• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slipping

I think missing (or gained) time is a separate (though somewhat related) phenomenon to time slips. The trouble is that it is extremely common, and whereas a substantial variation in time passed might indeed be significant, there are a lot of tales of people who "normally take 10 minutes and today took 20 minutes to complete the journey" which obviously dilutes the power of the sample, if you are going to include all cases. So I just restrict my interest to definite time slips, i.e. where witnesses report visions of, leading to interactions with, different time periods.

I completely agree that these are two distinct categories of anomalous experience.

Personally, I tend to separate the two this way ...

A "time slip" (as the label is most commonly used) involves a single place or space experienced in two different timeframes (e.g., "now" versus a century ago).

Time dilation or compression involves a shift in the perception of time's passage rather than the timeframe per se (i.e., it's all "now", but the reference clock seems to have slowed or speeded up).

I completely agree that these are two distinct categories of anomalous experience.

A "time slip" (as the label is most commonly used) involves a single place or space experienced in two different timeframes (e.g., "now" versus a century ago).

Time dilation or compression involves a shift in the perception of time's passage rather than the timeframe per se (i.e., it's all "now", but the reference clock seems to have slowed or speeded up).
Yes, that sums it up perfectly. The real problems occur when dealing with cases that seem to involve other elements or dimensions.

Carl:

Since you've studied time slips so extensively, and while we're on the subject ...

(1) What proportion (if any ... ) of the time slip (being "elsewhen") cases you've examined also involve time compression / dilation from the perspective of "he / she who slips"?

(2) Do any such reported compression / dilation effects pertain to the "slipper's" own subjective sense of time passing throughout the duration of the slip experience?

I added question (2) because it's conceivable a slipper subjectively perceived an hour had passed "elsewhen" but this hour may not have passed for others back in the original / base timeframe.

It strikes me that such a cross-timeframe mismatch doesn't constitute a time compression / dilation event for the slipper him- / herself - at least not in the same sense as a slipper's own perception of faster / slower time flow.

Carl:

Since you've studied time slips so extensively, and while we're on the subject ...

(1) What proportion (if any ... ) of the time slip (being "elsewhen") cases you've examined also involve time compression / dilation from the perspective of "he / she who slips"?

(2) Do any such reported compression / dilation effects pertain to the "slipper's" own subjective sense of time passing throughout the duration of the slip experience?

I added question (2) because it's conceivable a slipper subjectively perceived an hour had passed "elsewhen" but this hour may not have passed for others back in the original / base timeframe.

It strikes me that such a cross-timeframe mismatch doesn't constitute a time compression / dilation event for the slipper him- / herself - at least not in the same sense as a slipper's own perception of faster / slower time flow.
In the great majority of cases the witness's perception of the time spent elsewhen matches the time elapsed back in the present. There are a few cases where some time is apparently lost, and I have guessed that maybe there is some kind of fail-safe mechanism at work stopping the witness arriving back before he left. I can think of only one case where the witness did see himself, although I can't lay my hands on it at the moment -- it was in Australia, the witness and his girl friend were at a public toilet. She went in and he decided to walk through nearby woods. He spent about 10 minutes there and wandered back, leaving the trees slightly farther away. As he glanced over he saw himself just about to enter the woods. He returned to the toilet where his girlfriend was surprised as he had only just left her. Presumably he had gone back in time, so this would be a time gained situation..

