• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

The case has now been heard and the mothers sentenced:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 86,00.html

Women laughed as they forced toddlers to take part in 'dog fight'

· Mother and relatives shot video and shouted abuse
· 'Cruel and callous' quartet get suspended sentences

Steven Morris
Saturday April 21, 2007
The Guardian

A mother and her three daughters who forced two toddlers to take part in a "dog fight" and filmed it walked free from court yesterday.

The women, including the children's mother, goaded the tearful brother and sister to punch each other and even use a magazine and hairbrush as weapons. When the boy, who was in a nappy, stopped fighting they called him a "wimp" and "bloody faggot".

Passing sentence at Plymouth crown court, Judge Francis Gilbert said the video taken of the fight was "shocking".

He said: "You laughed at them, you mocked them, you swore at them. You compelled them to hit each other even though they clearly did not want to. You were cruel, callous, clearly causing the children to hurt each other for your own pleasure."

He singled out the children's grandmother, who had told police that she saw nothing wrong with what they had done as it would "toughen them up".

But the judge was persuaded not to jail them immediately, instead giving the four a one-year suspended sentence and ordering them to do 100 hours of community work.

The court was told how the mother of the children, Zara Care, 21, and her sisters, Serenza Olver, 29, and Danielle Olver, 19, had met at the home of their mother, Carole Olver, 48.

They formed a circle in the living room around the children, a three-year-old girl and a boy of two, and urged them to fight while Zara Care capturing the whole episode on video.

In the film up to six adults, including a man, are seen chatting and smoking. As the two children run around the room, one of the women can be heard to say to them, "Do you want to play?' before pushing the boy towards the girl.

The children start circling and slapping each other - goaded by four women, who can be seen and heard laughing.

The boy, who is wearing just a nappy and a T-shirt, is then floored by a blow from his sister and lies on the floor crying.

After clambering on to an armchair to escape, he buries his head under a cushion but a woman in the room tells him: "Get up - don't be a wimp all your life."

He staggers to his feet and punches his sister in the mouth, and, as she falls to the ground, is encouraged to kick her.

A female voice says: "And again, whilst she's down, boot her."

He then tries to leave the room but an older child blocks his path and the girl again runs over and pummels his back with her fists.

The boy is then told by a female voice: "Get up and punch her, you bloody faggot."

He tries to refuse, but then grabs a large black hairbrush and begins to beat his sister, while a woman is heard to say: "He needs weapons, she just has a fist."

The girl is caught in the mouth by the brush and begins to scream and lifts her arm in the air, appealing for help from an unseen adult - but is turned away.

At this point, an older child in the room can be heard to say: "Is it our turn yet?" The film ends with the two toddlers screaming and crying, and an adult saying: "That's enough."

During the video the women hurl a stream of orders, such as "jump on him", "kick her" and "hit his face".

The word "punch" is heard more than 20 times. The video came to light after the children's father, a serving soldier, returned from Iraq and decided to show his parents footage from the video camera the women used.

He had expected it to feature the children playing but he was horrified to come upon the eight-minute film of them fighting.

David Gittins, prosecuting, said that the father compared what he saw to a "dog fight" and was reduced to tears. He subsequently went to social services, who called in police.

The children's grandmother, a mother of eight, showed no remorse when she was interviewed, insisting it would "harden" them up, it was stated.

The judge criticised her for still seeming defiant. The three other defendants wept as the offence was described.

Defending the women, who admitted child cruelty offences, Rupert Taylor said they were not wicked.

The three daughters had never been in trouble with the police before. But they were ill-educated, had few advantages in life, and did not realise what they were doing was abhorrent.

Mr Taylor said that although they had treated the infants so badly, family was important for them and they were all very close. "They are ashamed and frightened," he said.

The judge said the "horror" of what they did meant it was tempting to jail them.

But the judge added that he took into account the fact that two of the women, Serenza and Danielle, had children of their own to look after - and also said that Zara's biggest punishment was that her children had been taken out of her care and were now being looked after by other relatives.

