• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time, Temporality & Perceptions Thereof: What Are They?

It now appears we have demonstrable evidence that (at least to the extent it's framed via thermodynamics) the arrow of time can be reversed.

Very good. All the equations are reversible but why is there an arrow of time? There may not be...time may freely zip back and forth...but you would have no way of proving thus. Because when you are zipped back to 6 years old that is exactly where you would be.
, ie not grown up enough to even realize it

As of 2006, 'time' was claimed to be the most commonly used noun in the English language.
The popularity of 'time' unveiled

The word "time" is the most common noun in the English language, according to the latest Oxford dictionary.

Oxford University Press researchers looked on the internet at newspapers, journals, fictions and weblogs to take a snapshot of our everyday language.

"Person" was ranked at number two, while "man" reached number seven and "woman" was behind at number 14. ...

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5104778.stm

The quest to unify general relativity and quantum mechanics has led to some physicists devising models that dispense with the concept of time.
Time May Not Exist at All, According to Physics
SAM BARON, THE CONVERSATION 25 APRIL 2022

Does time exist? The answer to this question may seem obvious: Of course it does! Just look at a calendar or a clock.

But developments in physics suggest the non-existence of time is an open possibility, and one that we should take seriously.

How can that be, and what would it mean? It'll take a little while to explain, but don't worry: Even if time doesn't exist, our lives will go on as usual. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/time-may-not-exist-according-to-physics-but-that-could-be-okay-for-us

It's weird, isn't it? In the same day, you can read a headline saying there may be an anti-universe running backwards through time, and another headline saying (not for the first time) that time may not exist. This is why a friend of mine recently told me science is all theoretical and we only have their word for anything (as we sat in a house surrounded by devices developed from discoveries originating from theoretical physics).

Hmmm.
  • Time exists.
  • Time does not exist.
  • Time runs backwards.
Confusing!

Plus...the brain constructs the perception of a series of events seen in a linear timeframe into the order which 'makes sense', that may or may not be the order in which they occurred...
Which may explain why so many people remember a different sequence of events?

Which may explain why so many people remember a different sequence of events?
Yeah. And it's not possible to tell if you memory of 'some event' is real or not real. Even when you know it's 'not real'.

The board will know of the famous 'sugeon's photograph of Nessie. I have a clear memory of reading a letter in the 'Telegraph' admitting the hoax in 1988, location fixed. I KNOW this cannot be correct as it actually became common currency in 1994. My memory has a kind of mental asterisk on it now. Annoying isn't it?

I have sometimes thought, when reading high strangeness cases, that sometimes it seems that something is mocking our concept of time. I think I could pick out quite a few examples, but don't have my books to hand at the moment. An example:

...in 1951, a little man dressed in black was seen by two girls walking along a country lane in County Wicklow... they opened a gate into a field, and ran inside, closing the gate behind them before running across the field. Looking back, they couldn't see the little man, but they did notice something strange, about the size and shape of a kitchen clock, on the top bar of the gate. What this might have been is anyone's guess.
(from Fairies: Real Encounters with Little People by Janet Bord).

I recall another entity encounter, involving a clock that had no hands, and others where the entities have made contradictory or nonsensical comments about the time.

One tangible (and inarguable) milestone that forecharts the tick-down of our days is the embossed/printed month & year expiry date upon the flexible plastic debit & credit cash-cards we all use in this brave new(ish) century.

Today in a branch of B&Q (a seminal British & Irish version of Home Depot/Bunnings) I finally succumbed to the strongarm tactics of the store-card pushers, and said 'Yes' to accepting one of these loyalty cards they encourage addicts to carry.

A cold shiver ran down my spine when I realised that the expiry date marked on it (03/50) over quarter-of-a-century into our futures: a passage of time I'll be very unlikely to ever see all of. I was therefore looking at the instantiation of a personally-designated object in my physical universe that was, in effect, decreed to exist after I probably do not.

I was also hit by the lesser (but still disconcerting) interpolative realisation that there were people walking around me in the store (much-earlier succumbers to capture by the corporate card) with well-worn/ailing plastic loyalty cards that would've been issued back in nineteen hundred & ninety-four (Nixon died, Clinton and Major were in the ascendancy, and the first-ever PlayStation was plugged-in).

Time is horrifying: but only if you look up, or down, or think about it.

Last edited:
It has been said that if one can control time, one can control the universe.

Einstein was right, time is real and tangible.

It has been proven several times in the past that if a person can speed up his existence, then that person’s aging process will slow down.

The control of time could be the basis of dimension portals into a parallel world or past times.

Does the past, the now, and the future exist all at one time. ?

I disagree. As I've said elsewhere, my belief is that everything has already happened - ie been written- and we're just passing through.

Would we know if the past has never existed and we are in a highly-detailed simulation that only started running a few seconds ago?
I think we could examine that more deeply. If we're a simulation, we might be a four dimensional simulation in a universe of greater dimensions in which our time dimension is mapped in one of the simulator's dimensions of space. Think of a Minkowski diagram, in which you can see all of the time of the diagram at once. Our simulator may have created all of time at once, and can probably adjust the simulation at any point in spacetime. It becomes meaningless to say how long ago it created the simulation, because our time is not its time.

So, it seems it is being suggested we are living inside a computer existence where all our thoughts have been programmed into us.

Actually this would explain all the bizarre things like ghosts, spirits, and UFOs.

So, is our reality really real ?

But, who is doing the programming, something that we call god or what ?

But, who is doing the programming, something that we call god or what ?
Depends what your conception of God is, I suppose. I don't believe in God or see any reason to believe we live in a simulation.

However, whenever the simulation theory discussion comes along, someone asks whether the entity in charge would therefore be God. Here's my take.

As I said in my previous post, if we're in a simulation there's a chance it exists in a universe of more than four dimensions, with our time dimension being one of the parent universe's dimensions of space. This would allow our creator (for convenience, I'm assuming a single entity created our universe) to have access to every location and moment of our spacetime. From our point of view, such a being might be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, so God.

The equivalency can be seen from the opposite direction. If the God who created our universe is omnipotent, -scient, -present, it would make sense that it exists in a universe of more than four dimensions capable of holding our four dimensional spacetime. From his point of view, our universe is necessarily a simulation.

My opinion is that everything depends on size or relatively.

If an ant can think, this ant’s view of the world does not extend beyond his ant nest in the ground.

The universe is so big, our view which is like the ant’s view is very confined.

I personally think our universe is a living entity which we are living inside off.

I don’t think we live in a simulation.

When you have a pain, it is not imaginary.

Back