• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unreleased And/Or Unfinished Films, TV Shows, Games & Music

I worked as a make-up artist on a BBC 2 drama pilot called Chalkface in about '90 that was never released. It was described as an adult's version of Grange Hill and filmed in a disused Birmingham school. All I remember was doing a couple of bruised face make-ups and powdering down the stars .... and stealing a school blazer patch when they told me I couldn't have one. Think I'll re-google it today ...

Unfinished Documentary About Unfinished Nicolas Cage Superman Movie Gets Trailer

“The Death of ‘Superman Lives': What Happened?” releases full-length trailer to help final fundraising push for post-production of mostly-completed documentary film

The feature-length documentary film about the unfinished “Superman Lives” film is nearing completion. In an effort to raise the finishing funds for “The Death of ‘Superman Lives': What Happened?,” producer/director Jon Schnepp released a full trailer featuring plenty of footage from the original film's early production, as well as interviews with almost everyone involved in the film, except for its roster of actors.

Director Tim Burton and original screenwriter Kevin Smith were joined on screen by many people involved behind the scenes on “Superman Lives,” including producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, production designer Rick Heinrichs, screenwriter Wesley Strick, costume designer Colleen Atwood, special effects supervisor Steve Johnson, storyboard artist Tim Burgard, and associate producer Derek Frey.

In the trailer, they talked about the unique take on the character they were hoping to explore, emphasizing his alien nature. But the story of “Superman Lives” is just one of many permutations in the Superman film saga over the span of a decade beginning in the mid-1990s.

Smith pitched his original outline in 1996, and it would be ten years of rewrites and false starts with the character before “Superman Returns” hit theaters.

While Smith wanted eventual Batman Ben Affleck as Superman, things changed when Tim Burton signed on to direct. He had his own ideas, and before too long Nicolas Cage was involved. Other names attached to the film included Kevin Spacey (who would become Lex Luthor in “Superman Returns”), Tim Allen, Courteney Cox, Chris Rock and Michael Keaton, who may or may not have reprised his role as Batman.

It's clear from the trailer that Schnepp is passionate about digging into the meat of his story, gathering an impressive array of involved people to talk about what went right, what went wrong, and what they were hoping to accomplish in “Superman Lives.”
http://www.thewrap.com/unfinished-docum ... ler-video/

Should be interesting, the film as completed was nuts (I went to see it at the cinema to relish its ludicrous qualities on the big screen - money well spent) but the story behind it probably beats that. So much for Stanley's witchcraft, unless he cast a "massive fail" spell or something.

I'm going to stick this here as this film could have been unfinished - it was years in the making and Verity called it the "most disaster-plagued film in the history of Hollywood.” - plus it kind of disappeared until now, as cult label Drafthouse Films are about to re-release it in the US.

Roar stars Tippi Hedren and daughter Melanie Griffith (next daughter in the line is the current star of 50 Shades of Grey) and both of them were mauled by lions onset!

And Jan De Bont left behind shooting Paul Verhoeven movies, only to be scalped by one :eek:
“Traditionally, press releases give you a single press quote to sell you on a movie,” says Drafthouse Films CEO and founder Tim League. “Roar is so singular, so breathtaking, I have decided instead to deliver an essay that better contextualizes the incredible awesomeness of this film. You’ve never seen a movie like Roar and there will never, ever be a movie like Roar again.”
http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/ent...g-tippi-hedren-melanie-griffith-joins-pride-o

I've seen Roar, and it's a hard film to enjoy because you spend most of it thinking what a bunch of maniacs the filmmakers were, even if you don't know the story behind it. Seriously, there doesn't seem to be any regard for the danger they're putting themselves in. Just ask Simon Groom!

Good God, that Blue Peter chap needs his head read.
The others are clearly far too far gone for that to help.

The good news is that Tippi keeps her big cats on a proper reserve now and doesn't treat them as her household pets. Lesson learned, I suppose. Better news is there won't be a Roar 2.