Backstory

Zara Care, 21

Separated from her husband, father of the children, by sending him a text message. Had what was described in court as a desperately sad childhood. Suffered bullying and contemplated killing herself. Resigned to never getting back her children, who are being cared for by her estranged husband's family.

Carole Olver, 49

Grandmother of the children. A mother of eight. Court was told she had suffered at hands of a violent partner and spent her life protecting her children from him. Had no other achievements, apart from her large and, usually, reasonably happy family.

Serenza Olver, 29

Has two children of school age. Had attempted to kill herself over failed relationships. Said to be terrified that her own children could still be taken away by social services.

Danielle Olver, 19

The woman who put a stop to the fight. Has a year-old child herself. Described as having no educational achievements and not having had a meaningful job.

I won't quote the whole of the above, but...

There really is no hope, is there? A truly shocking tale.

There may be a more appropriate thread for this but if so can't find it.

US mother 'kept son in cupboard'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8281533.stm

LaRhonda McCall has been arrested on suspicion of child abuse
A mother accused of abusing her teenage son frequently kept him tied up and locked in a bedroom cupboard, police in the US state of Oklahoma have said.

The case came to light on Friday when the 14-year-old told police he had escaped from a home where he had spent most of the past four years locked up.

LaRhonda McCall, 37, and Steve Vern Hamilton are in custody accused of 20 counts each of child abuse and neglect.

An Oklahoma City police officer said investigations were continuing.

The police were alerted after the boy walked up to a national security guard base in Oklahoma City and said he wanted to report being abused, Associated Press news agency reported on Monday.

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

Sgt Gary Knight: 'He had scars over the majority of his body'
"He was hungry. He was dirty. He had numerous scars on his body. It was very sad," police Sgt Gary Knight is quoted as saying.

The teenager was taken to hospital to be examined and is being looked after by the authorities, AP reports.

Sgt Knight said investigators had no reason to doubt the teenager's account that he had spent most of the time locked up since moving to the area with his mother from New Jersey four-and-a-half years ago.

The boy told the police the scars on his torso were a result of being beaten, hit with an extension cord and having alcohol poured on to his body and set alight, AP said.

Both Ms McCall and Mr Hamilton are being held in custody, with bail set at $400,000 (£251,000), the authorities said.

Woman obsessed with computer game left children to eat cold baked beans
A mother who became so obsessed with a computer game that she left her children to eat cold baked beans from the tin has been given a suspended jail sentence and banned from using computers.
Published: 7:00AM BST 13 Sep 2010

The woman also allowed her German Shepherd and lurcher dogs to starve to death and left them rotting in the dining room for two months as she played Small World on the internet almost non-stop. :shock:

After a neighbour peered through the letterbox and saw the appalling conditions, the NSPCC were told and police officers entered the home and saw the decay and filth.

The children had been given no hot food and were forced to eat cold baked beans from the tin without any spoons.

The 33-year-old widow, who cannot be identified, admitted three charges of child cruelty and two of animal neglect.

Maidstone Crown Court was told the children, aged nine, 10 and 13, were badly neglected for six months.

Deepak Kapur, prosecuting, said when officers arrived at the house in Swanley, Kent, in February the woman told them it was in a bit of a mess.

They then saw rubbish strewn all over the floor in all rooms, mouldy food and a swarm of flies. The toilet was in a disgusting state.

The woman tried to block officers from entering the dining room and when asked why she replied: "All right, my dogs are in there. They are dead. I killed them.
"I probably starved them, probably because I have been playing the computer game all the time."

Mr Kapur said: "Police discovered the bodies of the dogs. Flies were around them. The smell was so overpowering, making the officers retch."

The mother had become hooked on the computer game featuring dwarves and giants and in which players vie for conquest and control of a world that is simply too small to accommodate them all, after an invitation from a friend on Facebook.

She started playing initially for an hour a day in late 2009 but since August of that year it had become an obsession to the point where she was only getting two hours sleep a night, said Mr Kapur.

She then began to feed her children only on foods that did not need cooking such as pot noodles, sandwiches, chips and pies.

Allan Compton, defending, said the woman had been a devoted and competent mother until tragedy struck some years ago with the death of her husband from a heart attack.

