• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

NSW and Tassie have experienced severe inundations over the past 48hrs. Never seen anything like the massive waterfalls pouring off the tablelands over high cliffs into the sea north of Sydney in places where there are no regular runoffs. This area experienced 2.5metres of rainfall over Sunday night! Tassie has had a rough year of it with 2 months solid of bushfires earlier this year. Several people washed away and missing after trying to cross rising creeks and rivers.

Ongoing reports here:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...-tasmania-mop-up-after-damaging-flood/7483816

Alternative reports and images.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/e3697742e514974248f27fbc66d7ddb5
Can't find any images or video of the coastal falls I saw on Sunday, but here's the type of terrain that it was gushing over.
This shows the ocean throwing it back during king tides.

cd9d1a4694fe630b2e67d25aa483716f

Can't find any images or video of the coastal falls I saw on Sunday, but here's the type of terrain that it was gushing over.
This shows the ocean throwing it back during king tides.

cd9d1a4694fe630b2e67d25aa483716f
Strewth!

Severe weather events around the world. The weather really is getting weirder.

Something else however - here around Falmouth it's flat calm over quite a large area, which is also a very rare event. The winds have been unusually light for days (weeks?) now. Food for thought...

NSW and Tassie have experienced severe inundations over the past 48hrs. Never seen anything like the massive waterfalls pouring off the tablelands over high cliffs into the sea north of Sydney in places where there are no regular runoffs. This area experienced 2.5metres of rainfall over Sunday night!

Seriously? Bloody hell that is beyond freaky.

Seriously?
Yup. According to reports a few days ago. Most places got over 1.5 metres down the eastern seaboard. Combined with the massive ocean swells battering those coasts, they're pretty wet at the moment.

We don't do anything by half measures in Australia - if you want rain, you get rain!

Torrential down pour today when I was out fishing. Not too unusual with a thunder storm (all fishing gear was packed away and I moved away from trees). But, I watched this wall of rain approaching over a field. It was really strange seeing the front like that.

Torrential down pour today when I was out fishing. Not too unusual with a thunder storm (all fishing gear was packed away and I moved away from trees). But, I watched this wall of rain approaching over a field. It was really strange seeing the front like that.
I've seen that too.
On one occasion, I saw one side of a road wet, and the other dry - for a while anyway, until the water sloshed across the road.

''Wind smashed van window while bouncy castle landed in village car park... It was pandemonium''

Terror at the village fair as children scramble off a bouncy castle seconds before a tornado whips it 30ft into the air
  • Two youngsters were playing on inflatable when funnel cloud hit the show
  • Freak storm battered coconut shy stand and picked up bits of marquee
  • Wind smashed van window while bouncy castle landed in village car park
  • Chairman of Friskney Village Show, Lincs, said: 'It was pandemonium'
By Steph Cockroft for MailOnline
Published: 09:58, 13 June 2016 | Updated: 12:29, 13 June 2016

Children were forced to scramble to safety after a tornado lifted a bouncy castle slide 30ft into the air during a village show.
The two youngsters were playing on the inflatable when the twister-style wind hit Friskney village show in Lincolnshire and whipped it up into the sky.
The freak flash storm, which lasted just a minute, then swept across the fete, battering the coconut shy stand and picking up pieces of the marquee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rnado-whips-30ft-air-smashes-nearby-road.html

Alice Springs hail: Red Centre turns white as storm damages buildings, powerlines

Wild hail storms have flooded parts of Alice Springs and forced the closure of some roads in the town.

Parts of the Red Centre were turned white, as the hail began falling about 4:00pm yesterday.

View image on Twitter
ClIns8mUsAMsK0Z.jpg:small

Follow
Claire Ryan @claireryan91

Um where do we live again? The snow or the bush .....?!#NTAustralia #AliceSprings

8:03 AM - 17 Jun 2016

There were reports of tree branches bringing down powerlines and extensive water damage to buildings, including the Alice Springs Hospital.

Clare Barker from NT Emergency Services said they were not expecting the hail storm to be so intense.

"The most important thing is that the public get behind us here and be prepared," Ms Barker said.

"Make sure that if you've got power that you've got some way of having some food tonight, make sure that you're taking cover, that your children, your family and your pets are safe."

The Bureau of Meteorology's Craig Earl-Spurr said two storms in quick succession dumped about 38 millimetres of rain in Alice Springs.

"If it [Alice Springs] does get thunderstorms it is about this time of the year, and there is a risk of hail," Mr Earl-Spurr said.

PHOTO It is not often a "snowman" can be made in Alice Springs.
ABC ALICE SPRINGS FACEBOOK

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...l-is-falls-on-alice/7521932?WT.mc_id=newsmail

Flaming June? Flippin' 'eck!
Travel disruption and floods in South East after thunderstorms

Thunderstorms have caused flooding in London and south-east England, with more than 300 emergency calls being made to the fire service overnight.
London Fire Brigade took a day's worth of calls in 90 minutes, with its crews attending flooded premises and roads, and properties hit by lightning.

