• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

Obake said:
Which is good detective work and certainly a possible explanation, I suppose, though a) Wouldn't one normally keep such a device in a purse or coat until there was actually someone talking to you? I don't know that anyone would walk around just holding the device up to the side of his/her head, and b} the person certainly appears to be talking or at least moving his/her mouth.

She may well be taking direction from the people filming. It wouldn't be unusual for an amateur/member of the public to make an arse of it like she has.

"Just keep walking, Mrs Worthington!"

"What's that, dearie? I'm a little deaf, I'm afraid."

Obake said:
Which is good detective work and certainly a possible explanation, I suppose, though a) Wouldn't one normally keep such a device in a purse or coat until there was actually someone talking to you? I don't know that anyone would walk around just holding the device up to the side of his/her head, and b} the person certainly appears to be talking or at least moving his/her mouth.

I would agree that 'time traveller' is among the least plausible explanations, but just saying 'well they had portable, battery-operated hearing aids back then, so it's solved' really doesn't go very far in explaining what we're seeing in the clip.

I still like my simple explanation, (last post on page 2) Maybe the person she was talking to had stopped walking & she didn't realise. That sort of thing happens all the time.

Eta: or what I've just thought of. She's talking away and the hearing device is amplifying her own voice so it sounds very loud to her. She mistakenly thinks it amplifies her voice loud enough for everyone to hear ( you know what old people can be like with technology :)...) so she's just talking away...

sherbetbizarre said:
...by having a big red arrow and the word "busted"?

Sherbs and his forum poster wins. Christians were posting on the 29th.

sherbetbizarre said:
sherbetbizarre

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:51 am
Could it be one of these?

I repeat.
Mooksta said:
Moooksta

Excellent, well found Sherb.

Just like the Christians to take credit for others work.

So, they are saying they've solved it with the words ear and trumpet... well i'm glad that is sorted.

Just got this in an email from a friend.

It is a picture taken in 1905 of the sea front of Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland (a popular sea side town), showing a woman who appears to be using a mobile phone (or other communication device).

Link
Link is dead. No archived version found. No separate story matching clues cited above was located.

Mod Edit: H-u-g-e pic changed to link by WJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if that's her sleeve and not something behind her (the texture and color exactly match the suit of the man behind her), there's other reasons to touch your cheek than to stick a cell phone in your ear.

PeniG said:
Even if that's her sleeve and not something behind her (the texture and color exactly match the suit of the man behind her), there's other reasons to touch your cheek than to stick a cell phone in your ear.

Agreed :yeay:

There was a similar picture doing the rounds a while back from the late 1920's which also looked like a woman talking on a mobile. Then someone pointed out that Siemens produced a hearing aid at the time that both looked, and was held to the ear, in the same manner as a modern phone.

Not the case here, of course, as 1905 would be too early for that, but I personally have to agree with PeniG on this one.

As I recall that was a clip from the Chaplin film 'The Circus'?
That device is also part of a sketch in a film by Laurel and Hardy where they are working on a production line using hammering tools, their boss (played by James finlayson) was deaf from years working there and also used a hearing aid like that.

I reckon PeniG is so right, there are other reasons to touch you hand to the side of your head.... the jaunty angle of her hat might be the number one reason.

And, IIRC, there was no mobile phone network at that time. So how would she be making a call...? ;)

I've seen a picture like this before. It's an ear trumpet. No electronics necessary.

Also, the first woman in white seated towards the bottom edge of the picture is obviously checking out her iPhone - as is another lady, also in white, just the other side of the fourth umbrella away from us.

And the guy on the right (as we see it) of the group of four chaps walking towards us on the promenade has got a phone up in front of his face.

Let's face it - it doesn't even have to be an ear-trumpet; there are so many things that could explain these gestures that even the addition of non-anachronistic technology is unnecessary.

Rubbish. She's obviously Charlie Chaplin in drag.

Slightly OT - That hand-to-face gesture is easy for the police to spot. Working at the Magistrates' Courts, I saw lots of people prosecuted for using phones while driving. None got away with it - you can't prove you weren't using it by producing phone records so it comes down to your word against the police officer's. As the Magistrates generally believe the police, you're scuppered.

Don't do it, kids! Stick to Edwardian seafronts! ;)

If you were going back in time to mess up people's photos, would you not take a laptop or a tablet?
Heck, even a DeLorean parked on the seafront would be something to behold.

Re: Bray 1905 featuring "time travelling woman on phone

Bbrhuft said:
Just got this in an email from a friend.

It is a picture taken in 1905 of the sea front of Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland (a popular sea side town), showing a woman who appears to be using a mobile phone (or other communication device).

Link

Mod Edit: H-u-g-e pic changed to link by WJ.

I dunno how you make that out. The sleeve is obviously an object belonging to the person seated behind. The real problem with the picture is it's not a woman at all but a shape-shifting alligator woman in mid-shift.

She could be holding up some opera glasses, holding her hat on, adjusting her hair, scratching her ear ...................
I agree, there are a thousand reasons she could be touching her face. The most least likely is that she is a time traveller.

Is there any reason to think that the picture would be of a woman on a mobile phone? It seems like quite an assumption to make.

James_H2 said:
Is there any reason to think that the picture would be of a woman on a mobile phone? It seems like quite an assumption to make.

The thing is, had someone been in that exact same pose in a picture taken a week ago, no one would hesitate to assume that they were on the phone. I guess we tend to unconciously overlay our own culture over all of our perceptions.

Also, could jimv1 please elaborate on where the shape-shifting alligator is, cos I would absolutly love to find a way to overlay my cultural perceptions on one of those.

This seems like the best thread to which to add this fine early example of a mohawk in Yorkshire, c. 1950:

10896371_991125954249653_435545534271453253_o.jpg

Last edited:
This seems like the best thread to which to add this fine early example of a mohawk in Yorkshire, c. 1950:

10896371_991125954249653_435545534271453253_o.jpg

If you mean the guy kneeling on the left I think he just has the classic receding hair look that the guy stood top right has. You can vaguely see an outline of remaining hair on the back of his head.

If you mean the guy kneeling on the left I think he just has the classic receding hair look that the guy stood top right has. You can vaguely see an outline of remaining hair on the back of his head.
In fact, their hairstyles look rather similar. Maybe there was a stiff breeze blowing from behind or something?

On the other hand the guy standing to the left (from our perspective) of Mr Mohawk appears to be a Victorian time traveller. o_O

I suspect you're right, but if I was feeling contrary I would urge you to look at the neo-Victorian chap stood behind him - without zooming in, it's easy to interpret the picture as showing two highlights coming off the material of his trouser pocket, which is raised and distorted by the hand he has thrust therein, as opposed to one highlight off the pocket and one off the remaining hair on our man's head. Also, in my experience*, a receding hairline goes at the top, first, doesn't it, rather than at the sides?

* of observing my fellow men, you understand *cough*

Also, in my experience*, a receding hairline goes at the top, first, doesn't it, rather than at the sides?

Not for me unfortunately. I have a hairdresser adept at cutting the middles of my fringe shorter than the sides.

Back