"She retreated into this virtual world provided by her laptop computer," he said.
"She shut herself off from the outside world and operated in the real world on a very basic level."

The mother was sentenced to six months imprisonment suspended for two years and ordered to do 75 hours unpaid work. She was banned from keeping animals.

Judge Jeremy Carey told her: "I am satisfied you have been a good mother but your life went very badly wrong when you became obsessed with the Small World computer game."

Judge Carey banned the woman from having any internet access "to assist you to resist the temptation to return to this virtual world."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... beans.html

I know I've played some games almost non-stop, but...damn!
This woman has no excuse. :x

I had a look at this game. The graphics look nice, but I couldn't see anything that would get me that obsessed that I'd let my dogs die and neglect my kids (if I had any).

WTF!!!

WTF is right. She sounds extremely mentally ill. I hope she gets the help she needs, but I feel really bad for the kids. It's amazing it got to that point, with the dogs rotting in the dining room. So sad.

I play an online game - Runescape - have done for years, and I just can't understand how it could take over from other stuff around, y'know, domestic stuff. And trust me, I have an addictive personality. I think that this woman must have displayed some other obsessive behaviour, but that this is the aspect that the papers have picked up on.

Family charged over 'child cages'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11404496

Five family members have been charged with child cruelty after allegedly keeping two young children in makeshift cages at their home.

The grandfather, grandmother and three aunts were arrested in Glasgow after it was reported that a nine-year-old girl they cared for failed to return home from school.

The Crown Office confirmed that four women and a man had appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with cruel and unnatural treatment. They made no plea or declaration and were granted bail.

It is understood that police investigating the disappearance of the young girl visited a house in the Cardonald area of Glasgow and found converted baby cots allegedly used to keep the girl and an eight-year-old boy in.

A Strathclyde police spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that four women aged 18, 32, 32, and a 52-year-old and a 53-year-old man were arrested and detained in police custody on Friday 17 September in connection with section 12 of the Childrens and Young Persons Act."

Police discover five children 'hidden from society in squalid home and raised without schooling or healthcare'
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:36 AM on 30th November 2010

Five children who were raised hidden from society in a squalid house with no heat, electricity or running water have been found by police.
Officers in York, Pennsylvania, are now asking how and why the parents of the children - ranging in age from two to 13 - managed to conceal them for so long.

Louann Bowers, 33, and Sinhue Johnson, 45, have been charged with five counts of child endangerment and are scheduled to appear in court for an arraignment hearing on Friday.

They were arrested after police, acting on an anonymous tip-off, tracked down their children, who police said had no birth certificates, no schooling, no immunisations or evidence of medical care - nothing whatsoever to prove their existence.
Detective Dana Ward Jr said: 'I don't know what would possess them at all.'

Bowers' lawyer Ronald Gross said his client has waived her right to attend Friday's court hearing.
He said she ran away from 'a very chaotic household' when she was 16 and 'didn't want to be found'.
He added: 'I think, unfortunately, Mom's desire to not be found by her family impacted the children's growth.
'She realises now, "I should have done it differently."'

Years of isolation have taken their toll on the siblings.
Now living in foster homes, 'some of the children suffer health and vision issues,' Detectuve Ward wrote in an affidavit.
'None of the children are at their expected education levels, and there are possible mental health issues.'

Since their discovery, the children have been vaccinated and the older ones have been enrolled in school.

York County Children and Youth Services became aware of the family through anonymous tip-offs in 2003 and again in 2007, but police said Johnson refused to cooperate with caseworkers.
The agency got another anonymous referral in 2009, this time from someone claiming to be a family member who had seen the children. The agency contacted Johnson again, but he remained uncooperative, court documents state.
That led caseworkers to obtain a court order granting them permission to enter the family's dilapidated house on South Duke Street. By the time they arrived, the family had fled.