I have now managed to get copies of all Gay Baldwin's Isle of Wight ghost books, and I'm glad I did as there are some quite extraordinary cases in them. One that stands out is the review in Book 4 of events at a Ryde restaurant, the Prince Consort. There are pages of fairly conventional haunting experiences, then suddenly something totally off the scale. Very briefly, on Easter Sunday 1992, at least eight witnesses saw three odd individuals enter the restaurant. The landlady, Nikki, had been trying to research the history of the place and had been having visions of a man named Harry, who she felt was one of the ghosts. When the three strangers walked in around 10.40 pm, she recognised one as identical with her image of Harry. The three were wearing very old fashioned clothes and their speech was anachronistic. Harry asked, "Landlady, I would like a drink." He bought the drinks [but nothing said about how he paid, if he did so immediately] and took them to the other two, one a thin rat faced man with yellow skin, who kept sniggering, and the other a pretty lady. The DJ said that the first man (Harry) introduced himself as "Barrington-Styles". (He also thought there may have been a 4th man.) He said that his brother had once lived there. He also said he had known a previous manager and wanted to be taken to the room with no windows, where he had died. Nikki's husband took him (and his pint of beer) up to a small caretaker's room on the roof, where he looked inside and said this was not the place. Many of the customers felt that the three were not right in some way, and didn't want to make eye contact with them. They left and the landlord followed them out, but when he got outside there was no sign of them.

Quite a puzzle. Ghosts solid enough to drink beer? Or a time slip to their future? Some very clever method actors playing a prank?

In the great majority of cases the witness's perception of the time spent elsewhen matches the time elapsed back in the present. There are a few cases where some time is apparently lost, and I have guessed that maybe there is some kind of fail-safe mechanism at work stopping the witness arriving back before he left. I can think of only one case where the witness did see himself, although I can't lay my hands on it at the moment -- it was in Australia, the witness and his girl friend were at a public toilet. She went in and he decided to walk through nearby woods. He spent about 10 minutes there and wandered back, leaving the trees slightly farther away. As he glanced over he saw himself just about to enter the woods. He returned to the toilet where his girlfriend was surprised as he had only just left her. Presumably he had gone back in time, so this would be a time gained situation..
Just found a link to this case -- a bit more complex than my summary:

https://spacetimeslip.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/a-double-through-the-woods/

I’ve been having a look at this website. https://spacetimeslip.wordpress.com/posts-spacetime-slip-accounts/page/1/
The following story is very unusual.

The Bus

Kahren submitted the following Back to the Past spacetime slip. Her mother, Doris, born in 1922, was the shocked experiencer in the mid-century 1900’s. (See original entry at http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.com/)
My mother’s ‘displacement’ experience happened as she was traveling on the top deck of a double-decker bus in London in around the 1950s. (We are Swedish, but lived in London).
As she was sitting there, she became aware of suddenly being out in the open, and she looked around to see that she was on the top deck of an 1800s horse-drawn double-decker omnibus. She said she froze in shock.
The streets and everything around her had changed to what looked like early pre-Victorian times,
screen-shot-2018-03-19-at-2-52-20-pm.png
and everyone was dressed in long dresses and frock coats. She panicked and tried to speak the the other women sitting up there with her, but she said they didn’t answer her and she wasn’t sure if they could see her.
It only lasted a few minutes, and then she was back where she belonged. She had never heard of anything like that, and in fact none of us had, until I decided to do a search on it the other night.
Mum was wide awake and alert, and definitely not given to flights of fancy. She only told a couple of people, naturally Dad was one, and then me.’
I’ve never come across one like this before. I suppose the closes is a London Underground one. But I’d blame the tunnels. She’s lucky busses are a lot bigger than the old omnibus. What would have happened if she’d fallen out of the back?
It does make you wonder if time slips are a persecution thing. They happen in the mind/s of those experiencing them. I do wonder the same about ghosts too.

I’ve been having a look at this website. https://spacetimeslip.wordpress.com/posts-spacetime-slip-accounts/page/1/
The following story is very unusual.

The Bus

Kahren submitted the following Back to the Past spacetime slip. Her mother, Doris, born in 1922, was the shocked experiencer in the mid-century 1900’s. (See original entry at http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.com/)
My mother’s ‘displacement’ experience happened as she was traveling on the top deck of a double-decker bus in London in around the 1950s. (We are Swedish, but lived in London).
As she was sitting there, she became aware of suddenly being out in the open, and she looked around to see that she was on the top deck of an 1800s horse-drawn double-decker omnibus. She said she froze in shock.
The streets and everything around her had changed to what looked like early pre-Victorian times,
screen-shot-2018-03-19-at-2-52-20-pm.png
and everyone was dressed in long dresses and frock coats. She panicked and tried to speak the the other women sitting up there with her, but she said they didn’t answer her and she wasn’t sure if they could see her.

