• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Diversity: Different Types / Shapes Seen Over The Years

72 years later and we still don’t the answer to both these photographs and UFOs in general. in 1950 it must have felt as contact was imminent.
I think I felt that way growing up in the eighties. It takes years of disappointment and lack of progress before these sightings become less compelling, and for it to feel as though conclusive evidence will always be out of our reach. Now NASA are starting an investigation, which should be exciting, but all I think is, 'What more have they got to go on that militaries, and even enthusiasts, haven't already pored over?' (Assuming NASA's investigation isn't just another way for the authorities to say, 'Look, we're looking into it and haven't found anything,' while they negotiate with Zeta Reticulans for rights to harvest our poor for meat and slavery.)

I think I felt that way growing up in the eighties. It takes years of disappointment and lack of progress before these sightings become less compelling, and for it to feel as though conclusive evidence will always be out of our reach. Now NASA are starting an investigation, which should be exciting, but all I think is, 'What more have they got to go on that militaries, and even enthusiasts, haven't already pored over?' (Assuming NASA's investigation isn't just another way for the authorities to say, 'Look, we're looking into it and haven't found anything,' while they negotiate with Zeta Reticulans for rights to harvest our poor for meat and slavery.)
It felt like we were very close to an answer in the 1990s as thee was momentum with the abduction movement but the whole thing just seemed to get seized upon by a soft drug subculture* who starting posting those alien grey images all over the nascent internet and popular media and suddenly the decent cases started to dry up. I’ve said it before on here, but we no longer have UFO and occupant cases here in the UK, yet in the 70s-90s there were widespread, what happened?

* the dope smoking grey alien in the ‘Paul’ movie is the epitome of this

72 years later and we still don’t the answer to both these photographs and UFOs in general. in 1950 it must have felt as contact was imminent.
There must surely be evidence of some type existing in this huge world, and let's not forget that governing agencies won't even give us all the documents available on the JFK assassination -
So I would assume there are many other things being withheld from us.
Which brings to mind something I haven't read up on in quite some time, people having 'implants' removed from their bodies, which they claim were from alien abductions.
May sound far-fetched, but something is definitely using our air space.

Illinois 1950:

1658256302446.png

Passaic NJ 1952:

1658256372897.png

Ohio 1932:

1658256413635.png

China 1942:

1658256449512.png

Well Ronnie Jersey,

Back in the early 1990s there was an area more farmland than houses.

I had to pick up my younger daughter who stayed late at school to practice a school play.

This particular road for a short way came close to a small stream and there was this UFO slowly following this stream.

I almost did not notice it because it was like dirty metal and it did not reflect light, it seemed to absorb light.

It was clam shaped not the traditional shapes.

I was the only one on this road so no witnesses.

It was gone when I came back through this road.

I never doubted what I saw.

Interesting, but they are completely missing the airship sightings of the 1800's, years before.

Here's a detailed listing of worldwide UFO sightings from 1800 -1899, it goes on for pages, really stunning if you have some time:

https://www.thinkaboutitdocs.com/1800-1824-ufo-alien-sightings/#:~:text=1800 – 1809: UFO & Alien Sightings. Summary:,masts. A strong odour of sulphur was noted.
Absolutely, the mystery airship sightings are no less important that Kenneth Arnold's sighting, Roswell or Rendlesham or any other 'modern' UFO report. I feel it is important that we don't consign them to history as I personally feel you can't see the whole UFO picture without including these and even earlier reports.

Incidentally, I am finally reading 'UFO Landings UK' by Philip Mantle which has recently been released on Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere). Delighted that there are some intriguing post-2000 UK UFO landing reports I was not previously aware of. Just about to get stuck into the older cases and thus far I highly recommend this book.

Incidentally, I am finally reading 'UFO Landings UK' by Philip Mantle which has recently been released on Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere). Delighted that there are some intriguing post-2000 UK UFO landing reports I was not previously aware of. Just about to get stuck into the older cases and thus far I highly recommend this book.
I must get that book also, along with 'Beyond Pascagoula'!

