• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

Cocooned against the news and weather over the holiday, I headed back towards Manchester in blissful ignorance of the extensive flooding. I was a bit miffed to find the East Lancs Road closed at Leigh with no explanation or Diversion in place. I suppose a half hour of navigating what my Dad used to call Pissing Country Lanes* before I could find my way onto the M61 was getting off lightly, all things considered!

Rochdale under water, Salford river about to burst its banks etc.

There is dramatic footage of a collapsed pub at Summerseat but siting a pub on a bridge is asking for it!

Given the current Government's attitude to public spending, I can see the cost of this clean-up being subject to the rough justice of the insurance companies. :eek:

*There are usually between four and six mapbooks in my car; they were not deemed necessary for a very familiar journey. And doesn't someone always give you a new one for Christmas? Not this year! :(

Last edited:
Flooding 'worst in 50 years', as 150,000 flee in Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay

Vast areas in Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil are being hit by the worst flooding in 50 years, forcing the evacuation of more than 150,000 people.
Days of heavy rains brought on by El Nino have caused three major rivers to swell, and authorities have reported at least six weather-related deaths.

A state of emergency is in force in Paraguay, the worst hit nation, where 130,000 people have fled their homes.

In northern Argentina, some 20,000 people have left their homes.

Dry weather is forecast for the Brazil-Uruguay border region in the next few days, but in Paraguay and Argentina water levels are still expected to rise.

Details and photos...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-35184793

El nino is relatively predictable now in its timing, but global warming having put more energy into the atmosphere only gives the little brat more to wreak havoc with!

El nino is relatively predictable now in its timing, but global warming having put more energy into the atmosphere only gives the little brat more to wreak havoc with!
UK floods and extreme global weather linked to El Niño and climate change
Scientists say flooding in Britain, record US temperatures and Australian wildfires linked to El Niño making effects of man-made climate change worse
John Vidal
Sunday 27 December 2015 17.18 GMT

From some of the worst floods ever known in Britain, to record-breaking temperatures over the Christmas holiday in the US and and forest fires in Australia, the link between the tumultuous weather events experienced around the world in the last few weeks is likely to be down to the natural phenomenon known as El Niño making the effects of man-made climate change worse, say atmospheric scientists.

El Niño occurs every seven to eight years and is caused by unusually warm water in the Pacific Ocean. This year’s event is now peaking and is one of the strongest on record, leading to record temperatures, rainfall and weather extremes.
“What we are experiencing is typical of an early winter El Niño effect,” said Adam Scaife, the head of Met Office long-range forecasting.
“We expect 2016 to be the warmest year ever, primarily because of climate change but around 25% because of El Niño,” said Scaife, who added that the phenomenon was not linked directly to climate change but made its effects worse.

Scientists have warned for years that extreme weather would become more common as a result of climate change, but have until recently fought shy of attributing single events to global warming.
But researchers at Oxford University and the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI) calculated earlier this month that man-made climate change was partly responsible for Storm Desmond’s torrential rain, which devastated parts of Scotland, the Lake District and Northern Ireland. The scientists ran tens of thousands of simulations of the flooding event and found it 40% more likely with climate change.

The UN’s World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) also expects 2015 to be the hottest year on record worldwide, with Europe experiencing its second hottest year. It was marked by heatwaves in India, Pakistan and elsewhere.

The latest floods, droughts and extreme weather are what might be expected of a strong El Niño, according to the WMO. “Severe droughts and devastating flooding are being experienced throughout the tropics, and subtropical zones bear the hallmarks of this El Niño,” said the organisation’s chief, Michel Jarraud.

“Much of eastern Europe has been exceptionally warm, with temperatures higher than in 2014. Only in parts of Ireland were temperatures lower than the 1981 to 2010 long-term average, according to the climate indicator bulletin from WMO’s European regional climate centre.

The widespread El Niño effects are are now being felt in Africa, Latin America, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, the WMO said.

In Central America, one of the most severe droughts on record has left 3.5 million people in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador in need of food aid. The UN says that more than 2 million people have been affected in Peru and Ecuador.

