• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Timeslip In The Woods?

AnnieOly

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My first time posting here, please bear with me as I describe the area where this took place, as it is important in understanding what happened, I think in 2000 or 2001. I live in the Pacific Northwest on some acreage that includes forest. That forest includes big trees and smaller ones, ferns (literally thousands of them), and a lot of thick underbrush. The acreage is semi rural meaning that there are other homes within three to five acres away, so at night it is possible to see lights even standing in the middle of the woods in the back of the property. A dead end gravel road runs along the back, and another dead end gravel road runs along the front and ends in my driveway.

There is a dirt walking trail that goes around the back half which is all forest (the front is pasture). At night I would sometimes walk that trail without a flashlight, just for the challenge and to prove to myself that my night vision was still OK. Normally, I had no problems and could easily find the start of it.

Until one night. It was raining lightly, just a typical misty drizzle for here. After trying for at least five minutes to find the start of the trail, I noticed that the atmosphere seemed kind of dense, that it was no longer raining, and that it was really 'I literally can't see my hand in front of my face' dark with no lights visible anywhere. Then I heard the sound of a motor and something crashing through the woods, and in less than 30 seconds a small pickup was coming right at me. The first weird things here that I didn't think about until later - one, there is no way a small (or any) truck could have made it through those woods from the back gravel road to where I was in just a few seconds without being heard way before, and another is that there were three people in the front of the cab, meaning it had a bench seat, which hadn't been made for a long, long time. I'm no car expert, but it looked very much like a 70's model Chevy Luv or something similar.

So I jumped out of the way, to the left, only it felt more like I floated than jumped. I could hear yelling, and as it started to bounce past a couple of feet from me I could see the passenger window rolled all the way down, and a chubby guy with a ball cap who was yelling 'Woohoo!' They were joyriding - on my property! They had almost run me over! By now I was yelling too - 'HEY! What are you doing??? STOP!!!' This guy looked directly where I was standing 2 feet from his face and looked right through me. I am certain he did not see me. As the truck bounced away they continued yelling 'Woohoo!', and I waited for the sound of their tires to hit the gravel road at the front and for them to follow that road to the left, which was the only way out of there. And as I watched it go, within another 30 seconds the sound of the motor faded out, the tail lights went out, and there was no sound of tires on gravel, it just vanished.

I started walking in that direction, towards where I thought the house was, and within seconds I was on the trail, it was raining, and there were lights in the distance. At that moment it hadn't hit me how weird the whole thing was, mostly I was thinking about how frightening that had been, how mad I was at the 'trespassers' and how the whole place needed to be fenced. When I told my husband what happened he went out when it got light and came back looking at me sorta sideways, and said no one had been there. When I looked for myself I was shocked. Around here, its not possible to drive through the woods or on a trail or in a pasture without leaving plenty of evidence; tire tracks can last for months. There were no tire tracks, no broken ferns, broken branches, nothing, anywhere.

At the time I had never even heard of 'time slips', and had no idea how to explain what happened. Since then I've read about them, and wonder if maybe that could explain what happened to me. Nothing similar has happened to me before or since.

Hi Annie,

Great story, very mysterious. I guess the first question I want to ask is - what do you know about the history of your property, especially in the 70's (as that seemed like the era of the truck)? Do you know if there was ever a path through those woods that would have been drivable in the past?

if the only anachronism is the 3-in-the-front configuration, it might surprise you that most pickups are still offered with a front bench, as base or option, those that arent are likely to have a 2+1 setup, so three up front is still a common setup except on smaller (mostly non-US) trucks

My first time posting here, please bear with me as I describe the area where this took place, as it is important in understanding what happened, I think in 2000 or 2001. I live in the Pacific Northwest on some acreage that includes forest. That forest includes big trees and smaller ones, ferns (literally thousands of them), and a lot of thick underbrush. The acreage is semi rural meaning that there are other homes within three to five acres away, so at night it is possible to see lights even standing in the middle of the woods in the back of the property. A dead end gravel road runs along the back, and another dead end gravel road runs along the front and ends in my driveway.

There is a dirt walking trail that goes around the back half which is all forest (the front is pasture). At night I would sometimes walk that trail without a flashlight, just for the challenge and to prove to myself that my night vision was still OK. Normally, I had no problems and could easily find the start of it.

