• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do you think Uri Geller is......

• Absolutely genuine

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • An entertainer with no special powers

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Conman

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
Maybe they should have gone with the oil well dowser for multinationals story?

My guess is that the article / retraction derived, drew from, or played off (e.g.) this January 2017 Telegraph article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/18/uri-geller-convinced-cia-psychic-warrior/

... and / or any of a number of other publications triggered by the declassification and online offering of CIA documents relating to his being tested at SRI in the early 1970's. The documents were cleared for release back in 2000, but were apparently not made available online until November 2016. See, for example:

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp96-00791r000100480003-3
Yes, those are what is being referred to. Unfortunately I misread the retraction. I have now found the magazine and the retraction is that he never spied for Russia as initially claimed in the article. It is implied that he still spied for the US and Israeli governments.

Sorry about that, I must need my chakra's rebalancing or something..:oops:

He's actually a very good charlatan. And likeable too.
And he could have made a fantastic sleight-of-hand magician (oh, of course he actually was, except he claimed to have mystical powers. I've still never seen the spoon-bending trick done any better than he did it. And yes, he was very personable).

Bend him like a spoon!

ask him yourself, by all accounts hes an active board member

all the time ... id ask him, but hes on my now-all-encompassing ignore list

Come on Uri I dare you! Bend my spoons!

Three cheers for Corbyn!

Go on Uri ya big sissy!

He's currently living in Tel Aviv where he's in the process of setting up his own museum as well as performing as a judge on 'Israel's Got Talent'.

He's currently living in Tel Aviv where he's in the process of setting up his own museum as well as performing as a judge on 'Israel's Got Talent'.

I can't help thinking a museum of bent cutlery would look an awful lot like a scrapyard.

... we haven't heard from Uri for a while, does this mean after one of his periodical hiatuses he's back for another charm offensive?

After a long rest from playing with spoons, he is finally stirring.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's been widening his range of tricks. Dunno, maybe bending forks or something?

After a long rest from playing with spoons, he is finally stirring.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's been widening his range of tricks. Dunno, maybe bending forks or something?

Oh, he's been bending forks for years! Not joking. Don't know if he does knives, though. Basically, never let Uri do your washing up.

I can't help thinking a museum of bent cutlery would look an awful lot like a scrapyard.

You've just given Tracey Emin an idea for her next load of bollocks

Surely every illusionist (magician is a more loaded term) who's ever strutted their stuff likes to play up the woo factor?

The "magic" exists in convincing us that he really can stop your watch, bend your spoons or read your mind through means beyond the 5 senses.

A close-up female illusionist at my works Christmas do a few years back was utterly brilliant and created some genuinely jaw-dropping effects. Super-skilled and super-inventive certainly. But supernatural, certainly not.

Ok Prime Minister, may as well give up now. Uri's on the case.

D2R6EVMXQAYr7R3.jpg

Because the world just isn't nuts enough right now, I suppose?

Back