• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem
By James Morgan, Science reporter, BBC News

US physicists have studied the fluid dynamics of urine "splashback" - and found tips to help men and women with their accuracy and hygiene.
Using high-speed cameras, the team filmed jets of liquid striking toilet walls and studied the resulting spray.
Splashback was low when the jets were used close up with a narrow "angle of attack", said the Brigham Young University team.

They will present their research at an American Physical Society meeting.
"In response to harsh and repeated criticisms from our mothers and several failed relationships with women, we present the splash dynamics of a simulated human male urine stream," reads their conference abstract.

But there is a more serious side to the research.
The work is led by Prof Tadd Truscott and Randy Hurd of the "Splash Lab" at Brigham Young in Provo, Utah, who jokingly refer to themselves as "wizz kids".
"People ask me, are you serious? I tell them yes, this may involve 12-year-old humour, but it's also a real problem," Prof Truscott told BBC News.
"We've all been in disgusting toilets with puddles on the floor - these places are a breeding ground for bacteria."

For example, the detergents used to clean hospital toilets could actually increase the spray of disease-causing bacteria, by reducing the surface tension of water, according to a recent study.

Slow-motion video reveals the splashback when "urine" strikes toilet water
One might think the physics of aiming urination had already been summarised by the formula: "get it all in the bowl". But micturation is still a messier business than it needs to be, according to the research.

Taking measurements live "in the field" did not appeal to the scientists, so the duo built a urination simulator. The "Water Angle Navigation Guide" is a five-gallon bucket with hoses connected to two types of synthetic urethra.

The team fired coloured water at various target "toilets" at the velocity and pressure of average human urination.
Then, using a high-speed camera, they captured the moment of impact in remarkable visual detail.

Splashback was heightened by a phenomenon known as Plateau-Rayleigh instability, where a falling stream of liquid breaks up into droplets.
"The male urine stream breaks up about 6-7 inches outside the urethra exit," Mr Hurd explained.
"So by the time it hits the urinal, it's already in droplet form. And these droplets are the perpetrators of the splash formation on your khaki pants."

His advice? "The closer you are, the better. If you can get stream impact with the porcelain, it's a lot less chaotic."

Of course, in a domestic bathroom, distance from the toilet is governed chiefly by one variable: "to stand or sit".
"People are always arguing over which is better. Because when you sit close, you're also closer to getting wet," said Prof Truscott.
"In Germany there is a derogatory term 'sitzpinkler' for a man who sits down to pee. It means he's kind of a wuss.
"So we wanted to look at whether sitting down is really effective. What are the splash differences?"

To compare the two positions, the scientists gave rulers to their friends and sent them into the toilet.
"It turns out you are five times as far away when you stand up - and that's a pretty significant difference in impact velocity for those droplets of urine," said Mr Hurd.

Impact with the toilet water is captured in a video by the team.
"You can see the droplets create a large cavity in the water, which then collapses, causing even greater splashback. The amount of splash is considerable," Mr Hurd explained.
"It seems that sitting down is the best sure-fire way to avoid unwanted splashing in a traditional toilet."

Above all, he says, "the biggest thing you can do" to reduce splashback - sitting or standing - is to alter the "angle of attack".
Aiming directly at a vertical urinal wall - a 90 degree angle - causes a nasty kickback, as does aiming directly at the toilet water.
"Narrowing the angle really helps," said Mr Hurd. For a typical urinal, "best practice" means standing slightly to one side, and aiming downwards at a low angle of impact.
"This way you take advantage of both splash-reduction techniques," Hurd explains.

Prof Truscott encourages men and women to "be artistic" with their aim and find an angle to suit the particular facility they are faced with.
The designs of public toilets and home bathrooms does not always help us achieve 100% efficiency, he said.

"Most surfaces you pee into, such as porcelain, are hydrophilic, which is a disadvantage. The water spreads across them, creating a puddle to splash into," said Mr Hurd.
He believes that hydrophobic coatings will ultimately make toilets more hygienic, with important benefits for hospitals, schools, and workplaces.

The Brigham-Young team has been "inundated" with commercial products to reduce spray - such as fabric inserts, urinals with triangular fins, and toilet bowls with unusually sloping angles.
"Some work fantastically - others really don't work at all. It's almost worse than nothing," says Truscott.
"My favourite is painting a fly on the wall to indicate where you should aim. Unfortunately, some companies put that fly in the wrong place." :roll:

Sega has even developed a "Toylet" urinal game, installed in Tokyo Metro stations to award men points for accuracy.