Until one night. It was raining lightly, just a typical misty drizzle for here. After trying for at least five minutes to find the start of the trail, I noticed that the atmosphere seemed kind of dense, that it was no longer raining, and that it was really 'I literally can't see my hand in front of my face' dark with no lights visible anywhere. Then I heard the sound of a motor and something crashing through the woods, and in less than 30 seconds a small pickup was coming right at me. The first weird things here that I didn't think about until later - one, there is no way a small (or any) truck could have made it through those woods from the back gravel road to where I was in just a few seconds without being heard way before, and another is that there were three people in the front of the cab, meaning it had a bench seat, which hadn't been made for a long, long time. I'm no car expert, but it looked very much like a 70's model Chevy Luv or something similar.

So I jumped out of the way, to the left, only it felt more like I floated than jumped. I could hear yelling, and as it started to bounce past a couple of feet from me I could see the passenger window rolled all the way down, and a chubby guy with a ball cap who was yelling 'Woohoo!' They were joyriding - on my property! They had almost run me over! By now I was yelling too - 'HEY! What are you doing??? STOP!!!' This guy looked directly where I was standing 2 feet from his face and looked right through me. I am certain he did not see me. As the truck bounced away they continued yelling 'Woohoo!', and I waited for the sound of their tires to hit the gravel road at the front and for them to follow that road to the left, which was the only way out of there. And as I watched it go, within another 30 seconds the sound of the motor faded out, the tail lights went out, and there was no sound of tires on gravel, it just vanished.

I started walking in that direction, towards where I thought the house was, and within seconds I was on the trail, it was raining, and there were lights in the distance. At that moment it hadn't hit me how weird the whole thing was, mostly I was thinking about how frightening that had been, how mad I was at the 'trespassers' and how the whole place needed to be fenced. When I told my husband what happened he went out when it got light and came back looking at me sorta sideways, and said no one had been there. When I looked for myself I was shocked. Around here, its not possible to drive through the woods or on a trail or in a pasture without leaving plenty of evidence; tire tracks can last for months. There were no tire tracks, no broken ferns, broken branches, nothing, anywhere.

At the time I had never even heard of 'time slips', and had no idea how to explain what happened. Since then I've read about them, and wonder if maybe that could explain what happened to me. Nothing similar has happened to me before or since.

Welcome to the boards, Annie.

I would have been scared witless if that had happened to me.

Fascinating post there Annie, thank you for posting it. Haunted* roads/cars etc are a favourite of mine, they're pretty rare.

*For want of a better word.

It certainly does have all the elements of a classic time slip - how exciting!
Thanks for posting this.

That is an unusual tale. Unusual mainly because it occurred within your own property that you know like the back of your hand. We hear tons of stories of this kind of disorientation occurring in unfamiliar territory, which probably explains most of those. But this one is intriguing. It sounds like a dream state of consciousness, but this experience could be down to any number of neurological anomalies. It must have been incredibly alarming. I hope you find a positive answer to this conundrum.

There have been reports of similar experiences in historic houses and stately homes. The person experiences a replay of some scene from the past by standing in a certain place - or by touching a object.

An old nieghbour of mine was spooked once in Sherwood Forest. He saw a man on horse back that was dressed like a soldier from medieval times. As he got closer he stopped to observe this horse rider who was positioned in a hard to reach part of the forest. Both the soldier and horse vanished, just disappeared. The witness was glad it was daylight when this happened.

Welcome to FT AnnieOly and thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for the kind words. :)

Ulalume, when I bought this place in the late 80s, there were no roads, and the guy who originally owned it before them (a neighbor) never developed it either. The truck was definitely not on any road, they were off -roading through the woods as is fairly normal around here, and I could hear that little truck engine working really hard at making it through there.

HenryFort, I haven't seen any trucks newer than 80s like that, but doesnt mean they dont exist, anyways it for sure wasn't the only anomaly.

Skinny, I've never had any waking dreams that I'm aware of, actually I remember very few dreams in general, and when I do they are always fragmented and never seem real. This was early evening, so it wasn't late enough for me to have been sleeping. It was alarming to the point that I've never been able to force myself to walk that trail at night without a light when its raining, somehow I associated the rain with what happened, but of course I don't know whether that had anything to do with it.

could you have wandered further than you thought in the dark, onto neighbouring property perhaps, come across a pair of good old boys momentarily off-roading, and then wandered further than you thought home ? i mean, if you weren't where you thought, that would account for absence of tire-tracks

No, its not possible because, for one thing, the property was fenced on two sides with a gravel road in the back which I would have had to cross to get to another property. Another thing is I wasnt making any progress just before this happened, I'd take a few steps and then back up and move further to the left or right looking for the trail (its very difficult to walk in this type of woods at night without a light off the trail, too rain-foresty) And after the truck disappeared, I only walked a few steps before finding the trail, and was just a couple hundred yards or so from the house.

no distraction or odd state of mind or preoccupation for any reason, no disorientation with the rain, darkness ? just trying to think myself into your shoes ... no tracks that you yourself would have left ?

