• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

It was something we were told as children that mice could get through tiny little holes (it may have even been claimed it was because they had no skeleton!), but i don't recall it being much referenced in adult life and never shown on tv to my recollection either. So thank goodness for Youtube. Here's a man testing just how small a hole a mouse CAN get through if he wants to.

Last edited:
I guess a mouse can disjoint every bone in its body, but it probably can't do anything about its skull.
Maybe if it was a baby mouse, its bones would still be flexible enough to allow it to get through a really small hole... but pencil tip size or 3mm, that is extreme...

The landlord of my previous home had renovated quite a few houses in his time and although he didn't really believe in 'all that stuff' he did admit that he could often feel 'something leave the house' whenever he took the roof covering off. He described it as if the house was giving a sigh and said he could sense a kind of whoosh as 'it' left!

Sollywoss that is very interesting and could perhaps explain a lot. House no 2 has had the roof off and replaced I wonder if that might work. Last week the new owner asked me again if I wanted to move back and rent the house I said no despite the fact he is going to do it up big time. I was telling a mate of ours about it and he suggested moving back. Both said that it should be ok as the nightmare neighbours left years ago. But I can't as there is too much bad luck, weird things and trauma involved for me to take the chance. I can't risk it I am better off staying put for now anyway and maybe finding somewhere else in the future. I am too old and knackered to put up with any bad vibes or whatever I just want a quiet life.

When we had major renovations done some years ago there was activity, which I put down the house not liking the builder we had in. He was rather racist and homophobic so although he did a good job we were glad to see the back of him. Maybe it was my dislike of him that set it off? I dunno.

Anyway, the house persecuted him with nasty pranks, including chucking him into a bath. (You've all heard that one!)
It's mostly been quiet since then.
It finally occured to me that our house has been expressing its opinion of my family's long-standing occupation for quite a while. Never a thing could be fixed without it causing another problem that needed to be fixed, to the point that we were genuinely put off doing anything. We've done an awful lot to this 1920s semi since we bought it twenty years ago, but it's never been enough and now the place feels defeated.

The guy who is developing my friend and neighbour's (may she RIP) old house next door is buying this one. He will gut it, strip it down to the brick, throwaway all the character, and build it up again, twice as big.

Meanwhile, we're moving into a house built just 10 years ago that literally needs nothing doing to it.

The me of twenty years ago would be appalled that I was buying such a bland new-build, but the time has come for us to live in a house, not be tormented by it.

The me of ten years ago would also be appalled that I was buying a new-build on an estate that I signed a petition against being built. But if you can't beat em, join em.

Oh Scribbles I really feel for you! Funny how life turns out isn't it? I hope you'll be very happy in your new place and enjoy a bit of a rest from DIY! XXX

Sollywos x

Our only venture into home ownership ended in disaster and I went back to being a council tenant. We bought this small terrace in the mid 1990s, when the prices had fallen and we bought from someone desperate to sell (should have realised) who had negative equity - not so unusual, then. And that was probably the reason we thought she was desperate to sell.

I'd loved the council house we had just before that - husband didn't. We looked out over allotments at the back, and the street was very nice - big, wide 1930s' boulevard type road, lots of trees, greenery and the council house was huge. But husband never loved it there and so when we got a chance to buy something else - we took it.

Two doors down to our 'own' home, was a Very Old Lady. She had been born in her house - her father died not long after she was born, in WW1. She knew everything about the street and who'd lived there. I loved the house at first - well, for maybe a day - because it was my first house of my own. As it turned out, my last.