In Ethiopia, the government estimates that 10.2 million people will need help in 2016 at a cost of $1.4bn (£944m). Elsewhere in Africa, staple crops have been devastated in Kenya, Malawi and South Africa. Food shortages are expected to peak in southern Africa in February.
“Over 39 million people in Africa are expected to face food insecurity by January 2016, an increase of more than 70% on January 2015”, said a spokeswoman at the Department for International Development.

The warm Pacific temperatures have also led to a record number of hurricanes and cyclones. According to the US government’s national oceanic and atmospheric administration, there were 18 named storms in 2015, including 13 hurricanes, nine of which were category three or higher. This is the highest number recorded since reliable measurements started in 1971.

In the US, many states experienced record high December temperatures. The mercury reached 30C (86F) in Tampa, Florida; 28.3C in Houston, Texas, and 18.8C in New York.

“Extreme weather will increase with global warming and thus climate adaptation measures, like flood defences, need to constantly be updated. What may appear to be sufficient to withstand a 1 in 100-year event can become quickly out of date as the incidence of extreme weather ramps up and becomes more unpredictable,” said Gail Whiteman, the chair of the Pentland centre for sustainability at Lancaster University.

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...-weather-linked-to-el-nino-and-climate-change

As a youngster growing up in Northern England, this time of year used to be marked by huge amounts of precipitation. However it fell as snow and it wasn't uncommon to have six foot snowdrifts along the side of the road. Apart from looking magical, the snow melted at a varied rate putting less strain on the streams and rivers than torrential continuous rain. These floods are now a common occurrence so it's vital we dredge the rivers, create more wetland areas as reservoirs and stop building on the flood plains. Surely that makes more sense than putting the sockets a metre up the wall in future?

A flood control room in danger of flooding? Stupid. Just stupid.

Very worrying weather and climate we're having. I'm in the heart of the English countryside at the moment, and I've already seen primroses and blossom (apples, I think) blooming and I think there are some snowdrops starting to come up. There's no way any of that should be happening in December! Strange times... :(

El Nino weather: Worries grow over humanitarian impact
By Matt McGrath Environment correspondent

The strongest El Nino weather cycle on record is likely to increase the threat of hunger and disease for millions of people in 2016, aid agencies say.
The weather phenomenon is set to exacerbate droughts in some areas, while increasing flooding in others.
Some of the worst impacts are likely in Africa with food shortages expected to peak in February.
Regions including the Caribbean, Central and South America will also be hit in the next six months.

This periodic weather event, which tends to drive up global temperatures and disturb weather patterns, has helped push 2015 into the record books as the world's warmest year.
"By some measures this has already been the strongest El Nino on record. It depends on exactly how you measure it," said Dr Nick Klingaman from the University of Reading.
"In a lot of tropical countries we are seeing big reductions in rainfall of the order of 20-30%. Indonesia has experienced a bad drought; the Indian monsoon was about 15% below normal; and the forecasts for Brazil and Australia are for reduced monsoons."

As both droughts and floods continue, the scale of the potential impacts is worrying aid agencies. Around 31 million people are said to be facing food insecurity across Africa, a significant increase over the last year.
Around a third of these people live in Ethiopia where 10.2 million are projected to require humanitarian assistance in 2016.

The El Nino event is likely to tail off into the spring - but that may not be good news either.
El Ninos are often followed by La Nina events, which can have opposite but similarly harmful effects. Scientists say during an El Nino there is a huge transfer of heat from the ocean to the atmosphere. Normally, as in 1997/98, that heat transfer tends to be followed by a cooling of the ocean, a La Nina event,

"It's possible but far from certain that this time next year we could be talking about the reverse of many of these impacts," said Dr Klingaman.
"In places where we are seeing droughts from El Nino, we could be seeing flooding from La Nina next year.
"It's just as disruptive, it's just the other way round."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35159826

Odd occurrence here.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wei...raffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

Frozen water and pebbles have been found flowing through through Saudi Arabia's deserted Rub' al Khali – or "Empty Quarter".

Excited Saudis reach down and pick up ice balls from the fast-flowing stream in the video – which has gone viral.

The extremely rare – and eerie – natural phenomenon appears to go on for miles through the largely unexplored desert, which is 250,000sq miles in size.

"The extremely rare – and eerie – natural phenomenon appears to go on for miles through the largely unexplored desert, which is 250,000sq miles in size."

