• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Timekeeping (Clocks, Horology, Methods, Standards)

With the time change and darkness comes early, I find myself having a harder time to adjust this year more so than in past years.

I don’t know why, maybe being older ?

With the time change and darkness comes early, I find myself having a harder time to adjust this year more so than in past years.

My guess.

Lockdown has made you a bit sluggish, and the days roll into one another, and so lessen the delineation between seasons.

It may have been the weather rather than age, the clock and / or sunlight.

In the eastern USA the weather remained summer-like noticeably later than usual with fewer or no chilly foretastes of fall.

It may have been the weather rather than age, the clock and / or sunlight.

In the eastern USA the weather remained summer-like noticeably later than usual with fewer or no chilly foretastes of fall.

Astute point, I agree.

In London, we had a wet spring that ran into late May.

There was a short warm spell in June, and a four day heatwave late July.

But essentially summer did not really happen.

It was a chilly spring > then a waiting period > then the clocks went back and we had cold nights and light frosts in the morning again.

I have felt off-kilter too.

You all make a good point about the weather.

It has been almost summer/fall temperatures until the last few nights have finally gotten below freezing.

I remember as a child we would have a light snowfall by now and the leaves would be off the trees.

That is another thing, the trees are holding onto their leaves longer.

Oh ! !

It is that time of the year, and I am not happy.

In my location this Sunday we spring forward an hour as daylight savings kicks in.

Why can they not leave the time one way or the other ?

It has been shown that changing your biological clock cause depression, obesity, heart attacks, stress,

disorientation, and memory loss, sleep disturbances, learnings, and loss of REM sleep.

Several states have considered one time, but then realized it will not work because the federal government will not change their schedules.
I can't believe that one hour can really make any difference to how you feel. When I flew to Oz I felt a bit crap for being on a plane for 21 hours, and my ears where shot, but I didn't have any problems. However, I was thinking at the weekend about whether it effects the F1 drivers as they hop about a lot, (not so much in Europe/Arabia where it's only 1-4 hours difference), but especially when the Americas and Asiana is thrown into the mix.

I guess Floud1 every one is different.

I find that thin line between light and dark some call dusk upsets me the most when shadows get strange and you are not sure what is what.

whether it effects the F1 drivers
For most of the season they pretty much keep to the races starting at 2pm GMT. Races in South/North America are a bit later, either 5 or 7 pm GMT, so for most of the season they can keep their watches set to UK time and it's okay.
The ones in far flung eastern parts are usually 'night races' (which are typically at about 10pm local time) and the middle eastern ones are 'dusk races', with floodlights.
So that leaves Australia, Japan and China really which are the ones most difficult to accommodate time wise.
With the (usually) couple of weeks before/after each of these races I expect the drivers (and other team members) don't find it too difficult to adjust by a few hours for several days.

For most of the season they pretty much keep to the races starting at 2pm GMT. Races in South/North America are a bit later, either 5 or 7 pm GMT, so for most of the season they can keep their watches set to UK time and it's okay.
The ones in far flung eastern parts are usually 'night races' (which are typically at about 10pm local time) and the middle eastern ones are 'dusk races', with floodlights.
So that leaves Australia, Japan and China really which are the ones most difficult to accommodate time wise.
With the (usually) couple of weeks before/after each of these races I expect the drivers (and other team members) don't find it too difficult to adjust by a few hours for several days.
Well if the Texas and Mexico races are say 1pm local time, that's around 9pm for a European based driver so that's quite a difference. Also I suppose it depends on where the driver goes to after a race as well. Most have homes all over the place.

In my area tomorrow we start daylight savings time and I always hate the change.

Scientists claim this causes more car wrecks and heart attacks.

The argument that DLS saves energy I don’t believe it so.

The UK National Physical Lab made a startling discovery in that the earth increased its speed by 1.59 milliseconds.

There is a debate now if the worlds atomic clocks need to be adjusted.

The earth’s faster spin was the last thing that the lab was looking for.

So you are getting 1.59 milliseconds less sleep.

It seems I am the only one that gets fussy.

Daylight Savings Time in the U.S. ends November 6th.

The days get dark around 4:30 in the evening, and the pain of changing batteries and clocks.

Sad !

Our clocks go back at 2AM to 1AM on 30th October 2022.

British Summer Time will give way to Greenwich Mean Time.

In the depths of the winter it will be dark in London by about 4.15PM.

The UK National Physical Lab made a startling discovery in that the earth increased its speed by 1.59 milliseconds.

There is a debate now if the worlds atomic clocks need to be adjusted.

The earth’s faster spin was the last thing that the lab was looking for.

So you are getting 1.59 milliseconds less sleep.
I was wondering why I was feeling tired..

Go take a leap, foul leap second! The relevant governing body has voted to eliminate the current leap second protocol by 2035.
Pesky 'leap second' will be abolished by 2035

Time is up for the leap second. Last week, an international coalition of scientists and government agencies voted to retire the dated timekeeping system, which will officially end in 2035.

