• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Three Knocks

Nah, I'd stay and let t'spooks do their worst.

Haven't been haunted for a long time now - I think I scare'em off.

Maybe someone thinks he's a security officer in a van and wants to pass some bags of dosh? Ho ho!!!!

Quixote said:
It's been a while since I read it, but in Peter Moss' Ghosts Over Britain, there was one story where a young woman who was experiencing *paranormal* goings-on in her flat/house, heard and/or was woken by knocking next to her headboard at night.

Thinking this was her flatmate in the next room, she knocked back. The next noise she heard was IIRC something apparently like a mechanical digger trying to very noisily claw/scrape thru the wall[?]. I can't remember the rest of the activity that was meant to have happened but I think that she did leave the property in a midnight dash.

As you would do too.

I have that book and that's pretty much what happened, but as they made their mad dash to the front door, the lightbulb in the hall went out, leaving them panicking in the darkness! Great story.

GNC said:
I have that book and that's pretty much what happened, but as they made their mad dash to the front door, the lightbulb in the hall went out, leaving them panicking in the darkness! Great story.

Ah! cheers GNC :) I think I last read it when I was an early teen but I read it that often as a little kid I can still clearly see the illustrations and photos in my mind's eye. Fantastic book, I must get around to buying a new copy.

This reminds me of reading about an attempt to contact aliens by transmitting the knocking pattern "Knock knock-knock knock knock...", to which the reply would be "Knock! Knock!", completing the pattern. Apparently it's irresistible.
Only to toons. Ref: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

If I heard mysterious knockings in my house, I'd definitely knock back.

However, I'd keep in mind a local news story from a couple of years back.
A bloke heard an owl hooting one night so, as a bloke might do, he hooted back.
The owl replied in kind and there followed a sort of owl conversation.

Most nights for some weeks, there was 'owl talk', either inititiated or responded to by our man. He and his wife were delighted at his new-found empathy with wild birdlife.

One day, the wife got talking to another woman who lived a few streets away, whose husband had been out in the garden one night making owl-calls (for some obscure reason) and, guess what, a REAL owl had responded.
He'd been 'talking' to the other owl several times a week ever since......... :lol:

I remember reading in a Whitley Strieber novel (Transformations iirc) about an instance of three knocks. Although it might have been a series of three sets of three. Either way, he attributed it to those little skinny grey fellers.

Probe-tastic mate....... :shock:

Mysterious knockings in your house can often be the result of; your kids, noisy neighbours, pet dog or cat scratching causing banging on the floor, pipes and numerous other things.

sundog said:
This reminds me of reading about an attempt to contact aliens by transmitting the knocking pattern "Knock knock-knock knock knock...", to which the reply would be "Knock! Knock!", completing the pattern. Apparently it's irresistible.
Only to toons. Ref: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

Shave and-a hair cut.. Two bits!

PaZZa said:
Mysterious knockings in your house can often be the result of; your kids, noisy neighbours, pet dog or cat scratching causing banging on the floor, pipes and numerous other things.

I agree there could be many reasons but when the knocks happen on a regular basis and mainly on windows not just in my house but in other houses amonst other friends, and even in a taxi car!!... it seems rather odd.

Orion_111 said:
PaZZa said:

I agree there could be many reasons but when the knocks happen on a regular basis and mainly on windows not just in my house but in other houses amonst other friends, and even in a taxi car!!... it seems rather odd.

Id put knocking on multiple windows down to kids playing tricks, upstairs windows down to kids throwing small stones, taxi window the same.

PaZZa said:
Orion_111 said:
PaZZa said:

Id put knocking on multiple windows down to kids playing tricks, upstairs windows down to kids throwing small stones, taxi window the same.

Is it the same kids following me around then lol? In taxis and other mates houses! How do they know exactly where im gonna be or going to? Why always the same three knocks? They cant be throwing small stones 3 times! They are loud knocks! not stones in my eyes. Its definately not kids! One other thing my bedroom window is high they would need ladders!! and every time i look there is no one there or even around! Its no kids it cant be anyone let alone kids!

escargot said:
However, I'd keep in mind a local news story from a couple of years back.
A bloke heard an owl hooting one night so, as a bloke might do, he hooted back.
The owl replied in kind and there followed a sort of owl conversation.

