• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whatever Happened To Lord Lucan?

He went off to South Africa
That's what I heard
either that or he's running Pickwick Papers, a newsagents here in Oxford...

Niles "Not Vanishing" Calder

Clearly, he's in an exclusive bridge club with Judge Crater, Ambrose Bierce, and Bela Kiss.

As I see it there are two main possibilities. He killed himself or he was spirited out of the country by his coterie of wealthy and influential friends.
Either way, he was officially declared dead in 1999 which allowed his son to succeed to the title and estate.

It took that long for him to be declared dead? Is this usual, or did many think him alive?

In America, you need seven years of "non-activity" for you to be declared dead.

If I remember correctly it is seven years in the UK too.Don't really know why it took so long in the case of Lucan though, some sort of legal entanglements. I think the family wanted to do it sooner

I heard he rode off into the sunset on Shergar. :rolleyes:

How old would he be now? Is it likley he is still alive? I don't think he is. He probably went on the run and eventually topped himself. Otherwise one of our exclusive hungry journalists would have tracked him down by now.

Is it still the theory that he killed the maid because he thought it was his wife?

He chucked himself off the cross-channel ferry and is probably floating on the same lilo as Maxwell!!

A strange turn of events happened when David Hardy, a young Grenadier Guards officer, was killed in a road accident in Essex in 1980.

Whilst flicking through the young man's address book, an entry caught the police's attention :

Lord Lucan,
c/o Hotel Les Ambassadeurs,
Beira,
Mozambique.

Since then, it has been widely speculated that Lucan has been hiding out in Mozambique/Botswana, possibly on one of the large privately-owned game estates there, or under a new identity in South Africa.

The mystery deepened when staff at the Hotel referred the police to another hotel nearby, where an entry in the register showed that a Mr and Mrs Maxwell-Scott had stayed there. Susan Maxwell-Scott was visited by Lord Lucan on the night of the murder, but denied ever visiting Mozambique when quizzed by police.

If you have the kind of cash and contacts that Lucan had, 'disappearing' would be no problem at all, investigative journalists notwithstanding. Bin Laden, Radovan Karadic, various high-ranking Nazi's... the list is endless.
It would seem highly unlikely that he would use his own name, even as a source of misdirection,not least because it would start people looking again. Letting the trail go cold would be the only sensible option.

It was the childrens' nanny he killed, not the maid. And I think it's pretty obvious he was trying to kill his wife; as I remember, he jumped out and banged her over the head in a poorly-lit corridor, and the two women were of broadly similiar appearance. He had influential friends (and certainly got help from one or two of them straight afterwards), but I'm not sure he would have had enough ready cash available for a lifetime on the run - he gambled heavily, remember. Was there an insurance policy out on his wife?
Personally, I think he topped himself soon after, probably throwing himself off the Channel ferry.

The problem being that the channel currents tend to deposit bodies quite well - eventually bodies will bloat with gas caused by decomposition and become quite bouyant, floating about and eventually ending up on a beach somewhere.

It's been estimated that you'd need a 300kg weight to keep a body down at the bottom of the channel for any length of time. No one person would be capable of lifting this themselves, so he'd have to be chained to the apocryphal "speedboat".

... probably floating on the same lilo as Maxwell!!

Maxwell's body was recovered. He was buried on the Mount of Olives - implying special service to Israel. A very different lilo.

Sandra Rivett's murder and the attack on Lady Lucan seems almost Cluedo - esque; gambling aristocrat ex guardsman; Belgravia basement; lead pipe. A case for Sherlock Holmes or maybe Miss Marple. Even the Police involved now seem almost stereotypically baffled and bungling.

I don't think that the investigation ever properly established what really took place that evening. The evidence and statements collected were quite contradictory. None the key statements seem entirely complete.

Lucan is still alive.
I remember My father telling me of a wealthy English Gent named Lewis Caan. My father travels in quite high circles and has worked for the government in various parts of the world. He talked about Hotels and shooting parties. The name stuck in my mind because at the time I was reading the Jungle book. It must have been some 12 years ago now.

I always thought the Lucan puppet in Spitting Image that always served behind the bar was Freddie Mercury, maybe he's fronting a Queen tribute band.

I read that he had gone to Botswana too, and that Scotland Yard had observed his children making frequent visits to the area. I have no idea whether this is true though. If you were a conspiracy theorist, you could say that this was a contributing factor to the length of time it took to declare him dead.