The decision was made Nov. 18 during a general conference in France held by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), the organization responsible for global timekeeping.

Similar to leap years, leap seconds are a measure of time that get added periodically to clocks to make up for the difference between astronomical time (Universal Time 1, or UT1), also known as the Earth's rotation, and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), which is based on the atomic clock. ...

First introduced in 1972, leap seconds have long been the bane of timekeepers' existence and have increasingly come under pressure for elimination as highly used technologies, such as satellite navigation, computer networks, telecommunication and aviation, increasingly demand extreme accuracy in time keeping. ...

At its inception 50 years ago, 10 leap seconds were added to the atomic time scale; in the years since, 27 more additions have been made whenever the two time systems drifted apart by more than 0.9 seconds, according to The New York Times ...

The addition of leap seconds has created its own host of issues and can result in technical difficulties that can affect everything from financial transactions to energy transmissions — even how astronomers align their telescopes ...

the average person most likely "won't notice the change," and that instead of adding in seconds on an annual basis, the new methodology will involve compounding seconds over the course of a century or more. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/goodbye-leap-second-2035

This Scientific American article (from before the meeting / vote) explains one less-mentioned reason for deciding to eliminate the current leap second protocol:
Although in the long term Earth’s rotation slows due to the pull of the Moon, a speed-up since 2020 has also made the issue more pressing, because for the first time, a leap second might need to be removed, rather than added. UTC has only ever had to slow a beat to wait for Earth, not skip ahead to catch up with it. “It’s kind of being described as a Y2K issue, because it’s just something that we’ve never had to deal with” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ime-is-up-world-votes-to-stop-pausing-clocks/

Daylight Savings Time starts in our location this Sunday.

I am not happy about losing an hour of sleep.

Keep it one way or the other and not bounce around.

A 2015 University of Michigan study found that people in general were stressed out with the Daylight Savings Time change which produced more stress.

This increased stress caused more heart attacks, car crashes, and sleep pattern disruptions.

A 2015 University of Michigan study found that people in general were stressed out with the Daylight Savings Time change which produced more stress.

This increased stress caused more heart attacks, car crashes, and sleep pattern disruptions.
Because of just 60 minutes? Balls.
I can lose an hour very easily most days.

My wife and I have worked our required years and we are now retired, so it’s not as bad on us.

But I feel sorry for people who can not be late to punch that time clock in a structured working environment.

Changing their sleep patterns doesn’t help the situation.

Because of just 60 minutes? Balls.
I can lose an hour very easily most days.

Some people have trouble adjusting.

I once spoke to someone who was still in a form of jet lag a week after the clocks changed.

Some people have trouble adjusting
Indeed- but the perennial chimes of doom that are trotted-out regarding the purported negative outcomes experienced by a significant (we can presume, or why report upon it?) proportion of humanity, directly due to the biannual clock changes are ludicrous.

The reports fall into the category of journalism that lies somewhere between sensationalism sells and let's-derivatively-report-each-others-paranoia.

If we are to truly believe that a collective gain or loss of a mere hour's-worth of daylight or sleep causes people in their thousands to drop dead, run red lights and slice their hands off with industrial gullotines, we are either societally-naïve or doom-lust fantasists.

Humanity would never have survived beyond a couple of generations, if we really were such a pile of dorma-normative deadbeats.

Last edited:
Some people have trouble adjusting.

I once spoke to someone who was still in a form of jet lag a week after the clocks changed.

I worked swing shift so long that I didn't really experience jet lag.

I've been "retired" for so long now that even the one hour can have an effect for a couple of days. And for at least a week the clock appears to be an hour off.

It's annoying.

The strange thing to me is the same clowns who give us an hour just to take it away again can't even figure out that noon is neither AM nor PM and that midnight falls between days and not on the proceeding or following. If you're supposed to meet someone midnight Saturday you better confirm she means the midnight between sat and sun or you might both be very disappointed.

Some very important and big events have turned out to be between the wrong two days.

We pay the damn UN billions of dollars and they can't fix the simplest problems so there's no hope we'll ever be on Greenwich time.

The strange thing to me is the same clowns who give us an hour just to take it away again can't even figure out that noon is neither AM nor PM and that midnight falls between days and not on the proceeding or following. If you're supposed to meet someone midnight Saturday you better confirm she means the midnight between sat and sun or you might both be very disappointed.

Some very important and big events have turned out to be between the wrong two days.

We pay the damn UN billions of dollars and they can't fix the simplest problems so there's no hope we'll ever be on Greenwich time.
That's why there's no midnight or midday in the army. It's either 11.59/ 12.01 or 23.59/ 00.01.
I don't however, see the possible confusion about meeting someone at midnight on Saturday? Midnight occurs at the end of the day in question. ?
And the reason it's done (in the UK) is because otherwise it wouldn't get light until late in the morning in Scotland.
Mind you it's like an old American Indian once said "only the white man can cut a foot off one end of a blanket, sew it back on to the other end and think he's got a longer blanket".

Back