The ice seems to be flowing in a wadi:
"Definition of wadi

: the bed or valley of a stream in regions of southwestern Asia and northern Africa that is usually dry except during the rainy season and that often forms an oasis : gully, wash

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wadi "

Note there is plant life growing on either bank, indicating that sufficient moisture remains in the ground to support life, even when water is not flowing.

As for the source of the ice, it's probably hail. The desert may be hot, but a few thousand feet up it'll be freezing, and the Empty Quarter has seas on three sides to provide moisture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail

North Pole temperatures spike 'above freezing' as Storm Frank sends warm air north
Storm Frank causes rare winter 'heatwave' in Arctic with temperatures rising about 30C above normal
By Emily Gosden
8:00PM GMT 30 Dec 2015

Temperatures at the North Pole are estimated to have spiked above freezing in a rare December 'heatwave' caused by Storm Frank.
The mercury was forecast to rise above 1°C on Wednesday, in a dramatic and possibly unprecedented rise from the usual deep freeze conditions of close to -30°C at this time of year.

The storm in the North Atlantic that has seen Britain deluged by rain and battered by strong winds has also pushed warm air from the tropics up to the Arctic, causing the highly unusual temporary temperature rise, meteorologists said.

No temperature measurement instruments are operating on the North Pole to provide precise readings, but experts estimated that the mercury may indeed have nudged above zero.
The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that weather models based on satellite readings "interpreted temperatures above 32°F (0°C) at the North Pole for a brief time".

"As the North Pole is over the Arctic Ocean (which is frozen most of the year), NOAA does not have land-based temperature gauges there," a spokesman added.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wea...zing-as-Storm-Frank-sends-warm-air-north.html

World turned upside down: forecasts for Cornwall tonight are for -1 deg C!

There was an interesting explanation of the current strange British weather on this morning's Today programme.
Put simply, the storms are the climate's normal way of moving heat from the tropics to the poles. Their unusual severity was foreseen 10 or more years ago but was expected further in the future rather than now.

I will have another listen later as it was very interesting.

UK weather: Warmest December on record was one of wettest ever seen as Britain battered by storms and flooding
Storms Desmond, Eva and Frank brought waves of devastation to many parts of the UK
Lizzie Dearden

December has been the warmest since records began and one of the wettest after seeing a series of storms bring devastating flooding to the UK.
With Storm Frank on its way out, conditions were turning more wintry and settled as communities in northern England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales battled to recover on New Year’s Eve.

The Met Office said December had “smashed records” for both heat and rainfall, with the mean temperature at 8C – double the long-term average. The previous record was 6.9C, set in 1934.
With conditions feeling closer to April or even May, daffodils and spring flowers started to boom across the country and animals delayed their hibernation.

The strong El Nino weather phenomenon is thought to have played a part in driving tropical air up into the UK, causing the moisture and wind that formed one storm after the other.
Storm Desmond was largely responsible for making December a record-breaking month, say the experts, with unprecedented amounts of rain falling on the Lake District.

The Christmas period was described as “unsettled, wet and mild” as hard on the heels of Storm Desmond, Storm Eva brought more gales and heavy rain to many northern areas on Christmas Eve, then Storm Frank moved in to cause more mayhem.
The weather fronts brought an average of 211mm of rain through December in the UK, making it the wettest since 1929.

But it was a record for Scotland and Wales, with 333.1mm and 321mm respectively – the most rainfall since records began in 1910.
December has also been the wettest in north west England and fourth wettest on record in Northern Ireland, but rainfall levels have been much closer to average in central and southern England, the Met Office said.

“Looking at the year as a whole, until last week it seemed it would be unremarkable with a cool spring and cool, damp summer being offset by the mild end to the year,” a spokesperson added.
“However, the rainfall this week has changed all that and we have now had enough rainfall to propel the UK value in to the top 10 wettest years in our record.”
Provisional figures show 2015 catching up to 2000, when 1,337mm of rain fell.