It only lasted a few minutes, and then she was back where she belonged. She had never heard of anything like that, and in fact none of us had, until I decided to do a search on it the other night.
Mum was wide awake and alert, and definitely not given to flights of fancy. She only told a couple of people, naturally Dad was one, and then me.’
I’ve never come across one like this before. I suppose the closes is a London Underground one. But I’d blame the tunnels. She’s lucky busses are a lot bigger than the old omnibus. What would have happened if she’d fallen out of the back?
It does make you wonder if time slips are a persecution thing. They happen in the mind/s of those experiencing them. I do wonder the same about ghosts too.

That sounds like what I'd call a brain fart.

It's a second hand report, so not a lot of detail. Spacetime Slips does a good service in finding cases in odd places and presents them very well, using original material rather than summarising and adding dramatic touches.
Unless you're a historical expert you're not likely to use the correct terminology for Victorian clothing.

Loads of intriguing questions are raised. Including the glimpse of a man in blue overalls just before the 'time jump' - apparently these, like fog, are a common leitmotif in some time slip stories, too...

Interesting, although I will say that we've discussed quite a number of Time Slip reports in the main Time or Dimensional Slips thread, and this motif does not appear to have been mentioned in any of them.

I wouldn't rate it the most important case ever but some people (and I include myself) are fairly laid back about such things. I would have saved the thermos, though, through interest, but I wouldn't perhaps have regarded it as a massive experience.

I think that to a degree I would probably agree. Us on here, of the mindset to want evidence and answers, might. But everyday folk probably wouldn't. They may even have been skeptical of the notion that this old woman *was* a previous owner. As a workman you might well hold on to something given to in case you needed to return it or on the chance that somebody might come to reclaim it. But you wouldn't keep it forever. Time moves on. You'd probably chuck it eventually.

I would likewise agree with that. The latter is very much centralised on one or more person's perception of time passing. Time Slips generally involve persons or objects from one time period turning up in another one, in a fashion which cannot be readily explained.

Both are definitely laden with Fortean possibilities, but the term should not be considered interchangeable in what they cover.

and then theres the simpler case of an old person with a level of confusion, brewing up rather badly for some friendly workmen at the church house

Which is also perfectly possible, too.

I have now managed to get copies of all Gay Baldwin's Isle of Wight ghost books, and I'm glad I did as there are some quite extraordinary cases in them. One that stands out is the review in Book 4 of events at a Ryde restaurant, the Prince Consort. There are pages of fairly conventional haunting experiences, then suddenly something totally off the scale. Very briefly, on Easter Sunday 1992, at least eight witnesses saw three odd individuals enter the restaurant. The landlady, Nikki, had been trying to research the history of the place and had been having visions of a man named Harry, who she felt was one of the ghosts. When the three strangers walked in around 10.40 pm, she recognised one as identical with her image of Harry. The three were wearing very old fashioned clothes and their speech was anachronistic. Harry asked, "Landlady, I would like a drink." He bought the drinks [but nothing said about how he paid, if he did so immediately] and took them to the other two, one a thin rat faced man with yellow skin, who kept sniggering, and the other a pretty lady. The DJ said that the first man (Harry) introduced himself as "Barrington-Styles". (He also thought there may have been a 4th man.) He said that his brother had once lived there. He also said he had known a previous manager and wanted to be taken to the room with no windows, where he had died. Nikki's husband took him (and his pint of beer) up to a small caretaker's room on the roof, where he looked inside and said this was not the place. Many of the customers felt that the three were not right in some way, and didn't want to make eye contact with them. They left and the landlord followed them out, but when he got outside there was no sign of them.