Detective Ward said it appeared that all seven family members had lived in a single room on the second floor. He said all the utilities were shut off, while rainwater came through the leaky roof and was collected in buckets.
Police tracked the family to a nearby hotel. Johnson was gone, but Bowers opened the door, her head concealed by a dark veil.
The detective said he found the children hiding in a bathroom, three girls and two boys. They hadn't bathed and appeared unkempt. They left with investigators without saying a word - and refused to provide any information.
Detective Ward said: 'They did say that they were not permitted to talk about the family or the living conditions.'

The lack of cooperation from either the children or Johnson and Bowers has stymied investigators' efforts to learn more about the family's circumstances.
The fact that almost no one knew about the children is even more puzzling because of the urban setting in which they lived. Neighbours said they never saw them, not even once.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z16lTEjES6

Toddler treated for alcoholism
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 64302.html

LONDON – A child aged three has been treated for alcoholism by staff at an English hospital.

The toddler, thought to be Britain’s youngest alcoholic, was among 13 children aged 12 and under who were diagnosed as alcoholics by the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust between 2008 and 2010.

Figures released under the Freedom of Information Act showed the trust admitted more than 70 children aged 13 to 16 for emergency treatment for alcohol abuse.

The trust said a further 106 13- to 16-year-olds were treated for addiction to alcohol in the same period.

Managers declined to give details of the toddler’s condition. – (PA)

Y'no...I want to be appalled, outraged and indignant, that a child so young could obviously be subjected to such abuse. But actually, I'm not in the least bit surprised.

Man who sent stepson to bed in straitjacket jailed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-12763327

Straitjacket The straitjacket was bought over the internet, the court heard

A picture of a straitjacket and restraints a man used to tie his 11-year-old stepson to his bed has been released.

The man, 39, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was jailed for three-and-a-half years after admitting child cruelty earlier this week.

The boy's treatment was described as "horrific" and "grotesque" at Doncaster Crown Court.

His mother was jailed for two years for failing to stop the abuse.

A picture of the restraints was released by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The court was told the man thought the restraints would help his stepson sleep as he wrongly believed he was suffering from autism, prosecutors said.

The boy was also made to sleep in a surgical neck collar.

The court heard that the stepfather had an interest in bondage gear, but police could find no evidence of a sexual element to his treatment of the boy.

He bought the straitjacket over the internet but made some of the other equipment in his own workshop, the court was told.

WARNING! DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE ANGERED/UPSET CONCERNING REPORTS OF CHILD ABUSE

'He looked like a concentration camp victim': Parents accused of child neglect after emaciated toddler is found in motel

A shocked police chief has lashed out at a couple who he says treated their toddler son 'like a concentration camp victim'.
Investigators found a two-year-old boy so emaciated that he weighed just 15lbs.
His body was covered with faeces and bed sores and his toenails were so long medical experts said they had not been cut since he was born.

:nooo: :_omg: :shock: :cry: :wtf:

Why didnt they give the poor child over to the grandparents/foster carers, if they couldn't cope?????

If the boy does survive he's going to have serious mental health problems later on in life.

(please move if necessary)

In the cases of child abuse, I am completely and totally sure there are other things at play which make the abuse obvious...
But I often seen *looking like a concentration camp victim* as a description of the state of the child, followed by some weight figure. Sometimes this is pretty much the only thing cited as "abuse".

Usually, except in some of the more extreme examples, the weight figure isn`t shocking to me and alone would not lead me to suspect abuse at all.
The most recent one is not much less than my son weighed at 2. I`ve seen some reports of 4 or 5 year olds only weighing *gasp* 25lbs. My son is going on 7, and weighs 28lbs.

(No, he is not malnourished, abused, or unhealthy. He also does not look anything like a concentration camp victim!)

There's also some subjectivity when saying a child is abused. Many years ago, when I was qualifying to work with children, we were all instructed to watch out for signs of abuse and neglect. Some of the things cited as examples of neglect were a child dressed inappropriately for the weather. I often came across children 'dressed inappropriately, however, in a family of three kids, single mum on benefits, it was often just an issue of waiting for next child benefit payment for a child to get the winter coat/boots whatever. Most definitely not neglect, but an issue of financial ability.

Difficult to say, it's near impossible to ascertain if someone really doesn;t have the money, or if they had it but spent it on booze or drugs rather than buying clothes for their kids.

