• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I actually had a dream. I walked up to a small house that was curiously in the middle of a public car park. It was a red-brick Victorian house and had a for sale notice outside. The owner was outside, so he tried to sell me the house. I rather liked it, but I woke up before the dream came to a sensible end.

I found some very smelly, (odd in itself I don't remember smells), cloths/robes in a forest took them home washed them after putting them on I went outside I began to notice other people normal-sized but also not human. At times I could will myself to be as tall as a house.

It was hard as my perception kept shifting from elf to human. Building people would change and it was a struggle to hang onto the elf. Weird stuff happened such as having a fight with a police van and having winged black cats fly to me to pay homage.

I don't know what must have gotten into the soup I made the evening before.

Last edited:
I found some very smelly, (odd in itself I don't remember smells), cloths/robes in a forest ...

Did you actually smell the smells, or did you simply "know" they were smelly? Registering smells and tastes represent the rarest of dream perceptual abilities.

Did you actually smell the smells, or did you simply "know" they were smelly? Registering smells and tastes represent the rarest of dream perceptual abilities.

Nope smelt them - a very sweaty sock smell. I can't recall smelling anything in a dream before TBH.

This was actually last week, but I forgot to post it then. I had a very short but very peculiar dream, which consisted entirely of me finding out that Jeremy Brett had done a series of TV shows in which he played Hercule Poirot.

Yup, you can smell things in your sleep. Ancient anecdote time -

I liked to feed my dogs fresh boiled offal, which they loved, but it made them astoundingly flatulent when they'd sleep in my room.
One night they farted so foully that I dreamed I fell in an open sewer and was drowning. Worse than any Night Hag.

I think Enola is saying that it is rare to actually dream smell. So if you had been dreaming of and smelling roses while your dogs were farting then that would be a rare occurance. Though much more pleasant!

I think Enola is saying that it is rare to actually dream smell. So if you had been dreaming of and smelling roses while your dogs were farting then that would be a rare occurance. Though much more pleasant!

Right - that's what I meant. It's certainly possible to "register" an actual smell in the environment and weave it into one's dreaming. It's much more rare to create a smell or taste experience from scratch within the dream itself. These chemical senses are the most environmentally dependent senses in terms of being unavoidably driven by the raw input. Recreating their outcomes in the absence of environmental stimuli requires some high-fidelity imaginative capacity (i.e., one aspect of "lucidity").

I liked to feed my dogs fresh boiled offal, which they loved, but it made them astoundingly flatulent when they'd sleep in my room.
One night they farted so foully that I dreamed I fell in an open sewer and was drowning. Worse than any Night Hag.

Yerr that's right blame the dogs, shame on you..:roll:

Right - that's what I meant. It's certainly possible to "register" an actual smell in the environment and weave it into one's dreaming. It's much more rare to create a smell or taste experience from scratch within the dream itself. These chemical senses are the most environmentally dependent senses in terms of being unavoidably driven by the raw input. Recreating their outcomes in the absence of environmental stimuli requires some high-fidelity imaginative capacity (i.e., one aspect of "lucidity").

Yeah, I know. I have been woken up by the smell of smoke at night as well as the awful canine guffs. Can't remember smelling anything only in a dream, though I bet I will now!

Right, you lot, and especially @Stormkhan -

Dreamed last night I was starving hungry (normal for me, every 2 hours or so) and rooted in the tin cupboard for something quick to eat.

Came across nothing of interest until I found a can with no label. It was heavy so I thought it was probably refried beans or mac cheese that I could eat from the can with a fork or spoon.

The can was soon opened, hmm, what's this? Some kind of grey/brown food packed in tight?

I shrugged and dug the fork in.

After a few mouthfuls I began to have suspicions. The food was palatable but very bland. Meaty, not salty, no onions...

Dog food, had to be. Cat food would have smelled more strongly and maybe of fish. I was eating dog food, and not the dearer sort. Possibly Chappie.

I'm blaming you lot. You made me dream I was eating dog food.

Right, you lot, and especially @Stormkhan -

Dreamed last night I was starving hungry (normal for me, every 2 hours or so) and rooted in the tin cupboard for something quick to eat.

Came across nothing of interest until I found a can with no label. It was heavy so I thought it was probably refried beans or mac cheese that I could eat from the can with a fork or spoon.

The can was soon opened, hmm, what's this? Some kind of grey/brown food packed in tight?

I shrugged and dug the fork in.

After a few mouthfuls I began to have suspicions. The food was palatable but very bland. Meaty, not salty, no onions...

Dog food, had to be. Cat food would have smelled more strongly and maybe of fish. I was eating dog food, and not the dearer sort. Possibly Chappie.

I'm blaming you lot. You made me dream I was eating dog food.