More on LOST SOUL: THE DOOMED JOURNEY OF RICHARD STANLEY’S ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU -

Video interview -
I met with Richard Stanley after a screening of Lost Soul during last year’s Fantastic Fest in Austin. A commanding figure with a delicate grace about him, Stanley was easy to talk to and extremely open about the passion and pain involved in creating a work of art that, had it been realized true to his vision, could have been a glorious thing.
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/...rney_of_richard_stanleys_island_of_dr._moreau

And will Stanley make his movie after all..?
Q: Wait, so there's a chance you could be involved in making The Island of Dr. Moreau again?

A: At this stage, it looks very likely. It's too early for me to name the company involved, but I was actually put under contract in January to write a new draft of The Island of Dr. Moreau, which is already completed and delivered. The project has come back to life, which I think is a side effect of David's work.
http://www.laweekly.com/arts/fired-...d-of-dr-moreau-vows-an-x-rated-remake-5401317

Funnily enough, so much time has passed since the last movie that Stanley's version of Wells might seem pretty fresh. Good luck to him, it would certainly give that documentary a happy ending. He could even pen another article for the FT if he succeeds.

An article on Bela Lugosi's final film:
http://www.filmthreat.com/features/81564/

It may not have existed at all, or if it did it might not have been released, at least to a proper distribution. What makes it weirder is that it appears to have been a quiz for British Bela Lugosi fans to recognise his old movies, presented by Lugosi himself, some time after he had not only left the UK but had died too. What on earth is this thing?!

Haven't you heard? Bela Lugosi's undead:

Thanks for that, a good list, though Nailed has been released this year as Accidental Love (and is supposed to be terrible) and The Other Side of the Wind is meant to be out later in the year (I know, heard it before). Would have loved to see the Richard Pryor movie, what a waste.

Yup, they've picked up on the reason to watch it all right, to marvel at the idiocy!

Brian Wilson's Smile project probably deserves an honorable mention for finally being completed properly nearly 40 years after it's conception. There's a fantastic live performance on Youtube.

Also, I've read that Jimi Hendrix had been planning on collaborating with Miles Davis cohort Gil Evans on a jazz fusion album. Indeed, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Hendrix would have got together with Miles himself during his funky 70's phrase. Apparently they had a huge mutual respect for each other. (One of Davis's pieces - Mademoiselle Mabry is loosely based on The Wind Cries Mary.)

I heard a fascinating documentary about Errol Flynn's William Tell on the radio years ago. Ironically, it would make a great movie, especially the bit where the floundering screenwriter met a stark naked Elizabeth Taylor and Jean Simmons in a sauna with some zillionaire who wanted to put up the cash.

There's been rumors of a Stormbringer film for ages. Check this piece of crap. Look how rubbish Stormbringer is.

Nothing Lasts Forever? A new one on me...

The real story behind the Bill Murray movie you’ve never seen

Zach Galligan will never forget the day in 1982 that he auditioned for the “Risky Business” role that catapulted Tom Cruise to stardom.

“I blew it off because I was so excited [for a different movie],” he admits. Earlier that same day, he had landed the coveted main part in a sci-fi fantasy featuring his comedy idols Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi.

But after disastrous test screening in Seattle in 1984, MGM scrapped a planned theatrical release for “Nothing Lasts Forever,” and the (mostly) black-and-white film has never been out on video.
http://nypost.com/2015/05/23/the-real-story-behind-the-bill-murray-movie-youve-never-seen/

That's a Bill Murray film I have seen because back in the 90s it was shown on British TV on cult movie series Moviedrome. Alex Cox presented it with a joke spiel about how it was a classic movie from the 1930s, and I almost believed him for the first minute or so, but it gets weird very quickly.

I occasionally notice it on YouTube, but that's about it. Seems the studio still aren't interested in it even after all this time and in spite of its underground cult status. The only film the director ever made, too, I think (though he did a lot of shorts on SNL). Shame because it's a gentle, quirky little thing.

Back