Probably you'd get the same answer from both if you asked them.

The straitjacket story is odd, not that it's any surprise to me, for the sort of stuff i've heard of, but it's quite unusual to get busts for a lot of the more extreme stuff, and a lot of busts are happening. Maybe the police have got tighter, or the paedos are getting thicker or more reckless, or people that wouldn;t normally use that MO are going at their kids instead of something else.

Really I don;t know.

Facebook inspires Israeli couple to name baby 'Like'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13417930

Facebook page Like's parents said her name was both modern and unusual

Related Stories

* The unintended consequences of Facebook
* Facebook hits 500m user milestone
* Facebook funds a £20,000 wedding

An Israeli couple have named their baby daughter Like, taking inspiration from the Facebook social networking site, Israeli media say.

Lior Adler and his wife Vardit said they were looking for a name that was "modern and innovative".

Facebook allows users to "like" their friends' statuses, pictures and posts.

Like Adler's father said originality was a key factor in the choice and said he had checked no-one else in Israel had the same name.

"In our opinion it's the modern equivalent of the name Ahava [Love]," he said, according to Israeli newspaper Maariv.

"It's just my way of saying to my fantastic daughter, 'Love'."

According to the Haaretz newspaper, the most popular names for girls in Israel currently are Noa, Maya and Tamar.

Like, however, will not be alone within her family with her unusual name.

Both parents enjoy cooking and named one of their daughters Pie - using the English word for the name - and Dvash, Hebrew for Honey, according to Maariv.

Like's father said that when he announced her arrival on Facebook she was very popular.

"When I posted her picture and name on Facebook I got 40 'likes'," he told the newspaper.

"Considering that I have only a little more than 100 friends on the network that's a lot."

To call a child Like, like, is like, a bit, like, chavlike, innit?

Facebook inspires Israeli couple to name baby 'Like'...

Oh, that's not new. I've got a friend called Like. He's got a cousin called Asif. Who lives in Simla.

I'll get me coat, shall I?

Simla? Just oop road from Metafor?

Know it well

Some of the claims around this story just put me in mind of the idea that non-English speaking, or less well educated, people naming their children "Nosmo King" or "Chlamydia".

Indian girl 'sold for sex' by her father in Kerala
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/13904670
By Ashraf Padanna
Kochi, Kerala

A 17-year-old Indian girl who was allegedly forced by her father to have sex for money with up to 200 men has described her ordeal to the media.

Police in the southern Indian state of Kerala arrested her father and 29 other people two weeks ago.

The girl said she was raped by her father, starved and forced by him to have sex with other men.

Her father has not made any public comment. Police have vowed to hunt down the men alleged to have paid for sex.

They have despatched special police teams to find up to 70 men she has named and accused of paying to have sex with her. These are said to include contractors, film producers and policemen.

"My father first raped me when my mum was not home. Later he started taking me out to different locations, saying I'll get a chance to act in movies," the girl told a local television channel.

She says that when her mother found out, her father threatened to kill the entire family unless her mother kept silent. Police have arrested the mother for not disclosing a crime.

"The government will not allow anyone to escape the law," Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said.

The girl was finally rescued when other relatives discovered what was going on and informed the police. She is currently in a shelter where she is undergoing treatment for depression, police say.

"We will do whatever we can to bring her back to normal life. She wants to complete schooling and lead a good life," said Dr MK Muneer, the minister for social welfare in the provincial government.

"She says she was raped by 200 men. It is shocking and it freezes your conscience," he said.

I found this jaw-dropping... I'm not suggesting that his parents should have just smiled indulgently, but how on earth is wrecking your son's life over what was ultimately a stupid prank gone wrong "the right thing to do"?

Stupid woman.

Cornish student who stole family yacht jailed after mother presses charges

Annabel Sloley says decision to report son Oliver for joyride in £10,000 yacht was horrible, 'but you have to do what is right'

Oliver Sloley had to be towed back to Newlyn harbour in Cornwall after his costly joyride in the family yacht. Photograph: Matt Cardy/Getty Images
A student who stole his family's £10,000 yacht and needed to be rescued by a lifeboat crew has been jailed for nine months after his mother reported him to police.