Old lady told me that no-one had ever stayed in that house for long (you know where this is going). Divorces, people suddenly moving abroad, general misery... And we'd moved in with 3 kids, oldest about 8. Most of the more recent ones before us had been childless. The last one - she sold it vacant possession having already moved out, so we never met her, but were told she was a nurse, and "a bit strange". She'd moved to Yorkshire, apparently, and needed a quick sale. Within hours we knew why - turned out it was next door to a registered alcoholic who sang in a booming voice, day and night, and had his dodgy mates round - he was in his 60s, maybe, and him and his mates looked like tramps. The singing or shouting and swearing (and I had young kids, remember) went on all day and all night. I still want to cry if I hear 'Danny Boy' - he sang that throughout the night. Nothing blocked the sound. He wasn't a bad hearted man. Just a very damaged one. Rehab etc never worked. Sometimes his mates would come round and smash in the door - once they smashed in another neighbour's, thinking it was him. The couple of years we lived there we didn;t once have more than a couple of hours at a time of quiet. To the point I still have no idea how that woman persuadedhim to be out when we viewed the house because the viewing we did was the only time it was ever to be quiet. She taped a handwritten sign to a door when we viewed, saying about the lovely neighbours. (This was gone the day we moved in).

I think it was just before the laws that meant we could've sued her or the estate agent.

So anyway - not a ghost as such but sheer misery. I hated being home.

Thing was, the old lady was right. Nothing went well for us. We started arguing (maybe, stress). Then there were the constant, low level illnesses - one after another. Constantly being sick for no apparent reason (not the kids so much - just us adults). I had hoped for a house with a cellar but was told there wasn't one. One day in the cupboard under the stairs, I realised there were floorboards not a solid floor, and big gaps so we shone a torch down and saw we did, indeed have a cellar. But no stairs down to it, no apparent way to access it. The downstairs floorboards I stripped every inch of them and was sure they were 1970s or summat - not original (house was maybe 1890s).

Pet bunny vanished from our closed in garden. Week we moved in, a teenage girl was abducted from the top of the street, driven somewhere and raped and our street was on the news. What are the odds of that? Once, driving out of the street, a drunk/druggie opened the car door and tried to climb in with us... I kept thinking of what the old lady had said that no-one ever settled there. She'd lived there maybe 80 years and known every family there, that whole time. When pregnant there with son 4, I fell down the stairs (no harm done). That house never felt right - not just because someone told me it wasn't right. It wasn't right. Whilst there, we split up and I moved away. We sold the house to a buy to let landlord who didn't give a toss about the drunk next door or anything else - he had no intention of living in it. It wasn't a 'rough' area, as such, either - quite nice in fact.

I always thought if we'd stayed put in our nice council house I loved, that had great neighbours, I'd never have gone through that dark time and of course if I'd just bought that council house we'd be quids in, now. Because my life went to crap for a long time, I was never in the position again to buy my own home and I wish I had now as I'd be getting to the point of no mortgage whereas now I'll pay rent forever which seems insurmountable. Have been dogged with 20 years' really awful luck, all because we bought that particular house.

I often wonder who moved into it subsequently and whether they stayed. The old lady probably died not long after we left.

Last edited:
*True*... son staying overnight yesterday, so we were watching poltergeist videos on YouTube and decided to call out our own, 'entity'.

'If there's a spirit present, can you please make yourself known... maybe move something on the table'?, etc...

Nothing happens.

We're off to bed and in the silence....

'Do you hear that noise'?

'Aye mate, what is it'?

We duly venture forth.... tap in the bathroom sink has been turned on...

My current home is a house that I originally bought with the ex. People warned us that nobody who lived there prospered and they were right. It was a disaster for us as a family; we were financially well off but everything else was rubbish. You really wouldn't believe it.

We'd bought it after the previous owners defaulted and were evicted. They'd made farcically poor 'improvements' which cost me a fortune over the years to put right. (Their interference with the drains of 25 years ago led directly to last year's traumatic Sweetcorn Incident.)

At some point I began sorting out the badly-laid patio and outdoor steps, and found a pair of scissors buried under the steps, open, pointing towards the house. Looked like a curse! How strange.

It's a coincidence of course, but after I binned them things slowly improved. These days Techy and I live here with the cats and, touch wood, apart from the odd bit of haunting things are quiet.

These later posts have reminded me about other things wrong with this house; the bad neighbour two doors down (had to get police and environmental health involved with him several times), and the sewage that leaked under the floorboards, from a broken sewage pipe in our garden, that smells in the summer.

The leaking sewage problem was not helped by the bad neighbour, who went through a period of putting things in the street sewage pipe, making sewage back up, causing serious difficulties for us and our other neighbour.

