• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Walking Dead

Finding a ship to hold up in would have been good unless these zombies can swim. Our heroes could have used a row boat from that to get supplies.

Still essentially a compound, just using the sea as the barrier rather than a fence. Also folk trying to escape to the sea has been done in Dawn of the Dead, (cops at the beginning) and the 2004 remake. Also the Zombi series have various plots involving zombies and boats - none work out terribly well as Zombies and boats don't mix.

Plot-wise none of the party in season one or two have any nautical experience and the nearest port is 3 and a half hours from Atlanta, also Georgia doesn't really have an small islands to flee to.

Also:

You'd need people who can run a ship and a ships engineer to fix things. Even if you are using a metal ship you've got to work on it all the time to maintain it and that costs resources and expertise. Just because you know how to steer a boat and plot a course does that mean you also know how to fix a mast or patch a hole in the hull?

Zombies can float and walk on the bottom of the ocean, so still pose a risk to those using the row boat.

You got to clear out the ship itself, a cruise-liner is going to be a bastard to clear out. Unlike the prison the reanimated passengers are still likely to be on board.

What about weather, storms or fire?

Many times our hero's needed medical supplies and raided a nearby pharmacist. How easy is that going to be out to sea?

If you are using a row boat the you are severely limited as to what you can bring on board. How are you going to get fuel and a decent-sized generator in a row boat for example?

Where are you going to get fresh water from? How are you going to grow your own food? In a land-based compound you have soil. On a ship you need to bring in soil using your rowboat.

What happens when the fuel runs out?

How do you maintain the hull/equipment from saltwater?

What about pirates? (A lot of folk will head out to sea, ok most will die but you'd expect some form of pirate activity)

The Navy/coastguard - trained yes but are they likely to be friendly when society breaks down?

Fear the Walking Dead - You might get your wish as there was a huge yacht at the end of series one. Will be interesting to see if it's used and how the survivors handle it.

Last edited:
I was gripped during the first season apart from the horse eating part, I was sort of interested in the prison episodes but as a George Romero, Greg Nicotero and Tom Savini Day of the Dead fan I could tell it was ripping off that compound concept. For, me so far, the later episodes, although they've had some juicy zombie kills play more like Star Trek : The Next Generation ... too many touchy feely talking scenes. I'm not sure how they're going to end this now, is it all going to be someone's dream ?.

I was the other way around, I found the series excruciatingly boring until the prison was breached, and then I was gripped. Ditching Frank Darabont was the best thing they did. The characters became more interesting the further it went on, Rick started out as a typical US TV series lead, dull but moral, then started to become in love with the idea of violence as his grand solution, made him more compelling when he could easily be a villain instead. Also, Greg Nicotero handles the effects in it, doesn't he? Not tremendously keen on CGI gore, but the makeup is very good.

Did anyone else spot the specs-wearing walker last night? o_O

That'd be me, that would. Can't see a THING without mine. I'd be stumbling round blindly, groping hungrily for something to eat.

Wait, that IS me, most mornings.

Now you mention it, how is bespectacled doctor girl (whatever her name is) going to keep up with her prescriptions in a world without opticians? No wonder she's reluctant to operate.

Now you mention it, how is bespectacled doctor girl (whatever her name is) going to keep up with her prescriptions in a world without opticians? No wonder she's reluctant to operate.

You be better off going for contacts. Once you know your strength they are pretty easy to find. Also less likely to get snagged when messing with the dead.

I don't think Rick turning nasty had much to do with those involved in the show. It's just what happens in the graphic novels.

Also, Greg Nicotero handles the effects in it, doesn't he? Not tremendously keen on CGI gore, but the makeup is very good.
Without checking, Greg's only officially an executive producer on The Walking Dead but there's no doubt in my mind that he's rolled his sleeves up at some point to muck in and advise with the practical make - up F/X side, he wouldn't be able to resist .... they used to be Bob Kurtzman, Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger when KNB F/X was created .. for whatever reason, Berger quit the company but they've still kept the KNB name ..

There resume is so large you actually have to download it although they first worked together as a trio officially on Evil Dead 2 ..

http://www.knbefxgroup.com/

Last edited:
You be better off going for contacts. Once you know your strength they are pretty easy to find. Also less likely to get snagged when messing with the dead.

I don't think Rick turning nasty had much to do with those involved in the show. It's just what happens in the graphic novels.

Re: specs, tell that to doctor girl, she's determined to rock that look to oblivion. And if (or when) her prescription changed, she'd still need to find new lenses, contact or otherwise. Tricky when no more are being made.

Re: Rick, he's still heroic and can-do, so they haven't gone the whole anti-hero hog yet. But he is more interesting now than he was at the beginning, so they were wise to keep that part.

