• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

We had a wasps' nest in the attic/eaves years ago. The wasps'd fly in and out of the roof and when I was in the garden I'd hear them scraping wood off the fence to carry back for building. They were fascinating and gave no trouble.
We had a wasps nest in between the two walls of my living room (they burrowed in from outside and then lived in the cavity). We never had a single wasp in the house all that year, and nobody got stung in the garden - as long as I only hung washing out in the evenings. I refused to kill them, and they all disappeared over winter and never came back.

The weirdest thing was the noise. The whole wall would 'hum' slightly when it was quiet. Someone said it was the wasps fanning to cool down the nest.

The superstitions about scissors/blades are well-known to me, especially the one about dropping them on the floor. I always ask someone else to pick up any blades I drop unless I'm alone, in which case I place a foot on top of it before retrieving it myself.

This has always been the case - I can remember it happening at home when I was a child. Second nature.
We were told not to make a gift of knives or scissors or it would cut the relationship

The superstitions about scissors/blades are well-known to me, especially the one about dropping them on the floor. I always ask someone else to pick up any blades I drop unless I'm alone, in which case I place a foot on top of it before retrieving it myself.

This has always been the case - I can remember it happening at home when I was a child. Second nature.
You aren't supposed to pick up scissors you drop?

It's refreshing to see so much wasp love on here! Everyone seems to hate them with a passion.

I am wasp neutral, but with kids in the house, they had to go.

We've got a bees nest last summer in one of the outhouses, and a few would always come out to buzz angrily if anything too near to their nest got disturbed. I found it quite endearing and would always apologise.

Can't say I would feel quite so accommodating if they were coming up through the bathroom floorboards though *shudders*!

It's refreshing to see so much wasp love on here! Everyone seems to hate them with a passion.

160406_bees_vs_wasps_by_fablefire-d9y3wjx.png

maximus otter

I think that’s right, so it’s a purchase not a gift

Yup, posh knife sets sold in cases to give as wedding gifts used to include a coin for the receiver to hand back to whoever gave it.
At least one I've seen still had an English new penny there so while the manufacturers observed the custom, the newlyweds didn't, or they used a different coin and kept the original.

You aren't supposed to pick up scissors you drop?

Nope. You ask someone else to do it or if you're alone you stand up and step over the scissors or blade first, or cover it with your foot.
My forebears were tailors and I come from a region that used to have lots of garment factories so everyone I knew or was related to 'knew' all this.

*True*... son staying overnight yesterday, so we were watching poltergeist videos on YouTube and decided to call out our own, 'entity'.

'If there's a spirit present, can you please make yourself known... maybe move something on the table'?, etc...

Nothing happens.

We're off to bed and in the silence....

'Do you hear that noise'?

'Aye mate, what is it'?

We duly venture forth.... tap in the bathroom sink has been turned on...
'Summoning an entity', just as an experiment...

What's happened last couple of days to us...

For a start, I'm typing this on my mobile... was on the table, picked it up and screen is smashed.

Electricity cut off, door keys no longer worked and that's just the start...

Last edited:
As a child in the 70s we lived in what my mother was convinced was an unlucky house. She had lived close to it for twenty years and she said there was a story that a child had died in it years before. It was always cold and none of us would go upstairs on our own. My parents’ marriage disintegrated while we lived there and I saw my sister’s fetch in the garden. Not a good place, I think.

Your sister's what?

Your sister's what?

I'm not sure, unless Sogna meant:

"The apparition or double of a living person, formerly believed to be a warning of that person's impending death.

Late 17th century: of unknown origin."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fetch

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetch_(folklore)

The concept of a 'fetch' was mentioned in the Ghost of Myself thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ghost-of-myself.59525/

Last edited:
My mother told me a story when she was a child and her uncle had found two silver coins inside a wall when he was remodeling [good fortune awaited him] not ! He learned his lesson after strange things started to happen to himself and family members... He promptly put them back into the same wall . That is all I was told.

If stories about haunted houses and strange goings on tickle your pickle - have a look at Testimony by Mark Chadbourn. Its a great read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QRSH8R2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
If stories about haunted houses and strange goings on tickle your pickle - have a look at Testimony by Mark Chadbourn. Its a great read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QRSH8R2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I remember reading this many years ago, I thought it was a bit run of the mill if I’m honest - it’s the usual stuff, scared family, electricity drains, cant afford to move elsewhere etc.