Absolutely, the mystery airship sightings are no less important that Kenneth Arnold's sighting, Roswell or Rendlesham or any other 'modern' UFO report. I feel it is important that we don't consign them to history as I personally feel you can't see the whole UFO picture without including these and even earlier reports.
And the strange airship sightings of medieval times, where UFO's (or what appears to be UFO's) actually appear in their paintings.
These were unsophisticated, and probably not well educated, people who were mystified by these vehicles and associated them with religion, being that they were flying in their skies.
What else could they possibly be painting, and they are similar to our modern day UFO's.
And going even further back in time to the cave dwellers, who painted some very odd things on their walls.

And the strange airship sightings of medieval times, where UFO's (or what appears to be UFO's) actually appear in their paintings.
These were unsophisticated, and probably not well educated, people who were mystified by these vehicles and associated them with religion, being that they were flying in their skies.
What else could they possibly be painting, and they are similar to our modern day UFO's.
And going even further back in time to the cave dwellers, who painted some very odd things on their walls.
There are some fascinating pre-1945 UK landing cases in the Mantle book

Yeah, I've run into those and sure, the academic stance is "that's not a UFO, in terms of what you mean when you say UFO" but like...
so are the art images completely unknown? I've never found any analysis that claims to have any explanation for what is being depicted. Not that that means they are UFOs, but it would be nice to know what they actually are.
(then again I've yet to see 'will o' the wisp' on video too. If you look for it on youtube, you only get people lighting up swamp gas. Never a naturally occurring floaty ball.)

so are the art images completely unknown? I've never found any analysis that claims to have any explanation for what is being depicted.
Actually, just about every medieval depiction of a so-called UFO has been comprehensively explained. Mostly they are obscure religious iconography that we don't readily recognise nowadays, or simply mundane objects misinterpreted.

Here, for instance, is a so-called UFO in a painting from 1460; in fact it is a cardinal's hat, laying on the ground at the foot of Jesus' cross. The straps that hold the hat on can clearly be seen in the original.
La_Tebaide_1460_Red_Saucer_.jpg

Tebaide_SanGerolamo_part.jpg

-------------------
Here's a UFO sending down a laser beam (apparently) in a picture from 1486 by Carlo Crivelli.

Annunciazione_Crivelli.jpg

Rather than an alien spacecraft, this is a well-known type of religious iconography depicting the vortex of ranks of angels, which can be seen in a great many paintings around this time. Here it is in detail, showing the beam of divine inspiration that shines down upon the Virgin Mary, via the Dove of the Holy Spirit. Nothing to do with aliens at all.
Crivelli_Angeli.jpg

The Heavenly vortex is a very commonplace icon, particularly associated with the Annunciation, and has often been mistaken for an alien spacecraft by people who have not studied medieval art. Here are more examples.

madonna_lotto.jpg

Signorelli_annunciazione_r.jpg

Annunciazione_Beato.jpg

Here's an image that UFO proponents have identified as an alien satellite. It does slightly resemble the early Sputnik satellite, but it should be obvious to anyone that the Sputnik was a very basic and primitive spacecraft, and hardly the sort of thing an advanced alien civilisation would build.
Trinita_Salimbeni_Montalcin.jpg

In fact this image shows God the Father and Jesus, dividing up a spherical atlas of the heavens using wands or pointers. This is a type of celestial map that many artists and scholars would have been familiar with at the time.
Trinita_Salimbeni_SoleLuna.jpg

These atlases of the heavens have a very long history, dating back to Roman times with the famous Farnese Atlas. Note that the stars are actually depicted 'inside-out' on atlases of this kind, an ingenious technique.
360px-Atlas_%28Farnese_Globe%29.jpg

It would be rather difficult to dismiss the Nuremberg Germany ufo sighting of 1561:

1659902130232.png

1659902177715.png

And here's another image that is supposed to show two UFOs which were 'observing' the Crucifixion; perhaps time travellers?
Mtskheta.jpg

Nope; not time travellers- these are stylised depictions of the Sun and the Moon, which were supposedto have both illuminated Christ on the Cross at the same time.