A Met Office amber "be prepared" warning has been issued, and there were reports of 40mm of rain in some areas.
Rivers in Bromley and Sidcup in south-east London, and Basildon, Essex, are affected, and there are 24 flood alerts.

Meanwhile, Gatwick Express, Abellio Greater Anglia, South West Trains and Southern have warned of major delays on some rail routes.
In London, flooding has led to the suspension of services on the London Underground and on the overground services.

A fire service spokesman said: "Crews are being mobilised to incidents as quickly as possible but the brigade is appealing to people to only call 999 in an emergency - where there is a risk to life or property."

On Twitter, Transport for London posted incidents of localised flooding on roads, including the Blackwall Tunnel in the east of London, which was temporarily closed.

BBC Weather said there had been more 1,000 lightning strikes across the UK overnight, although the thunderstorms are easing.
The Met Office said the rain was brought on by increasingly warm and humid air arriving from France.
Its amber warning for London and parts of Kent, Sussex and Surrey was in effect until 06:00 BST. A yellow "be aware" warning covering a wider area of South East England is in place until 18:00 BST.

Forecasters are warning of the potential of a "second wave" of downpours later on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36603508

Alice Springs hail: Red Centre turns white as storm damages buildings, powerlines

Wild hail storms have flooded parts of Alice Springs and forced the closure of some roads in the town.

Parts of the Red Centre were turned white, as the hail began falling about 4:00pm yesterday.

View image on Twitter
ClIns8mUsAMsK0Z.jpg:small

Follow
Claire Ryan @claireryan91

Um where do we live again? The snow or the bush .....?!#NTAustralia #AliceSprings

8:03 AM - 17 Jun 2016

There were reports of tree branches bringing down powerlines and extensive water damage to buildings, including the Alice Springs Hospital.

Clare Barker from NT Emergency Services said they were not expecting the hail storm to be so intense.

"The most important thing is that the public get behind us here and be prepared," Ms Barker said.

"Make sure that if you've got power that you've got some way of having some food tonight, make sure that you're taking cover, that your children, your family and your pets are safe."

The Bureau of Meteorology's Craig Earl-Spurr said two storms in quick succession dumped about 38 millimetres of rain in Alice Springs.

"If it [Alice Springs] does get thunderstorms it is about this time of the year, and there is a risk of hail," Mr Earl-Spurr said.

PHOTO It is not often a "snowman" can be made in Alice Springs.

ABC ALICE SPRINGS FACEBOOK ...

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...l-is-falls-on-alice/7521932?WT.mc_id=newsmail
There was snow atop Uluru just a week before my first trip there in 1997. It is unusual to see such cold air producing over the centre. Even more rare is snow on our mountain locally, but this is likely in a few hours from now. I have photos of hail blanketing the slopes last year, but have never been on hand to capture the rare light snowfalls.

Stay tuned.

Flaming June? Flippin' 'eck!
Travel disruption and floods in South East after thunderstorms

Thunderstorms have caused flooding in London and south-east England, with more than 300 emergency calls being made to the fire service overnight.
London Fire Brigade took a day's worth of calls in 90 minutes, with its crews attending flooded premises and roads, and properties hit by lightning.

A Met Office amber "be prepared" warning has been issued, and there were reports of 40mm of rain in some areas.
Rivers in Bromley and Sidcup in south-east London, and Basildon, Essex, are affected, and there are 24 flood alerts.

Meanwhile, Gatwick Express, Abellio Greater Anglia, South West Trains and Southern have warned of major delays on some rail routes.
In London, flooding has led to the suspension of services on the London Underground and on the overground services.

A fire service spokesman said: "Crews are being mobilised to incidents as quickly as possible but the brigade is appealing to people to only call 999 in an emergency - where there is a risk to life or property."

On Twitter, Transport for London posted incidents of localised flooding on roads, including the Blackwall Tunnel in the east of London, which was temporarily closed.

BBC Weather said there had been more 1,000 lightning strikes across the UK overnight, although the thunderstorms are easing.
The Met Office said the rain was brought on by increasingly warm and humid air arriving from France.
Its amber warning for London and parts of Kent, Sussex and Surrey was in effect until 06:00 BST. A yellow "be aware" warning covering a wider area of South East England is in place until 18:00 BST.

Forecasters are warning of the potential of a "second wave" of downpours later on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36603508

The Glastonbury traffic snarl even made the news down here today. What a mess.

At Euston station today I spotted several small groups of youngish people in shorts and wellies, carrying big rucksacks, speaking anxiously into phones. They had 'Festival Goer' written all over them!