Quite a puzzle. Ghosts solid enough to drink beer? Or a time slip to their future? Some very clever method actors playing a prank?

That one strikes me far more as a ghost story. And I say that for one key detail in the narrative. 'Harry' asks to be taken up to the room where he had died.

This element of self-awareness over his death is what would largely invalidate this as a true Time Slip. Because if we were to accept that this really was Harry, a figure from the past straying accidentally into the present, then he would not *be* aware of his own passing. Unless he was simply a bit of a nihilistic fellow. But but it seems less likely.

Interesting, although I will say that we've discussed quite a number of Time Slip reports in the main Time or Dimensional Slips thread, and this motif does not appear to have been mentioned in any of them.

I think that to a degree I would probably agree. Us on here, of the mindset to want evidence and answers, might. But everyday folk probably wouldn't. They may even have been skeptical of the notion that this old woman *was* a previous owner. As a workman you might well hold on to something given to in case you needed to return it or on the chance that somebody might come to reclaim it. But you wouldn't keep it forever. Time moves on. You'd probably chuck it eventually.

I would likewise agree with that. The latter is very much centralised on one or more person's perception of time passing. Time Slips generally involve persons or objects from one time period turning up in another one, in a fashion which cannot be readily explained.

Both are definitely laden with Fortean possibilities, but the term should not be considered interchangeable in what they cover.

That one strikes me far more as a ghost story. And I say that for one key detail in the narrative. 'Harry' asks to be taken up to the room where he had died.

This element of self-awareness over his death is what would largely invalidate this as a true Time Slip. Because if we were to accept that this really was Harry, a figure from the past straying accidentally into the present, then he would not *be* aware of his own passing. Unless he was simply a bit of a nihilistic fellow. But but it seems less likely.

Just to clarify, I don't think it was suggested that Harry was aware of his own passing (which would obviously be in his future), he was just saying that he had known a previous manager there and wanted to see where the manager had died -- not where he himself had died.

Incidentally Gay's latest book, Ghosts of Knighton Gorges, has just come out, and a lot of strange things happen, not on the original site of the house in question but around the gateposts, that were not destroyed when it was demolished. Some of the events could be time slips and a number of witnesses exhibit very severe physical reactions, as did some of those at Rougham.

Just to clarify, I don't think it was suggested that Harry was aware of his own passing (which would obviously be in his future), he was just saying that he had known a previous manager there and wanted to see where the manager had died -- not where he himself had died.

Definitely worth clarifying then. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

Definitely worth clarifying then. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.
Easily done, it is a very complex and unusual case. There seems to be no doubt that Gay is correct that the Isle of Wight is a major location for all manner of odd phenomena. I have gone through all her books and I would guess that maybe 20-odd incidents described therein would qualify as time slips rather than hauntings. However different ghosts and time slips seem to be, the fact that a lot of things happen in that relatively small island seems to point to some common causative mechanism. It might as well be earth energy as anything else. But exactly how these things happen, that's the puzzle!

It was in Australia, the witness and his girl friend were at a public toilet. She went in and he decided to walk through nearby woods. He spent about 10 minutes there and wandered back, leaving the trees slightly farther away. As he glanced over he saw himself just about to enter the woods.

Ten minutes is a VERY long time for a pee. If she didn't need to queue, she would be done and out in a couple of minutes, which leads me to think that his perception of time lapsed may be faulty. Which leads me further to think that some kind of 'Brain Fart' took place (maybe a minor seizure or 'daydream'?). Because otherwise his girlfriend would have been wandering about looking for him for ages.

He returned to the toilet where his girlfriend was surprised as he had only just left her. Presumably he had gone back in time, so this would be a time gained situation..

So did his girlfriend not actually go in to the toilet? If she went in, then he returned to the toilet and she was surprised to see him, presumably she must already have 'been'? In which case he hadn't 'just left her' and they had been apart for a perfectly normal amount of time. Or did he pop up next to her in the Ladies? Which is another type of 'weird'.