Maybe he's sitting at his computer laughing at us right now... :rolleyes:

Wasn't the nanny just a temp ? The usual nanny ,who would normally have been working in the house got off- for a while. She was murdered anyway later on, though I can't remember when , I do recall reading about it in the paper . Can anyone else remember this ? All I remember was it was a boyfriend and she was found tied up .
marion

The detective in charge of the case definitely thought Lucan had managed to 'vanish' somewhere in Southern Africa.

As mentioned above, the suicide in the channel/North Sea theory doesn't hold water (sorry) because of the weights required to keep a gas-bloated body down - he'd have turned up somewhere on a North Sea coast.

Another theory is that a rich friend with a private aeroplane initially got him to France, where it was easier to vanish - Graham Hill has been mentioned as a possibility. It does seem that the police didn't/couldn't pressure his 'set' as much as one might wish......

And he's due to ride Shergar in next year's Grand National. Glenn Miller is the trainer, and Elvis is stable lad. :rolleyes:

I once had a conversation with a taxi driver who swore he had given Lucan a lift to a flat in Battersea the night after the murder.

There's always the possibility that Lucan was innocent and was framed by the real murderer. Has anyone checked the family estate for his body?

Otherwise, I agree with Niles - the bloke in Pickwick Papers does seem oddly familiar...

Jane.

Yeah, that's a common occurance in murder cases. Poor people with nothing to gain framing unrelated rich perps just for the fun of it.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's a common occurance in murder cases. Poor people with nothing to gain framing unrelated rich perps just for the fun of it.

:rolleyes:

I remember about ten years ago reading an article in a Sunday magazine about two remote viewers who claimed to be able to answer questions like this. They were asked stuff like "where is the Brinks Mat gold bullion?" and "Where is Terry Waite?" (no-one knew at the time). As for Lucan, they claimed he was working on a ranch in the Australian outback, having had some plastic surgery.
Well, they said Terry Waite was alive, so who knows? :p

Is this the latest sighting of Lord Lucan???

From Annanova

'Mystery angel' saves bus from armed robbers then disappears

A man described as a "mystery angel" disappeared after shooting three armed robbers holding up a bus in Brazil.

Reports say the armed gang was about to kill the conductor and rob the passengers in Sao Paulo.

Witness say he told them to say nothing, before disappearing. One of the robbers later died in hospital.

Witnesses told Estado de SP the tall, bald man stood up after the gang had threatened to kill the conductor. Without saying a word he then shot all three. Two were taken to hospital where one of them died.

The third escaped with around £50 he'd already stolen from the conductor.

The conductor, Eleandro Nilson Moacyr, said: "A mystery angel in a blue suit saved my life. He got out of the bus right after he shot the robbers and said, `No-one saw anything. No-one knows anything.'"

Police investigating the shootings have no information about the identity of the mystery man.

LL as a guardian angel? Nah... bit out of character don't you think?

Check out this site for Lady Lucan's official position (assuming it really is her site). The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Jane.

PS check out the designer credit too (lower left corner on first screen). Odd or what?

mejane said:
LL The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Or altenatively, she is sick of having to reiterate the same old points over and over again...

Lady Lucan would have nothing to gain by shielding him if he were alive. Also, remember at the time of Sandra Rivett's murder the couple were involved in a bitter separation. The fact that it seems highly probable that Lady Lucan was also the intended victim, I doubt very much that she would be interested in protecting him.

You Get What Justice You Pay For

Funny how clear-cut things are when the cops focus on me or you, but are blurry and fuzzy and unclear as hell when dealing with the rich and connected.

Lucan's on a coast somewhere behind his plastic face sipping a Tom Collins and laughing at us all. And probably diddlling the new maid, to boot.

mejane said:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I tend to accept that Lady L was the intended victim. Lady L certainly appears to believe this, and has had to put up with all manner of crap over the years, some of it from her own family and 'friends'. So she's hacked off with it - wouldn't you be?

OK, a criminal court may not have had enough evidence to convict LL, and coroner's court rules were changed after this case to stop people being blamed 'on the balance of probability' (at least, I think that's what it was called). Fair enough.

But the chances of the murderer being someone else (ie, not LL) are pretty remote, and it seems likely that he didn't do 'the honourable thing' (because that appears to be somewhat out of character), so, for a time at least, he was elsewhere - and 'white' southern Africa seems to be likely.

Lots of 'likelys', 'probablys' and 'seems', I know, but given the facts - like the lead pipe used as the murder weapon being cut from the lead pipe that was found in the car that LL borrowed after the event - then LL was most probably the perp., he then did a runner, and Lady L was left behind as a target for rumour-mongering gentry.

(Although the site - presumably unintentionally - still makes her look appallingly toffee-nosed, not 'showing off her wardrobe' at the inquest!)

Back