• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs for the gull-ible

geiger25

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Emp edit: Split off from another thread and follows on from this post:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 065#595065 ]

THat site is ok but the photographs are naff.
For instance, look at this blatant pic of a gull flying past. Complete with eye and beak! (It won't let me post the pic so here's the link!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to immediately see what it is, yet they put it on there as though it's a space ship! ghoststudy.com anyone?

vi_nov2005_005.jpg

Give me strength! :laughing:

EDITED TO ADD: I've added an outline so you can see it more clearly. The curved bit above the head is the right wing.

seagull.jpg

Same UFO, different location

ufoevidence.org has two photos of what seems to be the same object.

The first one was taken in Dorset, UK in November 2004, while the second was taken in Canada in November 2005.

It certainly looks like the same thing to me. Can anyone identify what it is?

The Vancouver Island photo is generally dismissed as a seagull photographed from an unusual angle. You can make out the eye and the beak fairly clearly.

The extremely 'swept back' position of the wings looks rather odd to me, but then again I know nothing about birds. I suppose it might be worth testing the theory by posting the picture on a birders forum and seeing what people make of it.

Well, they sure look like birds to me.
Notice that in both cases the photographer did not notice anything while taking the picture- that is consistent with birds, which are close and fast, and most people ignore them
(except, as mentioned before, little fat ex-Goodies).

Here is a blow-up of one of the pictures;
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5750/bird8ya.png
looks like it might be an oystercatcher.

As others have pointed out it looks like the same, feathered, IFO to me.

I know we've already discussed the seagull photo, as I've posted these before:

vi_nov2005_005.jpg

seagull.jpg

Good lord! In my day people at least made the effort to throw a hubcap in the air or something, rather than just photographing seagulls!

*mutter grumble*

see, I'm not just a pretty face ;)

[Emp edit: Threads merged and link removed]

In both Pictures the color is perhaps what you would expect for a Seagull. But sorry they look too squat and rounded to be seagulls, possibly flying penguins? To me they look like some malformed rudderless advanced jet trainer, cannot see the eyes and beak without a rather large amount of alcohol. Interesting photos, wish we knew what settings they were taken with.

For the above. It looks very much like a bird to me. Maybe you are justa little bit too biased than you might think about all this UFO stuff.

Well I guess they are seagulls then. :oops: I mean't to say that originally
and forgot to put it in at the end. I had a few beers to try and see the seagulls and realised my mistake but the forum would not let me in to edit it. So I gave up and went to bed and after mothman8 added to the thread there did not seem any point editing it.

The forum has given me a bit of a runaround before being allowed to post this..It keeps insisting I log on when I already am..

Anyway yes I guess I must be a bit biased but biased to what? but aren't we all?

I definitely think that there are lots of things that have been seen in our atmosphere that either unexplainable by our present understanding
or we haven't been told about..There that should keep my options open.

Seagulls not included! :lol:

Leaferne said:
see, I'm not just a pretty face ;)

Damn - I've not even got that going for me. ;)

Good find. Merging would be tricky - I wonder if we could remove the relevant bits and join them on here. I'll have a ponder on it.

[edit: And I pondered it, found i doable and did it.]

Xeyes said:
In both Pictures the color is perhaps what you would expect for a Seagull. But sorry they look too squat and rounded to be seagulls, possibly flying penguins? To me they look like some malformed rudderless advanced jet trainer, cannot see the eyes and beak without a rather large amount of alcohol. Interesting photos, wish we knew what settings they were taken with.

So instead of getting into protracted squabbles about whether it is a flying saucer or not, we can get into protracted squabbles about what kind of unknown to science crypto-bird this is?

Suits me fine.

Yes, I know I left a pun just dangling there urealized, deal with it.

JoeWestSydney said:
Well I think 30 grand for a photo of an alien seagull is a bargain

Then do I ever have nice photos to sell you! Please specifiy size, color, number and formation of UFOs desired, day or night shots. Sworn testimony extra (just plain swearing free). <g>

To people who say it doesn't look like a seagull--mebbe Canadian west coast gulls are different than what you're used to? I mean, it's definitely a BIRD; the species isn't all that relevant.

"Exposing UFO Hoaxes
During the first hour, Royce J. Myers III discussed his work investigating supposed UFO sightings and other strange phenomena. Myers, who witnessed a UFO in 1994, does not deny the existence of UFOs or even extra-terrestrial life in the universe. He does, however, believe UFOs may have a more down to Earth explanation.

Myers talked about Nancy Talbot's scientific examination of crop circles and shared what he considers a credible UFO incident that occurred over Minot AFB in 1968. Other cases, such as the Reed UFO fraud and Project Serpo are "evidentiary destitute," he noted.

Myers publishes what he considers fraudulent accounts at his website, ufowatchdog.com. One inductee to his website's 'UFO Hall of Shame,' Brian Bessent, claimed to have videotaped a fleet of UFOs flying over Phoenix, Arizona on June 5, 2005. Bessent's story was eventually disproved by reporters at KTVK-TV3. Watch their investigative report here. " INFO FROM C2C RADIO SHOW -LINKS HERE
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2006/10/06.html#u

Here is a picture I took this past Sunday off Galveston Island, Texas. It reminded me of this thread.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post an image...
Seagull_sm.jpg

(here is a link to a larger image)

Wow! rynner gets all excited! A UFO photographed just a couple of miles from here...

