• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slips: Physical Locations & Boundaries

To be perfectly fair, I doubt anything that comes from the pen of Mr Sleman a great story teller no doubt but not to be taken seriously

Nicely described account, but extremely similar to one from the Tom Sleman collection that I posted a couple of years ago. That also featured an elderly man with his 15 year-old granddaughter and an apparent timeslip to the Carboniferous.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/time-or-dimensional-slips.13755/page-48#post-2039554

I note that Bob Gymlan describes himself as a "creator and influencer" so probably wise to treat the creations of this American Tom Sleman as entertaining fiction rather than genuine accounts of time slips.
A-ha! I don't trust Sleman either though i personally know two people who claim to have seen dragonflies as big as remote control planes.

A-ha! I don't trust Sleman either though i personally know two people who claim to have seen dragonflies as big as remote control planes.
I wonder if this is part of the 'is it an ABC or just a big domestic cat because there's no scale to judge from' phenomenon?

It was the similarity in the two tales of the old man, 15-year-old granddaughter, fog appearing and then very large arthropods that made me wonder if one story had influenced the other. OK so huge dragonflies are more famous than huge arachnids (the Sleman spidery thing may have been a Pulmonoscorpius) but still quite similar accounts - both of which I suspect were complete BS!

Where did your friend see such a large dragonfly?
The largest living dragonfly I've seen up close was in my garden 3 years ago. It was bright metallic yellow/green in colour and its wings were about as wide as my 6" decking boards.

…two people who claim to have seen dragonflies as big as remote control planes.

Why not? There are military drones the size of dragonflies:

e1eb331fc7dbda8c2e88ed1100e6bd16

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hornet_Nano

maximus otter

It was the similarity in the two tales of the old man, 15-year-old granddaughter, fog appearing and then very large arthropods that made me wonder if one story had influenced the other. OK so huge dragonflies are more famous than huge arachnids (the Sleman spidery thing may have been a Pulmonoscorpius) but still quite similar accounts - both of which I suspect were complete BS!

Where did your friend see such a large dragonfly?
The largest living dragonfly I've seen up close was in my garden 3 years ago. It was bright metallic yellow/green in colour and its wings were about as wide as my 6" decking boards.
One was Oll Lewis who used to work for the CFZ. It was in Wales i think. The other was Sam Shearon the great horror artist. His was in the North West of England, near Lytham i think.

One was Oll Lewis who used to work for the CFZ. It was in Wales i think. The other was Sam Shearon the great horror artist. His was in the North West of England, near Lytham i think.
There's lots of scary things in Lytham but I've never heard of giant insects or spiders (just lots of very wealthy elderly folk)

About 3 foot across.
Well I've checked and the biggest recorded insect in the world today is coming in at about 25 inches. Has anyone checked whether a dragonfly of 3 feet across could actually get airborne?

Intriguing stuff...!

Time-slips are my favourite Fortean topics but also one of the most frustrating to research. For me personally, I find the brief experiences (seconds to minutes) more convincing than some of the drawn-out cases.

There was a relatively recent nightmare apparent time-slip from the north of England that I have flagged up on the time-slip thread as I feel it provides a tantalising clue. During the time-slip event the mother and son witnessed the light from the moon, streetlights and headlights bending towards the ground in clearly defined, rainbow-like arcs. This is highly suggestive of strong gravitational forces at play and it is worth reminding ourselves that there is still a lot we don't understand about gravity:

https://www.newscientist.com/round-up/seven-things-that-dont-make-sense-about-gravity/

Intriguing stuff...!

Time-slips are my favourite Fortean topics but also one of the most frustrating to research. For me personally, I find the brief experiences (seconds to minutes) more convincing than some of the drawn-out cases.

There was a relatively recent nightmare apparent time-slip from the north of England that I have flagged up on the time-slip thread as I feel it provides a tantalising clue. During the time-slip event the mother and son witnessed the light from the moon, streetlights and headlights bending towards the ground in clearly defined, rainbow-like arcs. This is highly suggestive of strong gravitational forces at play and it is worth reminding ourselves that there is still a lot we don't understand about gravity:

https://www.newscientist.com/round-up/seven-things-that-dont-make-sense-about-gravity/
It is a Rob Gandy case and described in this podcast:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7883181...e-48-phantom-hitchhikers-with-dr-robert-gandy

Yes, but the oxygen/carbon dioxide levels were very different then. That's why many creatures could grow to a much larger size than nowadays. I meant, does anyone know if insects can grow that large in current conditions.
Only in artifical conditions. But IF timeslips exist maybe the insects came through for a bit before going back to their own time period.