Oliver Sloley, 22, and a friend got into difficulty off the coast of Cornwall in the nine-metre (30ft) vessel. Lifeboat crews found him after he fired a flare and he was towed to shore, where he faced the wrath of his mother.

Sloley, who was in his second year studying geology at Plymouth University, was jailed for nine months at Truro crown court after admitting taking the yacht without consent and a string of other charges.

Speaking after his conviction, Sloley's mother, Annabel, 47, of Penzance, Cornwall, said she felt duty-bound to go to the police but described the decision to do so as "horrible". "That's the only way I can describe it, absolute hell," she said. "It's not what you want as a parent but have to do what you feel is right.

"It's not even the fact it was my boat, it was the fact the lifeboat crew got involved and spent three hours searching for them when they should be saving people's lives who have got in difficulty through no fault of their own."

Mrs Sloley was away for the weekend when her son took the boat from its moorings at Restronguet, near Falmouth, south Cornwall, last August despite the engine being faulty.

Sloley and the friend – neither of whom had any sailing experience or lifejackets – managed to sail several miles along the coast and navigate around the treacherous Lizard peninsula. They got into a difficulty a few hours later and called for help but were unable to read their global positioning system and tell rescuers where they were.

A lifeboat located them when they fired a flare and the yacht was towed back into Newlyn harbour. The boat, which had been in the family for seven years, was in a state of disrepair at the time and has now been sold.

Mrs Sloley added: "The Lizard is not a place to play. Had someone fallen in it could have been very different. I was not in Cornwall at the time and it was quite a shock to be told your son has stolen your boat and had to be rescued.

"I know it was August, the sun was shining and the wind may have died down but there is no excuse. Taking him to court was very difficult. It was horrible, but I am of the mind that once my mind is made up then that's it."

Asked about her relationship with her son, she added: "We are fine about it. It's been dragging on for 14 months so we've got used to it. We will be fine. He has accepted he was in the wrong and that's it as far as we're concerned. I told him 'sorry mate, but I'm going to have to report this'. He accepted it, what else could he do?"

When the boat was brought ashore two stolen outboards and two fuel tanks were found on board, for which he pleaded guilty to two counts of receiving stolen goods. He also admitted stealing two cheques from his mother and making off without payment for food and drink from four pubs in Cornwall.

Philip Lee, prosecuting, told Monday's hearing: "The last thing Mrs Sloley wanted to do was to see her son prosecuted, but as a sensible mother she felt it right to make a complaint."

Joss Ticehurst, defending, said: "He has wasted his future to a very great extent."

Sentencing him, Judge Christopher Elwen said: "For some reason best known to yourself you decided to wreck your life, and possibly your prospects for the future. The most serious thing you did was to take your mother's boat to sea without her permission and as a result of your inexperience the Penlee lifeboat had to be launched and you had to be rescued."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/1 ... mily-yacht

From todays Daily Telegraph:

Italian mother taken to court for mollycoddling son.

By Nick Squires, Rome

Italian mothers are notorious for mollycoddling their sons but one woman's overly-protective attitude has landed her with a prison sentence.

Francesco Montecchi, a child psychologist has said 'Excessive care is a serious form of abuse, which has very serious consequences for the psychological and physical development of children'.

The woman has been accused of smothering her son to such a degree that her treatment of him amounted to abuse.

He was not allowed to mix with other children, barely did any physical exercise and had his school lunch cut up into tiny mouth-sized morsels.

The woman, named only as Elisa in order to protect the child's privacy, was taken to court by her estranged husband – the boy's father – for psychological abuse and physical mistreatment.

The couple had split a few months after the child was born and she went to live with her parents in Ferrara in northern Italy.

The high-profile case, an extreme example of the Italian phenomenon of "mammoni" or "mummy's boys", has laboured through the tortuously slow Italian court system since 2004.

The boy, named in court documents as Luca, was then aged seven but is now 14.

