• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

We got some snow around midday. Not near me though. This is at Stirling on my route to work. Bureau says there's a likelihood of snow again overnight.
7621762-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-12/trees-and-powerlines-down-as-front-smashes-sa/7588372

We had power out for about 4 hours and it has been hailing intermittently throughout the day. We've had these antarctic blasts before but not for more than 24 hours. This will start to wear on the residents before long. I saw a gum tree with a 4-5m circumference trunk snapped off about 1.5 m above ground level. I saw this happen in 2009 to some younger slimmer trunks across the road. It usually happens when we get heavy gusts and rain after a drought. We haven't had a winter like this in quite a few years. Might head out with the digicam again after the kids are in bed. Try my luck for some snowfall.

After this roasting day, we now have Blood Rain forecast!

"The Met Office said that on Wednesday a phenomenon known as “blood rain” could hit the south-west, Midlands and north of England. The meteorological quirk happens when dust from the Sahara desert is blown into the atmosphere and then falls on Britain in thundery showers."

We shall see if this classic and baleful Fortean weather arrives on cue! It suits my mood. :rolleyes:

Wind Shock

I had a search for a weird weather thread, but I couldn't find one. This article describes a phenomena that is new to me:

'Multiple suns, upside-down mountains and rainbow halos are part of the fairytale landscape in the perilous Antarctic winter.

Wind gusting in a swirling vortex, which can reach 80 knots (96 mph), creates electrical charges strong enough to light neon tubes spontaneously and give people outdoors powerful shocks...

"Another weird effect is when the ice mist forms a rainbow halo around your head. It's almost spiritual," [physicist Mike Mathews] said.

One of the most disconcerting things is a powerful electric jolt which people get if they bump into each other outside when the wind is blowing strongly.

"It goes right through the soles of your shoes, even though they are rubber and two cms thick. It's not dangerous but you still get sore," Mathews said. "And if you take neon lights outside they would glow by themselves." '

I've never heard of wind carrying an electrical charge before. Anyone any info on this?

I've been searching for weird weather sites to try and answer my following question below. can anyone help?

This maybe absolutely nothing but it does leave me slightly perplexed. Around 11:50 (July 28th 2016) last night I had just climbed into bed and was attempting to drift away to a peaceful sleep. At this point I was still very much wide awake. I had both windows open as my bedroom was quite stuffy. There was very little in the way of ambient noise coming from outside, very little wind/weather and no cars passing, etc. Suddenly I became aware that the wind had picked up. At first I thought it was rain but soon realised it was the sound of wind rustling the leaves. Roughly after 10 seconds of the wind picking up, there came a rattling sound or vibrating sound, as if something was being directly affected by the wind. I believed the sound to be at first coming from the window ledge. After 60 seconds of this noise I was becoming increasingly annoyed by it and was just about to get up to investigate, when the noise and the wind suddenly ceased. There was then a deathly silence from outside. I thought how odd it was that the wind should only blow for roughly 60 seconds? The next morning i checked my window ledge and it was void of any ornaments or objects. I went over to the full sized mirror that my girlfriend places against the far wall (furthest from the window) and I discovered, by tapping the cheap wooden frame against the wall, that this was indeed the rattling sound I had heard last night. The mirror is too heavy to be affected by the wind. I immediately thought that we had perhaps experienced a small earthquake/tremor. But I my question is, would this have affected the wind/atmosphere. Aristotle believed that there was a direct link between winds and earthquakes but hasn't modern science disproved this?
Any thoughts folks? I live in Droitwich, Worcestershire, UK. If anyone else experienced this or something similar, then please let me know. I'm not concerned by the experience, just fascinated.

Many thanks.

I was unsure whether to put this two video in the UFO video sightings thread or this thread.
I chose the Weird Weather thread since I think this is a ball lightning not UFOs.

Last edited:
Macedonia storm: At least 20 die overnight in freak deluge

At least 20 people have died in floods that hit the Macedonian capital, Skopje, following torrential rain.
The victims' bodies were found on Sunday morning after the storm passed. Several people are still missing.
Some of the victims drowned in their cars. Parts of the city's ring road were swept away in the floods, dragging cars into nearby fields.

Three-and-a-half inches (93mm) of rain fell in Skopje in the storm - more than the average for the whole of August.
The water level reached as high as five feet (1.5 metres) in some of the affected areas, reports said.
"Everything was a mess. Televisions, the fridge, the sofa, everything was floating... it was a nightmare," said Baze Spriovski, a 43-year-old from Singelic in the outskirts of Skopje.