Yes, I understand why you're asking, they are all very reasonable questions. I was very focused on finding the trail and wondering why it wasn't where it should have been because as I explained before, its very difficult to walk without it in the dark, even when its light one has to focus. So no, not at all preoccupied. I didn't feel disoriented as far as direction, and knew exactly which direction I was facing at all times (at that moment I was facing the back of the property). I did feel disoriented as far as whether I was too far left or too far right of the trail. The rain is very normal here and wasn't a distraction. Although the ground is spongy enough for a vehicle to leave tracks that stay a long time its not enough to readily show footprints. I never thought to look for those anyway to see exactly where I was standing when this happened, although I have a pretty good idea where it was.

At the time it felt sort of like I was pushing against...not a wall really...but something, maybe like a bubble, that part is hard to explain.

At the time it felt sort of like I was pushing against...not a wall really...but something, maybe like a bubble, that part is hard to explain.

so it did feel weird at the time not just retrospectively ?

Did you feel like you couldn't go forward in the way you wanted and have to go back? I ask because it happened to me once.

Henry, yes it felt weird at the time, but not alarmingly enough to make me stop. More like a slowly growing awareness of weirdness that went from ' it stopped raining, to the trails not where its supposed to be, to now its pitch black instead of just dark.. '. Then when the truck showed up I remember thinking I had to jump out of the way and had the feeling of floating out of the way instead, and I realized at the time it wasn't normal, but by then I was quite distracted. I registered all of it as being off, but didn't really process the whole extent of it until later.

Iris, I felt like I could have kept moving forward but I didn't want to because it was too hard to navigate through there without a path.

Can I ask what the forest floor was like? I'm trying to picture a clearing wide enough for the vehicle to pass through.

Maybe you can get an idea of what its like from this picture of part of the trail, there is no clearing and the truck wasn't on the trail (I would have known I was standing on it). It was off roading through the woods which you can get an idea of to the right/left of the trail.

Attachments

• 63540-3.jpg
    63540-3.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 52
Pretty, thanks for the photo Annie.

That was the trail you were making your way down...
...as it started to bounce past a couple of feet from me..

Did it pass through trees...could you see that far in the darkness? I'm not doubting your story but a Chevy's quite wide and if it was a few feet from you I'm finding hard to imagine that part of a vehicle wouldn't collide with the trees.

Photos can be deceptive though.

Its part of the loop trail, not exactly where I was but close enough so you can see what the forest floor is like. It was a small pickup, and yes it would be possible to maneuver through there without hitting a tree, challenging, but I suppose that's why people think its fun - must be a local thing. Anyway, you can see why it would be a shock to get less than a minutes notice that a truck was maneuvering through there before it was on top of you.

Anyway, you can see why it would be a shock to get less than a minutes notice that a truck was maneuvering through there before it was on top of you.

putting myself back into your shoes for a moment i think i would have been more preoccupied with the "unseen bubble of resistance" and the "floating" aspects rather than the redneck encounter itself

For me, the awareness of these things was peripheral. Once I heard the truck everything happened too fast and I was much more preoccupied with avoiding being run over. I was really bewildered over how they could be there in the first place, but didn't exactly have the luxury of questioning it right then. Yes, rednecks indeed! We have a few around here still.

Annie, the "bubble" effect I have come across before in time slip cases, but the "floating" is new to me. I note that the person on the truck who looked in your direction didn't seem to see you. This implies that you weren't fully integrated into the scene (although I nearly got run over once by a woman going through a red light, came within 2 feet of her and she still didn't notice me!) and hence that you probably wouldn't have been hurt if it had been coming right at you. I haven't come across any cases where people were run over or otherwise injured in time slips. In one famous case in Liverpool an old fashioned tram materialised in the path of a car but it went right through him with just a slight electric sensation. In another case a girl in Leeds entered a time slip in a shop without noticing a person in present time just inside the door. Her friend called a warning too late and the girl went through the person without even noticing her. There may be some kind of fail-safe effect at work. It seems these events happen in areas of high earth energy, and I wonder if there are any ancient sites near you, stone circles, burial mounds, etc.?

Hi Carl, thank you for this interesting perspective. So recently I was reading about the high magnetic field anomalies around Sedona, and I don't remember exactly the details of what that means in technical terms, but I do remember that on the magnetic field map Sedona shows up as light purple or almost white. The area where I live near Olympia and a little ways south also shows up the same way on the same map, so maybe this type of magnetic anomaly is related to general weirdness? Also a few miles from me are the Mima mounds. No one claims to know for sure what caused them and of course the official story is they think it may have been glaciers, but those are the only unusual formations near here.