Never mind it will give you a nice glossy coat..:twothumbs:

Oh, and I also remember that in the dream last night I suspected I was dreaming as I was pretty sure you weren't allowed to sleep together given we are not allowed to be within 2m of each other and in Scotland you are not even allowed in each others house yet. So I remembered about the smell thing and took a big sniff to see if I smelled anything. I did so I concluded it was real. It is very unusual for me to be fooled by a dream!

Yes to clarify I did not have smelly feet, neither did my wife, cats, or anything else at the time of the dream.

Unless some elves who are out of the shoe manufacturer business turned up and bathed my feet during the night.

edit: cats can have slightly cheesy smelling pads and sometimes with our cat Prisels - horrible smelling toes involving a regular trip to the vets.

Not the night of my dream.

Last night I dreamt that I was in an older type pf house-maybe 1930's- looking out of the window through a lace curtain.
I could see two tall dark clothed military looking men carrying rifles and accompanying an official looking woman. They came up to the door and she used a hammer she was carrying to knock on the door.
Someone let them in and they went up the stairs.
After a bit I thought that I should go up and see what was happening.
I started to go up but then woke.

Not sure if this was one dream, or three seperate dreams, but I dreamt I was on a boat that was being attacked by a kraken, then I was in the backyard at home, holding part of the boat railing in my hand, wondering where the boat went as a policeman told me Tom Cruise had been arrested for harassing the coast guard. I thought, Good, about time. Then the mail arrived included several packages, including a free diary for 2021, which I thought was very handy...

Last edited:
t'other night my dream was of a place I seemed to know well, although on waking I didn't recognise it. A narrow river running through a quaint touristy place. Lots of pale stonework.

I was on my bike in my MABIL* gear, on a humpbacked stone bridge looking down to the river below. The water was moving quickly and there were long water weeds either side waving in the current. All very normal.

However, I then noticed something emerging from under the bridge and floating along in the water. It looked like something I'd never seen before, which is a giant red plastic dildo. What the actual?

I looked hard at it, trying to work out if that's really what it was, and thought it might be one of those kids' moulded plastic toy swords. Yes, that must be it!
Nope, it was definitely a giant red plastic dildo. Floating downstream without a care in the world, as if it belonged there. I watched it sail away out of sight.

Dunno what that was about!

Back in the real world @OneWingedBird posted a photo elsewhere yesterday of Ivana Trump holding a giant dildo, which reminded me of my dream. Weird.

*Middle Aged Bitch In Lycra

I've had two very vivid dreams recently. My father has been in hospital for a few weeks and has limited mobility due to spinal fractures.

So about a week ago, I dreamt that it was night time and we were standing in some sort of 1970's style inner courtyard with concrete plant pots. He was dancing in torrential rain wearing pyjamas and sheepskin slippers. He was jumping in puddles and laughing like a child. He kept raising his hands up and saying that the pain was gone and he was OK again. He was dancing a jigg and I was so happy that he could move again.

I awoke and presumed that I was worried about his health and the dream was my way of wishing him better. I got a call later that day to say that they had found cancer and their main aim was to make him pain free as it was terminal.

I'm in the UK right now having travelled here to visit my father - they moved him to a hospice 4 days ago. I was told that when I arrived I was to go into his private room via the patio doors from the garden. When I got there, the garden was an inner courtyard with concrete flower pots. I can honestly saw that I recognised the configuration and placement of the pots and other features from my dream including the size and shape of other elements in the garden. I was totally shocked but honestly not surprised (for some reason). It wasn't 70's style like in my dream but otherwise it was the same layout. The place where my father had been dancing in my dream was actually the patio doors into his room.

That first night after visiting him (Friday night) there was a massive thunder and lightning storm with torrential rain. I expected him to die that night to tie in with my dream but he didn't. He held on a bit and died in his sleep this morning.

This is the closet I've ever got to a vivid premonition or precognition.

I'm in the UK right now having travelled here to visit my father - they moved him to a hospice 4 days ago. I was told that when I arrived I was to go into his private room via the patio doors from the garden. When I got there, the garden was an inner courtyard with concrete flower pots. I can honestly saw that I recognised the configuration and placement of the pots and other features from my dream including the size and shape of other elements in the garden. I was totally shocked but honestly not surprised (for some reason). It wasn't 70's style like in my dream but otherwise it was the same layout. The place where my father had been dancing in my dream was actually the patio doors into his room.

That first night after visiting him (Friday night) there was a massive thunder and lightning storm with torrential rain. I expected him to die that night to tie in with my dream but he didn't. He held on a bit and died in his sleep this morning.

My condolences, take care.

Condolences, Ringo ... At least you had the opportunity to see him again before the end.

The correlations between the dream and the hospice scene are remarkable.

Deepest condolences and sympathies from both Tigerhawk and myself. Take care.

Sorry to hear that, at least you got to see him first.

Back