At Euston station today I spotted several small groups of youngish people in shorts and wellies, carrying big rucksacks, speaking anxiously into phones. They had 'Festival Goer' written all over them!

Goer refers to Goa. Obviously illegal immigrants

Did you stand on little mound watching it, pondering when you could join the Rebel Alliance while John Williams conducted an orchestra behind you?

No, I was pondering the next day's referendum result. "I've got a bad feeling about this" I said.

you were right.
I'm off to join the Rebel Alliance before Darth Farage gets going...

There was snow atop Uluru just a week before my first trip there in 1997. It is unusual to see such cold air producing over the centre. Even more rare is snow on our mountain locally, but this is likely in a few hours from now. I have photos of hail blanketing the slopes last year, but have never been on hand to capture the rare light snowfalls.

Stay tuned.
Aaaaand here it is.
7568568-3x2-340x227.jpg

Hm. Less a snowman than a dildo. Even the Alice made a better job of construction with hail. Shame, Adelaide.

Adelaide's wettest July day in 75 years keeps SES busy

Does this qualify as a Sun Dog?
Was there any suggestion of a second parhelion way off-frame to the right, as viewed?

(ps I've just had a (possibly entirely-unfounded) eureka thought....within the 'solar Christ' paradigm/postulation... is there an arguable resonance between the Father/Son/Holy Ghost apposition, and the rare-but-not-unseen trinity of two sun dogs plus the sun?
d122e5c6335aeb2f309fc8e574d3e02f.jpg

From the Nuremberg Chronicle...a nice superimposition of the solar crucifix, with the lunar cusp parenthesis, but also with what I'm suggesting is a putative 'sun trinity' below.

Comments?

the way your mind works, Erms

The Son of God is the Sun of God
o The sun “dies” for three days on December 22nd, the winter solstice, when it stops in its movement south, to be born again or resurrected on December 25th, when it resumes its movement north.

o In some areas, the calendar originally began in the constellation of Virgo, and the sun would therefore be “born of a Virgin.”

o The sun is the “Light of the World.”

o The sun “cometh on clouds, and every eye shall see him.”

o The sun rising in the morning is the “Savior of mankind.”

o The sun wears a corona, “crown of thorns” or halo.

o The sun changes water into wine by creating rain, ripening the grape on the vine and fermenting the grape juice.

o The sun “walks on water.”

o The sun’s “followers,” “helpers” or “disciples” are the 12 months and the 12 signs of the zodiac or constellations, through which the sun must pass.

o The sun at 12 noon is in the house or temple of the “Most High”; thus, “he” begins “his Father’s work” at “age” 12.

o The sun enters into each sign of the zodiac at 30°; hence, the “Sun of God” begins his ministry at “age” 30.

o The sun is hung on a cross or “crucified,” which represents its passing through the equinoxes, the vernal equinox being Easter, at which time it is then resurrected.

Does BIBLE mean Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth?

Holy Bible comes from the greek word Helios Biblos which means Sun Book (Helios=sun) (Biblos=book).

So Bible does NOT mean Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

The language of the Bible has got many into “believing” Jesus is the Son of God, when in truth, it is referring to the Sun. Jesus is the SUN, or Heru (Horus).

"The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the Sun, in which they put a man whom they call Christ, in the place of the Sun, and pay him the same adoration which was originally paid to the Sun"

Thomas Paine (Anglo-American revolutionary and writer, 1737-1809)
https://thetaleofbittertruth.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/christian-mythology/

Was there any suggestion of a second parhelion way off-frame to the right, as viewed?

Part of our house and some trees would have obscured it if there was. I suppose I could have left the house (the pics were taken from the bedroom window) for a better view, but I could see it was already diminishing. Lasted only about five minutes.

Heavy southern ocean squall cells passing through here currently. Today more than 80 trees down, so far, and apparently the worst is to hit in a few hours from now. One poor old bloke was struck down and killed by a falling gum limb as he was clearing a fallen gum limb from a neighbour's track.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/man-clearing-sa-storm-damage-killed-by-falling-tree/7586628

Hatches well and truly battened. Could be another noisy night. Hope we don't get a power outage. We're on the edge of the severe weather warning zone at the moment. Possibly snow overnight in our area too. Bloody weird weather.

Heavy southern ocean squall cells passing through here currently. Today more than 80 trees down, so far, and apparently the worst is to hit in a few hours from now. One poor old bloke was struck down and killed by a falling gum limb as he was clearing a fallen gum limb from a neighbour's track.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/man-clearing-sa-storm-damage-killed-by-falling-tree/7586628

Hatches well and truly battened. Could be another noisy night. Hope we don't get a power outage. We're on the edge of the severe weather warning zone at the moment. Possibly snow overnight in our area too. Bloody weird weather.

:( Sad news about the man's death. Stay safe, skinny!

Back