But Prof Truscott says one of the most effective tricks is also the simplest - drop a few pieces of tissue into a toilet bowl to soften the blow.

The Splash Lab team plans to investigate further toilet designs and find "the optimal approach for urinal usage", removing some of the obstacles between men, women and bathroom harmony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24820279

I've been investigating this problem for over six decades, but it didn't take me all that time to work out that narrowing the angle of attack is a good idea! ;)

Climbers say Corrour's toilet is most remote loo on UK mainland

Hillwalkers and mountaineers have disputed a claim that a double award-winning loo is the remotest public toilet on the UK mainland.
Loo at the Light in Sutherland won two accolades at the 2013 Loo of the Year Awards.
People who look after the facility at Stoer Head Lighthouse said it was a great achievement for mainland UK's "remotest public toilet".

However, climbers say Corrour Bothy's toilet is more remote.
The historic bothy is at the foot of Cairn Toul and the Devil's Point in the Lairig Ghru in the Cairngorms.
Corrour Bothy is looked after by volunteers.
Walkers and climbers, and their representative body the Mountaineering Council of Scotland, have posted messages on Twitter in support of the Lairig Ghru loo.
They argue that it is remoter because the long trek to get to it has to be made on foot, rather than by car.

But Leigh Sedgley, who is involved in the running of Loo at the Light, said she hoped the fact that the Sutherland site was maintained and cleaned daily strengthened its claim to the title.

She added: "The Loo at the Light is now without doubt the remotest award winning loo on the mainland UK, and 'probably' the remotest public loo on the mainland UK too."

Whichever site is rightful holder of the claim, both share the aim of encouraging responsible toileting in the outdoors.
"Wild toileting" near Stoer Head had become an unpleasant and unhygienic problem. The public toilets were opened in August and paid for by money raised following a public appeal.
The site was named best Scottish eco-friendly and best car park toilet at the annual Loo of the Year Awards.

Stoer Head Lighthouse gets up to 10,000 visitors a year but the nearest toilet was about six miles (9km) away along a single track road at Clachtoll.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-25419246

Cambridge rail worker's health fears over excrement spray

Rail workers are being sprayed by human urine and faeces from passing trains, putting their health at risk.
A Network Rail worker said staff were "genuinely concerned" about excrement, urine and sanitary towels on the tracks.

Network Rail accepted that train toilets which emptied on the track were "outdated and unpleasant" for track workers.
Greater Anglia said it was hoping to phase out toilets which dump waste.

The man who works across the East Anglia region said: "A train would be coming and we'd stand back the recommended distance.
"It's not unusual to feel a spray, a kind of mist in the air. That's bad enough, but then you walk back to where you've been working on the tracks there's [faeces] everywhere."

Passenger waste is discharged from trains not fitted with retention tanks.
The majority of trains running through Cambridge station are operated by Greater Anglia, First Capital Connect and CrossCountry.
More than half of Greater Anglia's trains in the Cambridge area do not have retention tanks. The other two operators' trains do not discharge on to the track.

"We'd like to see them replaced or modified, but this requires effort from across the industry and funding," said a Network Rail spokesman.

The Department for Transport said the government recognised "this is a very unpleasant experience for railway workers and the public" and was "working closely" with Greater Anglia on a fleet upgrade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-25430657

This has always gone on but I thought it was being phased out years ago.

Coming from a railway town, I've heard lots of turds on the track stories.

It's all coming back to me…. :D

Stationmasters in the smaller country stations used to dread the express coming through as there'd sometimes be a little souvenir splattered across the front windows. :shock:

The P-Way workers who maintain the tracks used to be issued with caps which had a long 'veil' on the back to protect their necks from the sun. They also worked against flying poo.

My brother fondly remembers one long-haired ganger who refused to wear his. That man had a long, hot walk back to base one summer afternoon, when the gang refused to let him ride in the van. Something to do with his striking new hair ornament. :lol:

I knew that this kind of thing had been going on for years, but had no idea it was quite that bad.
Whenever I've waited for trains, I've often smelt a pungent smell coming from the tracks and seen what looks like toilet paper strewn about. There is definitely a very strong smell rather like coffee grounds - I wonder if the train's restaurant staff chuck coffee grounds out while the train is in the station? Or is that the smell of the shit?