Many experts have linked the unprecedented conditions to global warming.
Professor Myles Allan, from the University of Oxford, said: “The weather has changed, and we have changed it: get used to it.
"Those with more open minds are asking, 'is this the new normal?'. Unfortunately, the answer is 'no' - 'normal weather', unchanged over generations apart from random fluctuations, is a thing of the past.
"When families reconvene for Christmas in the 2040s, the envelope of 'normal weather' will have shifted by as much again as it has already shifted since the 1970s."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-britain-battered-by-storms-and-a6792236.html

not sure if this is the correct place to put this up... but it is weather related?
first off i have a photo of this but cannot upload it as i dont do photobox etc?? i can email it to someone to do though if anyone can help??
OK, approx 15 yrs ago we had a bird table in our back garden, on the table i always left a bowl out with water for the birds. now it was mid winter and as i went out to change the water, the bowl had the weirdest ice formation i've ever seen.. the bowl was still partially full of frozen water BUT there was a spike of ice about 3-3 1/2" long sticking up from it?? I can truthfully say there was nothing around that water could of dripped from to form this (like an icicle for instance) i was then and still am baffled by this phenomenon, i have never seen anything like it since :confused: steve.

not sure if this is the correct place to put this up... but it is weather related?
first off i have a photo of this but cannot upload it as i dont do photobox etc?? i can email it to someone to do though if anyone can help??
OK, approx 15 yrs ago we had a bird table in our back garden, on the table i always left a bowl out with water for the birds. now it was mid winter and as i went out to change the water, the bowl had the weirdest ice formation i've ever seen.. the bowl was still partially full of frozen water BUT there was a spike of ice about 3-3 1/2" long sticking up from it?? I can truthfully say there was nothing around that water could of dripped from to form this (like an icicle for instance) i was then and still am baffled by this phenomenon, i have never seen anything like it since :confused: steve.
You could try clicking and dragging the image into the reply panel. It may need to be re-sized.

If the photo is a file on your computer, you can upload it straight from there. Start a reply, then select the Upload a File option. It's very easy. :)

You could try clicking and dragging the image into the reply panel. It may need to be re-sized.

thanks for the reply... BUT.... i tried many times the other day to do this and just couldn't figure out how to do it lol,
Im not exactly a wizard with the laptop im afraid and almost chucked it across the floor after many failed attempts!! i just cant bring myself to try again... sorry :banghead:

If the photo is a file on your computer, you can upload it straight from there. Start a reply, then select the Upload a File option. It's very easy. :)

i tried that too... it kept saying something like file too large?? and then asking for url number??? computers do my head in because i dont understand all the jargon!

I've seen similar pictures.
A possible explanation is steady wind forcing a droplet of water to move in a certain direction.
Once the water starts to freeze, the water flows over the frozen area (and keeps doing so continuously) until it turns into a spike of ice.

i tried that too... it kept saying something like file too large?? and then asking for url number??? computers do my head in because i dont understand all the jargon!
Use an image editor to reduce the picture size.
You could download a free pixel editor such as paint.NET or Gimp, and use that to reduce a copy of the picture (i.e. resample it) down to a smaller size.
Then, save it as a JPEG or PNG file.
Then try uploading it here, with the Upload a File button.

I've seen similar pictures.
A possible explanation is steady wind forcing a droplet of water to move in a certain direction.
Once the water starts to freeze, the water flows over the frozen area (and keeps doing so continuously) until it turns into a spike of ice.

Well this kind of makes sense.... unlike your next reply.... lol i dont think i want to type GIMP into google i dread to think what i will discover!! thanks anyway :eek::D

Well this kind of makes sense.... unlike your next reply.... lol i dont think i want to type GIMP into google i dread to think what i will discover!! thanks anyway :eek::D
Haha, just type 'gimp image editor' into Google. :D

You don't need to download anything, Paint is included with every version of Windows and will easily resize an image! On older machines go to "stretch/skew" in the menu and change the numbers to 50% to half the size. The more recent versions have a 'resize' option.

You don't need to download anything, Paint is included with every version of Windows and will easily resize an image! On older machines go to "stretch/skew" in the menu and change the numbers to 50% to half the size. The more recent versions have a 'resize' option.
True. Depends on the version of Windows, really.
Older versions of Paint are a bit crap with resizing.

Can anyone remember the account of the young schoolgirl who was killed after a freak gust wind picked her up, with some aerodynamic manipulation of her skirt, and threw her something like 30 meters? I'm sure it occurred in the U.K. Unsure of the date but probably pre 1970s. I know that I read it in one of the myriad of those mysteries of the unexplainedesque volumes, which are now available in most good second-hand shops.