Most nights for some weeks, there was 'owl talk', either inititiated or responded to by our man. He and his wife were delighted at his new-found empathy with wild birdlife.

One day, the wife got talking to another woman who lived a few streets away, whose husband had been out in the garden one night making owl-calls (for some obscure reason) and, guess what, a REAL owl had responded.
He'd been 'talking' to the other owl several times a week ever since......... :lol:

I remember reading this in FT a couple of years ago - I was tickled by it! Wasn't you wot sent it in, wozzit...? ;)

No, I didn't send it in to FT, although it happened close to where I live. It happened a good while before FT reported it.

What made me laugh most at the time was that I was out with the BF and dogs one night and he heard an owl calling and started expertly showing me, as blokes do, how to make an owl sound.......

Immediate collapse of mollusc party. :rofl:

I believe that there are some things which blokes 'do', and making owl noises is one of them. Sort of primal.

Another is surrendering to the overwhelming urge to deny that they've ever made an owl sound. :lol:

escargot said:
Another is surrendering to the overwhelming urge to deny that they've ever made an owl sound. :lol:
I have never made an owl sound, as far as I can remember...

not with my mouth, anyhow.... :oops:

Maybe they like to knock so they can stand behind us and watch us write about the knocking on message boards and laugh. :D

RainyOcean said:
Maybe they like to knock so they can stand behind us and watch us write about the knocking on message boards and laugh. :D

:shock: .... :D

Three bangs

Something odd is possibly happening here right now.

About half an hour ago I heard three bangs on the only window here where I keep the curtains closed. It happened again about 5 minutes later, and again a little later still. This made me nervous - I suspected kids or other trouble-makers (access is easier after the gardeners hacked down a lot of the vegetation, and my flat is ground floor), and looked up the number of a local antisocial behaviour alert line.

I got my camera, and went to the outside door. This is some distance from my window, but I hoped I might see what was going on and perhaps get a pic of the culprits. But all was quiet.

Not long after, a vehicle turned up - I thought it might be the police, if someone else had reported trouble, but it was an ambulance. I let the crew in, and they went up to a first-floor flat.

The ambulance has just left. I didn't see if they took anyone with them.

This could all be coincidence or misperception. I'll keep you informed.

I too have heard the 'three knocks' which is a well known phenomena, I believe? The first time was in an old cottage I shared with a boyfriend. We heard three strong knocks on the frosted glass panel of the front door. We were sitting by the window with a view of the door and could see no one was there. It was reputed to be haunted by a woman who commited suicide in the 1930's.

The second one was on the door of a sleeping-in room of an Edwardian house converted into a Care Home. I heard it twice and during a team meeting it came out that three other staff members had been woken up by the same three distinct knocks. We had all immediately rushed to the door and looked down an empty corridor. It was a real reverberating 'knock on wood' sound, definately not the central heating pipes!

Hypermetropia said:
I too have heard the 'three knocks' which is a well known phenomena, I believe?
Yes, which is why I posted here.

But I understand it usually relates to a death in the family - and nobody here is related to me.

Maybe tomorrow will reveal more...

At least you didnt have to go through the whole im deaf routine with it.

rynner2 said:
Hypermetropia said:
I too have heard the 'three knocks' which is a well known phenomena, I believe?
Yes, which is why I posted here.

But I understand it usually relates to a death in the family - and nobody here is related to me.

Maybe tomorrow will reveal more...

I realise you understand the significance of the knocking, I was looking for confirmation that this is well known. I only have a vague recollection of some mention of it here on the Message Board, some years ago. It rings a bell that it plays a part in Irish folklore. The violence used to create the very loud knocks (at the so-called haunted cottage), was a manifestation of great distress, I feel.

It is well known, and we do have a dedicated thread, here.

Up to Ryn if he wants it merged now or later, once the new one's gained some momentum.

Back