Remind me not to try railway station coffee.

Is the Bear a Catholic?

Toilet pun calendar bid for Lydiard Millicent church
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-25484444

Toilet pun calendar

Church-goers hope to raise £50,000 for a toilet and a new boiler

A church is raising money to install a new loo by selling a calendar based on toilet puns.

The congregation at All Saints Church in Lydiard Millicent, Wiltshire, is aiming to raise £50,000 to replace an old boiler and install a washroom.

The Reverend Tricia Roberts said: "We were joking around and suddenly came up with this idea for toilet euphemisms."

She said they planned to put the new facilities at the back of the church building, which is Grade II* listed.

'Potty'
Ms Roberts said: "It's a problem when we have a service like a wedding or a funeral and people have to travel a distance as we haven't got any washroom facilities.

"And although we have a very hospitable pub in the village, it's not always open. We have a potty at the back of the church for younger members."

Toilet pun calendar
Welsh congregation members took part in 'take a leek' for March
She said each month of the calendar had its own euphemism and featured a photograph using members of the congregation.

"We started with 'pull the chain' and got the bell ringers to pull the chains. And for February, we have a photo of a couple who are 'sitting on the throne' with crowns on their heads."

She said other months used various well known sayings including "spend a penny", "the little boys room" and "powder your nose".

Oh, that's great, Lydiard Millicent is the village next to mine. I go though it every day to college.

(and I never knew about train loos, I always thought it a joke)

On certain European trains when you flush the lav and hold the handle town you can actually see the track through the trap-door whizzing away beneath you.

rjmrjmrjm said:
On certain European trains when you flush the lav and hold the handle town you can actually see the track through the trap-door whizzing away beneath you.
I've often wondered about the allotments running next to some sections of Dutch track. :lol:

I have a friend who has just change jobs. He is now a cleaner on Virgin Trains. If the lavvies get soiled he can choose whether to clean them or leave it to the main cleaners in the station. If he does clean one while the train is rolling he gets a bonus.

I will be asking him for any interesting train toilet stories. :lol:

Twitter storm in Russia over Sochi Olympics twin toilet

A BBC photo of a men's cubicle with twin toilets at a Sochi Olympics venue has caused a Twitter storm in Russia.
The picture from the Biathlon Centre tweeted by Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg was picked up by opposition leader Alexei Navalny among others.
Mr Navalny queried how the budget for the games, said to be $50bn (£30bn; 1,700bn roubles), had been spent.

Elsewhere, the photo caused disbelief and much hilarity, with some linking it to the recent debate over gay rights. :shock:

"Seeing double in the Gentlemen's Loo at the Olympic Biathlon Centre," our correspondent wrote in his original tweet.
Retweeting the photo, Mr Navalny commented: "This is a men's toilet in a Sochi Olympics media centre for 1.5bn roubles [£27m; $45m]."

"Two toilets - 28,000 roubles," wrote another blogger. "Olympic media centre - 1.5bn roubles. Global embarrassment - priceless." 8)

Others joked about Russia's controversial law on "gay propaganda", which led to calls from international campaigners to boycott February's games.
"This is how they understand the needs of sexual minorities," was one quip.

Noting there was one toilet roll between two in the cubicle, another tweeter wrote: "Tear off some paper before you sit down."

The Biathlon Centre was completed nearly two years ago, with investment from the Russian state gas company Gazprom.
"The building is one of the biggest and most comfortable structures of its kind in the world," a company representative told Russia's Interfax news agency at the time.

While the sight of twin toilets is unusual in European parts of Russia, it is not unknown, as Russian journalist Nikita Likhachev revealed, blogging about the story for Russian news website Tjournal.
Examples collected on his blog (in Russian) include facilities apparently to be found in other sports venues and even restaurants.

One photo shows a row of planks laid over a pit in a field. "Army toilet" runs the caption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617

I was more horrified that there was a bin in between the two loos. Does that mean that it's one of those "no flushy" toilet paper scenarios? Gack!

At least there are actual sit down toilets rather than the horrific footprint doodahs that are commonly found scattered around Europe. The logistics of trying to actually utilise those things don't bear thinking about! Perfectly fine for a blokey, but for ladies, well:
"We have the engine capacity, but not the steering" - Victoria Wood. :lol:

Packet helps man trapped in pub toilet
12:30pm Thursday 13th February 2014

HERE at the Falmouth Packet we receive many phone calls throughout a working day, but none quite as strange as one answered last week.