Monstrous 30ft waves recorded in Falmouth Bay during Storm Frank create new record
By WBGayle | Posted: January 08, 2016

STORM Frank generated the largest waves ever recorded in Falmouth Bay, it has been revealed.
During the height of the storm, waves more than 30ft tall hit the normally sheltered bay on December 30.

The FaBTest marine energy testing site, located in the bay, measured waves 9.3m high.
The waves, recorded at 6am on December 30, surpassed the previous largest wave in the bay which was seen on Valentine's Day 2014 and measured 8.75m.

The University of Exeter's Renewable Energy group, which is based at the Penryn campus and manage the FaBTest site in conjunction with Falmouth Harbour Commissioners, recorded the monstrous waves during routine monitoring at the site.
Jon Hardwick, an associate research fellow from the group said: "The large waves measured during the last couple of weeks demonstrate the extreme forces that devices experience out at sea, even when placed in normally sheltered areas such as Falmouth Bay."

Prof Lars Johanning, who leads the Offshore Renewable group added: "The latest event shows the importance of the Falmouth Bay (FaBTest) facility as a marine energy demonstration site, where innovative technologies can be cost-effectively demonstrated in a sheltered bay with good access to shore facilities and relevant sea conditions."
The ground-breaking FaBTest project, which is the only wave energy testing device of its kind in England, is a two square kilometre area in Falmouth Bay situated 7.5km from the dock's entrance.
The lease and consent is managed by Falmouth Harbour Commissioners and the operational support of the site, as well as on-going monitoring and world leading research, is provided by the Renewable Energy Group from the University of Exeter.

The project was made possible in part thanks to an investment from the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), supported by the Government's Regional Growth Fund.
The FaBTest 'nursery' facility enables up to three devices to be deployed and tested concurrently.
Wave energy device developers can test components, concepts or full-scale devices in a moderate wave climate on the Falmouth site.
The area, which is leased from Crown Estates, has a Marine Licence for testing device deployments on site subject to permits issued by Falmouth Harbour Commissioners.
The live wave conditions at the site are available to view online at www.fabtest.com

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/8203-Mo...lmouth-Bay/story-28484847-detail/story.html#1

From the link today:
Live wave conditions on site:
Wave height (Hm0):  1.62 m
Wave period (Tz):   5.06 s
Last Update: 09/01/2016 09:08:00 GMT

Omagh's flying rabbit: Bunny rescued from roof after Storm Gertrude
By Ciaran McCauley BBC News NI

Forget run, rabbit, run - this is a story that's all about fly, rabbit, fly.
The fire service rescued a rabbit from the roof of a bungalow in Omagh, County Tyrone on Friday morning.
Bumper the bunny was thrown onto the roof after Storm Gertrude blew his hutch over in high winds, said the fire service.
The pet was a hare's breadth from disaster - but managed to hold on until rabbit rescue arrived.

In the end, his airborne antics would be enough to make Bucky O'Hare jealous and puts a whole new spin on 'what's up, Doc?'
The rabbit was discovered on the roof of Woodbank House, a residential care home, after a night of heavy winds thanks to Storm Gertrude.
"We tried to figure out how on earth a rabbit would get on the roof," said Caroline Swift, a worker at the home.
"It must have catapulted when the big cage was blown.
"We knew we had to get it down and none of us could climb onto the roof because it was dangerous, so we called the fire service.
"It took them a while but they were really good about it."

Ms Swift said the home is now considering a name change for their daredevil pet.
"We're happy to rename the rabbit Gertrude Bumper," she said.

David Doherty, the fire service's district commander for Omagh, said the rescue was "something a wee bit different on a Friday morning".
"Usually for animal rescues, we would pass the details on to the USPCA but the circumstances to this were a little bit different as we were told the animal had been blown onto the roof by the wind.
"When the crew got there, they found the storm had caught the rabbit's hutch enclosure and catapulted the rabbit up onto the roof.
"It was quite easy for them to go up there and rescue the rabbit."

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service posted about the unusual rescue on Facebook and said it required "one short extension ladder, one reach pole and one particularly tasty carrot". :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35440440

Lots of pics on page.

One of the weirdest meteorological phenomena out there "Ball Lightning". Ranging in size from pea sized to several meters. It's been known to explode with possible fatal consequences. It can burn and electrocute as well.

Back