• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Experience With Sigil Magic

I know........which is why I am so :shock: :shock:

I think I will try a few more simple ones though just to make sure it wasn't coincidence (the Fortean in me speaks :D ). Mind you my sister is good at Magick so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Will Sigil Magick help me get a job?

I'm that desperate right now, anything looks appealing.

:cry:

You too, Leaferne?
Poor you.

Mythopoeika said:
Will Sigil Magick help me get a job?

I'm that desperate right now, anything looks appealing.

:cry:

Well it can't hurt to try.

I wouldn't mention it at an interview, though.

I think anything is worth a try if you want to improve your life. Good luck both of you and :glum:

Aw, thanks. :) I'm working right now, but my contract runs out at the end of April, small hope for a summer contract, and I *may* get picked up again in September but you never know...hourly wage, no bennies. Have been trying to get something more permanent but it's difficult (university politics are so much fun). I will try it and report back!

I have a question: admittedly I know not much about the topic, but I'm wondering if sigil workings can backfire and produce unwanted results? Specifically I mean not only does it not work, but the result received is the opposite of what was intended.

I have a court case coming up which is of tremendous importance. Should I lose the case, there's a very real chance of my life being turned upside-down and everything I've worked years for to be lost. I was considering trying to do a sigil to help me out. Someone above said that it can't hurt - and I do need all the help I can get - but should I do it wrong or make a mistake due to my novice level of experience, will I hurt my case? Will I hurt myself? Will things go very wrong and cause more damage than would be done otherwise? Should I leave it alone?

However I don't know if a sigil would be appropriate for this case since obviously I have a great lust of result. Anyone have any advice?

Maybe not - just in case.

The belief, subconsciously, that it might go wrong isn't something you want to have. If anything will make it screw up, it'll be that. This is conjecture on my part, but sensible conjecture, I think.

:imo:

yurei said:
I have a question: admittedly I know not much about the topic, but I'm wondering if sigil workings can backfire and produce unwanted results? Specifically I mean not only does it not work, but the result received is the opposite of what was intended.

Yurei, if sigils work, it's reasonable to accept they simply... work, i mean, that they make possible what was demanded of them. They wouldn't have any "inteligence" to switch or to twist the wish it was demanded and "backfire" or something like this. But...

You can take in account that, when formulating the wish you desire, you can, first, analyze carefully the impact of what you are wishing. It's the classical Monkey Paw effect; sometimes the wish we wanted to see turned into something real will create a chain reaction of facts that you don't necessarily want to see happening. So, again, formulating correctly your wish makes all the differenece.

Second, charging and working with sigils rely on subconscious. And subconscious have its own disguised wishes. Some can conflict with your conscious wishes when you create and charge your sigils. We could take this in account too. This is another instance where the correct formulation and careful analyse can help in making your sigil work.

Third, some have their own methods to charge a sigil, what seems to be what AOS, when first proposed the model, wanted to be true. But many choose to create a pastiche of dark rituals as a "easier" way to charge them. Doing this you can be, let's say, interfacing with things that have nothing to do with the relationship of you and your subconscious. And then the "malfunction" of your sigils can take place.

In any case above, keep it mind something that I learned a long time ago: don't call anything you don't know how to send back where it came.

Good luck

Thank you, ChicoBMM - I had not really thought about it that way.

I do realize that a sigil has no intelligence, but in my case, none is needed for it to "backfire". I have a court case which has about a 50% chance of resulting in my favour and a 50% chance of resulting otherwise. So my odds are naturally 50/50 - pure chance, really. I was hoping to tip the scales in my favour by using a sigil.

However, I was afraid that if I did not do it correctly, I may inadvertently do the sigil "wrong" and tip the scales in the opposite direction - maybe by, like you said, imbuing it with my subconscious worries/desires. After all, it is extremely important for me to have a favourable result in this case - I can't even begin to tell you how much rests on this case. I'm deeply afraid of it not coming out in my favour and maybe there's some way for me to project that fear somehow?

It's happened in the past that workings have come out skewed for me, but that's because they were traditional (non-sigil) workings and I'm sure there were a lot of other forces at work. And I'll admit that I'm not the most able practitioner anyway.

I did get some books on the subject and hope to learn a little bit more before I do a sigil of this kind of importance. Of course, the question then becomes, how do I not think about it? It's easy (or easier) when the desired result is something meaningless, but this is a situation which keeps me awake at night and is always at the back of my mind - not really the best of candidates anyway for a novice practitioner. Maybe I ought to leave it alone and take my chances with the good old random universe... :?

