• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Top Hat Man

Here's another still photo from the film, taken from an extensive review article. This pic illustrates the character's ominous and anonymous motif.

Scary4.JPG

SOURCE: http://nothingbutthenight.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-childrens-film-foundation.html

..... and here's a pic of Peter Cook from 1978, rocking that same spooky silhouette. It's a publicity photo for a BBC Radio Christmas comedy/panto called 'Black Cinderella Two Goes East', produced by John Lloyd and Douglas Adams, in which he played Prince Disgusting. I assume he was meant to be the antithesis of the traditional Prince Charming (yeah, call me Sherlock) and no doubt the safety pins in his cravat and in the brim of his top hat give a clue to the character being a nod to it being the height of the Punk era.

IMG-20210315-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Having watched it again tonight, I think we can name and shame the evil uncle figure in the 1973 television film of Lost Hearts as another tall-hat, abuser-type person!

That film gets more creepy by the year! :oops:

Anybody else see a bearded Rowan Atkinson in that bottom picture?

C'mon, he looks a little bit like him... doesn't he?
Looks a little like a poster on this very board!

Do any contributors here drop into the ‘Derelict Places’ forum once in a while? It is a place for urban explorers and such, some very interesting locations and often excellent photography. Anyway… Recently there has been a lively thread under the heading ‘Strange experiences’, where members have been recounting stories about all manner of spooky shenanigans in abandoned buildings.
Of particular relevance here though is a story posted yesterday by “MrsVance” who relates a tale of an encounter in a derelict swimming baths with - you guessed it - a top-hat wearing shadow man! See:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/threads/strange-experiences.38300/page-2#post-367584

Well, this has terrified me. Want to know why? Gather round.

You see, we have a family legend. My grandfather died when he was only around 35 - Gran had to bring up my mum and my uncle. When they were still young, she was offered a brand new council estate house in a quiet part of Sheffield.

Cutting to the chase, mum still tells the story about the time she went upstairs one evening and met the proverbial man-upon-the-stair. Shall I quote her?

"He looked like the man on the Sandeman's bottle"

He vanished away, of course. My family are all tough as old boots, especially when it comes to spooks, so she just shrugged it off. Gran was always of the opinion that it was her husband popping back, but Mum is adamant it was nothing like him.

You see my spooked feelings here, right? The bereavement? The description? The stairs? The same family set-up? It's odd, isn't it?
I’m back after a break from here (sometimes I need to step away from paranormal stuff as it becomes a bit pervasive and I honestly believe we can attract things by concentrating on them). Re reading all the of the comments on here after a break I am astounded by the kindness shown by everyone and the fact that I am believed and for that I say thank you. incredibly yes your story snd mine sound familiar and have similarities.

I’m back after a break from here (sometimes I need to step away from paranormal stuff as it becomes a bit pervasive and I honestly believe we can attract things by concentrating on them).

I believe there to be some truth to this. Sometimes when you immerse yourself in this field a little too much the world can seem a little too dark and ominous at times and strange things can and do happen. Sometimes as you say, taking a break, simply enjoying the sun and smelling the flowers, so to speak, is the perfect antidote.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the top-hat wearing Baron Samedi of Haitian voodoo doesn't appear to have been mentioned on this thread yet. I remember having nightmares as a kid about the character - as portrayed in Live and Let Die back in 1973 by the late Geoffrey Holder.

I believe there to be some truth to this. Sometimes when you immerse yourself in this field a little too much the world can seem a little too dark and ominous at times and strange things can and do happen. Sometimes as you say, taking a break, simply enjoying the sun and smelling the flowers, so to speak, is the perfect antidote.
True. I watch and listen to a lot of comedy in the evenings to ensure I have a good laugh before going to bed otherwise I'm in for a restless night....

I mean...I have another story that might be relevant but it's a tag long. If people don't think it is, mods can chuck it somewhere else.
I've been on these boards for nearly 20 years, in various shapes, so I might well have told this one before. I'm reminded of it now as my family immediately made the connection with my mum's odd incident.

When I was about 14 or 15, I would often walk over to a friend's house, about two miles away. We lived in a built up area (still near the estate where Gran lived), but at night, the main street was largely deserted. Lots of brightly lit neon and shop displays, which only went to disguise how empty the place was after dark. Now, it's all bars and takeaways, but back then (probably about 1987/8), it was silent, with very little traffic for such a main road (A61 leading into Sheffield).

So, walking to my friend's place, I'm in a rather hyper-vigilant mode. It wasn't the toughest neighbourhood, but it had problems and a fair few issues around violent crime, hence I keep my wits about me. And to my dismay, I see two local...ahem..."characters" coming the opposite way. These two are the classic little angry bloke/big tough bloke combo. They're the same age as me, but given that I'm a queer, disabled geek without much money, we were not predisposed to get on. There's no way out of this; crossing the road admits fear and will inevitably lead to a confrontation. I'm just going to have to try and face it down. I know that the very least I'm going to get is a load of verbal abuse.

Except, when we meet up, they just stare at me oddly. The little one is silent for once. The big fella just looks nervous and says "Alreight? as we do up here. And they go on their way. And I sweatily continue onwards, with frequent glances over my shoulder.

Next day at school, I see the big one. He tells me that the little one wanted to start something but they didn't, for reasons that become obvious when he asks "Was that your dad?"

"Who?"

"That bloke you were walking with. Him in the big black hat. Reminded me of Freddie Krueger."

Remember how I said I kept looking around? I'm absolutely certain I was alone. The streets were empty apart from the three of us. And when I told my parents, they immediately reminded me about the Man in the Hat on the stairs. So I'm quite fond of him myself.
Did this happen on the A61 North of Sheffield, leading through the Parsons Cross area?

Not exactly Hat Man relevant, but your memories of childhood 'things' reminded me of my brother's scary imaginary friend who used to visit him and hated mashed potatoes.

It was Ray Davies of the Kinks. Yes, my brother's imaginary friend was a famous pop star of the day. He lived with us (well, in my brother's imaginings he did) in a cupboard behind the television, which was also our toy cupboard. He'd accompany us on day trips and, as previously mentioned, refuse to eat mashed potato.

My brother was slightly scared of him but it didn't stop him hanging around...
And you know his brother, Dave, has had UFO sightings...

Not exactly Hat Man relevant, but your memories of childhood 'things' reminded me of my brother's scary imaginary friend who used to visit him and hated mashed potatoes.

It was Ray Davies of the Kinks. Yes, my brother's imaginary friend was a famous pop star of the day. He lived with us (well, in my brother's imaginings he did) in a cupboard behind the television, which was also our toy cupboard. He'd accompany us on day trips and, as previously mentioned, refuse to eat mashed potato.

My brother was slightly scared of him but it didn't stop him hanging around...
Here is Ray Davies as one of the top hat-wearing undertakers who humorously 'lose' a corpse -

Back