Oooh arrrr not alone anymore
Riddle ... Kelvin's photo and, inset, enlarged view of 'flying saucer'
By JOHN COLES

THIS stunning photo of a UFO over Cornwall was last night hailed by experts as one of the best ever taken in Britain.

The classic flying saucer shape is seen above two ships.

And UFO watchers believe it could be proof we are NOT alone.

Kelvin Barbery snapped the mystery object from a coastal path between Swanpool and Maenporth, near Falmouth.

In a weird twist, Kelvin, 55, did not even see the UFO at the time. :roll:

He thought he was just taking a sea view — but when he loaded the digital camera card on to his computer, the round metallic “craft” was in the centre of the shot, about two miles away.

Kelvin, a facilities manager for schools, said: “There were a couple of tankers out in the bay and I thought that it made a nice shot.

“There was nothing in view and certainly no fault on the camera.

“When I got home I couldn’t believe what I had. I thought, ‘Wow, where did that come from?’ I’m not the sort to believe in UFOs — now I’m not so sure.”

Nick Pope, one of Britain’s foremost UFO experts, said the photo was one of the best he had seen. :shock:

Nick, formerly the official Ministry of Defence UFO analyst, said: “If I was still there I’d be looking at this very closely. The object looks structured, symmetrical and metallic. This man has caught something very interesting indeed.”

Michael Soper, of the Contact International UFO group, agreed: “This does appear genuine. Digital photos can be doctored but everything about it appears consistent.”

KELVIN took his picture at 3.31pm on December 29, with a Nikon D80 Digital SLR on automatic.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 637499.ece

How mysterious - I wonder what it can be? :roll:

Clearly a seagull from the side, head to the right, tail to the left and the wing at the top. I saw this yesterday and immediately sussed what it was.

DoctorCrippen said:
Clearly a seagull from the side, head to the right, tail to the left and the wing at the top. I saw this yesterday and immediately sussed what it was.
Pity Nick Pope didn't suss it too - this can't have done his reputation as an 'expert' any good at all! 8)

A chap I've known for some years raised this Sun story last night. According to him, several other people had seen this 'ufo' a couple of hours earlier from Pendennis Point.... :shock:

However, this bloke does live in a fantasy world much of the time, but it was an interesting example of how urban legends can start and grow.

He said that neither local paper covered the story, but actually, one did!

MYSTERY OF FLYING SAUCER SNAP
09:00 - 03 January 2008

Flying saucers are flying over Falmouth - it's official.A mysterious object which looks like a flying saucer which was caught on camera at the weekend by a keen photographer has been dubbed a UFO - unidentified flying object - by a former Ministry of Defence analyst.

People who watch out for UFOs say the classic flying saucer shape, which was snapped by a member of Cornwall Search and Rescue Team who was standing by the memorial stone at Pennance Point, above Swanpool, could be proof that we are not alone.

In fact, the most sceptical view of the picture is held by the photographer himself, who says emphatically that he does not believe in UFOs.

Kelvin Barbery, 55, from St Agnes, was out with rescue team colleague Mike Williamson, indulging in their hobby of 'geocaching' (high-tech treasure hunting) near Falmouth on Saturday afternoon when he took the photograph.

"We were on the coastal path between Swanpool and Maenporth geocaching - looking for two objects which are meant to be hidden in the area," said Kelvin.

"We were using a handheld GPS system. Oddly, though, the GPS was really playing up at the time. :shock: I am a very keen photographer and took a picture of two tankers out in the bay. It wasn't until the next day, when I looked at the picture on the computer, that I saw this strange object."

His first thought was: "Wow, what's that?"

"It was my son who jokingly said I should send it to the Cornwall UFO branch for them to look at."

A member of the Cornwall Search and Rescue team for the past two years, Mr Barbery will take some convincing that the shape captured in his picture really is a UFO, but instead is hoping that someone will be able to identify the object.

He said: "It is very strange and it isn't a bird. And although I would have been focusing on my picture of the tankers, I certainly didn't see anything in the sky when I took it."

He spent New Year's Day with other members of the rescue team, manning a charity run over Bodmin Moor.

"Our chairman is very interested in UFOs and things and he's convinced that this wasn't a picture of a bird."

Nick Pope, who used to work at the MoD as a UFO analyst, said: "The object looks structured, symmetrical and metallic.

"The man has caught something very interesting."

Michael Soper of the Contact International UFO groups agreed, saying: "This appears genuine. Digital photos can be doctored but everything about it appears consistent."

[Reader comment:
Dear Sir, I was very interested in this ufo photo when a friend told me about it, because on Sunday 30-12-07, I was on the coastal path taking photo's near the Lizard Lighthouse, and when I looked at them after, I noticed an object that I hadn't seen through the view finder. It looks to be of a solid saucerish shape, green,and is at varying angles,in different shots. I have no idea if it is of natural origin or a ufo.The date on my camera has not been set yet (it was a Christmas Present)but I took the photo's on Sun 30-12-07 Yours Sincerely. Fred Roberts.]

http://tinyurl.com/2dstj8

I didn't spot this when I was taking the pic. Another one for the gull-ible...

StIves_Small.jpg

Back