• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK National Lottery

Shall we Brits have a go n t'Euromillions tonight?
I missed your suggestion until reading this now (about 9 hrs too late) but such an idea did briefly pass though my mind yesterday.

It's an interesting proposition: somehow beating the odds of chance via a form of 'online' (but non-internet) collaboration...whilst at the same time partly-compensating for a postulated weak PSI capability level for each individual (somehow then multiplying what may be a fractionally better-than-chance guess capability by dint of participant quantity).

It's not a unique idea, but it's maybe a while since it's been last aired: your suggestion's a good 'un I reckon @escargot (especially with this 'fresh', or becoming-relaunched UK lottery).

In the last century, various semi-secular showman/shaman/charlatans have professed to have invoked the power of plentiful populations (some may say that organised religions the world over have also always tried do this gestalt effort with their quasi-collaborative days-of-the-week (or days-of-year/ hours-of-day) prayer. Geller comes to mind (because I'm old) but there have been others that've claimed to try this, I'm sure.

A controlled parapsychological experiment that attempts to measure this putative gain-of-function-through-quantity effect *must* have been done before ( @gordonrutter - am I misremembering, or >was< this an area of study for the Professor Caroline Watt (Koestler Institute Chair holder) at one time?

We've also of course done a few forum group activity /hivemind interrogatives in the past, but have we ever tried an actual forum groupwish before? My instinct is to think we must have, but I'm not certain....

(ETA I did however buy an online Euromillions ticket yesterday on the dubious grounds of 'New' luck...if I have won anything, I shall let the forum know)

I missed your suggestion until reading this now (about 9 hrs too late) but such an idea did briefly pass though my mind yesterday.

It's an interesting proposition: somehow beating the odds of chance via a form of 'online' (but non-internet) collaboration...whilst at the same time partly-compensating for a postulated weak PSI capability level for each individual (somehow then multiplying what may be a fractionally better-than-chance guess capability by dint of participant quantity).

It's not a unique idea, but it's maybe a while since it's been last aired: your suggestion's a good 'un I reckon @escargot (especially with this 'fresh', or becoming-relaunched UK lottery).

In the last century, various semi-secular showman/shaman/charlatans have professed to have invoked the power of plentiful populations (some may say that organised religions the world over have also always tried do this gestalt effort with their quasi-collaborative days-of-the-week (or days-of-year/ hours-of-day) prayer. Geller comes to mind (because I'm old) but there have been others that've claimed to try this, I'm sure.

A controlled parapsychological experiment that attempts to measure this putative gain-of-function-through-quantity effect *must* have been done before ( @gordonrutter - am I misremembering, or >was< this an area of study for the Professor Caroline Watt (Koestler Institute Chair holder) at one time?

We've also of course done a few forum group activity /hivemind interrogatives in the past, but have we ever tried an actual forum groupwish before? My instinct is to think we must have, but I'm not certain....

(ETA I did however buy an online Euromillions ticket yesterday on the dubious grounds of 'New' luck...if I have won anything, I shall let the forum know)
Worth a try, Uri Gellar-style. :chuckle:
It'll work as well as anything else. :nods:

I'm not expecting to win anything, ever. Last time I bet on a horse was Grand National day 2022 when I was out with friends and we wandered into William Hill.

Picked five horses, e/w. Results as follows -
One pulled up.
Three unseated rider.
One finished - 15th.
:dunno:

It always amazes me how more psychics aren't millionaires by this stage. Of course they're not interested in money...
Uri Geller says that in the early days he did attempt to use his 'powers' to win on the horses (iirc).
Weird stuff started happening to him and he realised that he wasn't allowed to do this and was abusing his gift.

It always amazes me how more psychics aren't millionaires by this stage. Of course they're not interested in money...
I remain amazed that after so long 'creating millionaires' for so long, Camelot hasn't turned our country into the land of millionaires.

Uri Geller says that in the early days he did attempt to use his 'powers' to win on the horses (iirc).
Weird stuff started happening to him and he realised that he wasn't allowed to do this and was abusing his gift.
Did he detail what the Weird stuff started happening to him was? Other than losing money..

That thought had crossed my mind, too. "We are creating 20 millionaires this Christmas!" etc.

Then I found this: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/24602069/7000-brits-millionaires-national-lottery-jackpots/#:~:text=Meanwhile, Andy Carter, who works,of their life-changing journey.

So 7,000 lottery millionaires with a Uk population 66 million which represents about 0.1% of the population.
Sorry, 0.01%

Hence why I don't play the lottery as 20 sounds a lot when you forget to picture 65,999,980 who won't win...

I've heard this sort of thing before. The idea is that you can't do it for yourself. Whatever it is. :nods:

Is Uri definitely a proven fraud though? It's just that I was wondering if his (apparently) being a publicity-hound for years colours our perception of him...

I haven't followed his career very much since his heyday, to be honest.

Is Uri definitely a proven fraud though? It's just that I was wondering if his (apparently) being a publicity-hound for years colours our perception of him...
I’m not sure he’s done anything a trickster/magician can't also do. There’s stories about him in the past finding oil/minerals underground & earning loads of dosh for it but I don’t know how much truth there is to it.

I'm guessing it bent all of his spoons on him just as he was about to perform?

Just listened to a political podcast ... and it compared [situation redacted] with the same chance as winning the National Lottery three times in a row!

Back