Yurei, if the sigilization is supposed to be a method that involves subsconscious, something that doesn't let you sleep at night doesn't seem the best starting point to the pratice with this method.

But... if your deepest rooted desires are linked to it, then you can do it, but it will be hard to "forget", accordingly to the traditional method.

If you want to keep your bets on AOS, I remember something I saw described a looong time ago, on a "Man, Myth and Magic" article (oh Gods...) and tried sucessfully when I was young. The exercise consists in picturing on your mind a white door with an I-Ching hexagram printed in black over it. Your part is choosing a very appropriate hexagram to translate what you wish coming into your life.

You seem completely took by an intense desire. Now you can exercise your will. Concentrate in opening the door with the hexagram on your mind. Just this? Yes, just this. I don't know what is behind the door on your case, but you have how to know.

This is a good exercise in letting your desires have a better defined form. And to start to link desires with will. Later you will have the skill to translate desires and let themselves find their way.

Again, I wish good luck on your case, really.

Does anybody on the forum read once Nathanael West too? I feel weird...

Yurei - go for it.

The idea if sigils is as a focus for your subconscious. Devise a sigil that corresponds with your desire to win the case, charge it up with all your desire to win it, burn it, bury it whatever but put it out of sight. I prefer burning the sigil personally.

Then forget you ever made it. Consiously avoid thinking about it ever again until at least after the case. Your subconscious will remember the sigil, will remember what it is supposed to do and will work on that, I cant see how it can backfire if it only has one specific purpose. You really dont want to lose so your subconscious is hardly going to work towards that, especially if you keep all thoughts of losing out of the sigil itself when designing and making it.

The sigil itself has no power or intelligence, it works by affecting your own subconcious mind that will work to make it happen.

At least thats my opionion on the matter.

Thanks, Chico and Many Angled One, for your advice and wisdom.

That's an intriguing idea about the hexagrams. I've consulted the I Ching a couple of times with regards to this case, and it has given me the same hexagram each time.

I think I'll have to experiment first and see how comfortable I feel with the whole thing. It's been a while since I've done anything of this kind.

As I've understood it (mostly from this thread!), sigils work in your subconscious to subtly modify your own behaviour so as to improve your chances of gaining your desires.

So in a court case, where many other people are involved, it might be of no use at all unless you have to appear and give evidence yourself. But if you do have to appear, maybe sigils would improve your presentation, and work in your favour.

Rynner, I really appreciated your sarp comment on the mechanic of sigils. Of course, this is a side effect very welcome on sigil operations but also in any magical opperation. Most of the times, I should say, it's the only effect and it works pretty well.

In theorethical term, in fact, sigilization should be a way to connect your subconscious with the larger atavic subconscious of human race, something like the collective subsconscious. Your desires would merge into this "entity" and it would operate over the "real" world t make the wish true.

One of the best explanation on sigils and simililar magical opperations I ever read was on the links below. It is a bit long, I know, but easy to read and, sometimes, full of humour. I hope it can serve as a good source to us all to discuss if it could be useful or not and in which conditions.

http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chao ... sergod.txt

http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chao ... itors.html

Fascinated by all I've read on this subject - thanks to you all for pointers - but how careful do you have to be about posing unambiguous "wishes"? I imagine it's a bit like self-hypnosis in that respect. For example, how would you phrase a wish to lose weight? I'd hate to do a sigil for "I wish to lose weight" only to lose an arm in an industrial accident a week later ...

Darrg said:
Fascinated by all I've read on this subject - thanks to you all for pointers - but how careful do you have to be about posing unambiguous "wishes"? I imagine it's a bit like self-hypnosis in that respect. For example, how would you phrase a wish to lose weight? I'd hate to do a sigil for "I wish to lose weight" only to lose an arm in an industrial accident a week later ...

Indeed, it's the possibilty of ambiguity that could make a sigil go wrong. make sure you read and re-read the initial question looking at it from all angles.
I have done a few now and only one has come to fruition so far. I find it hard to forget them so they probably never will.

i have a fully formed sigil in the back of my mind atm (which i spose i do charge it every day). so would it better for me to scribe it to paper, or leave it where it is?

(oppos for asking, as ive not read the various links provided as of yet)

melf said:
i have a fully formed sigil in the back of my mind atm (which i spose i do charge it every day). so would it better for me to scribe it to paper, or leave it where it is?