Without checking, Greg's only officially an executive producer on The Walking Dead but there's no doubt in my mind that he's rolled his sleeves up at some point to muck in and advise with the practical make - up F/X side, he wouldn't be able to resist .... they used to be Bob Kurtzman, Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger when KNB F/X was created .. for whatever reason, Berger quit the company but they've still kept the KNB name ..

There resume is so large you actually have to download it although they first worked together as a trio officially on Evil Dead 2 ..

http://www.knbefxgroup.com/

Had a quick look on IMDB, Greg is credited with makeup effects throughout the series' run. Probably why it looks so effective.

Good return if a little silly in parts, (don't jump the shark).

who is your fav character?

Not the obvious ones mind.

Mine is Bob Stookey - horribly underused in the tv series, (also too young and black - he's not), but brilliant in the novels.

Loved that the stupid kid got it, and his mum, and the brother! Not sure how Carl survives a gunshot to the eye. It is all a bit too much how the main characters always seem to get saved at the last moment. There are some characters that are almost too prominent now that they can't be killed off. GoT is better in that sense in that you never feel anyone is safe. Still enjoying it though, eager for them to head to Washington though. They are getting closer but I fear it is probably still another series away.

Favourite character now is probably Glen, but I like Eugene as well.

My favourite characters are Carol, Michonne and Morgan. I think they represent an interesting contrast of reactions to the crisis and wouldn't mind an episode or two of just them squaring off (against each other or someone else).

Anyway, latest episode seemed to be culling the annoying characters as judged by the audience, child actors always get a raw deal in general opinions and it didn't get much rawer than that! Also seemed to be making up for the lack of action in some of the Alexandria eps by going way over the top with it.

12742785_10154541629595260_8965576864762730396_n.jpg

Well, that wasn't very Christian, was it Jesus? Also: ooh, sexytime! Lucky old Rick.

Great "uh-oh" moment at the end of this week's. I like how in something like 24 you get people killed all over the place and we're supposed to think fair enough, but in The Walking Dead the act of taking a life has real weight, especially with all that (walking) death around as a constant reminder. Seems more responsible for a popular TV show.

I've been watching Alicia Witt in S5 of Justified. I like her... oh as well.
She was the little girl at the end of David Lynch's Dune.

I've been watching Alicia Witt in S5 of Justified. I like her... oh as well.
She was the little girl at the end of David Lynch's Dune.

I always thought she was really scary in Dune, very self assured, it's a question of which was more disturbing, little Alicia or Sting's intergalactic underpants.

All Forteans will be appreciative of her starring role in Urban Legend, which dramatised a bunch of, er, urban legends.

I always thought she was really scary in Dune, very self assured, it's a question of which was more disturbing, little Alicia or Sting's intergalactic underpants.
The underpants, definitely.

Those underpants! Sting wears them playing his lute, or so i have heard...

I've heard he can play his underpants too.

Anyway, this week, boo, another good character gone, they never get rid of the tough guys, do they? Or if they do I've forgotten.

Cliffhanger-tastic this week. You just knew those guys were making a mistake messing with Carol. Great contrast with Morgan's big speech.

Sorry to say, I'm done with TWD. It's all about men shooting and maiming each other. Gone a bit cowboys and Indians.

Sorry to say, I'm done with TWD. It's all about men shooting and maiming each other. Gone a bit cowboys and Indians.
Wasn't it like that from day one?

Quite a lot of sci-fi and horror can be westerns by stealth, especially the apocalyptic stuff. The internet didn't like the season ending at all as far as I can see, and I agree there was too much talk and too little action, plus I didn't like what Morgan was forced to do to save Carol, went against his character (why couldn't the Knights of the Round Table have shown up thirty seconds before?). But I am interested to see the good guys claw their way back from a point of hopelessness, so I'll tune in in six months' time. It's still not as bad as it was in the first three seasons.

Thats what things are like Post-Apocalypse.

I am a bit depressed though that the survivors are more intent on wiping each other out rather than co-operating.

Quite a lot of sci-fi and horror can be westerns by stealth, especially the apocalyptic stuff. The internet didn't like the season ending at all as far as I can see, and I agree there was too much talk and too little action, plus I didn't like what Morgan was forced to do to save Carol, went against his character (why couldn't the Knights of the Round Table have shown up thirty seconds before?). But I am interested to see the good guys claw their way back from a point of hopelessness, so I'll tune in in six months' time. It's still not as bad as it was in the first three seasons.

I thought it was a pretty weak season finale. I liked the Race with the Devil theme though with the RV trying to escape only to bump into another group of fanatics.

Back