No doubt using his mobile phone from within a cubicle, the caller asked whether we were the Packet and then pleaded for someone to come rescue him from the upstairs’ toilet.

Rather bemused, as The Packet does not have an upstairs toilet, or indeed an upstairs 8) , our staff member Charlotte Reed soon ascertained that the unlucky guy had somehow managed to lock himself in a toilet at The Packet Station, or Wetherspoons as more commonly known, and not here at The Packet newspaper. :D

After explaining his mistake to him, Charlotte made sure the unfortunate man was not left in the loo any longer than necessary by calling the pub and alerting staff as to his predicament.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11 ... t/?ref=mry

escargot1 said:
I have a friend who has just changed jobs. He is now a cleaner on Virgin Trains. If the lavvies get soiled he can choose whether to clean them or leave it to the main cleaners in the station. If he does clean one while the train is rolling he gets a bonus.

I will be asking him for any interesting train toilet stories. :lol:

My nephew's friend used to do this job and claims that the strangest thing he ever found on a train was a roasted chicken jammed down a lavatory pan with a hockey stick stuck into it.

escargot1 said:
My nephew's friend used to do this job and claims that the strangest thing he ever found on a train was a roasted chicken jammed down a lavatory pan with a hockey stick stuck into it.

:lol:
Sounds like someone disgruntled with climate change theory. 'There's your hockey stick'...

'Sexist' toilets policy to be reviewed
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-26664796

Public toilets, Station Lane, Witney, Oxon

The 10p charge for using all cubicles could rise to 20p from 1 April

A local authority's "sexist" policy of charging women to use its toilets but not men using urinals is to be reviewed.

West Oxfordshire District Council charges 10p to use its toilet cubicles but men can use urinals for nothing.

Women sent "pee for free" protest letters to the council and garnered petition signatures from as far as Russia, Germany and Italy.

Councillors will consider replacing all the urinals with cubicles later.

'Equal opportunities'
The council charges 10p per visit to cubicles at 12 of its 13 public conveniences.

But at the four sites where there are urinals men can use the facilities at no cost.

Residents have complained about "unfair discrimination" since 2011 and invited others to sign and send a letter requesting West Oxfordshire District Council "notice their obligation to treat men and women with equality".

Johanna Hall from Witney said she felt the discrepancy was "unfair and sexist", while Stephen Merauld from Witney said his partner was "inconvenienced because of this charge" by "not having the right change".

Setareh Campbell from Oxford said: "If the council have an equal opportunities policy why aren't they sticking to it?"

Environment cabinet member David Harvey blamed the discrepancy on "ancient" legislation from the 1936 Public Health Act that allowed local authorities to charge for cubicles but not urinals.

However, councils have been able to charge for urinals since an amendment in the 2008 Sex Discrimination Act came into force.

Councillors will also consider increasing the charge for cubicles to 20p per use from 1 April.

The council said the reason for the proposed price hike was because the revenue generated from charging for 2012-13 was £11,606 but that the cost of running the public conveniences was more than £165,000.

Toilet tech fair tackles global sanitation woes
March 23rd, 2014 in Technology / Energy & Green Tech

In this Friday, March 21, 2014 photo, an exhibitor from Loughborough University demonstrates the use of a toilet during Reinvent The Toilet Fair in New Delhi, India. Scientists who accepted the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's challenge to reinvent the toilet showcased their inventions in the Indian capital Saturday. The primary goal: to sanitize waste, use minimal water or electricity, and produce a usable product at low cost. India is by far the worst culprit, with more than 640 million people defecating in the open and producing a stunning 72,000 tons of human waste each day - the equivalent weight of almost 10 Eiffel Towers or 1,800 humpback whales. (AP Photo/Tsering Topgyal)

Who would have expected a toilet to one day filter water, charge a cellphone or create charcoal to combat climate change?

These are lofty ambitions beyond what most of the world's 2.5 billion people with no access to modern sanitation would expect. Yet, scientists and toilet innovators around the world say these are exactly the sort of goals needed to improve global public health amid challenges such as poverty, water scarcity and urban growth.

Scientists who accepted the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's challenge to reinvent the toilet showcased their inventions in the Indian capital Saturday. The primary goal: to sanitize waste, use minimal water or electricity, and produce a usable product at low cost.