That's interesting, because I have a feeling other odd things have happened near Sedona, but I can't recall what. My interest in these cases began with a local mystery, where people sometimes see houses in places they don't exist, and afterwards they vanish. The local historian was convinced that there was a strange energy around, and he called in a dowser, who found several spots of unusual energy, and then nearly died when his pacemaker began to go crazy. I'll leave a link to a report I did on all this, which is now being updated and nearly finished. Anyway, it turns out that earth energy is actually a kind of field called a torsion field, caused when bodies rotate, and there is evidence that time slips and dimensional slips do occur in areas of high energy. And in ages past our ancestors built their circles and henges etc. in places of high energy, so there is a correlation. Anyway, I got almost obsessed with time slips and am working on a catalogue of cases (nearly 300 so far), and am still coming on new cases such as yours. Here's the link, my report has my email address in it, and if you want to get in touch I will no doubt have lots more annoying questions to ask you!
Here's that link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgyqhpxqcr1u3fw/THE ROUGHAM MYSTERY (3rd Revision).pdf?dl=0

Wow Carl, that's quite an impressive report, I will look forward to reading that later. For now I skimmed through and would categorize the type of experience I had as 'Type 3', physically there and able to move around but without direct interactions.
Sedona is in the US southwest and it along with several other places in that area seem to be ground zero for all things woo-woo in this country. There are high levels of quartz and it is a magnet (snark) for new-age types of people. And I don't really know about the quartz, but Olympia also has a very strong new-age vibe, and I have no idea why or if there is any connection to the magnetic field.

As the state capitol it would be expected to be kind of stodgy, and there is an element of that, but much stronger still is the energy from all the new age shops, old hippies, vegan friendly cafes, 70's VW vans and other cars covered in decals with earth friendly messages, and last but not least - and totally off topic - is one of my favorite reasons for living here - we invented the original procession of the species! http://procession.org - you're welcome. :)

OK, sorry for that diversion, couldn't help myself, back to the topic...
Here is a link to the magnetic anomaly map for Sedona (scroll down past the charts to see the map)
http://sedonanomalies.com
And the one for the US in general
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/magnetic/ this one is quite a lot of fun if you use Google Earth, you can go to any place in the US and see exactly whether an anomaly is there. I looked up my house, and it is one shade darker than the top lightest one, so it definitely has that magnetic field issue in the picture.
I wonder if you have access to a similar map for England?

Please feel free to ask me any question you like Carl :)

Annie, thanks a lot for all that info. I downloaded the Sedona site pages and also the video, will watch it later. Might be an idea to make contact with that researcher and ask if he's considered the torsion field factor. Any kind of vortex will generate a torsion wave. That seems to be how The Bell operated. And odd vortices have been observed in Rougham. I'm afraid that we don't have any maps for magnetic anomalies in the UK but you can download the raw data -- but without a suitable program to convert the data to a map format, they aren't much use. I also have a database of gravity anomalies in the UK, same story. As I mentioned, there seem to be no useful geological data about my area.

Going back to your time slip, I have come across a floating effect where a witness out driving felt that the bumps and potholes in the road had disappeared, as if the whole car was floating. The other case that mentioned a bubble was in the Hampshire Ghost Club site, under "Havant Time Slip." The witness said ..I felt I was inside some kind of bubble... sounds strange I know... almost looking from the outside in if that makes sense."

Subjective feelings during time slips are very varied and in many Type 4 cases there are no odd feelings at all.

Any way you might be able to pin down the date more accurately? in your diary or by reference to some other event around the same time? Might be possible to correlate it with some of those magnetic variation graphs.

A lot of New Age people are interested in ancient sites and energy dowsing, so maybe that's how they zeroed in on Olympia. Would be interesting to see if there are any energy lines near your house.

I am afraid I never heard of the Procession of the Species! It hasn't had any publicity in this country that I can recall. Unusual idea!

Last question, do you consider yourself a sensitive person? Have you encountered any ghosts or other phenomena (I was going to say unusual phenomena but over here virtually everyone knows someone who has seen ghosts, if they haven't seen one themselves.)

I can't remember the date or even the time of year, just that it wasn't all that cold so it probably wasn't winter.
And I wouldn't consider myself as a sensitive. Yes, I've had ghost encounters and a number of other experiences, some that I would label as spiritual more than general weirdness, but as you say I think that's fairly common. Certainly nothing like this ever happened before or has happened since.

Back