These same icons appear on numerous depictions of the Crucifixion.
olympias_crucifixion_part.jpg

Cruci_book_r.jpg

arte_russa_part.jpg

In case anyone is interested, here is the story of that strange Nuremberg Germany ufo sighting:

UFO Battle of Nuremberg, Germany in 1561: Mass UFO sighting in ancient times​

Many people think that the UFO phenomenon or the events related to them are only recent, however, there is an event dating back to the UFO battle of Nuremberg in 1561.
Apart from the theories based on times of ancient civilizations such as the Sumerians, which have left behind writings and drawings where it can be verified that they had the presence of beings, flying objects, and events that had no explanation.

There is a documented news story about an event that occurred in the skies of Germany more than 450 years ago.
The story dates back to 1561 where a very strange event is described when the sun rose on April 14 of that year, in the German city of Nuremberg.

Between 4 to 5 on the morning of April 14, 1561, there was a terrifying apparition in the Sun, which had never been witnessed, many witnesses of the city, men and women at the doors of their houses, in the field, they have witnessed it.
In the beginning, they appeared in the sky, in the center of the Sun, 2 semicircular arches, their color was blood red, also above and below the sun they were blood red, there was also a round ball of ferrous color, it was off on the one hand and the other black, annular discs.
Likewise, on the sides, blood-red balls, 3 in a line, and 4 in the shape of a square and others alone, between the balls there were blood-red crosses and their blood-red strips were getting wider and wider.
In addition to the spheres, cylindrical structures shot the fireballs and they fell to the burning ground, producing, in turn, a huge vapor that disappeared everything on the ground where they fell.

https://www.infinityexplorers.com/ufo-battle-of-nuremberg/

It would be rather difficult to dismiss the Nuremberg Germany ufo sighting of 1561:
That is not the case. We've discussed the Nurnberg event on this forum before. Contemporary illustrations of ice halo phenomena look very similar to the Nurnberg illustration, although there seems to have been a certain amount of exaggeration going on in 1561;
fefe.jpg

Note that none of the illustrations of then Nurnberg event were made by first-hand witnesses, and none of the descriptions seem to have been first-hand accounts either, so we can't be entirely sure of their accuracy.

I personally have no doubt that they depict various parhelia phenomena, especially since the Sun in that image seems to be surrounded by typical circumsolar arcs.

From the article I posted above:

"Apart from the theories based on times of ancient civilizations such as the Sumerians, which have left behind writings and drawings where it can be verified that they had the presence of beings, flying objects, and events that had no explanation."

We can no longer ask the Sumerians exactly what they saw and experienced, but they have left us their testimony.
UFOs are not confined to our time period alone, I posted earlier a listing of UFO sightings and experiences going all the way back to the BC times.

I personally have no doubt whatsoever that they have been visiting our planet for millenia.
And ancient people were not stupid, they also questioned what they were seeing in their skies, as we do.

Here's a comparison between some common circumsolar halos and the depiction of the Sun in that image. I find the parallels quite striking, especially when compared to other contemporary depictions of solar haloes and parhelia.

parhelia.png

"Apart from the theories based on times of ancient civilizations such as the Sumerians, which have left behind writings and drawings where it can be verified that they had the presence of beings, flying objects, and events that had no explanation."
This quote is a little difficult to parse, but the beliefs of the Sumerians are very complex, fascinating and difficult to interpret from our current point of view. None of their accounts point to contact with extraterrestrials, however.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison between some common circumsolar halos and the depiction of the Sun in that image. I find the parallels quite striking, especially when compared to other contemporary depictions of solar haloes and parhelia.

View attachment 57840
Back then the sky be light up with stars as no street lights etc but go to Seahouse and all the starts look for same plus what time was the German incident ?

The last part of the Nuremburg account seems to describe a crepuscular/anticrepuscular ray;
After such events something like a black spear, the shaft from sunrise [east] and the head towards sundawn [west], has been seen with big thickness and length.
This whole event seems to be little short of a textbook account of various different kinds of atmospheric optics.

An anticrepuscular ray.
anticrepuscular.jpg

Back