One thing I do remember and in which I found a little disturbing, was that there were a series of black and white photographs within the book, that showed the various family members, and different rooms within the house.

The picture of the kitchen had a huge black doglike creature sitting on the kitchens work surface, although no mention was made of the dog in the caption below, and if my memory serves me correctly the family did not own a dog of any kind.

If someone has a copy of this book, could they possibly look at the pictures and see if I was right about the black doglike creature sitting in the kitchen – I’m sure I’m not misremembering

What dog?

Hi escargot. Do you mean what breed of Dog..?

No idea, from what I recall, it was a very large black dog like figure, that was sitting on the kitchen work surface.

The copy that I read was borrowed from a pal, for a holiday read to the Algarve, but this would have been back in the late 90's, so quite a few years now.

I have lived in many, many different places, but have only one unhappy house (apartment) story. Nothing too dramatic, but it's always odd when particular things seem concentrated or collected within one place or time.

I moved in with someone I knew from work. I sublet the smaller of two bedrooms from him. Three months later, his entire department was closed, though there was no economic recession at that time. So he was unemployed. His previously moderate drug use increased.

I wanted to garden in the back yard, but there was no water hook up in the yard, so I used a planter box on the staircase to make it feasible for myself to have plants. About a week after I planted flowers, I found a dead bird in the planter box. The flowers never thrived (that could have been my gardening inexpertise). Later, I found mouse bones (I think) at the bottom of the stairs.

Next door that same spring, some starlings nested in a sort of pipe in the side of the building next door, and when the fledglings were ready to fly, one got stuck. The others were trapped behind it. They were all screaming to get out. I was on the porch reading, at about the same level as the pipe, so had a perfect view of what was happening. Their distress and my helplessness was too much for me. After they all starved, their bones were visible in the pipe. I didn't read much on the porch after that.

A few months later, my roommate became HIV positive.

I finally moved out because my roommate allowed a friend of his to sell "medical marijuana" at the apartment. My roommate wasn't a bad person -- he was kind -- but he made rather bad choices. The roommate he found to replace me ended up kicking him out, even though my ex-coworker was the one with his name on the lease. C'est la vie (?)

Having all sorts of problems since trying to sell the house and it has been going on for months now. Purchasers like me are ready and getting impatient. Last week as I hadn't had an e mail response which was most unusual I eventually got one from the solicitors to say the Conveyancer had left the company. Nothing was mentioned and everything seemed ok she just up and left in a day. To put the tin lid on things we have encountered yet another problem the Building Society has lost all the Deeds which means more cost to me and hassle. I am fed up of it.

Mr GITM can occasionally, he claims, hear the sound of playtime in a playground when he's working in a fairly remote, in terms of his work site, field. There is a village nearby with a school but closer is, an old school converted to a house. He didn't think much of it,assuming it was the actual primary school and the wind in the right direction... til he realised one day he was hearing it during half-term. I just asked him if he's the only one who has heard it and he's being vague but he seems sure that several of his colleagues have.

ETA: He's also fairly deaf, so for him to hear it, it has to be more than a very distant background sound.

Mr GITM can occasionally, he claims, hear the sound of playtime in a playground when he's working in a fairly remote, in terms of his work site, field. There is a village nearby with a school but closer is, an old school converted to a house. He didn't think much of it,assuming it was the actual primary school and the wind in the right direction... til he realised one day he was hearing it during half-term. I just asked him if he's the only one who has heard it and he's being vague but he seems sure that several of his colleagues have.

ETA: He's also fairly deaf, so for him to hear it, it has to be more than a very distant background sound.

One of my previous cats, Puddy, loved my kids very dearly, to the extent that she'd sit on the doorstep when any of them was out until they came home.

Can remember one day when she and I were on the sofa with the newspaper having a cosy ten minutes together before I went out to collect the kids from school, and from the kitchen radio we heard a sound of children playing.

Puddy jumped up and charged into the kitchen to greet the kids, returning a couple of minutes later looking puzzled.

Back