Many homes remain flooded and without electricity; some are reported to have collapsed.
The authorities have declared a crisis situation in Skopje and Tetovo for the next 15 days, the Macedonian Information Agency said.
The Mayor of Skopje, Kove Trajanovski, said: "This is a disaster. We have never experienced such a thing."
"There were thunderbolts with lightning almost every second. It was really horrific," said Biljana Joneska, 62, in Skopje.

Local media reported that ambulances were called out 65 times across the city, more than 20 people were treated in hospital, and the army was called in to help.

Three villages in the north-east of the country were cut off because of landslides.
Police said about 70 vehicles were stuck because of one such incident between the villages of Stajkovci and Radisani.

Health authorities have advised residents in the worst hit areas to use only bottled water or water from public authority cisterns for drinking and cooking.
More rain is forecast for Sunday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37002364

Photos and a video on page.
They said Global Warming would lead to more severe weather...

'Historic' Louisiana flooding: Three dead and thousands rescued

At least three people have died and thousands have been rescued after "historic" flooding swamped the US state of Louisiana.
The National Guard and emergency teams have used helicopters to rescue people stranded in their homes or cars.
Searches are continuing for missing people, as the rain is expected to continue over the weekend.
The heavy rainfall started on Friday where some areas received more than 17ins (43cm) of rain.
The neighbouring states of Alabama and Mississippi are also experiencing severe weather.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency on Friday. On Saturday he said: "This is an ongoing event. We're still in response mode."
He and his family were relocated after water flooded their basement.

"This is a flood of epic proportions," JR Shelton, the mayor of Central City told The Advocate newspaper. "When we talk about floods now, we'll talk about the great flood of 2016. everything else pales in comparison."

Shanita Angrum, 32, called the police when she realised her family were trapped in their home. An officer arrived and carried her six-year-old daughter to safety.
"Snakes were everywhere," she told Associated Press. "The whole time I was just praying for God to make sure me and my family were OK."

John Mitchell, a 23-year-old Louisiana resident, was forced to swim to safety with his girlfriend and her one-year-old daughter. They were rescued by police officers in a boat.
"This is the worst it's been, ever,'' Mr Mitchell said. "We tried to wait it out, but we had to get out."

etc... (photos and video on page)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37073873

Yet another extreme weather event:
California wildfires: Ferocious fires evict thousands

Firefighters are continuing to tackle a huge blaze in southern California, with several of them describing it as the most ferocious they have ever seen.
An evacuation order has been issued for an area home to more than 82,000 people, just east of Los Angeles.
The Blue Cut fire, as it has been named, has destroyed homes and disrupted transport links between California and Nevada.
Some people have been running for their lives just ahead of the flames.

The blaze first ignited on Tuesday in a drought-ravaged mountain pass and a day later it had spread across nearly 47 square miles (12,200 hectares).
The flames have advanced, out of control, despite the efforts of 1,300 firefighters.
Commander Mike Wakoski said he had never seen such extreme conditions in 40 years of service.

"There will be a lot of families that come home to nothing," said San Bernardino County Fire Chief Mark Hartwig.
"It hit hard. It hit fast. It hit with an intensity that we hadn't seen before," he added.

There are no known fatalities but dogs are searching the ruins for bodies.
Authorities have been unable to say how many homes have been destroyed, but some fear it will be in the hundreds.

More reporting, photos and videos on page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37113697

Florida storm upgraded to hurricane
[This is not the storm I mentioned in Lone CG; that one is already mid-Atlantic, heading our way...]
Video:

Tropical Storm Hermine has strengthened into a hurricane, threatening to bring a dangerous storm surge to Florida.
Hermine is expected to make landfall on the northern Florida Gulf Coast early on Friday - the first hurricane to hit the state since 2005.
Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency for 51 counties as residents were braced for the dangerous storm.
Wind gusts reached 80mph (130kmph) on Thursday, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) said.

"This is life threatening. We have not had a hurricane in years," Governor Scott said.
He added that 8,000 members of the Florida National Guard were prepared to be deployed in the wake of the storm.
Mr Scott ordered evacuations in five counties in Florida's north-west and called for voluntary evacuations in three other coastal counties.
The city of St Petersburg near Tampa was littered with downed palm fronds and tree branches, and low-lying streets were flooded.
Power cuts have hit thousands of homes in north Florida.

Weather officials predict Hermine will also hit Georgia and the Carolinas, and could bring heavy rains along the East Coast in the coming days.
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal also has declared a state of emergency for 56 counties.