The World Bank estimates the annual global cost of poor sanitation at $260 billion, including loss of life, missed work, medical bills and other related factors. India alone accounts for $54 billion - more than the entire GDP of Kenya or Costa Rica.

India is by far the worst culprit, with more than 640 million people defecating in the open and producing a stunning 72,000 tons of human waste each day - the equivalent weight of almost 10 Eiffel Towers or 1,800 humpback whales.

Pooping in public is so acceptable that many Indians will do it on sidewalks or in open fields. Gaze out the window of any Indian train and face a line of bare bottoms doing their business on the tracks. Meanwhile, diarrheal diseases kill 700,000 children every year, most of which could have been prevented with better sanitation.

"In the West, such things are a nuisance, but people don't lose their lives," said Christopher Elias, president of global development at the Gates Foundation. "People don't immediately realize the damage done by infections coming from human waste."

India has been encouraging rural communities to build toilets, and last year launched a $1.6 billion program to help. But building sanitation systems in developing countries is not easy. Flush toilets are not always an option. Many poor communities live in water-stressed areas. Others lack links to sewage pipes or treatment plants.

In this Friday, March 21, 2014 photo, an exhibitor demonstrates the use of a toilet tap where water is recycled and reused, during Reinvent The Toilet Fair in New Delhi, India. Scientists who accepted the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's challenge to reinvent the toilet showcased their inventions in the Indian capital Saturday. The primary goal: to sanitize waste, use minimal water or electricity, and produce a usable product at low cost. India is by far the worst culprit, with more than 640 million people defecating in the open and producing a stunning 72,000 tons of human waste each day - the equivalent weight of almost 10 Eiffel Towers or 1,800 humpback whales. (AP Photo/Tsering Topgyal)

To be successful, scientists said, the designs being exhibited at Saturday's Toilet Fair had to go beyond treating urine and feces as undesirable waste, and recognize them as profit-generating resources for electricity, fertilizer or fuel.

"Traditionally, people have gone into communities and said, 'Let's dig you a pit.' That's seen as condescension, a token that isn't very helpful. After all, who is going to clean that pit?" said M. Sohail, professor of sustainable infrastructure at Loughborough University in the U.K.

The designs are mostly funded by Gates Foundation grants and in various stages of development, though others not created as part of the Gates challenge were also exhibiting on Saturday.

Some toilets collapsed neatly for easy portability into music festivals, disaster zones or illegal slums. One emptied into pits populated by waste-munching cockroaches and worms.

One Washington-based company, Janicki Industries, designed a power plant that could feed off the waste from a small city to produce 150 kilowatts of electricity, enough to power thousands of homes.

The University of the West of England, Bristol, showcased a urine-powered fuel cell to charge cellphones overnight.

Another team from the University of Colorado, Boulder, brought a system concentrating solar power through fiber optic cables to heat waste to about 300 degrees Celsius. Aside from killing pathogens, the process creates a charcoal-like product called biochar useful as cooking fuel or fertilizer.
"At the core are really interesting scientific principles, so translating this into scientific advances that people can relate to is really exciting," said one of the project leaders, Karl Linden, professor of environmental engineering in Boulder. "Biochar is an important subject for scientists at the moment, since it can be used to sequester carbon in the soil for 1,000 years or more."

In this Friday, March 21, 2014 photo, an exhibitor displays a Biochar, a charcoal-like product made from human waste, used as cooking fuel or fertilizer, at the Reinvent The Toilet Fair in New Delhi, India. Scientists who accepted the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's challenge to reinvent the toilet showcased their inventions in the Indian capital Saturday. The primary goal: to sanitize waste, use minimal water or electricity, and produce a usable product at low cost. India is by far the worst culprit, with more than 640 million people defecating in the open and producing a stunning 72,000 tons of human waste each day - the equivalent weight of almost 10 Eiffel Towers or 1,800 humpback whales. (AP Photo/Tsering Topgyal)

A team from Beijing Sunnybreeze Technologies Inc. also brought a solar-biochar system, but with the solar panels heating air that will dry sludgy human waste into nuggets that are then heated further under low-oxygen conditions to create biochar.

"We are trying to build a system simple enough to be fixed in the village," technical adviser John Keating said.