I don't mean to be cynical, I LOVE timeslips and am fascinated by them, but I have the kind of brain that goes - 'hang on, how does that work then?' Blame the day job.

Edited: But I still can't get the quote function to work... buggeritmilleniumhandandshrimp
Sorted the quote for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited: But I still can't get the quote function to work... buggeritmilleniumhandandshrimp

The way I insert a quote is to highlight the bit of text I want in someone's post and then click 'quote', and it appears in the reply box.
Further quotes can be inserted in the same way; you just go back to the original post and highlight/'reply' and bingo!

Yes, I can usually do it, but for some reason it's just not working for me this morning, Scargy!

I'm blaming cold fingers and an ageing laptop. Or I may just be having my own brain fart.

It was in Australia, the witness and his girl friend were at a public toilet. She went in and he decided to walk through nearby woods. He spent about 10 minutes there and wandered back, leaving the trees slightly farther away. As he glanced over he saw himself just about to enter the woods.
etc

I agree with every word you say, especially about how long a woman takes to pee! Also about the brain fart/possible minor seizure idea.

At the recent LAPIS conference we enjoyed Dr Rob Gandy's talk 'Memories are made of .....?'

Here's the blurb, with what I think is a particularly relevant bit in bold -

Rob Gandy will explore three areas of forteana that relate to memories. The first will be the ‘Mandela Effect’, which is a phenomenon where a large number of people have a false memory about an event or fact. He will then look at how transient global amnesia could account for some ‘missing time’ experiences, which those involved subsequently attribute to UFOs. Finally he will talk about ‘Cellular Memory’ and give examples of some of the strange changes that have happened to people who have received donor organs. Hopefully Rob’s presentation will be unforgettable!

Rob himself suffered a brief episode of transient global amnesia. He was at home, in his garage fixing a bicycle puncture, and went in to ask his his wife about something. He then suddenly forgot everything that had happened that day and his wife, thinking he was having a stroke or whatever, took him to hospital where various tests established that nothing was physically wrong.

Transient global amnesia was diagnosed - alarming but harmless - and his memory gradually returned.

If this happened to me I'd be loth to ask for help in case I lost my driving licence and livelihood on suspicion of having epilepsy. This has happened to people I've known, as I've described on here, and it makes me wary.

Yes, I can usually do it, but for some reason it's just not working for me this morning, Scargy!

I'm blaming cold fingers and an ageing laptop. Or I may just be having my own brain fart.

Well it's not working for me now either so we're both of us clever and annoyed!

Ten minutes is a VERY long time for a pee. If she didn't need to queue, she would be done and out in a couple of minutes, which leads me to think that his perception of time lapsed may be faulty. Which leads me further to think that some kind of 'Brain Fart' took place (maybe a minor seizure or 'daydream'?). Because otherwise his girlfriend would have been wandering about looking for him for ages.

He returned to the toilet where his girlfriend was surprised as he had only just left her. Presumably he had gone back in time, so this would be a time gained situation..

So did his girlfriend not actually go in to the toilet? If she went in, then he returned to the toilet and she was surprised to see him, presumably she must already have 'been'? In which case he hadn't 'just left her' and they had been apart for a perfectly normal amount of time. Or did he pop up next to her in the Ladies? Which is another type of 'weird'.

I don't mean to be cynical, I LOVE timeslips and am fascinated by them, but I have the kind of brain that goes - 'hang on, how does that work then?' Blame the day job.

Here's the full story:

enn and a friend were traveling the hills east of Adelaide, South Australia in an area known as Woodside, when they experienced a TWIDDER. His spacetime slip is a complex one, involving a doppelganger AND a slip back in time! (See the original posting at http://paranormal.about.com/od/Doppelgangers/a/tales_11_06_26t.htm.)