The last hurricane to strike Florida was Wilma in 2005, which made landfall in the US the same year as Katrina and caused five deaths and an estimated $23bn (£17bn) of damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37248359

Florida coast battered by Hurricane Hermine
Video

The first hurricane to hit Florida in a decade has killed one person, caused severe damage and knocked out power to nearly 300,000 homes and businesses.
Now downgraded to a tropical storm, it is pushing north-eastward. Emergencies have been declared in Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland and Virginia.

A state of emergency remains in effect for most of Florida.
There are concerns over stagnant water in the state, which has been battling the mosquito-born Zika virus.

Gusts of 80mph (130km/h) caused storm surges that flooded part of the Florida coast.
In the town of Cedar Key, waters rose more than 9.5ft (2.9 metres), among the highest surges ever seen, according to the National Weather Service.

A 56-year-old man died when a tree fell on the tent he was sleeping in, local media reported.

After making landfall early on Friday, Hermine swept through Florida and Georgia.
Having weakened to a tropical storm, it entered South Carolina, where local officials have reported flooded roads, fallen trees and power outages.

But the National Hurricane Center predicted it would regain hurricane strength after emerging into the Atlantic Ocean, and a tropical storm warning was issued for parts of New Jersey, Connecticut and New York City.
It is expected the storm conditions will reach New York on Sunday.

The US Coast Guard also warned boaters and swimmers along the New York and New Jersey coasts to use caution in what is expected to be rough surf and hazardous rip currents this weekend.

Zika fears
There are also fears that the stagnant water caused by the storm surge in Florida could provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
There have been 47 cases of Zika in people believed to have contracted the virus through local mosquitoes, according to the Florida Department of Health.
"It is incredibly important that everyone does their part to combat the Zika virus by dumping standing water, no matter how small," Florida Governor Rick Scott told a news conference on Friday.

Police in Taylor County, Florida, that has a population of more than 20,000, said the storm had inflicted "severe damage".
In the state capital Tallahassee, at least 70,000 homes were without power at one point, affecting 60% of people in the region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37248359

Wow! That would have been truly emotional.

Sorry Giz, that has to be uploaded in multiple arenas. Awesome events of Mum Nature thread for the Youtube version (I detest friendface).
/

Sorry about that!:oops:

Oh I wasn't expressing any distaste towards you whatsoever. I love the vid. Thanks for bringing it.

I miss read your first post as saying it "had been posted" in various threads here. ( LOL... and now I see it has been!)
Glad you liked it!
And I'm not a big fan of facebook, either.

Watching the solar eclipse on the 100% line here in the UK years ago made me feel emotional and insignificant. I can only imagine what that must have been like to witness.

Brilliant but rather sad that seriously rich people with no moral compass still pay some 'experts' to deny that human activity has anything to do with climate change. Muddying the waters may be an old trick, but is still effective.

Not so very weird, perhaps, after a very humid day but it has gone very dark. Huge raindrops, flashes of lightning and thunder like two sets of kettle-drums.

I was planning a trip to the shops - looks like I'll need the headlamps on! :eek:

Edit 6.46 pm
Bloody hell! Glad I delayed going out. This developed into the maddest thunder-storm I have ever witnessed. Some very close strikes, I think and almost certainly some damage will have been done.

It may be retreating a bit now . . . :cry:

Last edited:
I am convinced much of the extreme weather we are having recently is
the result of so called weather modification experiments by governments and military.

But on another note I was asked some time back if I remember any so called "Dark Days"
he said he remembers being sent home early from school so likely 50 years back due to it
going pitch dark in the middle of the day, I do have some sort of hazy recollection of something
like that has anyone else?

It's been dull here most of the day (them greedy types in the SE have hogged all the sun and heatwave).

We had a thunderstorm here too. When I got back to the computer from watching some TV I found it was switched off - I suspect a power glitch during the storm. When I got it up and running again I found the sound wasn't working - not something that happens often, so it took a while to realise the audio had muted itself.

Ruddy weather!

Manchester was flooded and the tram system has been down: the tracks looked like canals!

My bay started leaking again:-( On the brighter side, I was there to prevent any serious damage.

I have been researching flat-roof repairs and may need to invest in a heat-gun! :oops:

Manchester was flooded and the tram system has been down: the tracks looked like canals!

My bay started leaking again:-( On the brighter side, I was there to prevent any serious damage.

I have been researching flat-roof repairs and may need to invest in a heat-gun! :oops:
You have a bay window with a flat roof? I suppose a quick fix (until you can get someone to fit a proper tiled roof) is bitumen caulking applied like lard.

Gloriously sunny hot week so far in the south! Just hit 30 degress C in Sussex yesterday, it's up to 26 so far today.

Don't mean to rub it in or owt....