The country's highest appeals court has now upheld a lower court's conviction of his mother for "aggravated ill-treatment" and sentenced her to a prison term of one year and four months.

The Court of Cassation in Rome also upheld a sentence of the same length for the boy's grandfather, named as Gigetto.

The court ruled that the boy's mother and grandfather had repeatedly ignored the warnings of teachers, social workers and psychologists that their overly-protective behaviour was damaging the child's mental and physical growth.

They had "blocked" contact from the outside world and had locked him away at home, not allowing him to attend school until he was six.

Andrea Marzola, a lawyer representing the child, said his mother and grandparents had cocooned the boy to such an extent that he was not allowed to play sport and had the "motor skills of a three-year-old".

Heinrich Stowe, the lawyer representing the father, said the Cassation Court had set an important precedent for similar cases by recognising that child abuse need not necessarily involve physical violence.

Despite the Cassation Court upholding the sentences the mother and grandfather are unlikely to serve any time behind bars – in Italy sentences of up to three years for a first offence are generally suspended – and the child will continue to live with them, to the bitter disappointment of his father.

Francesco Montecchi, a child psychologist, said the problem of overly-pampered children deserved more attention.

"Excessive care is a serious form of abuse, which has very serious consequences for the psychological and physical development of children.

Many of these children develop serious psychiatric problems and they are totally maladjusted," he told the Ansa news agency.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... g-son.html

Israeli-Arab couple charged with imprisoning daughter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16830372

Baraa Melhem said she was first locked up after she ran away from home
The Israeli authorities have charged an Israeli-Arab couple with imprisoning their daughter for nine years at their home in the West Bank town of Qalqilya.

According to an indictment, Baraa Melhem had been locked in a bathroom or other small rooms since the age of 11.

She was only let out at night to clean the house, do laundry and cook.

Her father, Hassan, and stepmother are accused of abusing a minor, unwarranted imprisonment and attempting to pressure a person to take their own life.

Mr Melhem was arrested by Palestinian security forces in Qalqilya and handed over to the Israeli authorities, while his wife was arrested in Israel.

'Deplorable' condition
According to the indictment filed at Petah Tikva District Court on Tuesday, Ms Melhem was imprisoned between the ages of 11 and 20.

She was forced to sleep on a blanket with no mattress and was let out of her locked room only to help with the housework.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

I don't hate my father. But I hate what he did to me. Why did he do it? I don't understand”

Baraa Melhem
She was also beaten by her father, and told by both him and her stepmother that it would be better if she killed herself, according to the indictment.

Ms Melhem was rescued by Palestinian police on 21 January after an aunt notified them. A police spokesman said she was in a "deplorable" condition.

Hala Shreim, a social worker who accompanied police on the rescue, said Ms Melhem was found in the bathroom, which had a tiny window, wrapped in a blanket and wearing clothes so old that they were disintegrating.

She is now living with her mother, Maysoun, in the West Bank. She divorced Mr Melhem when their daughter was four, and told social workers he made up excuses about why Ms Melhem was never around.

"I have joy now. My life has begun," Ms Melhem told the Associated Press two days after her release. "I don't hate my father. But I hate what he did to me. Why did he do it? I don't understand."

Ms Melhem said she was first locked up in a bathroom after she ran away from home when she was 10. Police brought her home, and her father forced her to sign a statement saying she did not want to go to school.

She said her father had threatened to rape her until she became pregnant if she tried to escape, and that he would then have used the pregnancy to accuse her of shaming the family and justify killing her.

He regularly beat her with electric cables and sticks, and poured cold water on her when she asked for her mother, she added.

Ms Melhem said she was given bread, oil and an apple every day, and kept sane by listening to a small radio that she was allowed to keep.

She added that her half-brother and half-sister, who were mentally disabled and not sent to school, were also not allowed to leave the house when their father was not home, although their conditions were better.

Thankfully, I've never experienced anything as awful as what has been discussed so far. However, while working at a playgroup in a fairly poor/rough area, I have seen how some parents, for one reason or another, just don't seem to show much care to their kids.

We looked after children from 6 weeks to 5 years. Many of them were loved and well cared for, but some were hardly cared for at all.