Also the period when animals apparently came to our garden to die. Mostly birds, but also a frog, a fox and a squirrel.

All lost stray dogs end up here too, and cats.

Electric problems, leaks, white goods constantly breaking, kettles, toasters, soup machines lasting mere days. And it's COLD here, even in the summer.

I've never felt bad vibes here, but jeez. If the developer finds open scissors buried under the front step pointing towards the house I wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT typo

Oh and endless car problems whilst living here. One car I swear was out to kill me. Eventually, after years of car trouble with different cars, rather than buy another second-hand car, we leased a new one on a three year contract. Got all sorts of electrical problems with that - turned out to be mice chewing the cables under the bonnet.

Spoke to other neighbours. Nope, no one else had this. Just us.

Oh and the wasps! Oh my goodness THE WASPS!

One year, and I am not making this up, we had a wasp's nest out the back that made the garden unusable, one in the attic where the wasps were somehow getting down through to the landing and stairs, and the wasps from our neighbour's nest from which flew over to eat the wood in our porch and made getting into the front door terrifying... AND RENTAKILL COULD NOT KILL THEM! They gave it two goes, but the wasps didn't die until winter.

Oh my word WHY have we stayed in this house so long???

One year, and I am not making this up, we had a wasp's nest out the back that made the garden unusable, one in the attic where the wasps were somehow getting down through to the landing and stairs, and the wasps from our neighbour's nest from which flew over to eat the wood in our porch and made getting into the front door terrifying... AND RENTAKILL COULD NOT KILL THEM! They gave it two goes, but the wasps didn't die until winter.

Now, I like wasps and would encourage them.

Oh blimey we have wabbies in our attic here - could even be hornets, I'm not sure because they're BIG. This winter, husband finally went up there - we've had them most years for several years. He can't find a nest. One massive one woke up - must be the queen - came out and we gave it the coup de grace. He's looked again last week and still can't find any sign of a nest or any more wasps. But he says there's loads of holes in the roof, where the tiles meet the wall, and we have no idea what to do about it. (Council won't come out, they don't believe in repairs). Several years back, we had a wasp/hornet nest on the soffit, in the front of the house and I did something I probably shouldn't and knocked it down... I hoped they wouldn't come back.

I reckon we have a couple of weeks to figure out how to block them out before they come back.

In the summer, we simply don't go in the attic at all. If you open the hatch, one or two always end up in the house.

We also had a swarm of bees find a hole in the mortar several years back and they ended up under the floorboards of our bog. Council refused to pay for a bee-man even though it was their neglect that caused it. Local bee keeper said the swarms split when they get too large. I heard them coming, from outside and it was so loud it sounded like a tractor.

Bee man couldn't get them out alive as where they were was impossible for him to access so we had to get a bee killer man instead. They were happily coming up through the upstairs floorboards and flying up and down our hallway for a day...

Last year, we wanted to go and look at a medieval tomb in an almost disused church near here and had to get the keys off a local. Whilst husband was in there, I came out into the graveyard and yet again, walked into a swarm (they were flying well above my head so I just legged it to the car). It was like a horror film. I then phoned husband to warn him in case he walked out into it. Same thing - they all seemed to know exactly where they were going. They were flying somewhere behind the church. I said to husband, when we drop the keys back off, the locals are gonna blame us for their church full of bees. Assuming they got in...

As a child in the 70s we lived in what my mother was convinced was an unlucky house. She had lived close to it for twenty years and she said there was a story that a child had died in it years before. It was always cold and none of us would go upstairs on our own. My parents’ marriage disintegrated while we lived there and I saw my sister’s fetch in the garden. Not a good place, I think.

Last edited:
How interesting! That thing we were taught in schools about always holding scissors by the shut blades, and only handing them over to someone giving them the handles? Come to think of it now, bit of overkill? Bet all of that has its origins in superstition.

My Indian name: Runs With Scissors.

The superstitions about scissors/blades are well-known to me, especially the one about dropping them on the floor. I always ask someone else to pick up any blades I drop unless I'm alone, in which case I place a foot on top of it before retrieving it myself.

This has always been the case - I can remember it happening at home when I was a child. Second nature.

Back