• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Way To Happiness

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The Way To Happiness

I've seen TV ads for this. One on the Sky News channel has the message 'Don't do anything illegal.' I thought it was a smartarse car ad, but it's not - it's part of a real campaign.

Dunno what it is, as i've looked carefully at the site but found no real background. I'll have a Google around when I can be arsed.

Ronson8 said:
Isn't it just the church of scientology repackaged?

I doubt it. The Church of Scientology does not have a moral code that I ever heard of - except maybe "Exploit your neighbour so you may pay what you owe our Church in administration fees".

NEVER MIND! I was wrong. I just found this on their website:

Written by L. Ron Hubbard, the book fills the moral vacuum in an increasingly materialistic society. This code of conduct contains 21 basic principles that guide one to a better quality of life.

Aha, trust a Canuckistani to read the small print. 8)

'Don't do anything illegal'

'Support a Government'.

Some of the manifold reasons people were so happy in germany under hitler.

EDIT: Frankly, I:

1)Don't look after myself
2)Drink alcohol and take harmful drugs
3)am promiscuous
4)Don't strictly set a good example
5)Do illegal things
6)am drastically incompetent ;)

But I'm happier than a lot of people I could mention ;)

I do not want their bland vision of happiness. John the Savage in brave new world demands the right to be unhappy, if Shakespeare comes with the bargain.

The videos are well made, and a nice shiney product, but without any seeming substance or wisdom behind them. Some people will be sold anything. Seeing as everyone's so lost in the world, I can see this being appealing in the way that getting (cult) religion or reading a simple self-help book, or dieting, or whatever is. Spiritual comfort food.

That said, hoovering your house gets you all the chicks, though (see 'be industrious'). Must try that.

Ronson8 said:
Isn't it just the church of scientology repackaged?
"Written by L. Ron Hubbard, the booklet fills the moral vacuum of an increasingly materialistic society"

They rely on the vacuum between some people's ears, that's for sure.

H_James said:

That said, hoovering your house gets you all the chicks, though (see 'be industrious'). Must try that.
Personal hygiene has always been cool with most 'chicks.' You can look unkempt, if you must, but, for one thing, 'chicks' have a much more highly developed sense of smell. ;)

;) thanks mum. And no, I don't use the word 'chicks' in common parlance, it was just the implication of the video.

There is certainly a difference between happiness and pleasure.
It's possible to have plenty of pleasure with little happiness.

That's the curse of materialism: the more you have of what you want, the less satisfied you are. ;)

The fact remains this is the "moral" branch of Scientology, which has always been criticized for being a "me first", amoral "religion". This aspect of Hubbard's teachings are used as a wedge to get the paying customers in.

Yup, s'all very ironic, innit. :lol:

escargot1 said:
There is certainly a difference between happiness and pleasure.
It's possible to have plenty of pleasure with little happiness.

That's the curse of materialism: the more you have of what you want, the less satisfied you are. ;)

This is true wisdom! :)

The way to happiness?

Finding a job that didn't make me redundant every 4 years would be a good start.

Mythopoeika said:
The way to happiness?

Finding a job that didn't make me redundant every 4 years would be a good start.

You coulds set up your own religion...it worked for L. Ron Hubbard. :twisted:

Back