a mad person's thoughts was the Air Loom of James Tilley Matthews in the early Nineteenth Century.

Whoever created and conserved the Voynich Manuscript appeared to value it in a way that does not reflect contemporary attitudes toward the insane. :?:

JamesWhitehead said:
A nice thought - but I'm pretty certain that no one "Greeked" text in old manuscripts as a demo. Except the Greeks, of course. It was much too labour-intensive.

I am not quite convinced it would be too much labour intensive. First why would this manuscript be composed/drawn by only one person ? Second, you can produce a huge amount of text once you are used to write with a pen. I cant see it as a major obstacle to do a demo.

Moreover I am not impress by the quality of the drawings (Or may be it is the quality of the scans ??? ). It is more to me like sketches...

i remember watching a bbc programme about it a few years ago.

One they they argued is that maybe this book has no real important element worthy of its hidden language. Which asks the question, why ist is encoded? One argument was that the study of herbs or something was not allowed in that time and place, for the programme seemed to suggest some monk may've written it.

The pictures I remember showed many types of plants, and in the programme they had some expert try and recognise the plants, but the pictures themselves are more artistic and difficult to apply to real life plants.

An article was actually in fortean times I think? Or maybe it was another magazine?

ouijaouija555 said:
One they they argued is that maybe this book has no real important element worthy of its hidden language. Which asks the question, why ist is encoded?

I think the problem resides in the assumption it is a meaningful document, it looks like a manuscript but is it ? Now imagine someone who does have great skills in drawing but would be analphabet (which was the case for most of the people at the time)... He could have produce something like this. When I was young (3 years old) I was writing text below my drawings but it was an unknown language to anyone else, still unknown as of now !

The BBC documentary referred to was first broadcast on BBC4 in 2002 and was directed by Lucy Sandys-Winsch:
here

and here

IIRC it strongly suggested that the antiquarian dealer Wilfrid Voynich, whose name has ever since adhered to the manuscript may have been its begetter. He had past form.

My own idle speculation would be that it looks like it could be an imperfect copy of a copy of a long-lost Mayan codex. As for all the ladies in the baths, they remind me that "stews" were brothels from Medieval times and into Shakespearean ones. :?

Morrigan~ said:
Voynich Manuscript: The Unsolved Riddle of an Extraordinary 16th Century Book Which Even Today Defies Interpretation
Gerry Kennedy, Rob Churchill - I have heard that this book is a good overview of all the theories. Can anyone comment?

Being a long time Voynich follower - I dabbled a bit with statistical analysis of the document, and I did a long search for similar documents - I can recommend the book. It's not sensationalist and pretty well researched. It's a very good introduction to the field - it gives a good sense of the frustrating quality of the VMS (as the "insiders" call it) - it looks like it's a piece of cake to crack - until you really try ...

And they cite me in the book 8)

The most current discussions about the VMS are archived here:
http://www.voynich.net/Arch/2005/09/threads.html

Back