People 'trapped in homes' by floodwater in Cornwall

People were "trapped in their homes" by floodwater after lightning and heavy rain caused chaos in parts of Cornwall.

Water was up to waist height in some areas and more than 400 homes were left without power.

The storms began at about 15:00 BST on Tuesday and lasted for more than 12 hours. A number of schools remain closed.

One person needed medical treatment after a terrace of four houses was struck by lightning.

The floods caused problems across Falmouth, Camborne, Helston and Redruth.

BBC Weather forecaster Kevin Thomas said a further severe storm happened between 19:00 and 20:00, with another one at about 03:00 on Wednesday.

[Pics and vids]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37358536

Post-heatwave storm brings flash floods causing widespread disruption

Flash flooding has caused travel chaos in parts of England as thunderstorms dumped almost half a month's rain in some parts overnight.
A train from Milton Keynes to Euston has derailed near Watford Junction, but there are no details of injuries.
There are reports of roads and properties flooded across Surrey, Hampshire, Hertfordshire and London after rain moved in from the Channel.

Commuters have been warned of severe disruption with more rain on the way.
The disruption includes:
  • The derailment of the London Midland 06:19 BST service from Milton Keynes to Euston near Watford Junction
  • Waterlogged rail stations and roads, including Didcot Parkway, Newbury and Chieveley stations across Oxfordshire
  • Major problems on the M4 and M40 due to flooding
  • A house struck by lightning near Woking, while crews pumped water out of premises across the county
There is the the potential for "exceptionally large amounts of rain within a few hours" with frequent lightning and hail as additional hazards, the Met Office said.
Whilst there remains some uncertainty about developments and areas affected, there could be major disruption, it added.

Met Office meteorologist Martin Combe said 32.8mm of rain had fallen in just three hours in Farnborough, Hampshire - nearly half the 70mm average for September.
He said: "The showers and thunderstorms are going to carry on for quite some time moving slowly north and eastwards, remaining around London through the morning and all afternoon in East Anglia.

"They will eventually clear off to the east, but it will be cool behind them. While it won't be any colder than average it is going to feel a lot cooler than it has been."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37382361

Cornwall sniggers! :evil:

Not so very weird, perhaps, after a very humid day but it has gone very dark. Huge raindrops, flashes of lightning and thunder like two sets of kettle-drums.

I was planning a trip to the shops - looks like I'll need the headlamps on! :eek:

Edit 6.46 pm
Bloody hell! Glad I delayed going out. This developed into the maddest thunder-storm I have ever witnessed. Some very close strikes, I think and almost certainly some damage will have been done.

It may be retreating a bit now . . . :cry:

Bloody hell indeed. Although the rain in the Midlands was heavy on Tuesday, I've seen it like that a few times before. The lightning, on the other hand, was truly ferocious. For the last 30 minutes of my commute home, I would say that I saw well over 30 impressive lightning bolts, plus the odd sheet lighting up the dark clouds.

I'm fairly convinced that I even felt one of the lightning strikes. I experienced a strange tingling in my hands, and only a few seconds later, I saw a huge jagged bolt strike a field a couple of hundred yards away.

Viewers left terrified as BBC weather announces 'Nazi ghosts' are encroaching on the UK
BBC WALES viewers were left terrified yesterday after a weather report announced that "Nazi ghosts" would be making their way to the UK.

However, despite viewers immediately taking to Twitter to voice their shock, the announcement was purely an issue with the subtitles, which were supposed to read "North Sea coasts".

Forecaster Sue Charles was reciting the sentence "bringing some rain along the North Sea coasts" but it was instead translated onto the below-screen subtitles as "bringing some rain along the Nazi ghosts".

This sent Welsh viewers into a tailspin, fearing that Adolf Hitler had risen from the dead and was leading the rest of the Nazis across the ocean to open attack on the country.

The technical glitch was purely down to the BBC's subtitling system that operates on automatic transcription.

The-simple-report-of-rain-turned-into-widespread-thunder-lightening-and-flash-flooding-656181.jpg

Viewers were sure to post their reactions on Twitter. "Nazi ghosts? Will I need a brolly or sun cream I'm confused," one wrote.

"I'm a bit worried about my family... Nazi ghosts sound mean," joked a second viewer.

"Nazi ghosts? FFS I've just washed the car!" a third quipped.

Wales and weather have been the subject of subtitle gaffes on TV in the past.

A few years ago, mis-written subtitling announced that "Wales has died after suffering an embolism", and when Hurricane Sandy hit New York in 2012 BBC reported that "thankfully, right now, we have gin".

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...ied-BBC-weather-Nazi-ghosts-Wales-Sue-Charles

Back