We were bored and decided to kill a few hours in a car. Unfortunately, though, [my companion] had a much weaker bladder than I, so we pulled up by a local public toilet cubical so she could go about her business.
Whilst having a few minutes to myself, I decided to get out of the car, stretch my legs a bit and do a small bit of exploring, as I rarely travel to Woodside without a purpose.
There was a group of trees just down the road, and being the immature, supernatural/paranormal obsessed young man I am, I started wondering what kind of evil beasties could lurk amongst the small forest. Thoughts quickly filled my mind of stories I’d read and heard about forest dwelling witches and ghosts, and at one stage, the Chupacabras even crossed my mind. I felt a cold chill run down my spine like someone, or something, was watching me.
I decided to venture in to the small forest, and found a small clearing not too far in. My companion was always afraid of my paranormal investigative side, so I’d left her with the keys to the car, so she could get back in when she was finished and I could still have a chance to explore a little bit.
While walking through this clearing, I started to hear the most high-pitched frequency I’d ever heard, and a local farmer along with two of his hunting dogs ran past me, in the direction of it. I tried to get his attention, but he just kept on running, like a man possessed by something.
After this, I freaked out a little bit and turned to run back in the direction I’d come from, to get back to the car where, by now, my companion would have to be waiting for me (I’d been gone for approximately 15 minutes by this time).
Running through the trees and shrubs, it came to my attention that I wasn’t entirely sure I was exactly retracing my steps, and I feared I may have wavered from my original path slightly, causing me to come out of the forest about 30 meters away from where I’d originally entered.
I wasn’t worried that I didn’t come out where I’d entered, as I expected my path to vary slightly, and I could see the car from where I was anyway. Rather, the part that worried me was that standing where I’d entered approximately a quarter of an hour ago, there was another young man, who, to put frankly, was me. He would have been my height, my build. He was wearing the same clothes as me… it couldn’t be coincidence. It was me from 15 minutes ago, about to enter the forest.
I’d somehow traveled back 15 minutes and was now watching myself. I waited for the other me to enter the forest before leaving where I was, as I didn’t want to somehow disturb time and space by meeting myself, and warning myself that strange things were about to happen. The moment he was out of sight, I made a mad dash back to the car; my companion was still not back.
A couple minutes passed and she came back to the car, slightly bewildered that it seemed I had not gone exploring like I said that I was going to. I explained what I’d been through and she froze, as if understanding the extremity I had put on the situation. According to her (and later confirmed by clocks) I’d been gone for just less than a minute. I don’t know whether the farmer and his dogs have any relevance, nor whether the high pitch noise served a purpose, but I’d somehow traveled back in time and almost ran into myself!

I hope that clarifies the situation. My summary was from memory and I did give a link to the post in Spacetime Slips a while back.

my punt for easiest-to-read post of the year, or maybe best adapted format

Ten minutes is a VERY long time for a pee. If she didn't need to queue, she would be done and out in a couple of minutes, which leads me to think that his perception of time lapsed may be faulty.
Perhaps she only told him she needed a pee but actually went for (gasp!) a number two..

Perhaps she only told him she needed a pee but actually went for (gasp!) a number two..

Ten minutes though? Maybe I've been trained by having small children hammering on the door after ten seconds shouting 'what are you dooooooing?' but ten minutes seems a long time to be in the loo, if you are in normal health. Unless she'd got a magazine in there with her...

Ten minutes though? Maybe I've been trained by having small children hammering on the door after ten seconds shouting 'what are you dooooooing?' but ten minutes seems a long time to be in the loo, if you are in normal health. Unless she'd got a magazine in there with her...

Yup, in my experience while women spend slightly longer on a normal loo visit than a man might (for clothing/physiological reasons) they don't tend to sit in there reading. Five minutes would be a longish time and ten minutes would be most unusual.

D'you know, I never anticipated joining this forum and debating the difference between male and female defecation timings?

Tch. I should have known...

NOTE: Ongoing tangential discussion of toilet timings / habits / etc. has been moved to Toilet Talk:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/toilet-talk.29160/

Back