One young woman kept having kids. I'm not against someone having kids if they are able to care well for them but this young woman clearly couldn't cope. Some of her older children had been taken into care and the little girl who I worked with was bounced from foster home and back to her mum every few months. The poor little girl always had very ill fitting, often dirty clothes. Sometimes no shoes at all. And her hair was matted. This wasn't uncommon.

When she was in foster care she was clean and everyone who worked at the playgroup felt at ease, but as soon as she went back to mum, we all dreaded what was happening to her. She found it hard to mix with other kids as she hadn't been taught to speak and her development was way behind the others. When we had one on one time with her she came on leaps and bounds, but then, she'd go back with her mum and a few weeks later she'd be back to grunting and sitting alone. We had quite a lot of stories like this over the few years I worked there.

The thing is, these "big" stories that we read about, are the tip of the iceberg. A parent being unable to cope and letting things slip happens so often.

The good news for that little girl is that her Grandma got involved and helped with her care.

Glad people reacted against this.

Indian school girl 'forced to beg' over poor grades
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-17523789
By Habib Beary
Bangalore

The man (left) was taken to a police station by an angry crowd

Police in the southern Indian city of Mysore have arrested a wealthy man for allegedly making his daughter beg as a punishment for poor school grades.

The man, named only as Prakash, was arrested under the juvenile misuse act after the girl was seen begging outside a temple in her convent school uniform.

He says he did not physically punish her but wanted her to see "how tough life is without proper education".

The 12-year-old girl has been placed in a government child-welfare centre.

When asked by passersby why she was begging, she pointed to her father who was sitting nearby in his car.

An angry crowd gathered and took the man to a nearby police station.

Mysore's deputy commissioner of police, Basvaraj Malagatti, quoted the man as saying: "I have not beaten her or punished her physically.

"I just wanted her to realise how tough life is without proper education."

cherrybomb said:
Thankfully, I've never experienced anything as awful as what has been discussed so far. However, while working at a playgroup in a fairly poor/rough area, I have seen how some parents, for one reason or another, just don't seem to show much care to their kids.

The maternal response isn't guaranteed. My first wife never related to our child (possibly because she was unconsious at the actual birth, due to some mistiming of the medication - it was a long labour). She had no maternal feelings at all and initially had to be convinced that this particular baby was actually our child. This was directly responsible for our breakup - she simply couldn't understand why she was expected to look after this strange being while I was out at work. (I looked after him when home).

Being brought up RC, she continued to have children after we seperated, with no better results. I only know this because she continued to use my surname for a while, my real world surname being quite rare. I've also had subsequent boyfriends looking for her having been through a similar experience. I haven't seen her since 1985. Nor, sadly, has my son, and it's a problem for him - I'm sure he'd subscribe to the title of this thread.

In Tom Rolt's autobiography, he describes a somewhat similar adverse reaction from his mother, who after a difficult birth couldn't bear the sight of him until he was able to communicate rationally. I forget what actual age without digging out the book, but we are talking school age.

In those days, however, you could get a nurse to do the job - if you were well off, anyway.

Edit: - in fairness to my first wife, she was one of these forcibly adopted Irish children born to an unmarried mother and made to feel second-rate in her adopted home because of her origin - hardly the way to produce a balanced outlook toward family life. I never fell out with her, life together just became impossible for reasons too lengthy to go into here, but I'd still hope she managed to eventually make a happy life somewhere.

Sorry to hear that, Cochise. I hope your son is getting on ok?

I have no real maternal instinct, so for me, having kids isn't something I've ever really wanted, and it hasn't happened, but I'm sure I would struggle if I'd had a child. A member of my family had really bad postnatal depression, after her first child was born. I remember her telling me that when she gave birth she just looked at the new baby and thought "you've caused me this much pain, and now I've got to look after this blue screaming thing." She had a great deal of help and is now fine, but I can see where she's coming from, in a way. She was also raised RC and I don't think that helped any, when it came to that sort of issue, IMHO.

As I said working with kids in one thing, being on call 24/7 for a toddler is very different.

Back