But if giant dragonflies were coming through to our time, to our oxygen levels, they would asphyxiate.
Maybe time-slips are purely visual, no actual travel involved, more of a window than a door.

Having said that, I am highly doubtful of time-slips, since they only seem to be reported in the English-speaking world, which indicates a cultural fad to me.

Back to dragonflies, a time-slip of a giant dragonfly would represent many, many millions of years, which is vastly different to slips to decades or a few centuries ago, which are the most commonly reported.

With regard to light arcing being a gravitational effect... if it was gravity doing that, I think the observer would have a lot more problems on their mind (albeit briefly) than seeing something anachronistic. Some sort of atmospheric distortion would be more likely, and much more survivable.

Maybe time-slips are purely visual, no actual travel involved, more of a window than a door.

Having said that, I am highly doubtful of time-slips, since they only seem to be reported in the English-speaking world, which indicates a cultural fad to me.

Back to dragonflies, a time-slip of a giant dragonfly would represent many, many millions of years, which is vastly different to slips to decades or a few centuries ago, which are the most commonly reported.

With regard to light arcing being a gravitational effect... if it was gravity doing that, I think the observer would have a lot more problems on their mind (albeit briefly) than seeing something anachronistic. Some sort of atmospheric distortion would be more likely, and much more survivable.
As Mark Gatiss eloquently pointed out on 'Uncanny', one recurring problem with our understanding of Forteana is that we in the West use the language of science-fiction to describe what we believe to be fact, hence "time-slips". Other cultures may place a much more mystical, folkloric or religious angle on such experiences. Lest we forget, the world of the little people and fairies etc is replete with tales of what we would now describe as missing time events and inter-dimensional travel and such lore is widespread outside of the English-speaking world.

You make a good point and I just scraped a 'C' in Physics, maybe there is a clue in this:

"Now imagine a marble; this represents a photon. If you roll the marble in a straight line on the mattress and it comes too close to the bowling ball, the marble will curve because the mattress it’s traveling on dips and curves around the bowling ball. This is what happens to light traveling through space: When it comes too close to a massive object, it encounters warped space-time and curves not because it’s being pulled by gravity, but because the space-time it’s traveling through is curved, so its “straight” path becomes a curved, bent one."

https://www.astronomy.com/science/h...le it is true that,bowling ball on a mattress.

You make a good point and I just scraped a 'C' in Physics, maybe there is a clue in this:

"Now imagine a marble; this represents a photon. If you roll the marble in a straight line on the mattress and it comes too close to the bowling ball, the marble will curve because the mattress it’s traveling on dips and curves around the bowling ball. This is what happens to light traveling through space: When it comes too close to a massive object, it encounters warped space-time and curves not because it’s being pulled by gravity, but because the space-time it’s traveling through is curved, so its “straight” path becomes a curved, bent one."

https://www.astronomy.com/science/how-does-gravity-affect-photons-that-is-bend-light-if-photons-have-no-mass/#:~:text=While it is true that,bowling ball on a mattress.
This was kind of my point. If the gravitational forces were strong enough to visibly bend light to the naked eye, then you are talking about the kind of forces you would find in the close vicinity of a neutron star. The observer, and their surroundings, would be instantly destroyed.

Last edited:
This was kind of my point. If the gravitational forces were strong enough to visibly bend light to the naked eye, then you are talking about the kind of forces you would find in the close vicinity of a neutron star. The observer, and their surroundings, would be instantly destroyed.
So some sort of atmospheric distortion? Everything about time-slips is deemed impossible by science and yet the vast majority of the accounts themselves are so compelling...

They may be able to survive for a time.
As time-slips are such brief, transitory episodes, they are usually not long enough to cause problems such as asphyxiation.

But I do think the phenomenon is just allowing a transfer of photons from one timeline to another (and probably not much else).

Back