Vampires

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Vampire hysteria in Malawi.

The United Nations has pulled staff out of two districts in southern Malawi where a vampire scare has triggered mob violence in which at least five people have been killed.

Belief in witchcraft is widespread in rural Malawi, one of the world’s poorest countries, where many aid agencies and NGOs work. A spate of vigilante violence linked to vampire rumours also erupted in Malawi in 2002.
“These districts have severely been affected by the ongoing stories of blood sucking and possible existence of vampires,” the UN Department on Safety and Security (UNDSS) said in a security report on the Phalombe and Mulanje districts that was seen by Reuters.

The acting UN resident coordinator, Florence Rolle, said in an emailed response to questions that based on the report “some UN staff have relocated while others are still in the districts depending on locations of their operations”. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/09/un-moves-malawi-staff-vampire-scare?CMP=share_btn_tw
Curfew declared.

At least five people have been killed in southern Malawi after they were accused of behaving like vampires.

Malawian President Peter Mutharika has vowed to launch an investigation into the killings.

A night-time curfew has been imposed by the government to prevent vigilante mobs from killing more people.

The UN says it has pulled staff out of two districts as the vampire scare swept the south of the country.

The people killed were suspected of drinking human blood as part of magic rituals.

The government-imposed curfew restricts movement to ten hours from 07:00 until 17:00 local time (05:00 to 15:00 GMT) .

Meanwhile, the president's office said in a statement: "This development has been of grave concern to the president and the entire government." ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41574608

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Police are taking this seriously, cracking down on the lynch mobs.

Police in the south-east African state of Malawi say they have arrested 140 members of lynch mobs who attacked people suspected of being vampires.

At least eight people are believed to have been killed, including two men on Thursday in the second city, Blantyre.

One was set on fire and the other stoned, according to police.

Two others were arrested for threatening to suck people's blood but police say have no medical reports of any actual bloodsucking.

Vigilante mobs started attacking people suspected of drinking human blood as part of magic rituals in September. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41692944?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
The Damned star Dave Vanian reveals he's behind Welsh vampire myth
The Damned star Dave Vanian has exploded a 38-year-old Welsh vampire legend by revealing he was the mysterious figure who made the local headlines back in 1980.
The punk legend was recording the band's Black Album at Rockfield Studios in Monmouth when he decided to step out for a breath of fresh air one night and take a stroll to a nearby cemetery.
"There was a full moon and Monmouth in the full moon... you can see everything," he tells WENN. "It was very bright because there's no city there; it's just countryside.
"So I went for a walk to the local graveyard, which was, like, a mile down the road... and I walked around and as I left and started heading back up the lane to the studio, I was caught in a Mini's headlights as I was coming out of the cemetery, and the car veered off the road almost and then screamed round the bend.
"The local newspapers, the next few days, had a thing, where a woman claimed she had seen the ghost of a vampire coming out of the local cemetery. It became a big deal and I decided to say nothing."
Vanian, who has always enjoyed a good vampire tale, admits he was dressed like a creature of the night: "It was very chilly and I was wearing an ankle-length wool cloak to keep warm," he laughs.
"I became entrenched in a ghost story. I've become an urban legend down there. I guess the locals will read this and realise they've never had a vampire ghost haunting the cemetery."

https://www.star-magazine.co.uk/cel...he-damned-star-dave-vanian-reveals-hes-behind

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
I became a vampire in my early teens by forming a summoning circle and invoking the name of a powerful saint to trap a demon into the circle I then asked the saint to weave the demons essence into my flesh then two days later after suffering extreme flu like simptoms I had a vision I was being thrown into the river styx I couldn't move water filled my lungs then I felt a boney hand grab me by my right ankle the only bone I had ever broken a year earlier I then woke up coughing up water that smelled like death ever since then I've been exploring what I'm weak to and what strengthens me weakness onions I'm attracted to the sweet taste of raw onions when I cut them it feel like tear gas and I can't digest them diarrhea for a week I have panic attacks near natural rivers more than 4 feet deep my left sock always wears a hole in it within a week I studied Chinese vampires to defeat one permanently you must get their left sock tie a rock into it and throw it into a river I found I have a luck ability when I link to a human they gain immense good luck by me draining the luck of everyone else around them when I feel hungry I can gather energy through eating like a human or in a pinch focus on the energy around me and breath it into myself I found I can soak up the abilities of people around me by either consuming afew drops of their blood or by being their luck talisman for a month my hair and nails grow ten times faster than normal leaving me with 2in claws if I don't trim them every other day but I haven't been sick except for those dam onions haven't been able to break a bone wounds from plants and animals heal in a week but any human intervention will make it take months to heal if that occurs I must find grave dirt reopen the wound and pack in the dirt in a week I'm fine that's how it is for me being a vampire I've gathered an ability from someone along the way the unkillablity of Rasputin