(oppos for asking, as ive not read the various links provided as of yet)

Uh yes. You have to let it go and sink it into the unconcious mind for it to work. So draw it, charge it, and let it go...

Darrg said:

It's my belief that a sigil can't be made for the negative. It's not like we are dealing with a Djinn, and any sigils designed which are phrased in a negative manner simply don't work. You are programming your subconcious to help you, and having an arm cut off isn't really beneficial.

It's my belief that a sigil can't be made for the negative. It's not like we are dealing with a Djinn, and any sigils designed which are phrased in a negative manner simply don't work. You are programming your subconcious to help you, and having an arm cut off isn't really beneficial.[/quote]

That's a good point. Still, I always hedge my bets by starting off anything asking for material gains with something along the lines of "to the benefit of all...".

On another note, much of what I have read about sigils says that the subconscious/unconscious/deep mind does not pick-up the negatives in a statement. So, a statement such as "I will not overeat" would be heard by the subconscious as "I will overeat".

On another note, much of what I have read about sigils says that the subconscious/unconscious/deep mind does not pick-up the negatives in a statement. So, a statement such as "I will not overeat" would be heard by the subconscious as "I will overeat".

Not really, it'll probably just be ignored. It should be phrased something like "I will eat only what I need", or "I will eat less", or even "eat less'.

Freaky Dream

This isn't truly bizzare, just disturbing. I was trying out sigil magick a couple of months ago, and tried to summon the demon Asmodeus (bad idea). I didn't expect anything to happen, and it didn't right away. Then, a few nights later, I had the most disturbing dream I've ever had. This is pretty graphic. It was kind of fuzzy but I distinctly remeber a muscular male figure with a black, dog-like head (like the Egyptian god Anubis). He then proceeded to walk over to a pregnant woman who was lying on a bed, ripped out the fetus and proceeded to rape her. He ripped out her intestines and she died. That's when I woke up... :shock: I don't think I'll be trying that out again!

Re: Freaky Dream

silvereye555 said:
This isn't truly bizzare, just disturbing. I was trying out sigil magick a couple of months ago, and tried to summon the demon Asmodeus (bad idea). I didn't expect anything to happen, and it didn't right away. Then, a few nights later, I had the most disturbing dream I've ever had. This is pretty graphic. It was kind of fuzzy but I distinctly remeber a muscular male figure with a black, dog-like head (like the Egyptian god Anubis). He then proceeded to walk over to a pregnant woman who was lying on a bed, ripped out the fetus and proceeded to rape her. He ripped out her intestines and she died. That's when I woke up... :shock: I don't think I'll be trying that out again!

If you don't mind me asking - What on earth gave you the idea that sumoning a demon might be good? Let alone by Sigil. Everything I've heard about Demonolgy (mostly a pile of bobbins, I'm sure) suggests that any summoning must be done with great care and lot's of safety precautions.

I'm not surprised you had a disturbing dream. It was probably your Unconcious mind's way of saying 'Don't be so damn stupid'. Always asuming you didn't actually sumon a Demon. If you did then goodbye, good luck and maybe a priest will be able to help.

Cujo

I agree, I'm sure it was my unconscious. It was just some stupid thing I felt like doing one night! I didn't expect anything to happen, the dream just kind of shocked me.

Re: Freaky Dream

Cujo said:
silvereye555 said:

If you don't mind me asking - What on earth gave you the idea that sumoning a demon might be good? Let alone by Sigil. Everything I've heard about Demonolgy (mostly a pile of bobbins, I'm sure) suggests that any summoning must be done with great care and lot's of safety precautions.

I'm not surprised you had a disturbing dream. It was probably your Unconcious mind's way of saying 'Don't be so damn stupid'. Always asuming you didn't actually sumon a Demon. If you did then goodbye, good luck and maybe a priest will be able to help.

Cujo
Summoning demons should be left to the experts, only for a particular reason and if there's no real alternative.
Out of interest, why were you trying to evoke Asmodeus? Next time, maybe try creating a servitor if you need a specific job doing. It's a lot simpler, you can destroy the beasty if it gets out of hand (which is unlikely), and it'll be tailored to your own needs. Trying to summon a demon (even one used by Solomon) could be pretty hazardous to say the least, even if you don't expect anything to happen.

I had heard that you could summon demons like Asmodeus to learn arts such as geomancy. I don't know why I chose to try and summon him in particular, maybe because I recognized the name.

Back