One company from the southern Indian state of Kerala was not as concerned with providing toilets as with cleaning them. Toilets are more common in Kerala than they are in much of the country, but no one wants to clean them, said Bincy Baby of Eram Scientific Solutions.

"There is a stigma. The lowest of the low are the ones who clean the toilets," Baby said. Eram's solution is a coin-operated eToilet with an electronic system that triggers an automated, self-cleaning mechanism. With 450 prototypes now looped into sewage systems across India, electrical engineers are lining up for jobs as toilet technicians. "Now, they're proud of their jobs."

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

"Toilet tech fair tackles global sanitation woes." March 23rd, 2014. http://phys.org/news/2014-03-toilet-tec ... lobal.html

Those turd pictures look very...polished. :D

Toilet mix-up triggered Australian plane hijack scare
Passenger banged against cockpit door on Bali-bound flight

An Australian passenger mistook the cockpit door for the toilet, triggering Friday’s hijack scare on a Virgin Australia flight from Brisbane to the Indonesian holiday island of Bali, police said.

Matt Lockley told Bali police after his arrest that he banged on what he thought was the toilet door for a last-minute bathroom break before the Boeing 737-800 aircraft landed.

The door was actually the cockpit door and the pilot, Neil Thomas Cooper, responded by alerting Indonesian traffic controllers of a possible hijacking. Crew members then seized Mr Lockley and handcuffed him.

A Virgin Australia flight has landed safely in Bali after the pilot initially reported a hijack’ attempt. Australian flight lands in Bali after ‘hijack’ report
“The flight was about to land and (Lockley) was sleeping. The flight attendant woke him up and he went to the toilet. At the time, he thought the cockpit door was the toilet door,” said Heri Wiyanto, Bali police spokesman.

Virgin Australia said the 137 passengers and seven crew on board were never in any danger during the flight.

“We can confirm there was a disruptive passenger on board and the pilot notified authorities in advance of landing, as per standard operating procedures,” said Virgin spokeswoman Jacqui Abbott.

After taking blood samples from Mr Lockley, police said the Australian had taken several painkillers, including four Panadol and two Voltaren pills. Police initially had said he was drunk.

Mr Lockley, who was travelling to visit his Indonesian wife, was shown on local television shortly after the flight surrounded by armed security and a mob of reporters at the airport. Copies of his identification cards were also shown to the media.

He has not made any public comments about the incident and remains in police custody.

Police said Mr Lockley “was still depressed, so he needs to rest”.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/as ... -1.1775325

An old couple who live here (well, all of us who live here are old) have a family (son-in-law and daughter, plus about three kids and a dog) who visit two or three times a week. Because that's a crowd for the small flats here, they usually gather in the lounge, or Common Room.

I often like to use the CR for the computer or the TV, so the noise they make, and outside doors left open, are often quite irritating.

But the really annoying problem is that after one of these visits, someone has left a 'floater' in the gent's toilet. And a persistant floater, that survives several flushes!

This has happened often enough now for me to be sure these people are responsible. But what can I do about it? It's a delicate matter to raise in conversation!

If the FTMB consitutes a crowd, I'd like to try sourcing the Wisdom of Crowds - any suggestions?

Remove it with a large spoon, wrap it several sheets of toilet paper, replace in toilet and flush. :)

Ronson8 said:
Remove it with a large spoon, wrap it several sheets of toilet paper, replace in toilet and flush. :)

Ewww, no...I wouldn't remove it with a large spoon at all!

I agree with Ronson about the paper, though. Put down plenty of loo paper over it. When you flush, it should wrap around the turd and create extra drag.

Or...you could just leave it for a long time. Eventually, it'll become waterlogged and lose some of its flotational ability.

Ronson8 said:
That's exactly the sort of scenario I want to avoid! (Delicate flower that I am!)

Perhaps you could just happen to accidentally leave your Sink the Bismark DVD on top of the cistern and see if they take the hint.

OneWingedBird said:
Perhaps you could just happen to accidentally leave your Sink the Bismark DVD on top of the cistern and see if they take the hint.
Nice idea, But I'd have to leave it there before the deed was done...

And it might be too subtle to get its message to the real culprit anyway.

Perhaps a written message is called for...?

Floaters? ..... just boil a kettle and pour it over that bad boy .... but remember to hold your nose. I've learned that part the hard way. Or you could scoop it out with your bare hands and throw it out of the window like a past friend did once. :lol:

Back