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
I type how I think I find if I don't think and type fast I end up just counting my words

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
Sorry if I think and and type fast I won't get stuck counting my words I apologise I just found out I can edit it's like that old myth about counting grains of rice if I see it as a whole not just individual pieces of rice I don't get stuck counting them

Last edited:

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I became a vampire in my early teens by forming a summoning circle and invoking the name of a powerful saint to trap a demon into the circle I then asked the saint to weave the demons essence into my flesh then two days later after suffering extreme flu like simptoms I had a vision I was being thrown into the river styx I couldn't move water filled my lungs then I felt a boney hand grab me by my right ankle the only bone I had ever broken a year earlier I then woke up coughing up water that smelled like death ever since then I've been exploring what I'm weak to and what strengthens me weakness onions I'm attracted to the sweet taste of raw onions when I cut them it feel like tear gas and I can't digest them diarrhea for a week I have panic attacks near natural rivers more than 4 feet deep my left sock always wears a hole in it within a week I studied Chinese vampires to defeat one permanently you must get their left sock tie a rock into it and throw it into a river I found I have a luck ability when I link to a human they gain immense good luck by me draining the luck of everyone else around them when I feel hungry I can gather energy through eating like a human or in a pinch focus on the energy around me and breath it into myself I found I can soak up the abilities of people around me by either consuming afew drops of their blood or by being their luck talisman for a month my hair and nails grow ten times faster than normal leaving me with 2in claws if I don't trim them every other day but I haven't been sick except for those dam onions haven't been able to break a bone wounds from plants and animals heal in a week but any human intervention will make it take months to heal if that occurs I must find grave dirt reopen the wound and pack in the dirt in a week I'm fine that's how it is for me being a vampire I've gathered an ability from someone along the way the unkillablity of Rasputin
Prefer the were-creature transition, much more dramatic.

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
I found out over the years Vampires like me are only our strongest when we are being used as a talisman for luck when I'm linked to a human I'm able to cross a bridge over a river with no ill effects because my sole is no longer attached to the sole of my left foot but attached to the sole of the human I'm linked to I see something described in Astral Projection as the silver cord coming from where my belly button is to the back of the skull of the human im attached to come to think of it they do always complain of migraines

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
yes we can count sometimes that reminds me of that one time I got an idea stuck in my head involving time travel for some reason stayed awake for a week came up with a working hypothesis then for the last two days got stuck trying to to count how many minutes you would have to wait inside the device to how many years are passing outside the device I eventually passed out due to lack of energy woke up 3 days latter with a encrypted file on my phone entitled working time machine blueprint I still don't know what password i used that's the thing about me when I get an idea stuck in my head I'm compiled to complete it

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... that's the thing about me when I get an idea stuck in my head I'm compiled to complete it
So you're confessing to being an AI program? ... :dunno:

BTW: Punctuation is your friend - it helps in motivating people to invest their time in actually reading your posts.

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Reaction score
sorry compelled not compiled

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I found out over the years Vampires like me are only our strongest when we are being used as a talisman for luck when I'm linked to a human I'm able to cross a bridge over a river with no ill effects because my sole is no longer attached to the sole of my left foot but attached to the sole of the human I'm linked to I see something described in Astral Projection as the silver cord coming from where my belly button is to the back of the skull of the human im attached to come to think of it they do always complain of migraines
Do not get attached to me, cause you still wont get over a bridge with water under it, it terrifies me

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Reactions: Jim

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
could of been sliced with thickened sharpened finger nails
I remember reading years ago about 'bosuns thumb' which is where a ships bosun would grow his thumb nail and sharpen it till it was razor sharp, then place a leather sheath over it so if he was jumped by someone he always had a weapon, supposedly could cut a throat with it.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I remember reading years ago about 'bosuns thumb' which is where a ships bosun would grow his thumb nail and sharpen it till it was razor sharp, then place a leather sheath over it so if he was jumped by someone he always had a weapon, supposedly could cut a throat with it.
Would that actually work? If your hands are wet a lot, as a bosun's surely would be, I would imagine that you'd have trouble keeping a nail - plus all that hanging off ropes would leave you more likely to lose them too?

Perhaps I am just blinded by the fact that, as a microbiologist, I spend a lot of time washing my hands and my nails - previously diamond-hard, they used to scare my sister! - disintegrate by the time they get to a couple of mm long.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Would that actually work? If your hands are wet a lot, as a bosun's surely would be, I would imagine that you'd have trouble keeping a nail - plus all that hanging off ropes would leave you more likely to lose them too?
I haven't heard of a 'bosun's thumb' before, but I suspect it was probably a small utility knife worn in a sling around the neck.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I haven't heard of a 'bosun's thumb' before, but I suspect it was probably a small utility knife worn in a sling around the neck.
Thanks Myth! (Can I call you Myth? Feels a bit familiar...)